Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Build-a-Ballard: Predicting 2021 Colts Draft using GM Trends

Hello all. So since we’re all deeply involved into who the Colts might pick, I thought a good way to narrow down some of the choices and look at Ballard’s recent draft trend. Stampede Blue had this great series they put out which deep dived into his trends for a few of the positions he’s drafted. I’ll link the articles below

Edge: 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/2/17/22286560/build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-defensive-end-in-the-2020-nfl-draft

OT:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/4/22312352/build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-offensive-tackle-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

CB:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/2/22/22293988/build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-cornerback-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

LB:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/29/22355636/nfl-draft-build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-linebacker-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

WR:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/12/22325969/build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-wide-receiver-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

So here are the common traits shared between each position:

-Senior Bowl guys (Has only drafted Senior bowl edge prospects I believe)

-Team Captains

-High level character

-Size and length (no one he’s drafted can be considered undersized, except Moore but he was a UDFA pickup)

-Elite RAS scores

Position Specific Traits:

LB’s:

-Super long arms

-Athletes 

Edge:

-Athletes

-Ability to kick inside on sub-packages

CB’s

-Long arms>height (according to the article 31” is actually the threshold)

-Have to be able to tackle

-Ball production 

OL

-Finishers and maulers

-Athletes

WRs:

-Wiling and good blockers

-Speed

Here are some prospects I’ve highlighted based on the data:

-Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB

-Spencer Brown, OT

-Baron Browning, LB

-Paulson Adebo, CB

-Nico Collins, WR

-Payton Turner, Edge

-Kwity Paye, Edge

-Alex Leatherwood, OT

-Ellerson Smith, Edge

Sone guys I’ve crossed off the Colts list

-Micah Parsons, LB (character)

-Jaelen Phillips, Edge (medical)

-Caleb Farley, CB (medical)

-Devonta Smith, WR (size)

-Jalen Mayfield (length and athleticism)

On the fence:

-Teven Jenkins, OT

-Gregory Rousseau, Edge

-Samuel Cosmi, OT

-Eric Stokes, CB

This is how I would base my mock draft, since Ballard is one of the more easier GM’s to predict when it comes to the draft. I think in last years Dr T. Draft contest we all had pretty much had him taking Pittman. Figured this would be a fun exercise. @NewColtsFan I think these trends are how Hicks came up with his final mock draft you posted.

40 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Hello all. So since we’re all deeply involved into who the Colts might pick, I thought a good way to narrow down some of the choices and look at Ballard’s recent draft trend. Stampede Blue had this great series they put out which deep dived into his trends for a few of the positions he’s drafted. I’ll link the articles below

Edge: 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/2/17/22286560/build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-defensive-end-in-the-2020-nfl-draft

OT:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/4/22312352/build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-offensive-tackle-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

CB:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/2/22/22293988/build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-cornerback-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

LB:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/29/22355636/nfl-draft-build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-linebacker-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

WR:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/12/22325969/build-a-ballard-who-the-colts-may-target-at-wide-receiver-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

-Team Captains

-High level character

-Size and length (no one he’s drafted can be considered undersized, except Moore but he was a UDFA pickup)

-Elite RAS scores

LB’s:

-Super long arms

-Athletes 

Edge:

-Athletes

CB’s

-Ball production 

OL

-Finishers and maulers

-Athletes

WRs:

-Speed

-Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB

-Spencer Brown, OT

-Baron Browning, LB

-Paulson Adebo, CB

-Nico Collins, WR

-Payton Turner, Edge

-Kwity Paye, Edge

-Alex Leatherwood, OT

-Ellerson Smith, Edge

On the fence:

-Teven Jenkins, OT

-Gregory Rousseau, Edge

-Samuel Cosmi, OT

-Eric Stokes, CB

This is how I would base my mock draft, since Ballard is one of the more easier GM’s to predict when it comes to the draft. I think in last years Dr T. Draft contest we all had pretty much had him taking Pittman. Figured this would be a fun exercise. @NewColtsFan I think these trends are how Hicks came up with his final mock draft you posted.

