Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if Houston doesn’t return to the Colts?


Recommended Posts

There are a few national writers who have speculated that Justin Houston will sign elsewhere either during or just after the draft. A fair question if that happens is: what are the Colts’ remaining options? 
1. Sign someone like Melvin Ingram or Ryan Kerrigan. Not very good options, but I’d take Ingram. 

2. Draft at least one DE early. This is the best and most obvious option, but after the second round, the pickings are going to be slim. So it will have to be a Day 1 or early Day 2 pick. 
3. Roll with what you’ve got. Ugly option to even think about. 

Conclusion: At this point, the Colts’ pass rush is seriously hurting if Houston isn’t resigned. Ballard of course knows this. Here’s hoping there’s a breakthrough in negotiations pre-draft, because signing Houston gives the team flexibility in the draft.  If the Colts allow Houston to sign elsewhere, given that this is a weak DE draft class, the Colts are putting themselves in a position where they HAVE to get a top DE early. And that could have them reaching Day 1 to make sure they do. To avoid that, give Houston a sweetener in the offer and get him signed!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hoose said:

There are a few national writers who have speculated that Justin Houston will sign elsewhere either during or just after the draft. A fair question if that happens is: what are the Colts’ remaining options? 
1. Sign someone like Melvin Ingram or Ryan Kerrigan. Not very good options, but I’d take Ingram. 

2. Draft at least one DE early. This is the best and most obvious option, but after the second round, the pickings are going to be slim. So it will have to be a Day 1 or early Day 2 pick. 
3. Roll with what you’ve got. Ugly option to even think about. 

Conclusion: At this point, the Colts’ pass rush is seriously hurting if Houston isn’t resigned. Ballard of course knows this. Here’s hoping there’s a breakthrough in negotiations pre-draft, because signing Houston gives the team flexibility in the draft.  If the Colts allow Houston to sign elsewhere, given that this is a weak DE draft class, the Colts are putting themselves in a position where they HAVE to get a top DE early. And that could have them reaching Day 1 to make sure they do. To avoid that, give Houston a sweetener in the offer and get him signed!

 

You ask a lot of good questions.    Unfortunately, I don't think that I, or anyone else,  has a lot of good answers.

 

Here's what I think we know.   Over The Cap has the Colts with just over $26 Mill.   Spotrac shows less,  and after the Carrie signing, I think we're going to be at $22.4 or so.

 

I also think we'd like to find a way to thread the financial needle and sign both Houston and Ertz (as a FA).   Even if you allowed $12 Mil for that, (Houston $7 mill and Ertz $5m)  that would leave us with roughly 10-$12 mill, give or take.

 

Currently, with our 6 picks,  Spotrac shows that will take roughly $6.5 to sign them.   But we all know Ballard has never had a draft class with less than 8 picks,  so expect two more, and that will bring the money needed to sign them to roughly $8 Mill.

 

Suddenly, we'd be down to $2-4 Mill and change.   Now, this is the part, where I don't know if @w87r  will step in for more financial adjustments that will show that we will have a few more $ than my math shows.    He's a wiz that way!   

 

But typically, teams want 5-10% in reserve for in-season transactions.   BUT....   can you afford to have that much in reserve when your cap has shrunk to $185?     Yes?    No?    I don't know?     Who knows?

 

So....    lots of questions that need answers....    and we just don't know?    Both Houston and Ertz look like situations that might not resolve themselves until May......    So, we're left hanging....

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoose said:

There are a few national writers who have speculated that Justin Houston will sign elsewhere either during or just after the draft. A fair question if that happens is: what are the Colts’ remaining options? 
1. Sign someone like Melvin Ingram or Ryan Kerrigan. Not very good options, but I’d take Ingram. 

2. Draft at least one DE early. This is the best and most obvious option, but after the second round, the pickings are going to be slim. So it will have to be a Day 1 or early Day 2 pick. 
3. Roll with what you’ve got. Ugly option to even think about. 

Conclusion: At this point, the Colts’ pass rush is seriously hurting if Houston isn’t resigned. Ballard of course knows this. Here’s hoping there’s a breakthrough in negotiations pre-draft, because signing Houston gives the team flexibility in the draft.  If the Colts allow Houston to sign elsewhere, given that this is a weak DE draft class, the Colts are putting themselves in a position where they HAVE to get a top DE early. And that could have them reaching Day 1 to make sure they do. To avoid that, give Houston a sweetener in the offer and get him signed!

