Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

They did a mock recently alternating picks on ESPN

Kiper at 21 Jaelan Phillips

I can't believe this is the first edge rusher off the board. Phillips has a history of injuries -- he medically retired from football when he was at UCLA -- but there's no denying his pass-rush traits. And that's the Colts' biggest need.

McShay at 54 Dillon Radunz

Remember when new Colts QB Carson Wentzwas under fire every Sunday last season in Philadelphia? It didn't go so well. And left tackle Anthony Castonzo just retired.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

They did a mock recently alternating picks on ESPN

Kiper at 21 Jaelan Phillips

I can't believe this is the first edge rusher off the board. Phillips has a history of injuries -- he medically retired from football when he was at UCLA -- but there's no denying his pass-rush traits. And that's the Colts' biggest need.

McShay at 54 Dillon Radunz

Remember when new Colts QB Carson Wentzwas under fire every Sunday last season in Philadelphia? It didn't go so well. And left tackle Anthony Castonzo just retired.

Question:    What is a 105 mock?

Update:   Never mind.   I’ve seen their article so I know what 105 means.   Number of players thru a 3-round mock draft.    Remember, words can be your friend!       :thmup:

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not a bad haul. Idk if Radunz is my favorite OT prospect in the 2nd round though, but I like the concept.

Who do you like if we go OT in the 2nd?

Eichenberg?   

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who do you like if we go OT in the 2nd?

Eichenberg?   

I like Walker Little or even Spencer Brown. I just think size and strength is important. I know Spencer Brown is a small school guy but he had elite testing and he had a good showing at the Senior Bowl. He’s one of the guys who handled Patrick Jones all day long in the one-on-one’s. 

• Like 2

No thanks on Phillips.  I player who retires after three (I think) concussions in college doesn't sound like a player here for the long term.  We've already had a QB retire, so I wonder if Phillips is even on Ballard's board.

Radunz is athletic and is almost 6.6, has 34 inch arms, a physical attitude...and has been a true LT starter.  His issue is weight and overall strength.  One of his knocks is that he's not a hard practicer (I'm talkin bout practice) and did only 24 reps at his pro day.  An NFL weight program should correct his main weakness fairly quickly.

If we could trade down into the top of the second, I'm all for getting Radunz there.  He may be gone by 54.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No thanks on Phillips.  I player who retires after three (I think) concussions in college doesn't sound like a player here for the long term. 

I thinks it’s important to know that UCLA has a policy that forces players to medically retire if they suffer at least 3 concussions. That’s something that seems to get swept under the rug by the media. It has created this false narrative that he’s a quitter when the decision was out of his hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No thanks on Phillips.  I player who retires after three (I think) concussions in college doesn't sound like a player here for the long term.  We've already had a QB retire, so I wonder if Phillips is even on Ballard's board.

Radunz is athletic and is almost 6.6, has 34 inch arms, a physical attitude...and has been a true LT starter.  His issue is weight and overall strength.  One of his knocks is that he's not a hard practicer (I'm talkin bout practice) and did only 24 reps at his pro day.  An NFL weight program should correct his main weakness fairly quickly.

If we could trade down into the top of the second, I'm all for getting Radunz there.  He may be gone by 54.

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I thinks it’s important to know that UCLA has a policy that forces players to medically retire if they suffer at least 3 concussions. That’s something that seems to get swept under the rug by the media. It has created this false narrative that he’s a quitter when the decision was out of his hand.

I didn't mean to suggest quitter for no reason (kinda like Luck, but not really?). 

I mean't that three concussions portends future concussions, then retirement out of good judgment/safety.

37 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Thanks.   I had not heard that before, and I live roughly 20 miles from the UCLA campus. 

That said, I don’t follow either the UCLA or USC programs nearly as closely as I do a certain program that’s about 350 miles North of me!        :thmup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I didn't mean to suggest quitter for no reason (kinda like Luck, but not really?). 

I mean't that three concussions portends future concussions, then retirement out of good judgment/safety.

Doug, while I’d be fine with Phillips if he’s medically cleared, on balance, I’m with you.

I think Irsay and our medical team are very conservative by nature and I seriously doubt Phillips is on our board.   I’ve always felt that way.  

We passed repeatedly on Maurice Hurst, a DT with a heart issue, who went in R5 and he fit our scheme very well.   And we passed on Montez Sweat, a top-10 level pass rushing DE that suited Ballard’s wish list perfectly.   He too had a heart issue, and we passed even though his medical people put out a report saying it was a mis-diagnosis.  

We are conservative about such things.   I’m not complaining, just observing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.   I had not heard that before, and I live roughly 20 miles from the UCLA campus. 

That said, I don’t follow either the UCLA or USC programs nearly as closely as I do a certain program that’s about 350 miles North of me!        :thmup:

STANFORD!!!!

As for Phillips, I have to share the concern others have over his concussion history. He’s apparently prone to them, and the odds only go up that you’ll get one on the NFL. He can’t be but a few more away from having to step away from the game permanently. There’s no denying his talent, but I’d much rather see the Colts maneuver their way into getting Payton Turner in the second round. That guy is an intriguing, 3 down type DE. Relentless motor, pterodactyl arms.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

According to the article that LJpalmbeacher2 posted he had a concussion his Freshman and Sophomore years.  Is the article wrong or did he have a concussion in HS also?

For whatever it’s worth.....

I’ve read one of Phillios concussions came not from football, but from a car accident. 

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The talent 

What the fans and media may consider "less talented" players at a position, Ballard may not agree with. It's not like we would be in the top 15 picking an EDGE. The EDGE talent starts getting ranked around the 2nd half of round 1, and we pick at 21. There's nothing that would be odd about that according to any media source or draft analyst that ranks these guys if Ballard selected an EDGE at 21. Any position like OT, EDGE, or CB is completely in play honestly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1