Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brown traded to Chiefs

runthepost

Wow, that is a steep price the Chiefs paid. Especially in a deep OT class. 1 year rental they have backed themselves into a corner with Brown. 

They already have plenty of big contracts with Mahomes, Chris Jones,  Frank Clark, Kelce, Hill etc.

Added Joe Thuney, Jarran Reed, Kyle Long, Austin Blythe and now Orlando Brown; they are loading up on their trenches, no doubt.

This isn't really that expensive.  Not much more than pick 31, value wise.

KC gets Brown AND pick 58.  BALT gets picks 31, 94, and 136.    If BALT would have made a separate trade and traded down from pick 58, they probably would have gotten picks 94 and 136 for that (they maybe would have gotten more for pick 58)...sort of a mini trade within a big trade.  And the two late round picks next year are a wash.

Chief's were one of the team way over the cap, yet they also seem to be signing everyone they want. This was a win for them, they basically gave up the lowest 3rd and 4th round pick available and dropped down 31 spots. So for a quality OT they give up basically a 4th and 5th rounder and drop a few spots, great move. But he wants starting OT money, LT money at that. How can they afford that??

14 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

They could have just got a LT in the draft. Not so sure about that move but I guess it works to fill the hole. 

Smart on the Chiefs part to protect their franchise, with a known and proven talent.

2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Why couldn't we do this? It would have cost is a swap of our 1st and a 4th, that's it since we pick higher. Then we could focus on a DE with pick 31 and have both positions of need filled..

Brown wants LT money 

I would gladly take one on rookie contract 

3 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Why couldn't we do this? It would have cost is a swap of our 1st and a 4th, that's it since we pick higher. Then we could focus on a DE with pick 31 and have both positions of need filled..

Why?

Let me count the ways...

— The Colts would have to trade FOUR picks to get back two.   So, in terms of this year, we’d lose THREE picks and get back one.   A net of -2. 

— One of the picks KC gave up is a 3, which we currently don’t have.   So we’d have to give up another valuable pick.

— Why do this for a LT, in a draft that is loaded with OT’s?

— Look at the details again.  KC gave up its first, they did NOT get back a first.  This wasn’t a swap of 1’s.   KC received Baltimore’s 2.   Pick 58. 

This is not the type of trade Chris Ballard makes.   Never has, and I highly doubt he ever will. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why?

Let me count the ways...

— The Colts would have to trade FOUR picks to get back two.   So, in terms of this year, we’d lose THREE picks and get back one.   A net of -2. 

— One of the picks KC gave up is a 3, which we currently don’t have.   So we’d have to give up another valuable pick.

— Look at the details again.  KC gave up its first, they did NOT get back a first.  This wasn’t a swap of 1’s.   KC received Baltimore’s 2.   Pick 58. 

This is not the type of trade Chris Ballard makes.   Never has, and I highly doubt he ever will. 

100% disagree. The Raven's got a pick 31 spots higher, the lowest 3rd and 4th, basically a 5th and 6th,  So, to move down 31 spots and get basically 2 lower round picks they gave up a very good OT. If we make the same deal we'd give up our #1 which is 21st and get their #58. so that's 37 spots instead of 31. So picking 10 positions higher in the 1st round would save us that 4th rounder at least. So giving up our 1st and 5th for their 2nd and Brown would be a great deal IMO..

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

100% disagree. The Raven's got a pick 31 spots higher, the lowest 3rd and 4th, basically a 5th and 6th,  So, to move down 31 spots and get basically 2 lower round picks they gave up a very good OT. If we make the same deal we'd give up our #1 which is 21st and get their #58. so that's 37 spots instead of 31. So picking 10 positions higher in the 1st round would save us that 4th rounder at least. So giving up our 1st and 5th for their 2nd and Brown would be a great deal IMO..

I have no interest in debating this.   Your issue is not with me.   It’s with Chris Ballard.    And if he agreed with you, he’d have done the deal.   So clearly he doesn’t agree. 

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

Ballard was never going to trade a for high dollar LT looking for a new deal   Too many big contracts coming up

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why?

Let me count the ways...

Yeah.  Even if you count our 21st pick as equal to KC's 31st pick plus 3rd round (I didn't do the calcs, so don't hold me to it), the bottom line looks very not Ballard-esque.  Especially when you pile on the terms of the Wentz deal.

We would have gained QB Wentz and LT Brown, and would have only two 2nd's (54 and 58) this year, and then our 5th, 6th, and 7th.  And next year possibly missing our 2nd round (in the Wentz deal), and flip flopping 5th and 6th.  Also, Brown has 1 year left on his rookie deal, and wants to be paid pro bowl LT money.  In the same year that we have to pay Leonard and Smith.

All because we wanted a LT that started 700 games and went to a pro bowl, when we could easily spend a single draft pick this year to achieve the same thing.  And pay him a 4 year rookie salary.

Ehhhh...  Naw, I think I'll pass.

1 hour ago, FortheWin said:

Strange trade. I think this is an over reaction to the SB. They could have gotten a quality LT in the draft at 31 but they didn't want to risk at all. Crazy price to pay for a guy with one year left on his deal.

