Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If BlueShoe was the GM... What would his thoughts be...

10 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

The bolded, how do you know that others who think differently than you, on their own and without input from others, looked at the same tape and formed their own individual opinions.  In best Yoda voice "painting with a broad brush you are."

You are doing the same thing you accuse others of doing.  Only seeing your perspective.

BlueShoe's Ode to BlueShoe needs some editing.

I don't see it that way. Believe what you want. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I've been on Colts boards since the 90's... It just gets old... The same old groupthink. To say that Ojulari cannot play with his hand in the dirt because he doesn't weigh enough is just preposterous. Do people realize that we have a weakside linebacker (regarded as one of the best in the business) who is lighter than some safeties? It is to the point, after decades of these same dumb arguments, that I don't even care to bring my opinion to Colts boards anymore. Every decade or so, there is a new freshman class coming into Colts boards... I am retiring from this. LOL. I have been semi-retired from it for a while now anyway. 

If someone just said, hey I don't really like any of this years edge rushers... I could actually live with that. It is a crappy group (overall). But if you're looking for the star in this group, I have shined the spotlight on him. 

By the way, I love for people to have their own opinion. I absolutely love listening to peoples point of view. I'll stick up for that every day. Let's be real about this though. We are not seeing that here. What we are seeing here is people repeating what they've been told to believe. 

Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean that it's you vs everyone. I have disagreements with a lot of people on this board haha, me and East Street went back and forth alot about Rivers. NewColtsfan and I have had so many back and forth debate I can't remember them all. The point I'm trying to make is that all this debate is what the board is about, you just can't let it get to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Personal opinion is he will be too small for Ballards taste(not my own) although yes he can play. For Ballard to take him Rd 1 he will have to see some elite quality that really assures him we can't pass. Again if this was Dungy and Polian doing the picking I'd say no brainer. Ballards a bit more picky about this stuff though. I like him as well but not quite sure I see Mathis or Freeny. I do see a good player though.

22 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean that it's you vs everyone. I have disagreements with a lot of people on this board haha, me and East Street went back and forth alot about Rivers. NewColtsfan and I have had so many back and forth debate I can't remember them all. The point I'm trying to make is that all this debate is what the board is about, you just can't let it get to you.

So if Ojulari is the first edge rusher off the board, or goes to a 4-3 team and ends up playing all 3 downs, or the Colts somehow find a way to draft him... I just got lucky and now I am just bragging, right? Seen this movie. 

This was no debate. This was a lot of people set in their ways of groupthink. Meaning they were told what the conclusion was before gathering the facts on their own. And they happily kissed the ring. 

You can see this however you want to, but I disagree. 

Although some people agreed with me (one was to no-surprise a well respected board veteran), no one who disagreed ever asked me why I think Ojulari could play DE in a 4-3. Instead, they just dismissed it as impossible, even going as far as posting a baby putting the blocks in the wrong places. This is a bizarre conversation, that does not come close to a rational discussion.

You want me to waste my time with rationality. I have. Now I am done. People can think what they want to. It’s up to them now. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

My Personal opinion is he will be too small for Ballards taste(not my own) although yes he can play. For Ballard to take him Rd 1 he will have to see some elite quality that really assures him we can't pass. Again if this was Dungy and Polian doing the picking I'd say no brainer. Ballards a bit more picky about this stuff though. I like him as well but not quite sure I see Mathis or Freeny. I do see a good player though.

Ojulari has elite qualities. And I’m sure people are standing on the table for this guy in just about every draft meeting for every NFL team. He has tremendous get-off. His first step is as good as it gets. He is a natural leader, who can also be taught. He was a captain. High character. His ability to use his hands are also elite. He’s teachable. You don’t learn that kind of hand-to-hand combat without being teachable. He is LONG. His overall length puts him in the upper percentile. And he is still young; he is a redshirt sophomore, right? 20 years old, and turns 21 in the summer. There is a lot of great football ahead of him. There is a lot for Ballard to love about him. 

Line this dude up in the 9 technique and we will all be reliving some glory days of consistently getting after the passer and stripping the ball away. Ojulari has the potential to consistently (year after year) have double digit sack potential, double digit tackles for loss, and multiple strips each year. Now imagine that kind of player added to what we already have on this roster. 

There is no doubt this young man is on our radar. There is no way he is not!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

So if Ojulari is the first edge rusher off the board, or goes to a 4-3 team and ends up playing all 3 downs, or the Colts somehow find a way to draft him... I just got lucky and now I am just bragging, right? Seen this movie. 

