Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King FMIA article tells Colts draft plans?

Coltsfan0112

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/26/2021-nfl-mock-draft-fmia-peter-king/

3) A record number of teams want to go down. “I’d say 35 to 75 is the hotbed of this draft,” one GM trying to move down from the twenties told me Sunday. I’m projecting a couple of small trades in my mock

Trade: Indianapolis trades 21st pick to Cleveland for the 26th pick and a third-round choice, 91st overall.

21. Cleveland Browns—Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame 

26. Indianapolis Colts (from Cleveland)—Samuel Cosmi, T, Texas

Tackle Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame is possible (Colts GM Chris Ballard and coach Frank Reich were at his Pro Day, for what that’s worth), because he’s a steady-Eddie guy, reliable like the retired Anthony Castonzo. But Cosmi’s upside is probably higher. Cosmi started 34 games at tackle for Texas—21 at left tackle, 13 at right—and at 6-6 and 315 pounds had an NFL frame with the ability to get a little bigger.

One other thing about this pick: I could see the Colts trade down again to pick up another third or fourth-round pick, or a pick next year, because they figure they can get a tackle around 35 anyway. One of the things I expect to see, particularly lower in the round, will be for teams to look for 2022 picks either instead of or in addition to a 2021 pick. That’s because teams trust the 2022 draft more than this year’s. There will be a full season, most likely, with a regular combine.

As quoted from Peter King he says "35 to 75 is the hotspot per one GM"

A Gm that picks in the 20's want to trade down and says again at pick 26 he says don't be surprised that Ballard trades back because he figures to get a tackle at 35 anyways. 35 being the hotspot???? Connecting the dots

Ballard trading back is a pretty good bet in most years, but this one being an almost certainty seeing as how he used his 3rd for the Wentz trade.  I think the only thing that would prevent him from moving back is if a blue-chipper on his board unexpectedly fell to him.  I wouldn't mind getting another 3rd for Cosmi at 26.

8 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Ballard trading back is a pretty good bet in most years, but this one being an almost certainty seeing as how he used his 3rd for the Wentz trade.  I think the only thing that would prevent him from moving back is if a blue-chipper on his board unexpectedly fell to him.  I wouldn't mind getting another 3rd for Cosmi at 26.

One other thing could stop him, lack of a trading partner wanting pick 21.....

I also think the sweet spot of the draft is not in late round 1.  I'll bet that a record number of GMs want to trade down, meaning a record number don't want to trade up.  So, good luck with that.  I'd love to see it, but luck is going to play a huge part.  The right guy has to fall to 21 for another team to want to move up, IMO.

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm torn on trading back.   I'd like for Ballard to take the BPA for a need at 21 (providing he is that high on his board.  However, trading back a few spots for a 3rd rounder would be OK too.  

But if we could get the same player at 26 than at 21, I'm all for it.

For the third rounder; Tommy Tremble TE, Amon Ra-St Brown WR, or Tyson Campbell/Trill Williams CBs, would help the roster nicely.

Jabril Cox ILB, or a backend FS too.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I also think the sweet spot of the draft is not in late round 1.  I'll bet that a record number of GMs want to trade down, meaning a record number don't want to trade up.  So, good luck with that.  I'd love to see it, but luck is going to play a huge part.  The right guy has to fall to 21 for another team to want to move up, IMO.

5th year option is a reason teams like the end of the 1st, rather than top of the 2nd.  And with a LT, that one year can be big.  Q is a similar example.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Yep. If everyone wants to move down it’s going to be hard to live up unless someone special falls. And if that happens colts stay at 21 and pick.

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/26/2021-nfl-mock-draft-fmia-peter-king/

3) A record number of teams want to go down. “I’d say 35 to 75 is the hotbed of this draft,” one GM trying to move down from the twenties told me Sunday. I’m projecting a couple of small trades in my mock

Trade: Indianapolis trades 21st pick to Cleveland for the 26th pick and a third-round choice, 91st overall.

Tackle Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame is possible (Colts GM Chris Ballard and coach Frank Reich were at his Pro Day, for what that’s worth), because he’s a steady-Eddie guy, reliable like the retired Anthony Castonzo. But Cosmi’s upside is probably higher. Cosmi started 34 games at tackle for Texas—21 at left tackle, 13 at right—and at 6-6 and 315 pounds had an NFL frame with the ability to get a little bigger.

