Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Draft Hypotheticals

Hypothetical 1: 2nd round Edge Rusher  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather take at edge at pick 54 and why?

• Carlos “Boogie” Basham, Wake Forest
    • Payton Turner, Houston

If these are the only two choices for this exercise....

I'm a Turner guy.    He has all the traits and tools that Ballard seems to covet.   Height, weight, arm length, athleticism, first step quickness...   bendy, twitchy...    But he's raw and will need time to develop.

Basham is 6'3" and now 275,  but what I've read is he lost weight to test better because he typically plays at 285.    I read an interview with him back in Jan/Feb where he said his favorite position is the 5-tech,  which is a 3-4 DE.    So, I'm not sure he's a scheme fit for what Ballard/Fluss like to run.      Not that he's a bad player -- he's not -- but that he might not fit what we want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If these are the only two choices for this exercise....

I'm a Turner guy.    He has all the traits and tools that Ballard seems to covet.   Height, weight, arm length, athleticism, first step quickness...   bendy, twitchy...    But he's raw and will need time to develop.

Basham is 6'3" and now 275,  but what I've read is he lost weight to test better because he typically plays at 285.    I read an interview with him back in Jan/Feb where he said his favorite position is the 5-tech,  which is a 3-4 DE.    So, I'm not sure he's a scheme fit for what Ballard/Fluss like to run.      Not that he's a bad player -- he's not -- but that he might not fit what we want.

Yeah I saw those same comments as well. However I wonder if him playing on the Edge and then occasionally sliding to 3-tech would be the best of both worlds. Perhaps he could be a rich man’s Tyquan Lewis.

I do see more prototypical DE traits with Turner though, so I can see how he’d be a safer pick.

12 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I wouldn’t want either with our 2nd round pick. There should be better players available. 

Turner at 54 is a steal so what better players are you talking about? 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Not a lot to go off of. Looks like Addison was trying to catch Wentz at the end. 
    • Titans have 1 and done in the playoffs written all over them with all the key injuries they are having now. Who knows about Henry, he may not even come back and if he does he will be rusty. Jones has been injured as well and a complete fail for them too. The AFC is full of parity and it boils down to which teams will be the healthiest at the end of the season. Right now the Colts are pretty healthy luckily. Leonard and Nelson have small nagging injuries but they are still playing and producing. Even TY is healthy.
    • Seems like he got pushed and stumbles into him. Definitely warrants the penalty, but I don't think it should have a fine.
    • I think the only way we win this game is to be at least +7 points off turnovers.   I don’t have high hopes to win because the cardiac colts haven’t proven to be consistent in their game plan (thanks frank), and execution on the field.   I was 50/50 for the buffalo game because I figured buffalo has faltered a fair bit but I don’t see the bucs faltering as much especially against our inconsistency on defense.   I sure hope we win of course and I’ll be more ecstatic than anyone if they do!
    • First off,  their is no such thing as a Z play.   That's a position.   It used to be called a flanker.  An off ball receiver.    Any way Ballard drafted him to be a chain mover.  He has said as much.   No one drafts a running back expecting him to break off 40 yard runs.   That is a theory you came up with on your own,  and wrong.    Ballard wanted him because he is versatile and can get a 4th and 1.   He is capable of breaking off a long one and move the pile in short yardage.   Congrats on being wrong again
  • Members

• CurBeatElite

CurBeatElite 1,408

• indyagent17

indyagent17 1,019

• krunk

krunk 5,048

• Knuckles79

Knuckles79 106

• Architects08

Architects08 243

• lester