Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Behind the Scenes: Colts selection of Edge (video)


Recommended Posts

This is yet another fantastic video from Colts Productions. All the hoopla around whether the Colts would take Ricky Williams or Edge with the 4th pick in 1999, as told by the primary Colts scout involved. Great stuff.

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

This is yet another fantastic video from Colts Productions. All the hoopla around whether the Colts would take Ricky Williams or Edge with the 4th pick in 1999, as told by the primary Colts scout involved. Great stuff.

 

 

Great video!  Edge was awesome to watch in that Colts uniform.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember it like it was yesterday. In hindsight, it looks perfect, but at the time, NOT picking Ricky Williams looked almost crazy. Williams, this was BEFORE his ganja stage, looked like the best back in SEVERAL years. I mean, he won the Heisman, there were four years of great games for Williams. For Edge --- this was before our Youtube era -- there were a couple of video clips from his massive UCLA game ---- that was it. Then, with the Saints trading their ALL of their draft picks to move up and select Williams, there was the question of whether we should have traded to collect all those picks.

Then ...

Edge came in and rushed for 1500 yards and caught 60 passes in his first year.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I loved it too,  but frankly, I was expecting to see and hear from Polian.   How hard is it to do a zoom interview these days?

 

I'm assuming he's healthy and would gladly do it.    It reflects well on him, so I'm curious why we didn't hear from Bill?

 

I also wish we'd have heard from Edge himself.   Was he surprised?   Did he know he was going to be our pick?   Etc.

 

I love the piece,  because it was a big shock when it happened.    And the Colts were proved to be right.   Mad props to them!!

 

:colts:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It was so heartbreaking to see his knee injury against Kansas City. The Colts we’re on a run that year. He came back and still had great seasons but I believe that knee injury hampered him the rest of his career. It’s amazing for such a short resume the number of yards and touchdowns he put up. In my opinion the greatest running back to Colts ever had

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember that day.  I was already upset with the Colts that they let Faulk go for a 2 and a 5.  Ok, that they let him go at all.  And when they didn't draft Ricky, I swore them off.  Nope.  I'll root for somebody else.  And then Edge has the rookie season that he did.  And I'm like, what do I now about football anyway?  And immediately bought his jersey.  I still own it.  (Can't fit into it, but I own it!)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

This is yet another fantastic video from Colts Productions. All the hoopla around whether the Colts would take Ricky Williams or Edge with the 4th pick in 1999, as told by the primary Colts scout involved. Great stuff.

 

 


It’s funny how history is written when hindsight is 20/20. No one outside of the Colts front office was saying the Colts would take Edgerrin at #4. LOL

 

It was a very shocking pick by everyone. 
 

Edgerrin was never even mentioned on any Colts boards until he was selected. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I remember that day.  I was already upset with the Colts that they let Faulk go for a 2 and a 5.  Ok, that they let him go at all.  And when they didn't draft Ricky, I swore them off.  Nope.  I'll root for somebody else.  And then Edge has the rookie season that he did.  And I'm like, what do I now about football anyway?  And immediately bought his jersey.  I still own it.  (Can't fit into it, but I own it!)


The day we traded Marshall, I literally threw stuff across the room. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It was so heartbreaking to see his knee injury against Kansas City. The Colts we’re on a run that year. He came back and still had great seasons but I believe that knee injury hampered him the rest of his career. It’s amazing for such a short resume the number of yards and touchdowns he put up. In my opinion the greatest running back to Colts ever had


Yep. That injury completely changed the way he played. He became a stronger back, but he never had that speed again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I loved it too,  but frankly, I was expecting to see and hear from Polian.   How hard is it to do a zoom interview these days?

 

I'm assuming he's healthy and would gladly do it.    It reflects well on him, so I'm curious why we didn't hear from Bill?

 

I also wish we'd have heard from Edge himself.   Was he surprised?   Did he know he was going to be our pick?   Etc.

 

I love the piece,  because it was a big shock when it happened.    And the Colts were proved to be right.   Mad props to them!!

 

:colts:


Polian had some big “” to trade Faulk for basically nothing and then draft Edgerrin with The 4th overall pick. It’s not the way I would have played it. Even today; not the way I would have played it. I would have taken the Saints deal, and probably still had the opportunity to draft Edgerrin. 
 