One other thing about this pick: I could see the Colts trade down again to pick up another third or fourth-round pick, or a pick next year, because they figure they can get a tackle around 35 anyway. One of the things I expect to see, particularly lower in the round, will be for teams to look for 2022 picks either instead of or in addition to a 2021 pick. That’s because teams trust the 2022 draft more than this year’s. There will be a full season, most likely, with a regular combine.

As quoted from Peter King he says "35 to 75 is the hotspot per one GM"

A Gm that picks in the 20's want to trade down and says again at pick 26 he says don't be surprised that Ballard trades back because he figures to get a tackle at 35 anyways. 35 being the hotspot???? Connecting the dots

I guess my question would be...if a record number of teams want to move down...how are the Colts getting extra 3rd round picks? Sounds like a buyer's market for trading up to me.

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

5th year option is a reason teams like the end of the 1st, rather than top of the 2nd.  And with a LT, that one year can be big.  Q is a similar example.

True.  I hope we take the trade down into the top of the second.  I'd prefer to have the 3rd round pick more than the 5th year option.

I doubt Peter king knows the Colts draft plans to give them away. 

He was just using the Colts as an example to illustrate his point.  Someone else did that over the weekend saying the Saints could go up to 21 to get a WR or CB and give the Colts 28 and two thirds for it.  

given Ballard’s history of trading back and wanting more picks the Colts lend themselves to these examples.  

I wouldn’t read into it.

After doing the draft simulation on PFF hundreds of times (I need a life lol) the best case scenario includes trading down, even twice to garner additional picks in the second and third rounds.  This allows the Colts to fill needs that correlate to the value of the players where they are taken.  Just my two cents....

Joseph

I expect a trade down this year more than years past, even if one of Ballard’s “difference makers” are left. I think he’s said there are what? 6 or so of them they’ve labeled that way.

Ballard made the Wentz deal with the intent that it would be a first round pick headed to Philly next year. If it winds up being the second rounder then things have gone off the rails to the point that it doesn’t matter what his plan was at the outset, because it’s gone out the window. So he’s been working without that 2022 1st round pick in mind, and I think he may try to add one back this year if someone offers him a deal he can do that with, even if there is still a difference maker on the board. 

Ballard isn’t afraid to prioritize the long-play over the short one, and if I had to bet right now, I’d say he moves back Thursday if he gets a proper chance. 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

All I know is if I stay up to midnight again waiting for the Colts to pick and they trade back with Paye on the board, I may just scream loud enough for Ballard to hear me all the way in New York

Since I expect something like this to happen, I'll have to step outside and see if I can hear you lol

10 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

Tackle Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame is possible (Colts GM Chris Ballard and coach Frank Reich were at his Pro Day, for what that’s worth), because he’s a steady-Eddie guy, reliable like the retired Anthony Castonzo.

OMG wow.  Check out my "Final April Mock".  This is the exact trade I proposed (Trade down to Browns 26 and pick up their 3rd) and choose Eichenberg with the 26th.  Genius.  Pure Genius.

57 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I expect a trade down this year more than years past, even if one of Ballard’s “difference makers” are left. I think he’s said there are what? 6 or so of them they’ve labeled that way.

Ballard made the Wentz deal with the intent that it would be a first round pick headed to Philly next year. If it winds up being the second rounder then things have gone off the rails to the point that it doesn’t matter what his plan was at the outset, because it’s gone out the window. So he’s been working without that 2022 1st round pick in mind, and I think he may try to add one back this year if someone offers him a deal he can do that with, even if there is still a difference maker on the board. 

Ballard isn’t afraid to prioritize the long-play over the short one, and if I had to bet right now, I’d say he moves back Thursday if he gets a proper chance. 

That's a great way to look at it.  The Wentz deal was about him playing a certain number of games.  That is pure injury insurance.  A person does not make plans to cash in on their insurance,  Their plan is to not use it.

So Ballard is working under the idea that he will have no first round pick next year.

How does that impact this draft?  Well, if he doesn't find a LT this draft, he's not going to be in a better position next drat to find one either.

Just continuing the thought.  Don't count out Mike McGlinchy being involved somehow this year.

Edit:  No that this is Colts news, but I'll post this here to follow up on my thought:

https://nfltraderumors.co/49ers-to-exercise-fifth-year-option-on-ot-mike-mcglinchey/

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

All I know is if I stay up to midnight again waiting for the Colts to pick and they trade back with Paye on the board, I may just scream loud enough for Ballard to hear me all the way in New York

I'd say there’s a very good chance that you have a sore throat on Friday.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The Best Star Ship Captain ever.....but he had a excellent crew too.

