Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you hope the Colts do with Pick 21 (If no Trade)?  

35 members have voted

  1. 1. What do you hope the Colts do with Pick 21 (If no Trade)?



Recommended Posts

For now I'm still really torn. If Paye is there I think we should take him, even if it means we need to trade back up for a LT. But for now Cosmi or Jenkins seems like the way to go. So I vote OT. I know what we have with a good O-line intact. A good talented pass rusher up front with Buckner could be something else special, but I'll vote for familiarity and for giving Wentz a truly clean slate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I voted other because @WarGhost21has proven it is possible to get quality edge at 54 and plenty of talent still available OT wise for his 3rd Rounder he acquired 

The question did say (if no trade) by it on who we would pick at 21. By that standard, I'd go OT. There's just no guarantee on who Ballard would like would be there at 54. We can like 6-8 options at OT around that point as fans, but Ballard realistically probably likes 3-4. He then has to hope they make it to 54 and we can grab one. EDGE is mostly the same all throughout day 2 of the draft, and if we miss out on Paye, there's not a huge fall until probably late round 3. 

 

We can also re-sign Houston still. Kerrigan and Ingram are available after the draft without losing a pick, while the options at LT are guys like Villineuva, Schwartz, and Fisher. I heard Schwartz and Fisher may both go back to the Chiefs, and Villineuva will be a 1 year guy that's expensive.

 

All this makes me lean towards OT with 21 with no trade. You got the guy you wanted at 22 in Cosmi with the Chiefs. We could get him at 21 with the Colts, or maybe Teven Jenkins, and that would be a win over any EDGE besides Paye IMO. Now if Paye is there at 21, and I like a bunch of OTs in the 2nd, maybe go for it. That's the only exception to the rule though.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been following your guys draft. Pretty entertaining and great stuff. I almost was in it but declined at the last second. If I was @WarGhost21 and had the Colts I would've stayed at #21 and picked Sam Cosmi but that is just me. Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw was already gone but Cosmi was there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been following your guys draft. Pretty entertaining and great stuff. I almost was in it but declined at the last second. If I was @WarGhost21 and had the Colts I would've stayed at #21 and picked Sam Cosmi but that is just me. Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw was already gone but Cosmi was there.

Too bad you didn't join, it's been fun! I would of probably done the same at that point IMO in taking Cosmi. The trade down looked bad in hindsight. I knew @danlhart87 was trading up with me to 22 to take a O-Lineman, but I had no idea after @WarGhost21 traded down to 26 that @DiogoSales would trade in front of him and take Eichenberg.

 

The story of the draft is seeing how @WarGhost21 is reacting to the increased difficulty and creating a Colts draft and putting it together. Right now, he has Terrace Marshall Jr and Gregory Rousseau while trading up from the 5th to the 3rd. I'm curious what he'll do in the 3rd to help the Colts.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Too bad you didn't join, it's been fun! I would of probably done the same at that point IMO in taking Cosmi. The trade down looked bad in hindsight. I knew @danlhart87 was trading up with me to 22 to take a O-Lineman, but I had no idea after @WarGhost21 traded down to 26 that @DiogoSales would trade in front of him and take Eichenberg.

 

The story of the draft is seeing how @WarGhost21 is reacting to the increased difficulty and creating a Colts draft and putting it together. Right now, he has Terrace Marshall Jr and Gregory Rousseau while trading up from the 5th to the 3rd. I'm curious what he'll do in the 3rd to help the Colts.

 

 

style leonardo GIF

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Best player/value available. I don't want us to fill holes in the draft. Free agency is for filling holes, the draft is for acquisition of the best talent available.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stitches said:

Best player/value available. I don't want us to fill holes in the draft. Free agency is for filling holes, the draft is for acquisition of the best talent available.

Bingo. That's why I went Ojulari in the first round for the Titans, I was able to get the last WR in my tier in Tylan Wallace in the 2nd, and Asante Samuel Jr at the end of the 2nd for pure value. You let the players fall to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Bingo. That's why I went Ojulari in the first round for the Titans, I was able to get the last WR in my tier in Tylan Wallace in the 2nd, and Asante Samuel Jr at the end of the 2nd for pure value. You let the players fall to you.

