Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Draft Hypotheticals

Hypothetical 1: 2nd round Edge Rusher  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather take at edge at pick 54 and why?

• Carlos “Boogie” Basham, Wake Forest
    • Payton Turner, Houston

If these are the only two choices for this exercise....

I'm a Turner guy.    He has all the traits and tools that Ballard seems to covet.   Height, weight, arm length, athleticism, first step quickness...   bendy, twitchy...    But he's raw and will need time to develop.

Basham is 6'3" and now 275,  but what I've read is he lost weight to test better because he typically plays at 285.    I read an interview with him back in Jan/Feb where he said his favorite position is the 5-tech,  which is a 3-4 DE.    So, I'm not sure he's a scheme fit for what Ballard/Fluss like to run.      Not that he's a bad player -- he's not -- but that he might not fit what we want.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If these are the only two choices for this exercise....

I'm a Turner guy.    He has all the traits and tools that Ballard seems to covet.   Height, weight, arm length, athleticism, first step quickness...   bendy, twitchy...    But he's raw and will need time to develop.

Basham is 6'3" and now 275,  but what I've read is he lost weight to test better because he typically plays at 285.    I read an interview with him back in Jan/Feb where he said his favorite position is the 5-tech,  which is a 3-4 DE.    So, I'm not sure he's a scheme fit for what Ballard/Fluss like to run.      Not that he's a bad player -- he's not -- but that he might not fit what we want.

Yeah I saw those same comments as well. However I wonder if him playing on the Edge and then occasionally sliding to 3-tech would be the best of both worlds. Perhaps he could be a rich man’s Tyquan Lewis.

I do see more prototypical DE traits with Turner though, so I can see how he’d be a safer pick.

Archived