Spock, best first officer in fleet.

Scotty, best engineer I ever seen. He knew more about the warp engines than the designers. :applause:

Don’t forget McCoy. “I’m a doctor, not a bricklayer!”

Mentioned several times I hope we get a multiplier (small trade back to pick up a 3rd), but not sure the market will be there for strong offers. It only takes one guy dropping that one team likes though. Hoping the NYJs or another team are in a giving mood again.

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

But if we could get the same player at 26 than at 21, I'm all for it.

For the third rounder; Tommy Tremble TE, Amon Ra-St Brown WR, or Tyson Campbell/Trill Williams CBs, would help the roster nicely.

Jabril Cox ILB, or a backend FS too.

Farley....OT..and then Tremble. That I my top 3 picks

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Mentioned several times I hope we get a multiplier (small trade back to pick up a 3rd), but not sure the market will be there for strong offers. It only takes one guy dropping that one team likes though. Hoping the NYJs or another team are in a giving mood again.

Yeah, I just don't think it is the year to trade back. To many teams want out. It seems lik every team in the top ten past pick 3 want out. I almost think there is s better chance of them trading up then back lol.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's a great way to look at it.  The Wentz deal was about him playing a certain number of games.  That is pure injury insurance.  A person does not make plans to cash in on their insurance,  Their plan is to not use it.

So Ballard is working under the idea that he will have no first round pick next year.

How does that impact this draft?  Well, if he doesn't find a LT this draft, he's not going to be in a better position next drat to find one either.

Just continuing the thought.  Don't count out Mike McGlinchy being involved somehow this year.

Edit:  No that this is Colts news, but I'll post this here to follow up on my thought:

https://nfltraderumors.co/49ers-to-exercise-fifth-year-option-on-ot-mike-mcglinchey/

Pair him up with Q?! Yes please!!

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah, I just don't think it is the year to trade back. To many teams want out. It seems lik every team in the top ten past pick 3 want out. I almost think there is s better chance of them trading up then back lol.

First, I don't believe much of what the talking heads say or predict. That said, I'd be more than fine with staying at 21 and taking a DE, and getting a LT in the second. Who knows though. Like I said, it only takes one team to want one guy, so anything can happen. There's a few teams out there with a ton of draft capital, and if they like a guy, they have the picks to move. And teams are always trying to outthink and snipe others to get their guy. I can see both Jax and NYJ making moves knowing they'll need to surround their QBs. I wouldn't rule out Philly either. 

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

First, I don't believe much of what the talking heads say or predict. That said, I'd be more than fine with staying at 21 and taking a DE, and getting a LT in the second. Who knows though. Like I said, it only takes one team to want one guy, so anything can happen. There's a few teams out there with a ton of draft capital, and if they like a guy, they have the picks to move. And teams are always trying to outthink and snipe others to get their guy. I can see both Jax and NYJ making moves knowing they'll need to surround their QBs. I wouldn't rule out Philly either. 

I don't see that value at 21 for Dend. I'm sticking to corner lol

What King said about multiple teams possibly wanting to trade back is exactly why as a previous poster mentioned, this is a buyer's market and not a seller's market.

You could totally see a team that is looking to move back have to take a much smaller deal than usual to do so.

Something like getting only a 4th rounder to move back in the first.

Or a 3rd rounder to move out of the first and into the top of the second. 

Remember last year the Patriots traded 23 to the Chargers for 37 and 71 (2 and 3)

If we want even a 3, we are likely looking at having to trade down into the second from the first. Not just move back 5 picks like King said. 

Also last year moving back from 26 to 30 netted the dolphins only a 4th and moving back from 25 to 31 netted the Vikings a 4 and 5.

My point is that if Ballard wants to move back and recoup the missing 3rd he has to trade out of the first round into the second unless multiple teams are dying to move up. Which in this draft seems unlikely.

34 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If Farley is there at #21..u take him??

20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If Farley is there at #21..u take him??

I like Farley, but......

Farley has only been a CB for 2 years (converted from WR). He opted out last year, and missed another year due to injury. His INTs in 2019 were vs Furman and 2 very bad QBs at Miami and GT.

He's not the no-brainer you want in the 1st round, and just as many questions if not more than the DEs.

Archived