Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Myth Behind Not Signing Andrew Luck Now

Flash7

Actually, I think there's some negotiation on length of contract with option year(s). The top pick may want 4 year contract with no option. The team would like 4 year deal with an option year. I'm not positive about that but it could be the only ploy in playing the head games with Luck. The $ is pretty straight forward...

Yes, they can negiotiate the length of the contract but by the time they are discussing length of contract that it's a pretty sure bet the Colts are going to draft him.

They haven't signed him yet because like many of stated... there is no reason to and several risks to doing it. Sign him the night before the draft.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they can negiotiate the length of the contract but by the time they are discussing length of contract that it's a pretty sure bet the Colts are going to draft him.

They haven't signed him yet because like many of stated... there is no reason to and several risks to doing it. Sign him the night before the draft.

The contract will be 4 years with an 5th year team option. That part isn't open for discussion. The only thing they can really negotiate is whether the Colts guarantee 100% of it, or not. I do agree with your 2nd part.

I don't think that should be a part of their thought process. I think the only thing that should matter right now should be getting the best player they can get. I'm sure they all believe that's Luck, and I think there's a 99.999% chance that Luck is the pick, regardless. I think Luck could get caught dancing shirtless on top of the Wall Street Bull, and the Colts would still pick him first overall. And I think that's the case because he's the best football player at the most important position in the sport (or sports period, if you ask me), and we need a player at that position. I think the decision was made before we cut Manning. I think it was made before the Combine when the Colts told Luck they didn't need to see him throw there.

However, if they are worried about making Luck feel good about this situation, then they are misdirecting their attention. This is a monumental decision that they have to get right, regardless of Luck's feelings. And how the Redskins are treating Griffin right now doesn't really matter. Luck will feel good when his name is called first. If he has a little bit of angst in the days and weeks before that, he'll get over it in about 3.4 seconds.

That said, I expect Irsay to call Luck at least a couple days before the draft and let him know that he'll be the pick. It wouldn't even surprise me for them to agree to terms before the draft. But here we are, three weeks before the draft, and if Irsay doesn't let Luck know what his decision is some time soon, I don't think Luck would decide to force his way out of Indy. That can't be on Irsay's radar right now.

Spot in.