Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Final Thought About Paye......

Whatever the exact measurements are Paye is a special athlete and it shows on tape. What I loved seeing this year from him is some improvement with his technique and hand usage. He also sounds like a guy with good head on his shoulders so you can probably expect even more improvement - he's obviously worked a lot on his physical testing, and you can see the progression he's made with his technique on tape from one year to the next. I see no reason to think he wouldn't succeed in the league. I'd be ecstatic if we drafted him at 21. 

On 4/25/2021 at 5:50 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Its a Sunday afternoon, so I have a few minutes after church

As everyone knows Paye ran a 4.52 on his 40 yard dash on his Pro Day

He also ran a 4.57, which is amazing as well

Using the higher 4.57 40 time and comparing it to all DE prospects NOT PR OLBS)  the past few years from the combine I found some interesting things

In 2016 There were 39 DEs that ran in the combine, None beat the 4.57 Time

In 2017 There were 58 DEs that ran at the combine, None beat the 4.57 Time

In 2018 There were  48 DEs that ran at the combine. None beat the 4.57 time

In 2019 There was 37 DEs that ran at the combine, None beat the 4.57 time

In 2020 There were 24 DEs that ran a the combine, None beat the 4.57 time

In 2021There are 31 DEs that ran on their pro days..... TWO beat the 4.57 time (Both at Penn State)

So..... out of 229 total defensive end prospects, only TWO had a better 40 time,

He is in the top ONE %

The kid is freaky fast

Also

In this same time period, only 7 players met or exceeded his number of bench reps, out of 229 prospects

The kid has explosion, and is strong as an ox...... needs some work, but you cant teach speed

I think this kid has some amazing upside.......  I hope that we get him

LDE for the Colts for the next 10 years

I don't think I could handle four plus years of the guys name....lol

Just a thought.....

Last year, the Colts felt Jonathan Taylor was a difference maker......  The Colts gave up 2 picks to move up to get him

3 Years ago the Colts gave up picks for what the felt was a difference maker in Tyquan Lewis

I wonder if Paye is considered a "difference maker" to CB

I wonder if they consider moving up to ensure that they get him?

If he ends up being a pro bowler, its was a great decision

If he ends up an average player, its a bad decision

With fewer picks this year, I doubt that the Colts move up. If anything they move back......

But....... IF Paye is THEIR GUY..... Stand on the table for guy.....

Dont be surprised to see a trade up to ensure that they get him.....

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Just a thought.....

Last year, the Colts felt Jonathan Taylor was a difference maker......  The Colts gave up 2 picks to move up to get him

3 Years ago the Colts gave up picks for what the felt was a difference maker in Tyquan Lewis

With fewer picks this year, I doubt that the Colts move up. If anything they move back......

We gave up a 5 or a 6 to get Lewis.

We gave up a 5 to get Taylor. 

we don’t have a 3 to trade up.  A 4 doesn't move you very far in the first round.   Do you really want to trade a 2 to move up?   And have no picks on Day Two?

We’re already down to just 6 draft picks and we clearly want more. 

I think this answers your question. 

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Just a thought.....

I think it depends where we are moving up to for Paye. If he goes early (10-16) I think he is gone and CB is looking at others. If both him and say Phillips are gone I think a few teams behind us inquire about trading for Ojulari. Titans, Browns, Ravens are a few teams that might want another edge guy. I can say with confidence that this draft will be crazy. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

we don’t have a 3 to trade up.  A 4 doesn't move you very far in the first round.   Do you really want to trade a 2 to move up?   And have no picks on Day Two?

I do agree with you on the potential of a trade up being unlikely but if Ballard feels we are close to a “difference maker” is there at say 17 to 20 he might trade up. I doubt anything further because of capital. Just my opinion obviously. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree on this.  The only way I can see us moving up is if we trade a player to do so.  Or a player and a pick.  Hines for example.  Even under that scenario I don’t see us moving up.  

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree on this.  The only way I can see us moving up is if we trade a player to do so.  Or a player and a pick.  Hines for example.  Even under that scenario I don’t see us moving up.  

I don’t think we have any players that we would trade that other teams see as a value unless you are looking at later rounds. Hines is loved by our staff so I can’t see that happening. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Draft picks are vastly overrated.

Most picks are out of the league in 2 years or end up being castoffs. For every Braden Smith in the 2nd round, there are 50 Quincy Wilsons. If we KNOW a player will be a success, I would easily trade an entire draft class for him.

10 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Most picks are out of the league in 2 years or end up being castoffs. For every Braden Smith in the 2nd round, there are 50 Quincy Wilsons. If we KNOW a player will be a success, I would easily trade an entire draft class for him.

Huh?   WTH? 

You just took the issues of draft picks for all 32 teams and applied it to the Indianapolis Colts.   The Colts under Chris Ballard.

Have you paid ANY attention to the last four years?   Draft picks are NOT over-rated.  They are the life blood of the Colts.   If our GM was still Ryan Grigson, you’d have a pretty good argument.   But he’s gone.  Ballard is our GM and we’re a successful team, a well run team, and after the Grigson years, we’re better off for it. 

This is one of the most head scratching posts I’ve read in a long time.   The complete opposite is true.   I have no idea what you’re thinking?

Sorry. 

Paye has an amazing backstory, but if you notice, the kid has strabismus, the medical term for being cross-eyed. When developed acutely (usually by trauma), it almost always causes double vision (diplopia), but most adults have it as a chronic condition caused by having a dominant eye during childhood. The weak or "lazy" eye (amblyopia) can be treated as a child (usually best if before the age of 5) by patching the good eye to avoid strabismus later, but this often does not happen. As a result, many adults with chronic strabismus have the ability to avoid diplopia by having their brain develop the capacity to shut one of the eyeballs off temporarily and essentially they walk around with monocular vision, which I would think could be a disadvantage for a football player. Sometimes eye surgery or prisms in special glasses can correct double vision, but again, not ideal, I would imagine for a football player.

8 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Not sure you really understand the importance of the draft. Almost every person in the HOF was drafted at some point. To say draft picks as a whole are vastly overrated is shortsighted.

Archived