Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

I think I'm ready with my OT rankings for the draft. 

---tier 1 (top 5 pick in any draft)

1. Penei Sewell

---tier 2 (top 15 pick)

2. Christian Darrisaw

3. Rashawn Slater

---tier 3 (second part of R1)

4. Taven Jenkins (LT) *

5. Alijah Vera-Tucker(LT) *

6. Walker Little

7. Samuel Cosmi

---tier 4 (end of R1-beginning of R2 range)

8. Alex Leatherwood

9. Dillon Radunz

---tier 5(End of R2-R3 range)

10. Spencer Brown

11. Brady Christiansen 

12. Liam Eichenberg

13. Stone Foresythe 

---tier 6 + (day 3 of the draft)  

14. Tommy Doyle

15. D'Ante Smith

16. Jalen Mayfield

 

* those players are ranked there ONLY if our FO thinks they can play LT

 

I still have to watch the A&M tackles, but this is the general ranking according to my untrained eye. Also... I don't claim to be an OLine expert of any kind. I don't have a system of evaluation with grades in separate categories that will spit out a grade to me. All this is, is a ranking by eye test. In general it's done by purely subjective "evaluation" and answer to the question "would I rather have this guy or that guy". Nothing fancy so... take with a huge grain of salt... like almost anything on an NFL fan forum. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep.  Radunz fits the mold, as does Spencer Brown.  The other players have holes in their game too, and don't fit the mold. (Not counting Darrisaw and Sewell and the Gs)

 

I've been thinking that this OT class, true OTs, is not as deep as is being advertised.

 

Interesting that the two OTs from A&M score well.  WalterFootball had mocked us taking Dan Moore in the second round for weeks.  I've never heard of him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW Radunz measured with shorter arms than this at the Senior Bowl. I don't know which measurement I should trust. 33 1/4 or 34? 

 

I think Leatherwood is getting severely underestimated. He has prototypical size and movement ability for the position. He has some problems with moves to the outside, but this can be worked on, especially when you see his athleticism and how nimble his feet are. I'm kind of tempted to put him in the tier above to be honest. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW Radunz measured with shorter arms than this at the Senior Bowl. I don't know which measurement I should trust. 33 1/4 or 34? 

 

I think Leatherwood is getting severely underestimated. He has prototypical size and movement ability for the position. He has some problems with moves to the outside, but this can be worked on, especially when you see his athleticism and how nimble his feet are. I'm kind of tempted to put him in the tier above to be honest. 

I agree about Radunz.  I thought his arms were shorter too.

 

I was wanting Leatherwood a while back, but kept hearing how he's mainly a G.  He's athletic, measures up, and has actually played LT in a major college conference.  He might have some technique issues, but almost all of these prospects have some issues that need correcting.  I think AL is viewed as maybe having weak passion for the game though, and that could be a problem.

 

Or, it could be that the Nelson nasty attitude is the vogue thing for college lineman to try to copy, and AL simply doesn't have that type of personality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I agree about Radunz.  I thought his arms were shorter too.

 

I was wanting Leatherwood a while back, but kept hearing how he's mainly a G.  He's athletic, measures up, and has actually played LT in a major college conference.  He might have some technique issues, but almost all of these prospects have some issues that need correcting.  I think AL is viewed as maybe having a weak heart for the game though, and that could be a problem.

Yeah, I don't know about his love for the game. Haven't heard anything... I'm leaving this to Ballard to decipher and gather the info on. I don't agree with the people putting him at G. I think he's a tackle. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stitches said:

5. Alijah Vera-Tucker(LT) *

 

I haven't watched a lot of these guys, but I've seen some of AVT, and I think he's a serious project at LT. I mean, if you give him help every passing down and gameplan in a way to limit his exposure, you'll be okay, but if you're going to do that then it doesn't really matter who you put at LT. I think AVT is going to be best at guard.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to a podcast and they used the "Lazy" word about Darrisaw (Supposedly this was shared by some (or one) scout)

 

Could be a smoke screen

 

Just a data point....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I haven't watched a lot of these guys, but I've seen some of AVT, and I think he's a serious project at LT. I mean, if you give him help every passing down and gameplan in a way to limit his exposure, you'll be okay, but if you're going to do that then it doesn't really matter who you put at LT. I think AVT is going to be best at guard.

Who are your favorite prospect specifically for LT? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stitches said:

Who are your favorite prospect specifically for LT? 