Chiefs are already championship contenders so I'm being very aggressive trading up 

 

WIN NOW MODE 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, stitches said:

Best player/value available. I don't want us to fill holes in the draft. Free agency is for filling holes, the draft is for acquisition of the best talent available.

 

I'd usually agree, but between what's left in FA, and what's available in the draft... My answer is "Whoever is the highest LEFT Tackle on Ballards' board."  I know you're not supposed to draft based on need... but it's THE single biggest need, and it hasn't been addressed through FA yet.  And what's left in FA is questionable at best.

 

As the roster stands right now, we should take advantage of this Tackle class to solidify our LT position for the next decade.

 

I know the Tackle class is deep this year, but I don't like the logic of trading down to take whatever Tackle is left from a group/tier of Tackles.  I'm sure there's a guy or two that Ballard covets above the rest as a future stalwart at LT, and I think one of them will drop to 21.  And if you think there's a guy in this draft that can be your anchor at LT for the next decade, you draft him.

 

Even if that's the only pick that lands in this draft, a decade-stalwart at LT wins any draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I voted other because @WarGhost21has proven it is possible to get quality edge at 54 and plenty of talent still available OT wise for his 3rd Rounder he acquired 

 

Am I understanding you correctly?

 

You're now saying you'll take an OT with the 3rd round pick we're going to acquire by trading down?    Is that your newest position?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Edge would be my preference but actually having a player there who is worthy of that pick seems unlikely. Paye is the only one I'm absolutely confident in and after that it's seems like a lot of players with question marks.

 

We're looking for an edge to basically lead that position group so the bar is enormously high. We already have a number of rotational "second tier" type players.

 

On the offensive line our new pick could realistically be the 4th best player on our line and still be perfectly serviceable.

 

If we leave our defense with basically Leonard & Buckner as the key aspects we're going to struggle whereas a line of Q, Kelly and Smith shouldn't necessarily require top tier talent alongside them.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great question, but extremely difficult to answer today

 

The Colts will follow their board....

 

They spend a great deal of money on scouts and put many hours into the process

 

They wont just throw that out on draft day

 

For me

 

If they are at 21, and their top players arent on the board or not close, they will probably trade the pick

 

If someone ranked at 10, not at a position of need is there a 21, they may take them. 

 

Too many variables, but it would seem with the larger than normal number of quality OTs, the BPA has an excellent chance to ALSO be an OT at their pick

 

I would hope that we come away with a decent early pick on DE and LT

 

You cant take a  DE at 21, that ranks at 50, just because you have a need though.....

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depth at OT is much better then Edge.  If we could get Paye or Phillips in the 1st round and grab a OT in the 2nd I would be ecstatic.  Still should have one of Eichenberg, Radunz or Little at pick 54.  Any of these 3 in the 2nd I would be happy with.   

 

If we go the other way around I'm really not sure what Edge player we could target in the 2nd (maybe Ossai, Basham or possibly Tyron). 

 

Don't get me wrong if Slater or Darrisaw is sitting at the 21st pick I'm pulling the trigger.  Would look at Cosmi in a trade down situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

 

I'd usually agree, but between what's left in FA, and what's available in the draft... My answer is "Whoever is the highest LEFT Tackle on Ballards' board."  I know you're not supposed to draft based on need... but it's THE single biggest need, and it hasn't been addressed through FA yet.  

 

Yes, when you combine the fact you have no LT with the importance of the position, you draft for need here.  Outside of Taylor and possibly a few others, most of Ballard's picks have been need picks.  It might be the best player on your board, but your board is filled with needs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not be surprised if he doesn't draft an edge player. He let Autry go and they still haven't signed Houston. I believe they want to give Lewis, Turay and Banagou one last shot at securing one of the Dend positions. I think it is a weak Dend draft. I bet he goes LT. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the good Edge players will be gone by our #2 pick. Might have to select an Edge with our #21. Perhaps Paye if he's there. If not I'd look at Oweh, Phillips or Rousseau. Round two select OT - Eichenberg/Cosmi if they are there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Am I understanding you correctly?

 

You're now saying you'll take an OT with the 3rd round pick we're going to acquire by trading down?    Is that your newest position?

 

 

I'm open to the idea of other positions that aren't WR and OT because the class for both is deep

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, danlhart87 said:

I'm open to the idea of other positions that aren't WR and OT because the class for both is deep

 

Quite frankly.....

