Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard press conference at 12:30

Gotta love it. "Hey! Maybe we'll be talking to y'all EARLY Thursday." then laughs. He did that last year too. :)

Didn't hear the whole thing, but of interest: Said Colts board has "5 or 6" difference makers.

Then, "plenty" of first round grades to be comfortable picking a number of players at 21.

Sounds like a trade back if presented. 

BUT, he also said if they see a "difference maker" at 21, they'll take him.

20 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Gotta love it. "Hey! Maybe we'll be talking to y'all EARLY Thursday." then laughs. He did that last year too. :)

Didn't hear the whole thing, but of interest: Said Colts board has "5 or 6" difference makers.

Then, "plenty" of first round grades to be comfortable picking a number of players at 21.

This is perfect analysis. I don’t think they will trade out of the first but a few spots down most likely. Although there might be a team need that is higher then some in that group that could have him sticking at 21. 

The overanalyzer in me wants to think he gave something away today.  When he was talking about the different college schedules this last year, he specifically mentioned North Dakota St. having played one game.  Made me wonder if he had that school on his mind for any particular reason.  Maybe something that had to do with Dillon Radunz...

30 minutes ago, #12. said:

When he mentioned Autry and Houston, I got the impression he's moved on from Houston.  We'll see.  

He did. He did say he was still out there but he sure did sound like they moved on. He is taking a huge gamble these young guys can take the next step. I hope it doesn’t turn out like OT did for us last season where he kicks himself for not keeping one of them.

My takeaway - when asked about depth of the draft at OT and DE... he deflected the DE part, talked about OT depth - loves the depth... said maybe best draft he's seen depth wise at OT. IMO, this could be a sign of Ballard not being in a hurry to address OT. Very possible he leaves it for day 2, IMO. Maybe even double dip later? 

Another takeaway - refused to answer how many R1 grades we have - IMO clear indication they are more than willing to trade down(or up?) and just didn't want to give up leverage in negotiation talks. 

If I had to guess what we do... 

1. trade back....

2. pick DE early

3. pick OT day 2... (maybe with one of the picks we get as compensation from trading back)

2 hours ago, stitches said:

My takeaway - when asked about depth of the draft at OT and DE... he deflected the DE part, talked about OT depth - loves the depth... said maybe best draft he's seen depth wise at OT. IMO, this could be a sign of Ballard not being in a hurry to address OT. Very possible he leaves it for day 2, IMO. Maybe even double dip later? 

Another takeaway - refused to answer how many R1 grades we have - IMO clear indication they are more than willing to trade down(or up?) and just didn't want to give up leverage in negotiation talks. 

If I had to guess what we do... 

1. trade back....

2. pick DE early

3. pick OT day 2... (maybe with one of the picks we get as compensation from trading back)

He did mention there was a bunch of players they would be comfy picking at 21. That tells me he could move down a few spots in the first. Pick up that third rd we are missing. Wonder if there is a way to get a early second and keep our 54 pick giving us two seconds. That would be ideal if we moved down four or five spots in the first then get a extra second or that third round pick back. That gives us 2 picks in the first and second rounds. Could pick up 3 nice players.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard mentioned he had his scouts reviewing tape as far back as 2018.  The 1st player I thought of was Walker Little.

I'm sure he's one....   but I suspect they're doing it with lots of players.

So many either opted out of their 2020 season,   or played a short abbreviated season, and scouts couldn't attend practices, so tape is now more important than ever.    Find what you can, wherever you can.   

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sure he's one....   but I suspect they're doing it with lots of players.

So many either opted out of their 2020 season,   or played a short abbreviated season, and scouts couldn't attend practices, so tape is now more important than ever.    Find what you can, wherever you can.   

Agree especially for the 2020 season.  To intentionally mention 2018 is a pretty clear indication they have checked out Little as we would expect.  He didn’t have to mention that year but he did.   Not a biggie but interesting none the less.  

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Agree especially for the 2020 season.  To intentionally mention 2018 is a pretty clear indication they have checked out Little as we would expect.  He didn’t have to mention that year but he did.   Not a biggie but interesting none the less.  

I'm going to do a Stanford post this weekend...   where I project our kids to go...   Little will be first up, and I see him in a window of pick 40-80.    I think that's the most likely range.

But if the Colts trade down and collect picks and then pick Little,  I'll be over the moon thrilled!   The more I've read, especially from PFF, which loves the kid,  the more I think the team that takes him will get a good LT.    But I don't know how much we'd be willing to gamble on Little?    He's a giant question mark.

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm going to do a Stanford post this weekend...   where I project our kids to go...   Little will be first up, and I see him in a window of pick 40-80.    I think that's the most likely range.