You think Ballard is easy to predict?   Really?

I’ve never thought that. 

I was going to make my yearly CB list of draft prospects wiht long arms and was shocked at how many of them there are this year. Usually you get about 9-10 that cover the 32" arm length(or close but good fit), but this year there are tons and tons of them... I counted about 20... here's the list I've made:

- Jaycee Horn - although... he's more of a press-man corner and less of a zone corner

- Patrick Surtain

- Greg Newsome 

- Caleb Farley

- Kelvin Joseph - rumor is... his off-fields are horrendous... one of the worst cases in a while... probably doesn't pass that test... but otherwise has the talent and traits

- Ifeatu Melifonwu - fits traits-wise... but again better in press-man than in zone 

- Eric Stokes

- Benjamin St-Juste !!! circle this one. IMO one of the better fits for what Ballard is looking for. 

- Tyson Campbell

- Ambry Thomas

- Paulson Adebo - another great fit

- Robert Rochell

- Shaun Wade - for the slot

- Marco Wilson... if we can stomach another Wilson(brother of Quincy)

- DJ Daniel

- Camryn Bynum

- Israel Mukuamu

- Antonio Phillips

- Jason Pinnock

- Nahshon Wright

- Bryan Mills

This is over 20 names... are they home cooking the arm-length measurements too? I don't know what ot make of it... 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

LB’s:

-Super long arms

-Athletes 

- Jamin Davis

- JOK

- no Micah Parsons ... short arms... 31 1/2

- Zaven Collins

- Pete Werner and Barron Browning

- Derrick Barnes

- potential position switch(from SS to LB): Jamien Sherwood(34" arms, plays at about the same weight Darius Leonard plays at)

Edge:

-Athletes

--Kwity Paye, Jayson Oweh, Azeez Ojulari, Jaelan Phillips

-Payton Turner

-Carlos Basham

-Rashad Weaver

-Joe Tryon

-Cameron Sample

-Jonathon Cooper

-Elerson Smith

-Joshua Kaindoh

-Chauncey Golston

(that's not a bad DE class IMO)

-Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB

-Spencer Brown, OT

-Baron Browning, LB

-Paulson Adebo, CB

-Nico Collins, WR

-Payton Turner, Edge

-Kwity Paye, Edge

-Alex Leatherwood, OT

-Ellerson Smith, Edge

On the fence:

-Teven Jenkins, OT

-Gregory Rousseau, Edge

-Samuel Cosmi, OT

-Eric Stokes, CB

Good list. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

According to last year draft contest's winner @PureLuck he is, guessing 4 picks right. :thmup:

I never said Ballard is easy to predict ;) - but by looking for traits he and our scouting department value, one can reduce the pool of players significantly. After a few years of data, we get a clearer picture of the traits that are valuable to our staff. Still, everyone is welcome to watch me fail to reproduce last years guesswork ;)

I'm waiting to see what GM/Team gets burned by {lack of} medicals this year. Players used to try to 'hide' medical issues at the combine. This time around should be much easier. Teams looking for info at this time are actually looking for more medical info, not so much player ability (that hay is in the barn).

Also, Opt out players will fall behind similarly graded (not necessarily same position) prospects that played in 2020.  GM's and teams want recent playing tape and gauge progression.  Playing tape from 2019 tells them nothing about how a player has evolved over 2020 heading into the draft.

Let's see how teams navigate this medical minefield this year.

I think Ballard's style leans more 'safe' than 'showboat' risk taking.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think Ballard is easy to predict?   Really?

I’ve never thought that. 