 

You're open to everything.     Your positions change day to day and seemingly hour to hour.    It's the one constant in your posting.     You'll have a new position very shortly.

 

Hey, whatever works for you.....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Quite frankly.....

 

You're open to everything.     Your positions change day to day and seemingly hour to hour.    It's the one constant in your posting.     You'll have a new position very shortly.

 

Hey, whatever works for you.....

 

I think the only one I will hold off 1st round is CB with Carrie returning 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Carrie adds solid depth so the need for one isn't as immediate as other positions. I do believe if they do draft one high it will be with the intention to take over for Rhodes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Irsay was on Indy radio yesterday and unprompted he started listing our needs and the first thing he said is "we need 3 good corner backs.... we might have at least 2 on the roster now"... Don't sleep on CB in the draft. IMO it's totally within of realm of possibilities that we go CB early in the draft. And this is especially true if they view one of those CBs as BPA at that point of the draft. (Farley?) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, stitches said:

Irsay was on Indy radio yesterday and unprompted he started listing our needs and the first thing he said is "we need 3 good corner backs.... we might have at least 2 on the roster now"... Don't sleep on CB in the draft. IMO it's totally within of realm of possibilities that we go CB early in the draft. And this is especially true if they view one of those CBs as BPA at that point of the draft. (Farley?) 

I would be shocked if we took Farley. The one CB Ballard loves is Greg Newsome. He went to his pro day and is gushing over him. I could see him go at 21, or in a trade down. Farley seems like a smokescreen to me. With the back injury, and only one year of production, he doesn't seem like a Ballard guy to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Carrie adds solid depth so the need for one isn't as immediate as other positions. I do believe if they do draft one high it will be with the intention to take over for Rhodes. 

CB is a HUGE need still. With Rhodes and Carrie only here one more year, and Rock starting to look like a bust, the only reliable CB we may have after this year is Kenny Moore. Yes, we have Tell and Rodgers, but they are wildcards. I can easily see a guy like Newsome or Melifonwu go to the Colts in the 1st or 2nd round. Ballard is going BPA at a position of need, not just choosing our biggest need(s) (LT and EDGE) no matter what. 

 

All I'm going to say is, prepare for a CB in the first two rounds. I can imagine there being around a 50/50 chance it happens. If Ballard trades down and accumulates more picks, that chance may grow even more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm open to the idea of other positions that aren't WR and OT because the class for both is deep

I would say the odds of whom gets picked in the first round is 1.) OT, 2.) EDGE, 3.) CB, 4.) WR, 5.) LBer, 6.) anything else

 

After that, Ballard could go in any direction IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is not indicative of the future, but if we are going by past picks, Ballard's better at picking O-Linemen than DE's since he's been here. 

 

Regardless, I hope it'll be OT for the first pick.

 

As long as it's not Phillips DE, I'm good. His injury/concussion history is way too much of a gamble for the first round. 

 

Buuuuuttt, I also won't be surprised (would be disappointed) to see him trade down either lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would be shocked if we took Farley. The one CB Ballard loves is Greg Newsome. He went to his pro day and is gushing over him. I could see him go at 21, or in a trade down. Farley seems like a smokescreen to me. With the back injury, and only one year of production, he doesn't seem like a Ballard guy to me.

I wouldn't be shocked if he gets cleared by our medical staff. Greg Newsome is a very good fit too. 

 

Also, Farley has 2 years of production. Which is kind of impressive. He was showing great promise even as a freshman. I think he's an exceptional talent with great physical and athletic traits. If he gets the medical OK, I'd be ecstatic to have him on the Colts. He hits all the marks Ballard has for his CBs too - big, physical, LONG... excellent in zone coverage. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would say the odds of whom gets picked in the first round is 1.) OT, 2.) EDGE, 3.) CB, 4.) WR, 5.) LBer, 6.) anything else

 

After that, Ballard could go in any direction IMO.

Animated GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, stitches said:

I wouldn't be shocked if he gets cleared by our medical staff. Greg Newsome is a very good fit too. 