 

For the Colts, or overall? 

 

Sewell, Darrisaw and Slater are top three, like you have them. I was thinking there was an outside chance that Darrisaw might make it to #21 but I'm starting to doubt that.

 

After that, it's a mix of guys who I think would be rough as Year 1 starters, but have the tools and potential to play LT. Cosmi, Jenkins, Little... I haven't watched some of the other guys, but several of them have the length and reportedly have the movement necessary, but I don't know about the combo of balance and power needed. 

 

Leaatherwood, Lichtenburg, etc., probably are Day 2 and beyond prospects, and projects, but seem to have the necessary tools. 

 

After listening to Ballard, it seems like we're going to have Tevi, Davenport, and maybe a Day 2/3 rookie competing at LT. Combine that with Irsay's comments on Nelson (and influenced by my own strong opinion, for sure), Nelson isn't in play at LT. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I was listening to a podcast and they used the "Lazy" word about Darrisaw (Supposedly this was shared by some (or one) scout)

 

Could be a smoke screen

 

Just a data point....

 

 

He's very... lackadaisical... doesn't always finish the defender. On the other end - Greg Cosell mentioned that everything looks easy and effortless for him, like he didn't even need to exert himself in order to do his job. So... I guess it's a matter of how you look at it. I personally ended up putting him very high on my board because when I asked myself "how important finishing the defender in the dirt is for an OT, if he does everything up until that point almost perfectly?" my answer was... "not very at all"... You probably won't get a ton of pancakes and defenders buried by the sideline like you would with Jenkins... but you also would get everything you need from a LT when it comes to pass-protection technique, great feet, very good movement in the run game, very strong anchor... Just Darrisaw looks like a guy who just... does his job... he won't go the extra mile to tea bag an opponent, but we already have that in Q and who knows... maybe some nastiness rubs off on him by playing next to Q? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

For the Colts, or overall? 

 

Sewell, Darrisaw and Slater are top three, like you have them. I was thinking there was an outside chance that Darrisaw might make it to #21 but I'm starting to doubt that.

Yeah... I think you would need to trade up for any of those 3. Even Darrisaw won't be there at 21 IMO. Too many teams needing OT help. 

 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

After that, it's a mix of guys who I think would be rough as Year 1 starters, but have the tools and potential to play LT. Cosmi, Jenkins, Little... I haven't watched some of the other guys, but several of them have the length and reportedly have the movement necessary, but I don't know about the combo of balance and power needed. 

Yeah, that has been my worry too. In another thread I even said that even if we draft someone like Cosmi, chances are he won't win the job against Tevi or Davenport year 1. I really want to see in what condition Little is right now, because from that group he looked the best to me... but... we just haven't really seen him in the last 2 years.  

 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Leaatherwood, Lichtenburg, etc., probably are Day 2 and beyond prospects, and projects, but seem to have the necessary tools. 

 

After listening to Ballard, it seems like we're going to have Tevi, Davenport, and maybe a Day 2/3 rookie competing at LT. Combine that with Irsay's comments on Nelson (and influenced by my own strong opinion, for sure), Nelson isn't in play at LT. 

Wait... did Ballard have a press-conference? Oh damn, I missed it... Irsay was ... interesting... yesterday. Irsay dropped a nugget about us needing 3 good CBs and hinted we only have 2 now, so I wouldn't be totally shocked if we pick someone like Greg Newsome or... if Farley falls and they are OK with his medical? Who knows... I'm so split on the CBs when I watch them. I want us to get CBs that can play more press-man.... but I know we play the most zone in the league and have to pull myself away from those players. 

 

I'm off to look for Ballard's presser.... be back with my takeaways. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stitches said:

Wait... did Ballard have a press-conference? Oh damn, I missed it... Irsay was ... interesting... yesterday. Irsay dropped a nugget about us needing 3 good CBs and hinted we only have 2 now, so I wouldn't be totally shocked if we pick someone like Greg Newsome or... if Farley falls and they are OK with his medical? Who knows... I'm so split on the CBs when I watch them. I want us to get CBs that can play more press-man.... but I know we play the most zone in the league and have to pull myself away from those players. 

 

I'm off to look for Ballard's presser.... be back with my takeaways. 

 

12:30 eastern today. Might not be up yet...