That said, I would have never traded Faulk away to begin with. I loved Edgerrin. He was a beast, but Marshall was the best all around back to ever suit up. He was as smart as a high football IQ QB. 
 

That entire saga had everything to do with Polian not wanting to pay Marshall what he was worth. Polian got very lucky that Edgerrin  panned out the way he did. Had that went south, Colts fans might have strung Polian up at the circle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I loved it too,  but frankly, I was expecting to see and hear from Polian.   How hard is it to do a zoom interview these days?

 

I'm assuming he's healthy and would gladly do it.    It reflects well on him, so I'm curious why we didn't hear from Bill?

 

I also wish we'd have heard from Edge himself.   Was he surprised?   Did he know he was going to be our pick?   Etc.

 

I love the piece,  because it was a big shock when it happened.    And the Colts were proved to be right.   Mad props to them!!

 

:colts:

 

I just read this Polians thoughts on the subject very good read . I questioned the decision at the time now I understand it ,

 

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201411/bill-polian-game-plan-building-winning-football-nfl-colts-bills-carucci

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

 

I just read this Polians thoughts on the subject very good read . I questioned the decision at the time now I understand it ,

 

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201411/bill-polian-game-plan-building-winning-football-nfl-colts-bills-carucci

Wow!    What a read?!   Thanks so much for posting this!!    This is exactly what I thought when I said Polian would no doubt love to tell this story.    What a story!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 I remember it like yesterday, then read the reasons shortly after the selection, and they made sense.  Edge played at The U, which ran the stretch, and the Colts were running it as well.  Edge also had fewer miles on his legs, due to being in running back by committee for most of his career there.  Lastly, Edge was the better receiver and pass blocker.

 

 I sometimes wonder if Ditka thought about making that insane offer to the Colts first? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

 I remember it like yesterday, then read the reasons shortly after the selection, and they made sense.  Edge played at The U, which ran the stretch, and the Colts were running it as well.  Edge also had fewer miles on his legs, due to being in running back by committee for most of his career there.  Lastly, Edge was the better receiver and pass blocker.

 

 I sometimes wonder if Ditka thought about making that insane offer to the Colts first? 


Ditka made that offer to every team in position to draft Ricky Williams. He went public about it. 
 

And Edge was not a better receiver than Faulk. LOL.... Faulk could have been a Pro Bowl receiver. He was that good of a route runner. 
 

Polian’s reasoning for everything he did with the RB position in the 99 draft is shady at best. I loved a lot of things that he did, but he left a lot on the table with this entire situation. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:


Ditka made that offer to every team in position to draft Ricky Williams. He went public about it. 
 

And Edge was not a better receiver than Faulk. LOL.... Faulk could have been a Pro Bowl receiver. He was that good of a route runner. 
 

Polian’s reasoning for everything he did with the RB position in the 99 draft is shady at best. I loved a lot of things that he did, but he left a lot on the table with this entire situation. 

Where did I say Edge was a better receiver than Faulk?  I said he was a better receiver than Williams.  

 

 If Polian received that offer, he made a big mistake, imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

Where did I say Edge was a better receiver than Faulk?  I said he was a better receiver than Williams.  

 

 If Polian received that offer, he made a big mistake, imo.


I misread what you said. You were comparing Williams and Edgerrin’s receiving ability. And you’re right about that. 
 

Polian absolutely got that offer. That’s the way Polian was though. He made a lot of great moves for the Colts, but he was stubborn as they come. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:


I misread what you said. You were comparing Williams and Edgerrin’s receiving ability. And you’re right about that. 
 

Polian absolutely got that offer. That’s the way Polian was though. He made a lot of great moves for the Colts, but he was stubborn as they come. 

Okay fair enough, you had me thinking that I was hacked!  I LOVED Faulk but was comparing Edge to Williams, solely.  Thanks for clarifying.

 

Man, they still could have drafted Edge with that deal....

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

Okay fair enough, you had me thinking that I was hacked!  I LOVED Faulk but was comparing Edge to Williams, solely.  Thanks for clarifying.

 

Man, they still could have drafted Edge with that deal....


