Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

I don't understand the bolded one.   Why do this.  

 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31303703/nfl-owners-approve-replay-change-other-new-rules-2021-season

Approved a relaxation of rules for the numbers that players of certain positions can wear because of expanded practice squads. Running backs, wide receivers, tight ends, defensive backs and linebackers can all wear numbers in the single digits now if they choose. Based on preexisting NFL rules, players who want to change their numbers this season will have to buy out the inventory of the NFL's manufacturing partners. This wouldn't apply to players who give notice in 2021 that they want to change numbers in 2022.

 

Approved a one-year experiment in an attempt to make it easier to recover onside kicks. In 2021, the receiving team on kickoffs will be limited to nine players within 25 yards of the ball. Last season, NFL teams recovered only three of 67 onside kicks, the lowest total and recovery rate since at least 2001. As a result, the Philadelphia Eagles proposed that teams be given an option to gain 15 yards on one offensive play from their own 25-yard line to retain possession after a score.

Tabled a rule that would have expanded the area where players are prohibited from blocking below the waist. McKay said that there is enough support to pass the rule now but that several teams had questions that will take some time to address. It could be revisited next month.

Eliminated overtime in preseason games.

 

Changed a rule that will now force a loss of down if two passes are completed behind the line of scrimmage.

 

Approved a rule change that ensures the enforcement of all accepted penalties during successive try attempts, defined as an opportunity for a team to score one or two additional points during one scrimmage down.

 

Did not act on a "spot or choose" proposal from the Ravens for the winner of the overtime coin toss. In that scenario, the team would have the option to choose either which team will have the first possession of overtime or where the ball would be spotted.

 

Decided to include taunting among its points of emphasis for 2021. McKay clarified that the emphasis would be directed not at celebrations but toward acrimonious interaction among players.

 

Tabled a proposal from the Buffalo Bills that would have pushed back interviews for general manager and head-coaching positions until after the championship round of the playoffs and would have prevented hires until after the Super Bowl. It will be further studied.

 

Completed a study of the sharp drop in offensive holding during the 2020 season. McKay said that Walt Anderson, the NFL's senior vice president of training and development, would clarify the standard and put together a video for teams to consume before the 2021 season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's odd/dumb, as stated.

Per game, half, quarter, possession, series?

You'd think 'series', but it'd have to be 1st & 2nd downs, then it's 4th, so....... ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Yeah, that's odd/dumb, as stated.

Per game, half, quarter, possession, series?

You'd think 'series', but it'd have to be 1st & 2nd downs, then it's 4th, so....... ?

I don't mind a QB dumping a short pass to a RB behind the line of scrimmage.   I just don't understand the issue.   So this just adds up to more times a QB has to just throw it away.    Yeah, those plays are exciting.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that bolded piece is meant to eliminate the end of game, desperation, multiple passes back and forth behind the line of scrimmage. It really wouldn't have much of an impact on the game outside of a very rare occurrence.

 

This is what they're trying to get rid of:

 It's a ton of these plays in this video, but the first one should illustrate how ridiculous these plays are.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Edit to add, I think the rule is 2 passes attempted from behind the line of scrimmage AND completed. Obviously, if its passed the LOS, it's a penalty, or if it's incomplete, it's dead. End edit. 

 

The 2 forward pass was because of something Tom Brady did last year. A pass was thrown, batted back to Brady, and Thrown again for a gain of 8. It was 3rd and 10. 

It was an illegal forward pass. 5 yard penalty, repeat the down. 3rd and 15. 

Or decline and it's 4th and 2. Either way, the Offense gets another opportunity with 4th and short or 3rd and long. 

 

The rule is like intentional grounding. Loss of down and yards. 

 

link to the play referenced

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SSFiero said:

Edit to add, I think the rule is 2 passes attempted from behind the line of scrimmage AND completed. Obviously, if its passed the LOS, it's a penalty, or if it's incomplete, it's dead. End edit. 

 

The 2 forward pass was because of something Tom Brady did last year. A pass was thrown, batted back to Brady, and Thrown again for a gain of 8. It was 3rd and 10. 

It was an illegal forward pass. 5 yard penalty, repeat the down. 3rd and 15. 

Or decline and it's 4th and 2. Either way, the Offense gets another opportunity with 4th and short or 3rd and long. 

 

The rule is like intentional grounding. Loss of down and yards. 

 

link to the play referenced

 

 

You beat me to it. 

 @Myles as he said, it is the Forward Pass, which it is already Illegal to do two of them in NFL (Unlike XFL). Just this way a team (Brady) can't just catch it and try to throw it again and have the penalty be accepted so they get another shot. This way if that happens yards are lost and down is loss. There is no general effect against RBs passes as the new rule is just updating how the penalty is enforced which had already been a penalty.

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Myles said:

 

Changed a rule that will now force a loss of down if two passes are completed behind the line of scrimmage.

 

They must mean "during the same play".  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shive said:

I think that bolded piece is meant to eliminate the end of game, desperation, multiple passes back and forth behind the line of scrimmage. It really wouldn't have much of an impact on the game outside of a very rare occurrence.

 

This is what they're trying to get rid of:

 It's a ton of these plays in this video, but the first one should illustrate how ridiculous these plays are.

Those aren't behind the line of scrimmage 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...