Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So rumor has it the trade talks surrounding Orlando Brown Jr is heating up. 6 teams are listed on potential suitors, including Colts.(clearly listed because of need).

https://nfltraderumors.co/trade-talks-for-ravens-ot-orlando-brown-jr-heating-up/

Anyway, here is my question for everyone.

Which option would you prefer?

2021 2nd round pick for Brown Jr(if they would accept)

Or

Braden Smith for Orlando Brown Jr?

Just find it a little interesting, as most I think are hesitant to bring in Brown Jr, because he will need paid next year as well as our Big FAs.

Brown Jr has proven to play LT at a good level, Smith has proved to play RT at a high level.

Clearly it would be tough to pay all those guys big money(Q, Kelly, Smith, Brown Jr), and RT is easier to fill than LT.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts? Smith for Brown idea just popped in my head as I was reading article.

I would trade our 2nd for him if they would accept it.  He's a proven player at a position of need and he's young.  If we inquired about McGlinchey I can see us inquiring about Brown.  I could see us extending a few players this year and Brown next year.  After the Buckner trade last year a trade for Brown might be on the table.  

• Like 1

I think we can get a decent OT option by pick 50 in this draft.  Would rather do that than pay both salary and draft capital for a vet.

And swapping Smith for Brown simply creates a hole in a different spot.  Seems like a push to me.

If we could trade down and pick up a third, then I would consider trading our third for either Brown or MM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trade a 25 year-old RT for a 25 year-old Pro Bowl LT (which happens to be a big need)?

I don't know...but the only way that wouldn't make sense is that you then have pay Brown like a LT...which will be more expensive than Smith. But you also have LT filled and just have to find a RT.

And it's A LOT easier to find a RT than a LT in the draft. Even though this draft is deep at OT...there are going to be far less guys in the draft that can play LT in the NFL than RT. So now they wouldn't be dependent on having one of the best LT prospects fall in the draft...they would now have some flexibility. They can target OT at #54, which frees up #21 to draft EDGE (or another position) or trade down.

While getting Brown for a 2nd round pick would be a steal...they can't carry Brown, Q, Kelly and Smith on big contracts. That's $65-70M on 4/5 of the OL.

• Like 3

Get the rookie OT, push the contract money to re-sign him, if he turns out very good, to the future. Brown's contract, within the next couple of years will be a deterrent to keep the core 3 we want to re-sign - Q, DL and Braden Smith while having a rookie OT won't. It will also give us money to augment with other key pieces. 

• Like 2

Giving up the 13th overall pick for Bunkner 

39 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Trade a 25 year-old RT for a 25 year-old Pro Bowl LT (which happens to be a big need)?

I don't know...but the only way that wouldn't make sense is that you then have pay Brown like a LT...which will be more expensive than Smith. But you also have LT filled and just have to find a RT.

And it's A LOT easier to find a RT than a LT in the draft. Even though this draft is deep at OT...there are going to be far less guys in the draft that can play LT in the NFL than RT. So now they wouldn't be dependent on having one of the best LT prospects fall in the draft...they would now have some flexibility. They can target OT at #54, which frees up #21 to draft EDGE (or another position) or trade down.

While getting Brown for a 2nd round pick would be a steal...they can't carry Brown, Q, Kelly and Smith on big contracts. That's $65-70M on 4/5 of the OL.

Brown is a proven talent, just like Buckner was when Ballard traded the 13th pick for him. 

I’d rather have a proven talent like Brown (25), and fix the LT position, than risk drafting an underachiever. 

I like some of these scenarios, but what if it’s the 21st pick for Brown?? A lot of fans want a LT at 21. A trade for Brown wouldn’t be much different than last years trade, and with lower risk. Brown played well filling at LT, and the Colts have a need that can be filled. 

• Like 2
Just now, MPStack said:

Giving up the 13th overall pick for Bunkner 

Brown is a proven talent, just like Buckner was when Ballard traded the 13th pick for him. 