Yep. Polian was like that though. He was always scared that someone would take his targeted guy. I remember Dungy talking about how worried Polian was that Bob Sanders wouldn’t be there when we picked. Polian wanted to move up. Dungy kept telling him to be patient, and that he will be there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2021 at 9:09 AM, NewColtsFan said:
On 4/22/2021 at 8:22 AM, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

 

I just read this Polians thoughts on the subject very good read . I questioned the decision at the time now I understand it ,

 

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201411/bill-polian-game-plan-building-winning-football-nfl-colts-bills-carucci

Expand  

Wow!    What a read?!   Thanks so much for posting this!!    This is exactly what I thought when I said Polian would no doubt love to tell this story.    What a story!

I read his book. It is excellent and very worth it 

 

if you are into the draft and respect polian you must check out his podcast.  Sorry but I don’t know how to link it.   He is a little elitist in it but really gives great insight to valuing the upcoming class.  I’m half way through the ol breakdown and it’s enlightening if not a little worrisome. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I read his book. It is excellent and very worth it 

 

if you are into the draft and respect polian you must check out his podcast.  Sorry but I don’t know how to link it.   He is a little elitist in it but really gives great insight to valuing the upcoming class.  I’m half way through the ol breakdown and it’s enlightening if not a little worrisome. 

Worrisome?

 

Yikes!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Worrisome?

 

Yikes!   

Yes.  Too many with short arms.  Not as strong a position for starters as the gurus (he pronounces it “guh roos” lol) would have us believe.  
 

it is well worth the listen. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Yes.  Too many with short arms.  Not as strong a position for starters as the gurus (he pronounces it “guh roos” lol) would have us believe.  
 

it is well worth the listen. 


I disagree with Polian on this years OL group. And in my opinion, Polian did not have the best success drafting OL. He was great at evaluating and drafting just about every other position though. Howard Mudd did a lot with our OL, and deserves a ton of credit for turning those late draft picks and undrafted free agents into starters and role players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Heading into the weekend as of May 14th, 2021 the Black and Blue Division standings look like this:   1. Cards 23-16 2. Brewers 20-19 (3 back) 3. Cubs 18-19 (4 back) 4. Reds 17-19 (4.5 back) 5. Pirates 16-22 (6.5 back)   -Bunched up as usual! Jake Arrieta improved to 4-3 on the season in the Cubs win tonight. Arrieta's W/L record in a Cubs uniform is now an amazing 72-34. Noting he is 2-0 in WS starts which occurred against the Indians in 2016. The Cubs gained a full game on the Cards, Brewers, and Reds tonight as they all lost.
    • Yeah Im not a big fan of them either. I would like to see those same contractual conditions, that you listed.   I just think, that if the reports are true(2022 void year) the Colts are going to go this route to save money in 2021? They might as well max out the most cap space they can.?   Void years are rarely a good thing for teams future cap. Won't hurt us that much, and if Fisher is coming back in 2022 and beyond, it will be well worth it to not take the whole cap hit in 2021.   At the end of the day the immediate goals should be/ Im sure are, to secure Leonard and Smith and Nelson next year for their 2nd contract. I think it is taken as a given, that we bring all 3 back. Will be a good achievement and hopefully Ballard gets that done. Im sure he will
    • found this on espn   "The new CBA expanded the size of practice squads from 10 players per team to 12 for the 2020 and 2021 seasons, and to 14 players per team beginning in 2022. However, for 2020 -- and for 2021 if any COVID-19 protocols remain in place for that season) -- practice squads can include up to 16 players per team. Of those 16, as many as six can be players with more than two accrued seasons in the NFL. The new CBA allowed for two practice-squad players per team with an unlimited number of accrued seasons, but the COVID-19 amendments expanded that number to six."
    • He'd have to clear waivers, but yes.    PS changes the last couple of years allow a number of slots (I think maybe 4 this year) for guys with more than 3 years accrued playing years. Basically, you can now stash vets on the PS. It's either 2 or 4, but though it increased to 4 this year.
  • Members

    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 9,807

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IinD

      IinD 2,146

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ClaytonColt

      ClaytonColt 296

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MFT5

      MFT5 231

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 10,351

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheNextGM

      TheNextGM 354

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mackrel829

      Mackrel829 200

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...