Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Teddy to Denver

csmopar

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Great deal for Denver, IMO!!!

All in with Sam Darnold, huh!!! Be careful what you wish for. :)

I’m still not convinced that Darnold can’t be a Top 12ish quarterback in the NFL.  And this move seems to suggest that the Panthers like what they have seen so far enough to tie their wagon to him and work on other positions.

If it pans out for them, they’ll have pulled off one of the bigger personnel coups in NFL history.  Darnold has a lot of years left in him.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’m still not convinced that Darnold can’t be a Top 12ish quarterback in the NFL.  And this move seems to suggest that the Panthers like what they have seen so far enough to tie their wagon to him and work on other positions.

If it pans out for them, they’ll have pulled off one of the bigger personnel coups in NFL history.  Darnold has a lot of years left in him.

Or it could be the biggest back fire in recent times too

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Great deal for Denver, IMO!!!

All in with Sam Darnold, huh!!! Be careful what you wish for. :)

Either that or they might be taking QB at #8?

At least they made their pick more valuable with the prospect of that happening.

The fact that the Panthers traded for Darnold to replace Bridgewater, then the Broncos traded for Bridgewater to potentially replace Lock, while Darnold and Lock are basically on the same level (IMO), is interesting. In fact, we've seen three years of Darnold's mediocrity, only two of Lock's.

It's also the second time Bridgewater has been traded because of Darnold...

Matt Rhule is a really good offensive coach. Darnold should be able to perform in Carolina. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

QB competition?

I was assuming they're still in the market for a first round QB. I mean, if they were before this deal, this shouldn't change anything.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

The fact that the Panthers traded for Darnold to replace Bridgewater, then the Broncos traded for Bridgewater to potentially replace Lock, while Darnold and Lock are basically on the same level (IMO), is interesting. In fact, we've seen three years of Darnold's mediocrity, only two of Lock's.

It's also the second time Bridgewater has been traded because of Darnold...

Matt Rhule is a really good offensive coach. Darnold should be able to perform in Carolina. 

I was assuming they're still in the market for a first round QB. I mean, if they were before this deal, this shouldn't change anything.

Some are guessing the Broncos did the trade because they think the 49ers are taking their preferred QB at 3(Lance) so they are moving onto another QB to add competition for Lock. But I doubt it. I don't think this is a trade of much consequence. The Panthers couldn't keep Bridgewater and the Broncos are getting a cheap option at QB for a sixth round pick and 3M of salary cap hit(Panthers are paying 7M of his salary it seems?). 

The Broncos have the 9th pick. With the acquisition of Bridgewatwr, I assume the Broncos are not in on any of the top 5 QB's,  right?

So do they think Bridgewater's is the answer over a top QB prospect??

He hasn't been the answer for like 10 other teams the last 5 years, why would he the answer in Denver?

Unless to move up 4 spots or so is way to expensive for them??

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Some are guessing the Broncos did the trade because they think the 49ers are taking their preferred QB at 3(Lance) so they are moving onto another QB to add competition for Lock. But I doubt it. I don't think this is a trade of much consequence. The Panthers couldn't keep Bridgewater and the Broncos are getting a cheap option at QB for a sixth round pick and 3M of salary cap hit(Panthers are paying 7M of his salary it seems?). 

I read the same about the salary. 

The Broncos are a little out of the loop. Atlanta, Cin, Detroit and Carolina all could trade with another team that wants a QB. If they really want a QB, Denver probably needs to trade up.

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

It looks to me more like the nonsense are getting a veteran backup for a rookie QB, and moving on from Lock.  If not a trade up, maybe Trask or Mills in the 2nd.

LOL. I meant the B's

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I read the same about the salary. 

The Broncos are a little out of the loop. Atlanta, Cin, Detroit and Carolina all could trade with another team that wants a QB. If they really want a QB, Denver probably needs to trade up.

The rationale is - they were preparing to trade up with Atlanta for Lance, but they believe the 49ers will pick Lance so now they can't get their guy, they've moved on. Another piece of the puzzle is Atlanta leaking today that they will stay at 4 and pick Pitts. Weirdness all around. I don't know how to react to those stories. Very little makes sense to me with the QBs in this draft. 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It looks to me more like the nonsense are getting a veteran backup for a rookie QB, and moving on from Lock.  If not a trade up, maybe Trask or Mills in the 2nd.

LOL. I meant the B's

Yeah... this is a more likely scenario IMO. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

The rationale is - they were preparing to trade up with Atlanta for Lance, but they believe the 49ers will pick Lance so now they can't get their guy, they've moved on. Another piece of the puzzle is Atlanta leaking today that they will stay at 4 and pick Pitts. Weirdness all around. I don't know how to react to those stories. Very little makes sense to me with the QBs in this draft. 