Not In terms of how he moves but in terms of the players he likes and will target. IMO he has a very specific type at most positions. Guys like Pittman, Taylor, and Okereke were mocked by a good amount of users here. Pittman was like the ultimate tell. Great athlete, team captain, Student athlete, good size, and great character. Now I’m not saying we’re draft experts or anything but I do think that the dots are somewhat easy to connect if you use Pittman as the base. And like some of the articles have mentioned sometimes he’s specific to the point of only ever having drafted Senior Bowl edge rushers (hello Payton Turner). Some of that is probably coincidence obviously but I think it leaves you with a very clear map of who Ballard will target. 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Kwity Paye, Jayson Oweh, Azeez Ojulari, Jaelan Phillips

-Payton Turner

-Carlos Basham

-Rashad Weaver

-Joe Tryon

-Cameron Sample

-Jonathon Cooper

-Elerson Smith

-Joshua Kaindoh

-Chauncey Golston

(that's not a bad DE class IMO)

Id be shocked if Paye, Turner, Smith, Basham, or Janarius Robinson (add him to the list), aren’t drafted by us. I like most of those guys you listed but I think those 5 are almost exact matches for the blueprint Ballard likes.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Benjamin St-Juste !!! circle this one. IMO one of the better fits for what Ballard is looking for. 

I haven’t seen his tape yet but it’s not too late to watch!!!!

Two points to add....   understanding the article claims that the desired arm length for corners is 31”, id say this...   it’s either a typo, or they think their number is right, but it’s not because they’re wrong.   

I’ve seen video and read too many articles with Ballard and Dodds talking about their discussion on Moore.   Both men said the same line...  “well, he is short, but at least he has 32 inch arms.”    They’ve repeatedly talked about it in all sorts of stories, not just with Moore.   I don’t think it’s a 100% disqualifier if they’re close to the number, but 32 is the desired number.

And to whoever said Micah Parsons wouldn’t be acceptable because his arms are only 31.5 I’d say that’s likely wrong too.  I think the rest of his physical tools are so far over what we want, that he’s not getting cut due to a half inch.

But I would say Parsons is highly likely NOT on our board.  He has TWO very bad character incidents (that we’re aware of)  and those two are very likely easily disqualifying for the Colts.  He’d flunk the character test with ease. 

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Edge: 

OT:

CB:

LB:

WR:

-Team Captains

-High level character

-Elite RAS scores

LB’s:

-Super long arms

-Athletes 

Edge:

-Athletes

CB’s

-Ball production 

OL

-Finishers and maulers

-Athletes

WRs:

-Speed

-Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB

-Spencer Brown, OT

-Baron Browning, LB

-Paulson Adebo, CB

-Nico Collins, WR

-Payton Turner, Edge

-Kwity Paye, Edge

-Alex Leatherwood, OT

-Ellerson Smith, Edge

On the fence:

-Teven Jenkins, OT

-Gregory Rousseau, Edge

-Samuel Cosmi, OT

-Eric Stokes, CB

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Edge: 

OT:

CB:

LB:

WR:

-Team Captains

-High level character

-Elite RAS scores

LB’s:

-Super long arms

-Athletes 

Edge:

-Athletes

CB’s

-Ball production 

OL

-Finishers and maulers

-Athletes

WRs:

-Speed

-Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB

-Spencer Brown, OT

-Baron Browning, LB

-Paulson Adebo, CB

-Nico Collins, WR

-Payton Turner, Edge

-Kwity Paye, Edge

-Alex Leatherwood, OT

-Ellerson Smith, Edge

On the fence:

-Teven Jenkins, OT

-Gregory Rousseau, Edge

-Samuel Cosmi, OT

-Eric Stokes, CB

Trades back.......but since everyone says he likes players with long arms, maybe he chooses a Grey, you know, the kind that crashed in Roswell. They have long arms and fit our culture but are usually kinda short. Maybe as a kicker.?....haha

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two points to add....   understanding the article claims that the desired arm length for corners is 31”, id say this...   it’s either a typo, or they think their number is right, but it’s not because they’re wrong.   