But if the Colts trade down and collect picks and then pick Little,  I'll be over the moon thrilled!   The more I've read, especially from PFF, which loves the kid,  the more I think the team that takes him will get a good LT.    But I don't know how much we'd be willing to gamble on Little?    He's a giant question mark.

PFF really does love Little.  Just today I saw a video they produced highlighting Little as one of five players the think could be real steals for the teams that draft them.  I honestly think we might be surprised how high he is drafted.  PFF can’t be the only service that has him rated highly.  Our guys are a sharp bunch so I would bet they have him rated pretty high as well.  Who knows how it will turn out but I would not be totally shocked if we draft him.  A real dark horse for sure.  I’m hoping he’s another one of our great 2nd rd picks.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

PFF really does love Little.  Just today I saw a video they produced highlighting Little as one of five players the think could be real steals for the teams that draft them.  I honestly think we might be surprised how high he is drafted.  PFF can’t be the only service that has him rated highly.  Our guys are a sharp bunch so I would bet they have him rated pretty high as well.  Who knows how it will turn out but I would not be totally shocked if we draft him.  A real dark horse for sure.  I’m hoping he’s another one of our great 2nd rd picks.

I think that PFF story also said that the Consensus on where Little might get drafted was in the Mid-70's.    I confess that surprised me.     To me,  there are only so many humans that size who walk the earth with his kind of physical gifts, to say nothing of his mental gifts.    That combo alone is worth a R2 pick to me.    I hope he's high on our board,  but that 2-year gap is going to scare more than a few teams.   

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think that PFF story also said that the Consensus on where Little might get drafted was in the Mid-70's.    I confess that surprised me.     To me,  there are only so many humans that size who walk the earth with his kind of physical gifts, to say nothing of his mental gifts.    That combo alone is worth a R2 pick to me.    I hope he's high on our board,  but that 2-year gap is going to scare more than a few teams.   

Mid - 70’s is surprising.  They have him rated as their 4th rated OT I believe.   So that seems pretty far back especially for that position.   We are in uncharted territory for sure.  I would still bet he’s high on our board though.  Hopefully a target in a trade back.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And it's not a big deal at all for a number of posters here.....

Go figure.....        :dunno:           :facepalm:

I enjoy listening to him. Always fun to hear his input during draft season. I found it interesting to hear that he said there's "luck" involved, and you need more picks to take more shots. We already knew that, but I like hearing him admit it.

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

@richard pallo btw, sorry I got mad at you earlier today. I had lost $5 in a poker tourney in a bad beat right before the money, and your comment pushed me a bit over the edge. You're honestly a pretty solid poster. :thmup:

No problem.  Thankfully the draft will be over soon enough and hopefully Ballard will have another strong one. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

@richard pallo btw, sorry I got mad at you earlier today. I had lost $5 in a poker tourney in a bad beat right before the money, and your comment pushed me a bit over the edge. You're honestly a pretty solid poster. :thmup:

Appreciate the apology...   (I know it wasn’t to me...).   Still, it was classy of you.

But my question is this....

You really got that upset over a $5 poker bad beat?    $5?!?     That’s not a typo?

It wasn't $50?   Or maybe $500?   But really $5?    I didn’t see that coming.... 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Appreciate the apology...   (I know it wasn’t to me...).   Still, it was classy of you.

But my question is this....

You really got that upset over a $5 poker bad beat?    $5?!?     That’s not a typo?

It wasn't $50?   Or maybe $500?   But really $5?    I didn’t see that coming.... 

I was two players within the money and got two outed. It was more the potential of what I could of won. If I win my KK Vs QQ hand, I'm top 10 in chips with less than 200 players remaining in the tourney. I could of won $1,000 or more very easily, and the blinds were starting to force the lower stacks to shove more quickly as it was a turbo tourney.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I was two players within the money and got two outed. It was more the potential of what I could of won. If I win my KK Vs QQ hand, I'm top 10 in chips with less than 200 players remaining in the tourney. I could of won $1,000 or more very easily, and the blinds were starting to force the lower stacks to shove more quickly as it was a turbo tourney.

Thanks for the good explanation.   That makes sense.   As you might’ve guessed, I’m completely clueless in most aspects of gambling.   That’s why I don’t.    

I like watching a good poker movie or a movie with good poker scenes, but that’s where it starts and stops for me and gambling. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for the good explanation.   That makes sense.   As you might’ve guessed, I’m completely clueless in most aspects of gambling.   That’s why I don’t.    

I like watching a good poker movie or a movie with good poker scenes, but that’s where it starts and stops for me and gambling. 