 

But it's not that he downgraded the position or suggested they're not interested. He just doubled down on the idea that they aren't going to reach, they aren't going to force it (at LT or edge), and that they want competition. Combine that with my thoughts on the tackle class and the way the board seems like it's going to fall, I don't see them having a great option there at #21. Like you said, maybe they feel great about Jenkins, but I don't... 

 

I haven't listened to Irsay. I read some of his comments. Don't know if it's an indication of what they're going to do in the first round. I think corner might be one of the best positions this year, so that probably means they'll have plenty of options at #21, but even a trade back probably still gets them a good prospect at that position. And everyone internally has acknowledged that Rock still is a work in progress, but they're all still encouraged by his raw ability and his hard work. So Irsay saying we have two but want three is kind of just an obvious statement to me.

 

I still think they trade back. Maybe not totally out of R1, depending on what kind of offers are out there, but I'm still betting they don't pick at #21. Ballard was kind of coy when asked about whether they want more picks. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say Ballard did drop a few unsolicited mentions of trading up.  I wouldn't hate Darrisaw at 21, but I sure hope they don't trade up to get him.  Let's be honest, you don't know what you have at QB until you see it.  You can't afford to be giving away more picks than you already have.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to make some comparisons to this year's class, here are some bowl highlights from Castonzo's senior year.   Of the LT pass reps I've seen from Jenkins, for example, he looks at least as good as Castonzo did as a senior or early on with the Colts.  Castonzo was good player for the Colts, but he is replaceable at 21.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, #12. said:

If you want to make some comparisons to this year's class, here are some bowl highlights from Castonzo's senior year.   Of the LT pass reps I've seen from Jenkins, for example, he looks at least as good as Castonzo did as a senior or early on with the Colts.  Castonzo was good player for the Colts, but he is replaceable at 21.

 

 

Costanzo was drafted with pick 22 in 2011.  I remember Pollian was so excited he was there when he picked him.  Maybe Ballard gets his guy at 21.  I'm guessing Little is going to be our pick at 21 or after a small trade back.  He had a great pro day and although he missed two years I think we pull the trigger anyway.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Costanzo was drafted with pick 22 in 2011.  I remember Pollian was so excited he was there when he picked him.  Maybe Ballard gets his guy at 21.  I'm guessing Little is going to be our pick at 21 or after a small trade back.  He had a great pro day and although he missed two years I think we pull the trigger anyway.  

You are very high on Little

At this point I would go

 

DE 21 Paye hopefully 

OT 54

Little Radunz Brown Christensen etc

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

You are very high on Little

At this point I would go

 

DE 21 Paye hopefully 

OT 54

Little Radunz Brown Christensen etc

Paye is the only ER I would draft at 21 and I don't think he will be there.  To many questions on the others for pick 21.  I don't see Little making it to 54.  I would go LT with the 1st pick and WR with the 2nd pick.  Need more talent in case TY or Campbell get hurt.  TY's last year as well.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Pittman was part of strong WR class and we took him early.  Could happen again.

Its possible I actually hope they trade back get 3rd and take WR or Tremble in 3rd

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Even a team like the Browns could have an off season. They look like a team on the rise but if Baker takes a step back who knows. They are still the Browns. The AFC is pretty loaded, the Dolphins look good on paper too, the Steelers and Patriots might even be good. They usually are, Pats re-tooled a little.
    • I'm predicting another FA.... Doubt the LT/OT class next year will be as good or better than this year's. And I don't see us picking early in the 2nd...    Or if Fisher doesn't recover and work out, we'll likely be forced to slide Q out, and if Q works out, then... 
    • I had to click cuz it could have been literally anything.   I may be wrong, but i think that ship may have sailed.  Reich seems to really like this new kid. Not sure thetes room for a 4th TE.  And i dont see doyle or mac goin anywhere this year.  I could see a guy added to the PS.   There are quite a number of guys at different positions that i see having more value on the roster than Ertz.   But, I’ll be ok with whatever.  
    • Yes, the same KC team that we beat at their facility with Jacoby as our starting qb in 2019?  I'm not saying we are unbeatable by any means but I feel there is not one team in the NFL that I don't like our chances against.  This offensive line + a top 2 back in Taylor will be special and add in a top 10 Def its a Championship caliber team.
    • Very interesting team we're gonna have this year, however a lot of questions.   - Can Wentz return to form? - Will Fisher be healthy enough to contribute right away? - Will Hilton and Campbell bolster our WR corp? - Will the defense continue their top 10 potential?   If the answer to all this is yes, we can be championship contenders.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...