I’d rather have a proven talent like Brown (25), and fix the LT position, than risk drafting an underachiever. 

I like some of these scenarios, but what if it’s the 21st pick for Brown?? A lot of fans want a LT at 21. A trade for Brown wouldn’t be much different than last years trade, and with lower risk. Brown played well filling at LT, and the Colts have a need that can be filled. 

He's probably worth #21 as well...since he's a proven LT. it's just the contract that becomes an issue. You probably do what you can do to make it work if all it cost was #54...but you would have to get very creative with the cap.

In the scenario with swapping Smith, at least the risk is at RT and not LT. 

Of course none of these are going to happen. If they do trade him, it will likely be for a pick this year AND future draft capital. They aren't in any hurry to move a 25 year-old PB LT.

• Like 2

That was a very small haul of picks for a guy who is supposed to be a LT.  Generally if you're gonna trade for an answer at LT who is only 25 it's gonna cost a whole lot more than that.

Which leads me to believe there is some question with him.  Either in what side he'll play (which is what I suspect), or something else that has not been reported.

53 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

He's probably worth #21 as well...since he's a proven LT. it's just the contract that becomes an issue. You probably do what you can do to make it work if all it cost was #54...but you would have to get very creative with the cap.

In the scenario with swapping Smith, at least the risk is at RT and not LT. 

Of course none of these are going to happen. If they do trade him, it will likely be for a pick this year AND future draft capital. They aren't in any hurry to move a 25 year-old PB LT.

We were not just a player or two short of the AFCCG or SB, we were just a fringe playoff team. Plus, the Wentz trade, cap and draft capital given up does limit our options, IMO with upcoming contracts in mind. An established team like the Chiefs that has been to 3 AFCCG appearances and 2 SBs has the luxury of going more all in for the now, like Elway did during Peyton's last 2 years. 

The only other teams I can see going as much all in are the Bucs, Bills and Packers, all who either have a QB under rookie contract or have an elite QB at the helm thus knowing what they have at the most key position in the NFL. The Rams have always been an enigma with their aggressive nature. 

18 minutes ago, Shive said:

Whelp, this thread is moot now. They got much more than I thought they would. 

I would have made this work for us giving up our 1st at 21 and getting Brown and their 2nd rd pick no. 58.  You would have  to massage the other picks a little but it was doable.  

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would have made this work for us giving up our 1st at 21 and getting Brown and their 2nd rd pick no. 58.  You would have  to massage the other picks a little but it was doable.  

Yeah, I was going to respond to the a couple of the post above talking about #21 the same way. Get their 2nd back, #21 is substantially more valuable then #31 so extra picks wouldn't be needed.

Clearly scrolled down a few more post and saw @Shive kill the thread with the news. 

Fun while it lasted, I'm locking it up now.

• Haha 1

The Brown trade isn't really that expensive for KC.  Not much more than pick 31, value wise.

KC gets Brown AND pick 58.  BALT gets picks 31, 94, and 136.    If BALT would have made a separate trade and traded down from pick 58, they probably would have gotten picks 94 and 136 for that (they maybe would have gotten more for pick 58)...sort of a mini trade within a big trade.  And the two late round picks next year are a wash.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

That was a very small haul of picks for a guy who is supposed to be a LT.  Generally if you're gonna trade for an answer at LT who is only 25 it's gonna cost a whole lot more than that.

Which leads me to believe there is some question with him.  Either in what side he'll play (which is what I suspect), or something else that has not been reported.

The fact that KC will now have to sign him to a huge deal is probably what lessened the draft capital they had to give up. A looming large contract is usually pretty solid leverage for the acquiring team.

17 minutes ago, w87r said:

Clearly scrolled down a few more post and saw @Shive kill the thread with the news. 

Fun while it lasted, I'm locking it up now.

grim reaper GIF

Keep the trade discussion going here:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2