How about the fact that the Jets are probably the worst landing spot for Zach Wilson? Weirdness... what if they pick someone else?

What if Atlanta takes Pitts? Five through eight are suddenly as valuable as 1 and 2, IMO. So if the Broncos wanted Lance or Fields, and they're still on the board at #5, will they come up? Or maybe #6, since the Bengals never trade?

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

How about the fact that the Jets are probably the worst landing spot for Zach Wilson? Weirdness... what if they pick someone else?

What if Atlanta takes Pitts? Five through eight are suddenly as valuable as 1 and 2, IMO. So if the Broncos wanted Lance or Fields, and they're still on the board at #5, will they come up? Or maybe #6, since the Bengals never trade?

I don't know... it all makes very little sense to me. And in the chaos of it all the Pats will get one of Lance or Fields. Just watch. Those teams deserve to suffer if they allow the Pats to get in position for one of those QBs. Hell I would have preferred we go for one of them than trade for Wentz if I knew Fields can be there at 7 or 8... 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I don't know... it all makes very little sense to me. And in the chaos of it all the Pats will get one of Lance or Fields. Just watch. Those teams deserve to suffer if they allow the Pats to get in position for one of those QBs. Hell I would have preferred we go for one of them than trade for Wentz if I knew Fields can be there at 7 or 8... 

I'm fine with our trade and our QB. I think he's better than people are giving him credit for.

Also, I'm not sure McDaniels knows what he's doing with a young, mobile QB. Maybe I'm giving more weight to the 2020 season than I should, but Cam Newton looked awful as a passer. And McDaniels hasn't really had success with anyone besides Brady. Fields and Lance are super talented, but will need developing. I'm just not that worried about the Pats. I'm sure they'll find their way back to being really good, but I don't really care what they do.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm fine with our trade and our QB. I think he's better than people are giving him credit for.

I'm fine wiht our trade too and Wentz was in my top 3 options for QB this off-season too. But I would have preferred we go for a QB in the draft, especially if I knew we could get someone like Fields at 8 for example. 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Also, I'm not sure McDaniels knows what he's doing with a young, mobile QB. Maybe I'm giving more weight to the 2020 season than I should, but Cam Newton looked awful as a passer. And McDaniels hasn't really had success with anyone besides Brady. Fields and Lance are super talented, but will need developing. I'm just not that worried about the Pats. I'm sure they'll find their way back to being really good, but I don't really care what they do.

McDaniels might not be with the Pats for the long haul. I'm more worried about Belichick extending his tenure with a new QB and potentially new OC. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

They might!

Charlie Weis has been asking, 'why has everyone', and he means everyone, tagging Wilson to the Jets when Joe Douglas won't show his hand?

A longtime AFC executive recently said. "Is that written in stone somewhere? Seriously, have they come out and said it? Maybe Wilson is the pick, but you can't tell me he is absolutely a better prospect than Fields. We would take Fields there at 2. What if they do take Fields? Then San Francisco takes Wilson. Then New England comes up to 4 and gets Jones. There's no way that could happen?"

Bob Papa (NY Giants announcer) thinks Jets preference might have got leaked when the Panthers were sniffing to trade up to the Jets spot, but were steadfastly denied. Thus trade talks about Sam Darnold fired up.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

They also might!  Ryan appears he's going to be there for awhile.  But if they do grab Pitts, they really need 2 DE's immediately to follow in their next 2 draft picks.

33 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

They might!

Charlie Weis has been asking, 'why has everyone', and he means everyone, tagging Wilson to the Jets when Joe Douglas won't show his hand?

A longtime AFC executive recently said. "Is that written in stone somewhere? Seriously, have they come out and said it? Maybe Wilson is the pick, but you can't tell me he is absolutely a better prospect than Fields. We would take Fields there at 2. What if they do take Fields? Then San Francisco takes Wilson. Then New England comes up to 4 and gets Jones. There's no way that could happen?"

Bob Papa (NY Giants announcer) thinks Jets preference might have got leaked when the Panthers were sniffing to trade up to the Jets spot, but were steadfastly denied. Thus trade talks about Sam Darnold fired up.

They also might!  Ryan appears he's going to be there for awhile.  But if they do grab Pitts, they really need 2 DE's immediately to follow in their next 2 draft picks.

It seems pretty clear that the Jets are taking Wilson, but there hasn't been any real skepticism about that pick. If they don't, things could go haywire.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

It seems pretty clear that the Jets are taking Wilson, but there hasn't been any real skepticism about that pick. If they don't, things could go haywire.

Is it bad that I hope they don’t just because of the ensuing chaos? 

That would make for a very interesting night.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

the Broncos traded for Bridgewater to potentially replace Lock

New Broncos GM George Paton's familiarity with Bridgewater while Teddy was with the Vikings probably influenced this move. Paton was with the Vikings for many years and was there when Teddy played for the Vikes. 

