Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Fields telling NFL teams he has been managing epilepsy

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I grew up having seizures over half my life and it prevented me from being able to play any kind of contact sports. 

Were yours low frequency and short ones? I was sitting right next to my co-worker as he had a seizure, he let out a shriek, his body clamped, we got him on the floor first and one person kept his attention (reduces confusion, I learnt later) while we contacted Carmel Emergency personnel from my workplace. 

That was my first ever experience right next to a person with it. My co-worker, he dislocated his shoulder (apparently he does that a lot during seizures), and they pop back into place. He had forgotten his medication and every time it happened, it was about 6 months without driving for him till he showed progress again. He has since left my work to pursue and assist his wife's own veterinary clinic business. Safe to say, I felt scared there for several minutes, hoping the help would arrive fast and thankfully, he was conscious all the time, though I watched from a distance as the secretary kept him engaged. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

I grew up having seizures over half my life and it prevented me from being able to play any kind of contact sports. 

Awh.....

My first cousin Debbie has had it since she was like 9 years old. 

I'm not sure on frequency/type of seizures but she's ok. Hasn't prevented her from living her life.

You mentioned epilepsy prevented you from playing contact sports. It reminded me of our childhood and we,Debbie & I used to play football in the yard. 

It would be great to borrow EastStreet's Time Machine and go back to our childhood. :thinking:

• Like 2

This may change how the first round plays out.   I don’t recall this affliction surfacing like this right before the draft.   

I hope Fields doesn’t fall as a result, but I fear the worst for him....

5 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I had a couple while I was in my early teens. Still take medications for them today. Luckily, I haven't gotten one for almost 20 years. Sorry you had them. :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

This may change how the first round plays out.   I don’t recall this affliction surfacing like this right before the draft.   

Depends on the severity mine weren't the worst but there were honestly days when I awoke in hospital with no memory of how I got there in the 1st place. Its sad really cause something like this could cut his career short.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Used to work with a guy who had them often. Whenever work got stressful or kinda busy, you could tell he would be on the brink of having a seizure. His words would slur and he would have a blank stare. We would ask him to go sit down and he would get so angry because he wanted to tough through it like it wasn't a problem. But it was definitely a problem. One time I had him counting some money next to me and he just fell backwards and busted his head. Had a seizure and he was purple for a couple minutes before snapping out of it. Declined the ambulance because it cost too much money. It was just a normal thing for him. Hopefully Fields has medication or gets normal help because I'd imagine being in the NFL can be stressful.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

With his medical condition, how far (worst case) do you see him falling. 

It depends on the type of seizures and medication whether Fields' game is affected. 

I was diagnosed with epilepsy in my teens and had what is known as "petit mal" seizures which were controlled by medicine. The seizures, when they occurred, were small, where I became confused and out of it for a few seconds. As long as I took my medicine I was able to continue a normal life with no restrictions. One of the keys is finding the right medication. 

I hadn't had problems for a long time, and several years ago an EEG showed no signs of epilepsy; apparently I had outgrown it.  So it might be possible for Fields to continue with football. Each case is different, and time will tell. Wishing the best for him.

• Like 2

Need to edit something: the only restriction I had was driving. I couldn't get a license until I went at least 6 months with no problems. Then I had to get a doctor's permission to try for a driver's license. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Honestly?    I have no idea?   I think this may be unprecedented...   a QB dealing with epilepsy?    I think it’s unknown.

My fear, is that teams don’t like Big Question marks at that position.   I wouldn’t begin to know.   I hope for the best...  (but I fear the worst — draft wise).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, MPStack said:

All the way to the Patriots?? I am not sure. 

7 hours ago, MPStack said:

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

All the way to the Patriots?? I am not sure. 

Maybe to #21?

With Wentz as our QB, I wonder if Ballard would consider him?

.... And Wentz will say "oh boy, here we go again".  :funny:

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Maybe to #21?

With Wentz as our QB, I wonder if Ballard would consider him?

.... And Wentz will say "oh boy, here we go again".  :funny:

Nah, J. Eason is going to pull a Tom Brady and steal the starting job away from Wentz. Wentz will be watching from the bench like Bledsoe did by week 6. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2