Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caleb Farley test positive for Covid-19

Farley will not be able to attend the Draft in Cleveland. He tested positive for Covid-19. It's another rock in his path to an NFL carrer. Farley has been dealing with a back injury for more than two years. He has also had two surgeries since he last played in a game in 2019. Interestingly enough, Farley opted out of the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If the latest surgery rehab goes well, he might just be recovered for mini camp.

I can almost guarantee some teams have him as a big medical red flag (maybe even off their board and not on the side!) while a few other teams could be high risk gamblers.  Interesting story.

The lack of medicals on many kids, and the amount of 2020 player opt outs will give many teams/GM's pause.  I can assure you of players that grade closely to one another, the GM will take the guy that played in 2020 over the opt out player.

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Farley will not be able to attend the Draft in Cleveland. He tested positive for Covid-19. It's another rock in his path to an NFL carrer. Farley has been dealing with a back injury for more than two years. He has also had two surgeries since he last played in a game in 2019. Interestingly enough, Farley opted out of the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If the latest surgery rehab goes well, he might just be recovered for mini camp.

I can almost guarantee some teams have him as a big medical red flag (maybe even off their board and not on the side!) while a few other teams could be high risk gamblers.  Interesting story.

The lack of medicals on many kids, and the amount of 2020 player opt outs will give many teams/GM's pause.  I can assure you of players that grade closely to one another, the GM will take the guy that played in 2020 over the opt out player.

I honestly could see him falling out of 1st

Same with Gregory Rousseau 

Hope the kids alright though 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

If he get medically cleared... I hope we draft him. :dunno:

By whom, and when?  (physical and MRI)

57 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I honestly could see him falling out of 1st

You never can predict in these situations. But possible.

Same with Gregory Rousseau 

Hope the kids alright though 

I wonder if he has had a physical exam and an MRI by someone who will share the images and reports to other NFL team physicians? If not, are the medical information opinions leaked reliable?

His surgery was too recent for anyone to assume he's fine, but he should be good to go by training camp; if all goes well in rehab. He's has had portions of 2 herniated discs removed, at different levels.

https://www.spine-health.com/video/lumbar-microdiscectomy-surgery-video

That increases his possibility of incurring future back issues.

So he seems to potentially be a very high talent, short career player.  If you are a contender now (is that the Colts?), he may well be a good short term plug in. Teams building for the long term? Probably looking elsewhere.

We'll see.

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

By our medical staff.

The combine was cancelled. Teams couldn't hold private exams. Thus-

“We’re going to get the medical piecemeal, over time [from cities where prospects are training, and from a scaled-down April exam event in Indianapolis [of 150, not 330 prospects]. You’re not going to trust the medical as much."

“We’re not even allowed to sit down with players and have dinner with ‘em or put ‘em up on a blackboard or watch film with ‘em. Back to the Zoom thing again. It’s frustrating, but we all have to figure it out.”

One exec told his scouts "it’s our job to find a way to get the information we need and do it better than everybody else.”

The exec reflected on that, and added: “The reality is, it is harder. It is more difficult.” Here's but one story about it.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/26/teams-are-struggling-to-get-accurate-medical-info-on-draft-prospects/

Interviews can be done virtual. Medical and background checks are much harder to do. Remember, as Alabama HC Nick Saban puts it, NFL teams go through all kinds of hoops to "find a reason to NOT pick you (player)."

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The combine was cancelled. Teams couldn't hold private exams. Thus-

“We’re going to get the medical piecemeal, over time [from cities where prospects are training, and from a scaled-down April exam event in Indianapolis of 150, not 330 prospects]. You’re not going to trust the medical as much."

“We’re not even allowed to sit down with players and have dinner with ‘em or put ‘em up on a blackboard or watch film with ‘em. Back to the Zoom thing again. It’s frustrating, but we all have to figure it out.”

One exec told his scouts "it’s our job to find a way to get the information we need and do it better than everybody else.”

The exec reflected on that, and added: “The reality is, it is harder. It is more difficult.” Here's but one story about it.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/26/teams-are-struggling-to-get-accurate-medical-info-on-draft-prospects/

Interviews can be done virtual. Medical and background checks are much harder to do. Remember, as Alabama HC Nick Saban puts it, NFL teams go through all kinds of hoops to "find a reason to NOT pick you (player)."