Speaking of one year on his deal....

While driving around today and listening to ESPN radio,  a reporter says Brown has come out and publicly said he's NOT going to sign an extension with KC right away.    He's going to play-out his one year remaining on his contract, then become a FA and go to the highest bidder.    You think that deal that Trent Williams signed didn't get anyone's attention?    He didn't rule out eventually re-signing with KC,  but only after he finds out his worth on the FA market.

Imagine how that's playing today in the KC front office where you just paid full price for Brown for what may be only one year?  Does that give anyone the warm and fuzzies?    Yeah, me neither....

From a Raven’s fan perspective , obviously I’m not happy with trading a pro bowl caliber RT to KC. That being said, the Ravens did get extra draft picks, 3rd and 4th rounds , and moved up another pick into the first round in exchange for the second round pick. 
Many outlets have reported KC was the only team giving somewhat fair compensation for Brown, so that’s one factor. The Ravens could have held onto him for the season, but then only gotten a third round compensatory pick for him next year. 
The big factor was that he didn’t want to play RT this upcoming year, and we have pro bowl left tackle Ronnie Stanley coming back from injury. Basically, with Brown tweeting he wanted to play LT, and the Ravens ran into possible team dissension issues. 
My opinion is it’s a fair trade for both clubs, under the circumstances. Reports are the Ravens will sign the old Steelers OT, and fill that position. The Ravens couldn’t sign him next year for the LT money he wants , so KC will have that problem next year. As KC is in win it now mode, Brown will definitely help KC in the short term. 
Bottom line is it’s a daring trade by both teams, which will have short and long term ramifications for both. 

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

While driving around today and listening to ESPN radio,  a reporter says Brown has come out and publicly said he's NOT going to sign an extension with KC right away.    He's going to play-out his one year remaining on his contract, then become a FA and go to the highest bidder.    You think that deal that Trent Williams signed didn't get anyone's attention?    He didn't rule out eventually re-signing with KC,  but only after he finds out his worth on the FA market.

Imagine how that's playing today in the KC front office where you just paid full price for Brown for what may be only one year?  Does that give anyone the warm and fuzzies?    Yeah, me neither....

Many of you may not know that Orlando Brown was a third round pick out of Oaklahoma. He had a terrible pre-draft combine, and was dropping in the draft like a rock. Ozzie Newsome took a chance on him because his dad played for the Ravens, and was a good offensive tackle. 
I would have preferred Zeus Jr. to have talked to the Ravens and DeCosta behind the scenes with his desire to play LT, instead of the tweets designed to force a trade. I know it’s a business , and understand his desire to make more money and play LT, but I think the Raven’s deserved a bit better for sticking out their necks for him in the draft. 
On the flip side, Brown played great, got into two pro bowls, and was a great value at RT for a third round pick. I just think there was a more professional way of dealing with the situation. 

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yikes is right.  That is always the risk when you trade for a player with one year left. Brown is for sure going to fleece KC to keep him.

On 4/24/2021 at 6:17 PM, FortheWin said:

Strange trade. I think this is an over reaction to the SB. They could have gotten a quality LT in the draft at 31 but they didn't want to risk at all. Crazy price to pay for a guy with one year left on his deal.

I think I understand why they did it.  This could be a super bowl year for them and they dont want a rookie LT.  Trading picks to win now makes sense for them imo

10 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I think I understand why they did it.  This could be a super bowl year for them and they dont want a rookie LT.  Trading picks to win now makes sense for them imo

Yeah. That is today's NFL. Mahomes mega deal really kicks in next year when his cap hit is 40 mil+.  Plus, given his style of play, they probably have 3 years before he really starts to break down.

On 4/23/2021 at 3:35 PM, Old Colt said:

True, but who is more likely to go to the Super Bowl, Chiefs or the Colts?  Chiefs use FA and CB plans to cure all in the draft.... and trade back too liley.

No one ever really listens when I say this strategy is at least partly because Irsay doesn't have the massive liquid capital to dole out huge signing bonus on top of huge signing bonus.... Sure, he's paid out massive ones in the past, but it's always one, two tops.... When's the last time the colts went nuts and gave out big bonuses to land a top FA class?  Even before Ballard, when they did sign a lot of guys, they weren't the big bonus type FAs, it was over the hill or middle of the road vets like Gore and Johnson.... He doesn't have the cash flow to splash around 200 million in cash on top of his existing expenses in a period of a matter of weeks and then repeat every year......

22 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

No one ever really listens when I say this strategy is at least partly because Irsay doesn't have the massive liquid capital to dole out huge signing bonus on top of huge signing bonus.... Sure, he's paid out massive ones in the past, but it's always one, two tops.... When's the last time the colts went nuts and gave out big bonuses to land a top FA class?  Even before Ballard, when they did sign a lot of guys, they weren't the big bonus type FAs, it was over the hill or middle of the road vets like Gore and Johnson.... He doesn't have the cash flow to splash around 200 million in cash on top of his existing expenses in a period of a matter of weeks and then repeat every year......

He may be buying too many Beatles drum sets ,which is crimping the cash flow !

Archived