This was no debate. This was a lot of people set in their ways of groupthink. Meaning they were told what the conclusion was before gathering the facts on their own. And they happily kissed the ring. 

Although some people agreed with me (one was to no-surprise a well respected board veteran), no one who disagreed ever asked me why I think Ojulari could play DE in a 4-3. Instead, they just dismissed it as impossible, even going as far as posting a baby putting the blocks in the wrong places. This is a bizarre conversation, that does not come close to a rational discussion.

You want me to waste my time with rationality. I have. Now I am done. People can think what they want to. It’s up to them now. 

Yeah I was one of the one's that pretty much agree'd with your opinion. His WT doesn't bother me and I stated why. I just think we need LT worse :thmup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I was one of the one's that pretty much agree'd with your opinion. His WT doesn't bother me and I stated why. I just think we need LT worse :thmup:

And that’s a legitimate take. I completely understand why some people want us to draft a LT at 21. I don’t think it’s as necessary as some people do, but I believe there are many scenarios in this draft that could lead to the Colts taking a LT with the first pick. That’s absolutely a reasonable point of view. 

But for anyone to completely dismiss Ojulari as a 4-3 DE, because he weighed 249 at his Pro Day... That’s just silly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Gonna slightly change the topic but I still strongly believe the LT Colts have in 2021 will be a rookie 

I have no doubt that we will draft a LT. I am just not 100% sold that we will use our first pick to draft him. I’ll go as far to say that we might even draft 2 LTs. Now whether we have a rookie starting at LT on Day 1, that’s not 100% a given. 

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I have no doubt that we will draft a LT. I am just not 100% sold that we will use our first pick to draft him. I’ll go as far to say that we might even draft 2 LTs. Now whether we have a rookie starting at LT on Day 1, that’s not 100% a given. 

I am not sold on it either, I would but Ballard may not lol. The 1st pick will be interesting that is for sure.

I am not sold on it either, I would but Ballard may not lol. The 1st pick will be interesting that is for sure.

Yeah. Ballard is going to take the best player available. He’s not going to reach for a need. But if a need closely aligns with best player available then he will pull the trigger. 

• Like 1

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Yeah. Ballard is going to take the best player available. He’s not going to reach for a need. But if a need closely aligns with best player available then he will pull the trigger. 

Yeah I agree with both takes. I am more of a need guy but Ballard isn't. I say I am more of a need guy but when I say that it is in situations where we need major help. Like a LT or Edge Rusher.

We’re pushing nearly 50 posts on this thread and I’ve stayed out if it.   Though some posters here likely remember that in numerous posts I have said that Ojulari is not a scheme fit nor a DE for our defense.   That he is an OLB. 

I confess, at the time, I did not know his arms were well over 34 inches.  That’s eye catching.   I’m sure it’s caught Ballard’s eye. 

That said...   I typically trust the views of the highest level scouts I can find.   Jeremiah, Brooks, and Zierlein at NFL.com all call Ojulari an OLB.  So do Kiper and McShay at ESPN.   I’m not a Premium member of PFF yet, so I’m not sure if they think he can play the 4-3 effectively,  I only know they call him an Edge. 

So the people I trust the most would seem to agree on the player.  Of course, it only takes one team to disagree, so we’ll know better Thursday night.  I don’t see the kid going Day 2. 

All that said...  the people I trust the most all seem to think Tevin Jenkins is a right tackle.  Yet the Colts have reportedly met with the kid twice in person and once virtually, so it would seem we think the kid might be able to make the conversion.   That’s the look from 1800 miles away.   So who really knows until Thursday night...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’re pushing nearly 50 posts on this thread and I’ve stayed out if it.   Though some posters here likely remember that in numerous posts I have said that Ojulari is not a scheme fit nor a DE for our defense.   That he is an OLB. 

I confess, at the time, I did not know his arms were well over 34 inches.  That’s eye catching.   I’m sure it’s caught Ballard’s eye. 

That said...   I typically trust the views of the highest level scouts I can find.   Jeremiah, Brooks, and Zierlein at NFL.com all call Ojulari an OLB.  So do Kiper and McShay at ESPN.   I’m not a Premium member of PFF yet, so I’m not sure if they think he can play the 4-3 effectively,  I only know they call him an Edge. 

So the people I trust the most would seem to agree on the player.  Of course, it only takes one team to disagree, so we’ll know better Thursday night.  I don’t see the kid going Day 2. 

All that said...  the people I trust the most all seem to think Tevin Jenkins is a right tackle.  Yet the Colts have reportedly met with the kid twice in person and once virtually, so it would seem we think the kid might be able to make the conversion.   That’s the look from 1800 miles away.   So who really knows until Thursday night...

