Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shive's First Mock Draft

I used TDN's Mock Draft Simulator and I tried to keep things as realistic as possible (not taking guys that oddly fall absurdly far). I double up on edge, but I think I hit needs without reaching.

Trade:

Indy gave up picks 21 & 206 (6th) to Buffalo for picks 30, 93 (3rd), 161 (5th) - Buffalo traded up to take Azeez Ojulari.

30. Liam Eichenberg | OT, Notre Dame - I teetered between Eichenberg and Cosmi, but decided to go with the safer plug and play option. Next to Q, I think a guy with a high floor and and average ceiling will still do well.

58. Payton Turner | EDGE, Houston - Really good edge prospect that may not be an instant contributor, but has all of the physical attributes we look for (size, length, explosiveness) and has a solid foundation to build from. After seeing an interview with him on the PFF YT channel, I think he also has the right mindset.

93. Trill Williams | CB, Syracuse - A prototypical CB for our defense. He's got the size, length, and speed we look for in our CB's. He can play outside, as well as in the slot against smaller, shiftier WR's. He can also lay a hit and is known for his knack for stripping the ball (in HS, he literally ripped the ball out of the ball carrier's hands right before they crossed the goal line and took it the other way).

127. Chris Rumph II | EDGE, Duke - After taking a pass rusher that checks our usual boxes, I veered a bit and went for more of a designated pass rusher in Rumph. He's 6'3" 244lb (think Leonard Floyd) and actually played in the 220's last season (he cited lack of regular facilities due to Covid, but has since been putting in work at EXOS). He's got the length with 33.75" arms and is an explosive athlete with great bend/flexibility. His dad is also a long time HS, college, and now NFL coach (Bears). He has some technical pieces to nail down and needs to get stronger/put on some more weight, but I think he would be a perfect rotational piece initially to add some speed off the edge.

131. Josh Imatorbhebhe | WR, Illinois - One of my favorite later round WR's. He's a raw from a route running perspective, but has size, good speed, and can out jump literally any CB on the field. He could just be a RZ guy initially, but with good coaching & development, could be special. He reminds me a lot of AJ Brown, just not as polished.

165. Bobby Brown III |IDL, Texas A&M - Dude is a brick wall and actually moves really well for his size. He can play either DT spot on our line, can play both the run and rush the passer pretty will, and while he could go higher than this, his questionable motor has me thinking he'll fall a bit. I think playing with Buckner and Stewart should rub off on him and I'd be willing to take the gamble at this point in the draft.

248. Zach Davidson | TE, Central Missouri - A small school TE (6'6" 240) that is more of a move TE than anything. He reminds me a bit of Dan Arnold in that he doesn't offer much in the way of blocking ability, but he's athletic and gives you a TE that can help in the receiving game. He definitely needs to bulk up a bit and get stronger, but I have faith in our coaching staff's ability to develop TE's. He also gives you the bonus of doubling as your back-up punter, as he played both positions in college.

13 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Eichenberg fan club members sign up here!

Eichenberg isn't exciting, but he doesn't worry me either. I'd much rather have Darrisaw, but that's been looking less and less likely.

Ended up doing another mock draft using NFL Mock Draft Database's simulator with no trades. A few of the same players, but a few new ones.

21. Teven Jenkins | OT, Oklahoma State - Jenkins ended up falling to 21 in the mock and I decided to take him. Despite the belief that he's a RT or G only, I think he's got what it takes to play LT and lock down the left side of our line with Q.

54. Ifeatu Melifonwu | CB, Syracuse - I think the most prototypical CB in the draft for our system. He's not as much of a physical freak as his brother, but I think he's a better football player. I draft his teammate at Syracuse in my last mock and honestly, I'd take either of them in a heartbeat.

127. Chris Rumph II | EDGE, Duke - See 1st mock. Smaller, explosive designated pass rusher

165. Josh Imatorbhebhe | WR, Illinois - See 1st mock. Developmental WR that could be an absolute steal.

206. Jamien Sherwood | S, Auburn - Sherwood played safety in college, but I see him more as a dime backer or even converting to OLB (6'1.75" 216lb, 34" arms). He gets a lot of comps to Clayton Geathers and I think they're pretty spot on. He is much better in zone coverage than man and is best playing up in the box. In the pros, I see him moving to OLB and I think he fits our mold pretty well, as I can see him putting a little bit more weight on.

248. Tarron Jackson | EDGE, Coastal Carolina - Developmental edge prospect that seems to have been gaining quite a bit of attention and played in the Senior Bowl. I don't think he'll fall this far, but if he does, it's a no brainer.

I'm not as happy with this one since the edge players I took are both guys that are more developmental than anything. I think this one is hedging our bets that we see some much needed improvement in Banagu & Turay, so we wouldn't need draft picks to step in immediately.

Love both of your attempts. The more I'm thinking about it the more I want us to do something similar in on the first 2 days of the draft - namely - trade back in the 1st, get another day 2 pick... get Turner in the second and best OT in 1st or vice versa - whatever the board says. 

22 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

Late but I like it. I don't know much about Rumph though. I'll have to check him out!

Thanks!

Rumph is definitely smaller than our typical pass rusher, but I like what he brings to the table. He has a tendency to play a bit upright at times, but the angles he can take when rushing are silly. He doesn't have the size or strength to overpower Tackles, but his speed, explosion, and bend make up for it.

Archived