You're welcome. I stopped playing for the day after that. Just played a little Fanduel baseball tonight for a dollar as a little entertainment instead and got 6 hours out of it. Watched Ballard's press conference a couple hours ago and enjoyed it. I have a feeling we will go after Darrisaw, and if he's not there, we'll try and trade down. That's what I'm leaning toward. I'm also leaning toward that Ballard doesn't see EDGE as big of a need as we all do on the forum, but that's just my opinion. 

16 hours ago, Gigc said:

Yeah, I caught that to maybe will be talking early Thursday who knows he was kidding. He didn't give anything away of course but still a interesting press conference. 

4 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, I caught that to maybe will be talking early Thursday who knows he was kidding. He didn't give anything away of course but still a interesting press conference. 

Trading back will always be on his wish list.
  A few of the difference makers he likes will likely be gone when 21 is up.
 And i think he is talking about guys that are real Pro Bowl+ likely prospects.
  If the offer is too good he will trade, but if one of this caliber players is there ...".
  To me, Greg Newsome is what this D really needs. Someone with the speed to chase anyone. Rock will always be a liability against fast, quick, and when the QB extends the play. Maybe play him more like the 3rd safety at times.

I finally listened to the entire press conference today.  The thing that stood out to me was how much he likes Lewis and how pleased he is with his growth.  He thinks highly of Turay as well and I get the impression he is expecting great things from both of them this year.  I certainly feel that way about Turay.  That's why I'm starting to think ER won't be our 1st pick.  The forcing the issue comment had me thinking about this ER class.  Maybe later in the draft we take one.  I still see us signing a veteran a well.  5 or 6 difference makers pretty much takes them off the board for us.  So for me I'm starting to think LT and WR as being high picks.  That's the strength of the class and we need a replacement for TY.  JMO.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Imo, it would make little sense for us to take Little. We might have the most questionable LT situation in the league at the moment so I really doubt we'd take the risk of getting the guy that has played the least amount of football out of anyone. He makes the most sense for a team that has a viable starter but views him as a high upside project/eventual long term solution. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I finally listened to the entire press conference today.  The thing that stood out to me was how much he likes Lewis and how pleased he is with his growth.  He thinks highly of Turay as well and I get the impression he is expecting great things from both of them this year.  I certainly feel that way about Turay.  That's why I'm starting to think ER won't be our 1st pick.  The forcing the issue comment had me thinking about this ER class.  Maybe later in the draft we take one.  I still see us signing a veteran a well.  5 or 6 difference makers pretty much takes them off the board for us.  So for me I'm starting to think LT and WR as being high picks.  That's the strength of the class and we need a replacement for TY.  JMO.

Yeah and it wasn't just the comments he made about Turay. He spent a good bit of time talking about how he wanted to see the younger guys on the roster step up, which I felt was almost addressing not resigning Houston and Autry as well. Plus, I have read a couple opinions about drafting some of the guys at the top of this class, which is typically where you want to try to draft for ER and essentially the Colts would just be stacking their roster with yet another player with the same build/skill set. Whether or not you get the performance you want from those guys is another issue.

The other thing I really took away from that was how he spoke of RYS. Of course none of those comments mean he will or won't make this move or another, but I felt those two particular answers he left a little more meat on the bone than most of the other questions he fielded.

Something to think about. Not only is TY on a one year deal but will we be able to keep pascal. He will get a longer deal somewhere. Then you add the uncertainty with Campbell. We could be in a major bind next season. So I won’t be shocked if we did go WR somewhere with how good this class is. Wentz is going to need a stable WR class beyond this season.

Turay is a stud. The only  thing that has held him back was that stupid ankle injury  He had improved so much in 2019 before that injury. It’s a good sign Turay didn’t get any other injuries in the games he played in.  Lewis has a great season last year and stayed injury free . He should be able to take Autrys place. Rochelle is changing systems to a 4-3 Maybe  that is better suited for him.

11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Something to think about. Not only is TY on a one year deal but will we be able to keep pascal. He will get a longer deal somewhere. Then you add the uncertainty with Campbell. We could be in a major bind next season. So I won’t be shocked if we did go WR somewhere with how good this class is. Wentz is going to need a stable WR class beyond this season.

Turay is a stud. The only  thing that has held him back was that stupid ankle injury  He had improved so much in 2019 before that injury. It’s a good sign Turay didn’t get any other injuries in the games he played in.  Lewis has a great season last year and stayed injury free . He should be able to take Autrys place. Rochelle is changing systems to a 4-3 Maybe  that is better suited for him.

I completely agree and I think this is the year Turay makes himself a lot of money.  Double digit sacks and a great number of pressures.  Just a feeling but I think it’s a big breakout year for Turay.

27 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

People talk about the oline but, WR is actually the deepest position group in this draft. I think it really is a matter of where you take one, but again what's your board look like after day 1, etc.

Archived