 

Also, Farley has 2 years of production. Which is kind of impressive. He was showing great promise even as a freshman. I think he's an exceptional talent with great physical and athletic traits. If he gets the medical OK, I'd be ecstatic to have him on the Colts. He hits all the marks Ballard has for his CBs too - big, physical, LONG... excellent in zone coverage. 

I thought he only had one year of production. I guess I'm confusing him with someone else. My apologies! I guess it depends if we clear him. Will be keeping a close eye on him with the info you gave me here over the next week before the draft! :thmup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Age and health would be the argument for Smith and Leonard right now.  It’s not all about position.
    • It is my understanding the Colts grade every player on every pay.  Their has to be a method.  It was my understanding, i don't KNOW, that more teams than not subscribe to PFF, for their own reasons. Perhaps they too snark at their numbers.    The story i recently read/heard about a fumble recovery for a touchdown turned one DE's weekly grade from the 60's to near 90, well, that is very concerning if true.  The best way to see if someone is any good was back when i watched every Colts play in super slow-mo, sometimes frame by frame to see what really happened. Unfortunately i couldn't compliment that with all-22.  AC looked BAD for his 1st 3 seasons in pass-pro, and Andrew was terrible with timing and accuracy in the short game. Based on Harbaugh's pre-draft hype, and others of course "not since Elway," that part of his game disgusted me.  PFF can't reflect how much benefit or damage is done by the overall effectiveness of those around you, or good or bad coaching. Ras isn't everything but is a very solid place to start.
    • Nate only missed 1 kick in the Divisional round loss against the Patriots, it was a what would've been a then career long 54 yarder when he was rushed on to the field to attempt it as time was expiring due to the Chargers having burned all their timeouts. Had he made that kick, it would've only tied the game, not given San Diego the lead or win. He converted all 3 of his extra point attempts in that game.   He was brutal in the 2009 Divisional round loss to the Jets, he had only missed 3 kicks all season and missed 3 in that game alone, although one of them was a  57 yard attempt that would've tied his career long. He had already missed a 36 yarder and that Bolts were up 7-0 when Norv trotted him out to attempt that long one at the end of the half, and that miss combined with the earlier one seemed to scramble his eggs. Later in the game while down by 10, he badly missed a 40 yard attempt and although the Chargers got another touchdown, they ended up losing by 3.    He missed when he hit the upright from 48 yards out in the 2007 Divisional round victory at Indy and in the only AFCCG he played in, Kaeding accounted for all 12 of the Chargers' points by going 4 for 4 against the undefeated Patriots in the snow flurries at Foxboro.
    • You're probably right.  But a franchise LT is the more important position.  More than RT, and even an All Pro LB.   I'm not saying he'll sacrifice either of them in order to sign Fisher long term.  But I think that once they see that Fisher can play, they'll want to wrap him up long term.  He won't be cheap either.   I think it was on one of the podcast they pointed out where all of the LTs for the playoff teams were drafted.  Getting one that works out past the first round is pretty rare.  And we probably won't even have a first rounder next year.
    • That's possible, and sounds familiar. So how many plays might that happen on in a given game, and how many players are affected by it? Ultimately, what kind of impact could it have on a player grade if PFF throws out 5-10 plays a game?   Also, if a player was nursing a left leg injury, and used a different technique than usual to try to mitigate that injury, in turn taking a loss on a few plays, PFF grades them negatively. Which is fine. But that might result in a player having a month of lower grading than usual, with PFF not acknowledging the injury in their grading. They publish those lower grades, and fans/media say 'this player had a bad month at the end of last season, he's not a hot free agent.' Team X says 'he's outstanding when he's healthy, and he battled through injury, let's give him a huge contract,' and the response is 'PFF says he's not that good, that's a bad contract.'    Nothing wrong with PFF's grade, he did have a bad month. But they have a blind spot to context in their raw grading. And people who consume their grades have a tendency to quote them as if they are definitive. That's my overall point about their grading, and why it's not as valuable to me as it seems to be to others.
  • Members

    • DaColts85

      DaColts85 542

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cjrichard

      cjrichard 66

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PRnum1

      PRnum1 341

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtMan

      ColtMan 3

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 9,805

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Archer

      Archer 727

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Colt.45

      Colt.45 438

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • waka waka

      waka waka 133

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Roosarioo

      Roosarioo 2

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ThePowerslave

      ThePowerslave 37

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...