I’ve seen video and read too many articles with Ballard and Dodds talking about their discussion on Moore.   Both men said the same line...  “well, he is short, but at least he has 32 inch arms.”    They’ve repeatedly talked about it in all sorts of stories, not just with Moore.   I don’t think it’s a 100% disqualifier if they’re close to the number, but 32 is the desired number.

And to whoever said Micah Parsons wouldn’t be acceptable because his arms are only 31.5 I’d say that’s likely wrong too.  I think the rest of his physical tools are so far over what we want, that he’s not getting cut due to a half inch.

But I would say Parsons is highly likely NOT on our board.  He has TWO very bad character incidents (that we’re aware of)  and those two are very likely easily disqualifying for the Colts.  He’d flunk the character test with ease. 

Well in the article on CB’s it did say that he drafted two players with 31” arms. But considering he didn’t do the drafting in KC, we’ll knock it down to one, which was Nate Hairston. But you may be right there. I would imagine they can live with 31 if the player is at least tall though. Your boy Adebo has 31” arms but he’s 6’1” and a natural fit in zone so I think they’d still take him.

But I also have Parsons off the list for character and not any measureables. His issues are huge red flags to me.

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Well in the article on CB’s it did say that he drafted two players with 31” arms. But considering he didn’t do the drafting in KC, we’ll knock it down to one, which was Nate Hairston. But you may be right there. I would imagine they can live with 31 if the player is at least tall though. Your boy Adebo has 31” arms but he’s 6’1” and a natural fit in zone so I think they’d still take him.

But I also have Parsons off the list for character and not any measureables. His issues are huge red flags to me.

Hey...  I just double-checked...    Adebo has 31.5 inch arms!   My Stanford boys need every half inch we can get!       :thmup:

Okay So I’ve narrowed it down a bit by applying some filters:

-Anyone who was a team captain

-At least a 9 RAS

-Seniors

-Only players who have character that people rave about

-Length

-No significant medical concerns

-Some type of academic accomplishment

If you put those filters on you get:

Carlos Basham, DE Wake Forest (also one of the few guys Ballard got to get his hands on for medical in Indy. Also has his degree already)

Payton Turner, DE Houston

Alex Leatherwood, OT Alabama (also graduated early from High school)

Kwity Paye, DE Michigan (character is reportedly out of this world. Unique backstory)

Ellerson Smith, DE UNI

*Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB Syracuse (was a game day captain but never a full team captain)

Sean Wade, CB Ohio State

Guys on the fence:

-Nick Eubanks, TE Michigan- Every box checked except his RAS was 8.61

-Nico Collins, WR Michigan- Every box checked except he wasn’t a team captain

Will keep updating as I do more research.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

-At least a 9 RAS

-Seniors

-Length

Carlos Basham, DE Wake Forest (also one of the few guys Ballard got to get his hands on for medical in Indy. Also has his degree already)

Kwity Paye, DE Michigan (character is reportedly out of this world. Unique backstory)

Ellerson Smith, DE UNI

*Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB Syracuse (was a game day captain but never a full team captain)

Sean Wade, CB Ohio State

Guys on the fence:

We have actually shown interest in Melifonwu. I wouldn't be surprised if we get him in Round 2. I could see a trade back, take Alex Leatherwood and Melinfonwu in the first two rounds, and if we get a round 3 pick, go Nico Collins. Just a guess.

IMO, the absolute tailor-made-for-the-Colts players in this draft are:

1) Dillon Radunz

2) Elerson Smith

3) Tommy Tremble

Also, Sam Cosmi and Chris Rumph II are pretty close.  I really wish Rumph had been able to work out to be more certain, as there are questions about his speed and athleticism as a LB conversion.  But his versatility, length, pass-rushing ability, and smarts as a coach’s son are perfect for us.  I see great usefulness in 3rd down subpackages when we’re simulating blitz...