I hope Teddy gets a legitimate chance to start. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

And that is what the NFL draft is all about... let everyone think you are doing one thing while you actually plan to do another.

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Is it bad that I hope they don’t just because of the ensuing chaos? 

That would make for a very interesting night.

There's still a chance J. Douglas might take different QB.  But SF has evaluated them that no matter who goes #1 and #2, they will still be OK with their #3 choice. What happens beyond that... :dunno:

9 hours ago, Superman said:

After we traded for Wentz I forgot to ask you - did you manage to watch some of those QBs? Do you like the Wilsons, Fields and Lances of the world? 

If I am the Lions, I can get a decent bounty if the Patriots move up to get Fields if he is there (which I think will happen based on all the news around him). The Lions' GM and coach have the leeway for a several year rebuild, so I would presume they would be willing to take a 1st and 2nd in this draft plus a future 2nd for Fields if the Patriots want to move up from No.15 to No.7.

I don't think the Patriots trade with the Falcons or Bengals or Dolphins, just my two cents.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

After we traded for Wentz I forgot to ask you - did you manage to watch some of those QBs? Do you like the Wilsons, Fields and Lances of the world? 

I did. Not as much as I would have. I like all of them. Lance is super impressive from a physical standpoint. Fields really impressed me with his toughness in the playoff win vs Clemson, and he has other really good games. They both have some fundamental work to do, but IMO they both have really high ceilings.

Wilson is really good, too. Natural arm talent, playmaker, gun slinger, and he also has a high ceiling. His build is not impressive. People had questioned his arm strength, but his arm is more than adequate. The concern I have is that things could go wrong for him easily, due to his style of play. A flurry of turnovers, bad sacks, whatever, and his rookie season could go haywire. And he's presumably going to a team with a historically bad track record of management and QB development, a defensive minded rookie head coach, a first time OC, a bad OL, no RBs, and a weak WR corps. He's in a tough division, and will have a few tough weather games.

I don't want any of these QBs to have to go to the Jets. Their best shot is with an established veteran who brings a huge presence -- if the Packers had moved on from Rodgers, or the Jets had traded Wilson. Other than that, I'm betting against any QB in NYJ, just based on history and circumstance.

16 hours ago, Superman said:

McDaniels is very overrated. He was terrible with Newton forcing him to try to run a hybrid of the Brady offense. I think the bigger issue for NE is Bill has never been an offensive guy and now without the cornerstone QB they are flailing. I do think they try to get one of the 5 QBs because they have to do. Bill had no succession plan after Brady which has now made them a mediocre team.

2 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

McDaniels is very overrated. He was terrible with Newton forcing him to try to run a hybrid of the Brady offense. I think the bigger issue for NE is Bill has never been an offensive guy and now without the cornerstone QB they are flailing. I do think they try to get one of the 5 QBs because they have to do. Bill had no succession plan after Brady which has now made them a mediocre team.

I'm really hoping the Pats don't get one of these QB's.   It looks like they may be able to stay where they are and get one of them if Denver goes a different direction and plans on Teddy being their QB.

As far as the Colts, last mock I seen had Paye going to Miami and the Colts choosing Phillips over Ojular.  The injury history and him quitting because of medical reasons is concerning too.

Jaelan Phillips was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school that landed at UCLA.

That star faded fast with the Bruins, with injuries limiting Phillips to just ten games his first two seasons. As a freshman, an ankle injury and concussion sidelined him. Then his sophomore year he suffered a wrist injury as a result of getting hit by a car and then got another concussion in game action.

All this leading to Phillips deciding to retire in December of 2018. But by February of 2019, Phillips instead chose to transfer to Miami, where after sitting out the 2019 campaign, he played in al 10 games for the Hurricanes this past season.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm really hoping the Pats don't get one of these QB's.   It looks like they may be able to stay where they are and get one of them if Denver goes a different direction and plans on Teddy being their QB.

As far as the Colts, last mock I seen had Paye going to Miami and the Colts choosing Phillips over Ojular.  The injury history and him quitting because of medical reasons is concerning too.

Jaelan Phillips was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school that landed at UCLA.

That star faded fast with the Bruins, with injuries limiting Phillips to just ten games his first two seasons. As a freshman, an ankle injury and concussion sidelined him. Then his sophomore year he suffered a wrist injury as a result of getting hit by a car and then got another concussion in game action.

All this leading to Phillips deciding to retire in December of 2018. But by February of 2019, Phillips instead chose to transfer to Miami, where after sitting out the 2019 campaign, he played in al 10 games for the Hurricanes this past season.

My worry is that the two best QBs are going to the AFC - Jags and Jets.  I know most don't think much of either org but Lawrence is an org changer type prospect and the Jets finally made a smart hire at HC. I think both teams could turn it around fast.

Archived