Since the medical combine is held in Indy, I cannot imagine a situation where the Colts don't have the best possible information on the medicals with those players. It would be criminal if they cannot get good information from the local facility that hosts those players. I think the Colts are probably in uniquely advantageous situation this year with regard to those medicals. 

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Since the medical combine is held in Indy, I cannot imagine a situation where the Colts don't have the best possible information on the medicals with those players. It would be criminal if they cannot get good information from the local facility that hosts those players. I think the Colts are probably in uniquely advantageous situation this year with regard to those medicals. 

I have to think what is made known to the Colts is exactly the same thing as is made known to all 31 other teams.  

You don’t want an advantage of getting inside info because we’re the host city.   If it was found out we had some unfair advantage it would be cause to yank the Combine and medical right out of Indy. 

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

Since the medical combine is held in Indy, I cannot imagine a situation where the Colts don't have the best possible information on the medicals with those players. It would be criminal if they cannot get good information from the local facility that hosts those players. 

The NFL makes sure all 32 teams have the same info from the Indy medical checks. No team gets 'home field advantage'.

Not all round 1 - 3 players got to the medical testing in Indy, for various reasons.

Jaelan Phillips missed because he caught Covid. As did Liam Eichenberg, Ade Ogundeji, and Aaron Banks of Notre Dame. Trevor Lawrence bailed to get married. How many others missed?

So teams have to rely on what tests Caleb had done in Indy (I hope he made it there) and check his results/healing progression. He is not yet recovered at all right now.

I suspect rounds 4-7 players drafted are going to be massively miss and hit, even more so than usual.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have to think what is made known to the Colts is exactly the same thing as is made known to all 31 other teams.  

You don’t want an advantage of getting inside info because we’re the host city.   If it was found out we had some unfair advantage it would be cause to yank the Combine and medical right out of Indy. 

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The NFL makes sure all 32 teams have the same info from the Indy medical checks. No team gets 'home field advantage'.

Not all round 1 - 3 players got to the medical testing in Indy, for various reasons.

Jaelan Phillips missed because he caught Covid. As did Liam Eichenberg, Ade Ogundeji, and Aaron Banks of Notre Dame. Trevor Lawrence bailed to get married. How many others missed?

So teams have to rely on what tests Caleb had done in Indy (I hope he made it there) and check his results/healing progression. He is not yet recovered at all right now.

I suspect rounds 4-7 players drafted are going to massively miss and hit, even more so than usual.

I know that officially this is the case, but I cannot imagine a team having this important of a possibility for advantage and not taking it. Of course noone would advertise they did it and it will be done on the down low, but I can imagine them having connection that would help them with something specific they wanted to know about the prospects. 

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

I know that officially this is the case, but I cannot imagine a team having this important of a possibility for advantage and not taking it. Of course noone would advertise they did it and it will be done on the down low, but I can imagine them having connection that would help them with something specific they wanted to know about the prospects. 

On the surface, that seems plausible. But if all teams get 'all' the information, how can an advantage be created? On further investigation you find NFL team physicians have their own private or university practices, in addition to their work as team physicians. So it goes beyond team. Also their mission is for the care of the player, not necessarily the team.

https://nflps.org/about/

NFL Physicians Society Mission Statement

"The NFL Physicians Society was founded in 1966. Its mission is to provide excellence in the medical and surgical care to the athletes in the NFL and to provide direction and support for the athletic trainers in charge of the care for these athletes."

Doctors also attend national/international conferences and strike up friendships. Including the NFL combine. I think you can understand these doctors all may well know many, if not all the other teams physicians on other teams staff. 

Not easy to create and keep secrets, I'd think.

Here is a direct lift off the NFLPS page-

"Do team physicians share information among peers?" (for all players, existing and draft, even addressing those outside of the combine)

"The NFL team physicians work closely together on and off the field, and facilitate sharing of best practices, knowledge and medical information. The NFLPS holds an annual meeting at the time of the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, when team doctors share their experiences and research endeavors. NFL athletes often face highly unique and specific medical problems. If there are any difficult cases, a team physician is likely to call another team physician to obtain professional guidance and recommendations if needed. That said, the team doctors are aware of privacy issues as well as the competitive nature of the NFL and thus respect not only each player’s rights and privacy based on his specific injury, but also the sensitivities of sharing news of injuries within a particular team."

I think priority is player first. Not creating a disadvantage for the team is next. Trying to create an advantage is on down the list, if it's on there at all.

Archived