It is tough to tell about Jenkins but I can only go by what position he mainly played in college. He played 80% of his snaps at RT, 20% of his snaps at LT. That is telling to me anyway. If he was the best LT on his team you would think he would've been a LT most of his college career? Doesn't mean he can't play LT at a high level, he may be able too but drafting him to do so would be a gamble IMO. 

To the topic on hand, I do love Ojulari's speed.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

It seems like you have your mind made up that we can't think for ourselves which is disappointing because how can we even talk about Ojulari, if you are not willing to have a conversation. 

If Ojulari is first edge off the board and kicks butt as a 4-3 DE, you were right and good on you, I remember I really wanted the Colts to Draft Fred Warner because I thought he was gonna be a steal and then the 49ers drafted him in the 3rd round. I was right he is a beast just like Leonard and I can only imagine if we had Warner at MLB and Leonard.

Personally I haven't seen Ojulari play or read much about him, but from what you have said I don't see him lasting to the Colts, and that a team that runs a hybrid defense will target him because he sounds like a perfect fit for them. As for if the Colts have the opportunity to draft him, I would say I would prefer us drafting a different position like OT but it depends on who is all available.

It is tough to tell about Jenkins but I can only go by what position he mainly played in college. He played 80% of his snaps at RT, 20% of his snaps at LT. That is telling to me anyway. If he was the best LT on his team you would think he would've been a LT most of his college career? Doesn't mean he can't play LT at a high level, he may be able too but drafting him to do so would be a gamble IMO. 

To the topic on hand, I do love Ojulari's speed.

Ive made that same Jenkins argument.   Even more damning, his 7 games at LT were spread out over three years.   So he either only played LT when the starter was hurt or sick and then went back to the right side....

OR....

They kept trying to see if TJ could play the spot and hold the spot and he never could.  But you’d think at the college level, he could hold the spot.  And yet.....

If we take him, I hope it works out.   A miss would be a huge setback for the Colts. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It seems like you have your mind made up that we can't think for ourselves which is disappointing because how can we even talk about Ojulari, if you are not willing to have a conversation. 

If Ojulari is first edge off the board and kicks butt as a 4-3 DE, you were right and good on you, I remember I really wanted the Colts to Draft Fred Warner because I thought he was gonna be a steal and then the 49ers drafted him in the 3rd round. I was right he is a beast just like Leonard and I can only imagine if we had Warner at MLB and Leonard.

Personally I haven't seen Ojulari play or read much about him, but from what you have said I don't see him lasting to the Colts, and that a team that runs a hybrid defense will target him because he sounds like a perfect fit for them. As for if the Colts have the opportunity to draft him, I would say I would prefer us drafting a different position like OT but it depends on who is all available.

Yeah. I have my mind made up that many people on this board cannot think for themselves. 

If we can move on from your first paragraph then we can actually have a conversation/debate about this. Because the rest of your post is logical. 

I liked Fred Warner, but not as much as I liked Leonard. I actually thought the Steelers would take Leonard in the first round. I was almost convinced of it, but I felt if he could get past them then we had a shot at him. 

Yeah. I think a lot of these draft gurus are going to be shocked if/when Ojulari is the first edge player taken off the boards. In my opinion, he is clearly the best player at the position, and I think he is going earlier than a lot of people think. But that’s because I believe the draft media is way off this year, and they’re misleading people.

This is a rare year because of COVID. And it’s an agents dream playground. The information that the draft experts is getting is filled with lies and it’s being rinsed and repeated, so we can’t trust any of these draft experts. There’s not much they’re saying that makes sense, except that quarterbacks are going to go early. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I liked Fred Warner, but not as much as I liked Leonard. I actually thought the Steelers would take Leonard in the first round. I was almost convinced of it, but I felt if he could get past them then we had a shot at him. 

Yeah. I think a lot of these draft gurus are going to be shocked if/when Ojulari is the first edge player taken off the boards. In my opinion, he is clearly the best player at the position, and I think he is going earlier than a lot of people think. But that’s because I believe the draft media is way off this year, and they’re misleading people.

This is a rare year because of COVID. And it’s an agents dream playground. The information that the draft experts is getting is filled with lies and it’s being rinsed and repeated, so we can’t trust any of these draft experts. There’s not much they’re saying that makes sense, except that quarterbacks are going to go early. 

I knew nothing of Leonard before we drafted him, but I was locked on Fred Warner a lot of the draft gurus had him as a 4th round pick which seemed crazy to me.