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

A little more insight on the Colts history with RAS

image.png.8d61e5afa462c02579a66cc30a6e9d6b.png

Also add to the list:

-Rashod Bateman, WR Minnesota. All boxes checked

Lol on Leonard.  I remember he pulled up lame on his one shot at the forty with a hamstring (I believe).  I don’t think he could do any other combine drills after that, so the only # they had on him was a laughably slow forty time.  I remember that # being quoted by draftniks without noting that he pulled up at the end of the run...

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

Lol on Leonard.  I remember he pulled up lame on his one shot at the forty with a hamstring (I believe).  I don’t think he could do any other combine drills after that, so the only # they had on him was a laughably slow forty time.  I remember that # being quoted by draftniks without noting that he pulled up at the end of the run...

Yeah Ballard even said he changed the number on his card because they wouldn’t actually draft a LB who ran a 4.7 lol. But yeah that aggravated me as well at first.

Also add to the list:

Tyson Campbell, CB Georgia not a senior but he checks all the boxes. Georgia does game day captains and he’s been one on more than one occasion.

Tre McKitty, TE Georgia

Tommy Tremble, TE Notre Dame

Ill have a list coming shortly of the most likely players to be drafted by the Colts based on who most aligns with what Ballard and the staff value. I’ll drop a mock in a separate topic.

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

-At least a 9 RAS

-Seniors

-Length

Ellerson Smith, DE UNI

Sean Wade, CB Ohio State

Guys on the fence:

I realllllly like Elerson Smith. He's too light, but man, he's an impressive pass rusher

Okay so here it is. Compiling all the data that takes into account all the traits we discussed, here are my top 10 “Ballard” guys, or guys most likely to be drafted by the team. These are in order

1. Payton Turner, DE Houston- There isn’t a more perfect fit for the Colts than this. Super long, high RAS, Senior Bowl, and team captain. Has the ability to slide inside in subpackages. 

2. Samuel Cosmi, OT Texas- This is probably really a 2A with the next person listed. But he’s an elite athlete who only has 33” arms (but so does almost every other tackle in this class). He was a team captain and although he’s a junior he started 34 out of 35 games in college. Plenty of experience at LT.

3. Alex Leatherwood, OT Alabama- Much like Cosmi, he pretty much checks every box from a H/W/S standpoint. Also a team captain. I think he is a little more refined than Cosmi.

4. Kwity Paye, DE Michigan- Paye isn’t as tall as Turner, but he’s even more explosive. His story is absolutely incredible (and a bit of a tear jerker) and so is his work ethic is as well. He’s an easy fit and day 1 starter in our scheme.

5. Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB Syracuse- Out of all the corners in the draft, Melifonwu is the best fit. H/W/S is excellent and he may be the best tackling CB in the draft. Ideal fit in zone too.

6. Rashod Bateman, WR Minnesota- I know in the 1st round we have more pertinent needs, but I still have to point out how Bateman is a Ballard guide. A team captain who is the clear WR4 in this class,Bateman has explosive speed to go with nuanced route running and the ability to line up in a couple different spots.

7. Carlos Basham, DE Wake Forest- The best way to describe Basham is that he’s a rich man’s Tyquan Lewis. While his measureables aren’t significantly better, his play on the field is. He’s a very technical pass rusher who also offers the best upside as a sub package player on the interior with his size. Another team captain as well.

8. Nico Collins, WR Michigan- Possibly the most toolsy WR in the draft. Collins is an explosive playmaker with the explosive play making ability that Ballard loves. Had a great showing at the Senior Bowl. Just raw because he had Shea Patterson as a QB and opted out in 2020. He’s a poor man’s DK Metcalf.

9. Joseph Ossai, Edge- Simple here. He has the measureables, he was a team captain, and is a high character player. 

10. Teven Jenkins, OT OSU- What junos out at Toub is the absolutely destructive play style and elite finishing ability. While length is ideal, he’s a very good athlete (9+ RAS) in his own right. Team player and when he’s not embarrassing people on the field, he’s a very mild mannered guy off of it.

Archived