Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A question of mine (and yours) answered about when to sign more free agents....

This is straight from an article on the front of the website.

When can we sign free agents so they WON'T count against the draft pick compensation formula?

I'm cutting and pasting....

But there is something important to note here about anyone who's a remaining free agent: After 4 p.m. ET on May 3, if a player signs with a new team, he will not count against the 2022 compensatory pick formula. 

Free agency largely slows down in April because teams are not only focusing on the draft, but are eyeing that cutoff date. The last time an unrestricted free agent signed with a new team, as of this writing, was April 21; there have only been three of such moves in the last week.

Last year after April 27 — the deadline for free agent signings to be tied to comp picks — we saw a flurry of signings, including backup quarterback Jameis Winston (Saints) and 16-game starting safety Tashaun Gipson (Bears). Other players, like quarterback Andy Dalton, edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney and running back Carlos Hyde all waited to sign until after the comp pick deadline passed. 

"We have work to do," Ballard said. "I'm not sitting here saying we're some Super Bowl ready team. We have work to do and that work will not end when the draft is over. We will still try to acquire the best players we can that can help us between now and into the season. 

"I think I've said this ad nauseam, that player acquisition is not just the free agency and the draft. There are other times that you can acquire players and we'll continue to go down that road and dig and try to find the right fits for us and fill every need we have."

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is straight from an article on the front of the website.

When can we sign free agents so they WON'T count against the draft pick compensation formula?

I'm cutting and pasting....

But there is something important to note here about anyone who's a remaining free agent: After 4 p.m. ET on May 3, if a player signs with a new team, he will not count against the 2022 compensatory pick formula. 

Free agency largely slows down in April because teams are not only focusing on the draft, but are eyeing that cutoff date. The last time an unrestricted free agent signed with a new team, as of this writing, was April 21; there have only been three of such moves in the last week.

Last year after April 27 — the deadline for free agent signings to be tied to comp picks — we saw a flurry of signings, including backup quarterback Jameis Winston (Saints) and 16-game starting safety Tashaun Gipson (Bears). Other players, like quarterback Andy Dalton, edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney and running back Carlos Hyde all waited to sign until after the comp pick deadline passed. 

"We have work to do," Ballard said. "I'm not sitting here saying we're some Super Bowl ready team. We have work to do and that work will not end when the draft is over. We will still try to acquire the best players we can that can help us between now and into the season. 

"I think I've said this ad nauseam, that player acquisition is not just the free agency and the draft. There are other times that you can acquire players and we'll continue to go down that road and dig and try to find the right fits for us and fill every need we have."

Yeah, whatever Ballard can't fill in the draft and UDFA (for the most part), he'll try and fix with the 2nd wave of FAs. I can see Ballard re-signing Houston at a reduced price here after letting him test the market, or going after Ingram or Kerrigan where it won't cost us a compensatory pick we earned. I think Ballard wants to lock in those two picks we earned from Autry and Brissett, and is waiting it out until May 3rd to do so. 

Archived