I think you are right about this year and COVID, there is a lot of question marks and a serious lack of information and misinformation (see the whole Fields doesn't throw to second reads narrative, when statistically he throws to 2nd reads more than any of the top 5 QBs). I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of picks that no one saw coming. A perfect example is Little, I have seen some people have him as a mid teens first round pick, I have also seen some have him in the third round which is a crazy huge draft range.

Also since we didn't have a combine this year you are seeing inaccurate physical measurements, I can't remember which player it was but between the senior bowl and his pro day he gained over an inch in height lol, and all 40 times are turning out to be faster than normal. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I knew nothing of Leonard before we drafted him, but I was locked on Fred Warner a lot of the draft gurus had him as a 4th round pick which seemed crazy to me.

I think you are right about this year and COVID, there is a lot of question marks and a serious lack of information and misinformation (see the whole Fields doesn't throw to second reads narrative, when statistically he throws to 2nd reads more than any of the top 5 QBs). I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of picks that no one saw coming. A perfect example is Little, I have seen some people have him as a mid teens first round pick, I have also seen some have him in the third round which is a crazy huge draft range.

Also since we didn't have a combine this year you are seeing inaccurate physical measurements, I can't remember which player it was but between the senior bowl and his pro day he gained over an inch in height lol, and all 40 times are turning out to be faster than normal. 

Exactly!!! 100% on the nail. 

And that’s the point I’ve tried to make in this thread. It’s like the final week before the draft (lie season) happened the entire draft season. I highly recommend for anyone to listen to Michael Lombardi about just how bad things get in lie season. He’s been preaching about it for years. 

Without having true measurements of players in the same building, they’re all over the place. It’s a draft season like we have never seen before. Scouts are going to have to trust their eyes more than ever this year, and that’s the kind of information they are known to be deceiving about. Toss in this year; the numbers don’t even make sense for many of these players. You can’t trust the information.

This draft is not going down like people think, and there will be many surprises (for fans) on the first 2 days. The draft experts will call them reaches. It’s going to be comical for those that understand what’s happening. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

For what it’s worth...   I’ve seen Little as low as the upper-4th round.  But I’ve never seen him mocked anywhere in the teens.  I’d love to see that on some website.   PFF has him ranked in the mud-20’s, (26?) but that’s it.   Never seen higher.   I’d be thrilled if Little  went that high, but that would be a Night One Bombshell if he went in the teens! 

Just now, polk_high_allstar said:

This is Ballard we're talking about... 1st time we will be hearing someone making our pick will be Friday night.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Antoine Bethea will be announcing a Round 2 pick 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth...   I’ve seen Little as low as the upper-4th round.  But I’ve never seen him mocked anywhere in the teens.  I’d love to see that on some website.   PFF has him ranked in the mud-20’s, (26?) but that’s it.   Never seen higher.   I’d be thrilled if Little  went that high, but that would be a Night One Bombshell if he went in the teens! 

In my opinion, your Cardinal team has been sitting on a stud LT. He was tough to scout, because of how things played out for him. But I am convinced he is everything scouts thought he was as a 5-Star recruit coming out of high school.

These opt outs are very tough to scout. We have to fill in a lot of blanks, and I’m sure scouts who make a living at this are even having a tough time. I had to dig hard on him, and I will gladly admit that I am having to project what he would have done in the remaining of 2019 and all of 2020. I’m coming away from my evaluation that he is a stud. 

He is going to need some time to grow, but he is no-doubt in my mind one of the best tackles in this draft. He is basically 2 years removed from football. I don’t give him a high percentage to start on Day 1, but I see him growing into an excellent NFL LT. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, polk_high_allstar said:

They should be booking McAfee for every pick in my opinion.  Pretty big shoes for Bethea to fill from what Pat did/said in Nashville.

Where is the draft gonna be this year

25 minutes ago, polk_high_allstar said:

This is Ballard we're talking about... 1st time we will be hearing someone making our pick will be Friday night.

Even if that’s true, that means we’ve made a trade down...    so we all will know.....  something!   

and, by process of elimination (who is left after night one) we might have a better feel for who the Colts might be interested in.   I’m saying....   might. 

Either way...   I’m looking forward to it.   I’ve already alerted my wife she won’t be seeing much of me Thursday, Friday and Saturday!  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if that’s true, that means we’ve made a trade down...    so we all will know.....  something!   

and, by process of elimination (who is left after night one) we might have a better feel for who the Colts might be interested in.   I’m saying....   might. 

Either way...   I’m looking forward to it.   I’ve already alerted my wife she won’t be seeing much of me Thursday, Friday and Saturday!  

