Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For the Move Quenton Nelson to LT Crowd.... Way outside the Box.

So....    over at Stampede Blue,  they've got a story saying we've shown lots of interest in Quinn Meinerz.

And that got me to thinking....    (I know, I know....   Uh-oh...)

If the Colts front office thinks its best play is to move Nelson to LT,  but worries how to replace him,  maybe the answer is Quinn Meinerz.

To me, he's a mini-version of Q.     So...    how to do this?

You'd start by trying to find a trading partner at the top of the 2nd round.   Top 4-5 picks.    You'd expect to get that team's 3rd round pick as well.   Maybe even more?

From there,  you'd draft Meinerz with that first pick.   Just as we took Leonard and Smith with picks 36 and 37 in 2018.    Meinerz not only played exceptionally well in the Senior Bowl,  according to Zierlein,  he showed tremendous improvement on film from when he last played, which was 2019.    His 2020 was lost due to Covid.   

To those of you screaming that's too high for Meinerz, here's the deal.    If the plan is to move Nelson to LT,  and you want a plug and play guy to replace him at guard,  and you believe Meinerz is the guy,  then you HAVE to secure him.    You can't wait and hope he'll be there at pick 54.    Because if he's taken before you,  then your plan has just been blown up.   If we can take Leonard and Smith where we did,  we can take Meinerz that high as well,  if,  IF the plan is to move Quenton to LT.  

You don't have to use a pick on a LT.    Your second pick can go to Edge,  or to CB,  or to WR,  whichever you prefer.

Don't get me wrong,  I'm NOT in favor of moving Nelson.   I'd prefer to keep him at LG.    But if the plan is to move him,  and Meinerz is Q's replacement,  than I think this is how it would be done.   

OK, peeps,  let me have it!!     INCOMING!!!       :hide:       :peek:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • NewColtsFan changed the title to For the Move Quenton Nelson to LT Crowd.... Way outside the Box.
8 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I love Meinerz but I'm not in favor of moving Q honestly. I know it is possible since Q will soon get LT money. 

Don’t fear change. I’m glad the FO, is even considering this, although it may not be popular with the fans. It’s shows that Ballard is willing to get out his “comfort zone” and make a change to better the team. 

There are a lot of good reasons to potentially move Nelson outside. 
1. He can fix the LT position 

2. Money

3. Allow Ballard to trade back and acquire additional pick and draft Nelson’s replacement.  (Q. Meinerz)

It say mentioned this was still possible but last ditch effort. Said they all want an actualLT and to keep Nelson at his dominant position. This is all overblown in my eyes. But to your point @NewColtsFan we have better options at Guard in the early rounds IMO than him if we are dead set moving Nelson. 

I'm not in favor of moving Nelson to LT unless we're out of options. That doesn't seem to be the case, as Indy can draft a tackle and keep Nelson where his strength is.  I hope that's what they do. 

I think the reason you look at Meinerz is because he can also play C.  Replaces Glow and can fill in /replace Kelly if Kelly continues to get hurt. 

I don't think Meinerz has anything to do with moving Nelson.

I actually like the idea of trading back into the top of the 2nd and at least getting a 3rd rd pick that would not be a compensatory pick.  IF we wanted to move Q to LT Meinerz would be an ideal choice to pull it off.  That said picking at the top of the 2nd could still have Eichenberg and Little still available to mention a few LT’s.  I would rather go that route still taking a LT then take WR or CB with our 2nd and we have a nice 3rd rd pick to boot.  Then we could move up higher in the 2nd if we want as well.

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I actually like the idea of trading back into the top of the 2nd and at least getting a 3rd rd pick that would not be a compensatory pick.  IF we wanted to move Q to LT Meinerz would be an ideal choice to pull it off.  That said picking at the top of the 2nd could still have Eichenberg and Little still available to mention a few LT’s.  I would rather go that route still taking a LT then take WR or CB with our 2nd and we have a nice 3rd rd pick to boot.  Then we could move up higher in the 2nd if we want as well.

Gotta get a DE early as well. That has to rate higher than WR or CB right now. Much higher. 

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Gotta get a DE early as well. That has to rate higher than WR or CB right now. Much higher. 

The way I see it is that ER might rate higher but if a CB or WR is rated higher on our board at the time of the pick I don’t think Ballard would force the ER pick strictly on need.  I don’t see him passing on either of those positions under those circumstances.  It would seem very un Ballard like to me.