Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pick 21 Predictions

Many people in here and a lot of experts on ESPN keep saying the Colts will trade down. This is why Chris Ballard is great, I don't believe he will. He is great at doing the opposite of what people think he will do. I say he keeps the #21 and takes Sam Cosmi because Slater and Darrisaw will be gone at that point. We will see, I could be wrong. If he doesn't take Cosmi, he will take the best Edge Rusher available. We need LT and DE badly.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Trade down and take ot in the early 2nd round(Cosmi, Eichenberg, Leatherwood, Jenkins, Radunz) there will be very good offensive tackles who are capable of playing left tackle available in picks 33-45. My bold prediction for this draft is Ballard will not take a de before round 5.

The more we get closer, the more I think this is probably correct.  I'm not going to say round 5, but I think taking a first round d lineman when we spent a 1st rounder on Buckner last year is not spreading resources out like we need.  Ballard still has three second rounders he invested in the D line, not to mention money by extending Grover.  

I'm not saying that DE will not happen at 21, but the immediate need and the big picture roster/cap puzzle fitment suggests OT is a much higher priority than DE right now.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Even at 21 Cosmi would be worth it 

I agree, but you know there will be a ton of people saying " we could have traded down, picked up more picks and still landed him"

Which, of course, may be true or may not. It always cracks me up. People think it is like a store. You just go in and say I would like to trade down 6 slots to get player X and recieve ___ for compensation please.  

It takes a willing partner to trade and there never is a garuntee that your player will still be there. 

Not telling you anything you don't know.  Just predicting the boards reaction :)

I don't know. I kind of suspect it won't be terribly sexy as of tonight. Trading back and drafting guys on both lines seems like Ballard's style and consistent with the teams areas of need. But I don't know. 21 is kind of no mans land in terms of maximum value. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I don't know. I kind of suspect it won't be terribly sexy as of tonight. Trading back and drafting guys on both lines seems like Ballard's style and consistent with the teams areas of need. But I don't know. 21 is kind of no mans land in terms of maximum value. 

Yes it is no mans land. 

There is some chatter that the RBs are gathering attention so a trade out might not have to be because of a fallen star.  There could be some legit competition from teams wanting  to land their favorite RB.  Elite or very good RBs still don't go top 15 that often, IMO.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gigc said:

Here' a thought. I KNOW Ballard and Reich were at the Northwestern pro day. I THINK it was reported the were both at the Notre Dame pro day. I remember they both went to Q's Notre Dame pro day in 18. (Of course that's when we were picking at 3, not 21.)

But it's got to be worth paying attention to that Ballard attended 

That's why I think Newsome could be the guy if they stick at 21.

They were reportedly taking a big interest in Tommy Tremble while there, so that might have been the draw. Eichenberg also.

I think CB trades back from 21 to late 1st or early 2nd and getting an additional 3rd.

I think Balllard trades back into the late first,  gets a 3,  and takes.........    an Offensive Tackle.

I don't know which......

Note:   Peter King wondered if Ballard might not actually trade back --- Twice!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

They were reportedly taking a big interest in Tommy Tremble while there, so that might have been the draw. Eichenberg also.

I think CB trades back from 21 to late 1st or early 2nd and getting an additional 3rd.

Or awusu-koromoa...