I'm on the train of trading down to high 2nd top 10 picks for that teams 2nd and their 2022 2nd. If you choose the right team like they did with Washington they could have another top 5 round 2 selection 

37 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Exactly!!! 100% on the nail. 

And that’s the point I’ve tried to make in this thread. It’s like the final week before the draft (lie season) happened the entire draft season. I highly recommend for anyone to listen to Michael Lombardi about just how bad things get in lie season. He’s been preaching about it for years. 

Without having true measurements of players in the same building, they’re all over the place. It’s a draft season like we have never seen before. Scouts are going to have to trust their eyes more than ever this year, and that’s the kind of information they are known to be deceiving about. Toss in this year; the numbers don’t even make sense for many of these players. You can’t trust the information.

This draft is not going down like people think, and there will be many surprises (for fans) on the first 2 days. The draft experts will call them reaches. It’s going to be comical for those that understand what’s happening. 

Do you think oujalri makes it to 21?  Would you trade up for him?  I was all in in Harold Landry an oujalri sounds more athletic.  

I’ll check out Lombardi.  Polian has a great podcast on each position which I recommend.  Olbs are in the next one so I’ll make sure to pay attention to oujalri. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Do you think oujalri makes it to 21?  Would you trade up for him?  I was all in in Harold Landry an oujalri sounds more athletic.  

I’ll check out Lombardi.  Polian has a great podcast on each position which I recommend.  Olbs are in the next one so I’ll make sure to pay attention to oujalri. 

I don’t think he makes it to us, but anything is possible. I would absolutely move up to get him. 

Curious what Polian thinks of Ojulari. I bet he loves him. I’d be surprised if he is not Polians top edge rusher. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm on the train of trading down to high 2nd top 10 picks for that teams 2nd and their 2022 2nd. If you choose the right team like they did with Washington they could have another top 5 round 2 selection 

Remember...   to do that deal, we dropped 20 picks.   And I personally do NOT want to drop 20 picks to 41.    The only reason I think we were willing to do that, is that we already had luck 34 from the Jets to complete the Nelson trade.

So dropping 20 picks that year still left us with picks 34, 46 and 59.   Then we traded down from 46 to 49.    

If we drop 20 this year, pick 41 would be our first pick.   By hunch is Ballard doesn’t want to do that.  Not having a pick in the 30’s I think would not work for us.   Just my two cents. 

6 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

@BlueShoeis on record of saying he would trade up to 11 for him

let's discuss that

11 1250

21 is 800

54 is 360

127 is 45 

So 1205

There's no guarantee they even accept that and there's no way i want 1 player until Round 5

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember...   to do that deal, we dropped 20 picks.   And I personally do NOT want to drop 20 picks to 41.    The only reason I think we were willing to do that, is that we already had luck 34 from the Jets to complete the Nelson trade.

So dropping 20 picks that year still left us with pucks 34, 46 and 59.   Then we traded down from 46 to 49.    

If we drop 20 this year, pick 41 would be our first pick.   By hunch is Ballard doesn’t want to do that.  Not having a pick in the 30’s I think would not work for us.   Just my two cents. 

Do you think a team like Philly or Cincy in late 30s would offer 22 2

8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

let's discuss that

11 1250

21 is 800

54 is 360

127 is 45 

So 1205

There's no guarantee they even accept that and there's no way i want 1 player until Round 5

Is he expected to go 11?  That’s a really steep price.  I can’t see Ballard giving that many picks up for one guy. 

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Do you think a team like Philly or Cincy in late 30s would offer 22 2

I don’t think so.   I’ll be happy if we get their 3.

So now we’d have a high 2 and a high 3.  That’s nice.   But I’d certainly ask for a sweetener...   a 5 this year, or a 4 next year.  
When they say no, I’ll counter with a 6 this year, or a 5 next year.   For a GM like Ballard, he could turn those into something.  

More toys equals good!       :thmup:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

Is he expected to go 11?  That’s a really steep price.  I can’t see Ballard giving that many picks up for one guy. 

I would imagine Giants could possibly take him honestly i think that's the highest he goes 

21 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

let's discuss that

11 1250

21 is 800

54 is 360

127 is 45 

So 1205

Unless there is a bidding war, or the Giants have someone they covet at 11 (could be Ojulari) then I think they’d take our 1st and 2nd. 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Unless there is a bidding war, or the Giants have someone they covet at 11 (could be Ojulari) then I think they’d take our 1st and 2nd. 

Still too much for my taste

The Colts wouldn't have a pick til Round 4

Who knows who falls then?

• Like 1