I have no idea if this is 100% true, but I believe Ballards intent was to re-sign Autry and Muhammed, and let Houston go for a high compensatory pick. Think about it, we already re-signed Muhammed. Before that, we tried to get Autry back, and he went with the Titans. Autry is younger, and he signed for 3 years $21,500,000. Houston is older, and will probably sign for a bit more a year. That means we would of not only got a younger player at EDGE, but we would of got a higher compensatory pick in that scenario.

 

Now Ballard didn't get Autry, is probably going to get a 5th for him or something along those lines, and has to decide whether to re-sign Houston for more, who is older, and not get the higher pick for him. After the draft, I believe you don't give or receive compensatory picks for signing FA's or getting your own signed. So that comes into play as well. Ballard has a big decision here, and he knows better than us if Houston is getting interest elsewhere right now, or if it's worth it to sign him for another deal. 

 

Heck, Ballard may be interested in an EDGE rusher on day 1. Never know. We'll see. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hoose said:

There are a few national writers who have speculated that Justin Houston will sign elsewhere either during or just after the draft. A fair question if that happens is: what are the Colts’ remaining options? 
1. Sign someone like Melvin Ingram or Ryan Kerrigan. Not very good options, but I’d take Ingram. 

2. Draft at least one DE early. This is the best and most obvious option, but after the second round, the pickings are going to be slim. So it will have to be a Day 1 or early Day 2 pick. 
3. Roll with what you’ve got. Ugly option to even think about. 

Conclusion: At this point, the Colts’ pass rush is seriously hurting if Houston isn’t resigned. Ballard of course knows this. Here’s hoping there’s a breakthrough in negotiations pre-draft, because signing Houston gives the team flexibility in the draft.  If the Colts allow Houston to sign elsewhere, given that this is a weak DE draft class, the Colts are putting themselves in a position where they HAVE to get a top DE early. And that could have them reaching Day 1 to make sure they do. To avoid that, give Houston a sweetener in the offer and get him signed!


1) The Colts pass rush was ehh with Houston. 
2) Houston’s play certainly fell off as the year went along. 
3) Houston is not getting any younger and already showed signs of slowing. 
4) They are clearly going to draft a DE early this year. 
5) There is such a thing as player development. Maybe Turey and Banagu are better this year. 
6) After the draft, they will examine their roster and see if a vet DE makes sense. I would be willing to bet that Houston will still be available in 2 weeks

 

Conclusion - worrying about an aging, declining player right now makes little sense to me. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

You ask a lot of good questions.    Unfortunately, I don't think that I, or anyone else,  has a lot of good answers.

 

Here's what I think we know.   Over The Cap has the Colts with just over $26 Mill.   Spotrac shows less,  and after the Carrie signing, I think we're going to be at $22.4 or so.

 

I also think we'd like to find a way to thread the financial needle and sign both Houston and Ertz (as a FA).   Even if you allowed $12 Mil for that, (Houston $7 mill and Ertz $5m)  that would leave us with roughly 10-$12 mill, give or take.

 

Currently, with our 6 picks,  Spotrac shows that will take roughly $6.5 to sign them.   But we all know Ballard has never had a draft class with less than 8 picks,  so expect two more, and that will bring the money needed to sign them to roughly $8 Mill.

 

Suddenly, we'd be down to $2-4 Mill and change.   Now, this is the part, where I don't know if @w87r  will step in for more financial adjustments that will show that we will have a few more $ than my math shows.    He's a wiz that way!   

 

But typically, teams want 5-10% in reserve for in-season transactions.   BUT....   can you afford to have that much in reserve when your cap has shrunk to $185?     Yes?    No?    I don't know?     Who knows?

 

So....    lots of questions that need answers....    and we just don't know?    Both Houston and Ertz look like situations that might not resolve themselves until May......    So, we're left hanging....

 

OtC has us at $23.5m w/o Carrie signing. I imagine he is close to minimum, but will figure him in at $2m for this. So that would be a top 51 cap hit of $1.2m. Dropping us to $22.3m.

 

Now if we were to sign Ertz and Houston for your $12m that would only be a top 51 cap hit of $10.4m, dropping our cap space to $11.9m.

 

Currently only 2 of our draft picks count against the top 51:

#21 - $2.48m

2nd - $1.15m

 

Those 2 would only be a top 51 cap hit of $2m, dropping our cap space to $9.9m.

 

 

All other picks would fall below that threshold and not count against the top 51 cap.

 

Saying that, your scenario has us trading down(likely, imo), so good chance  it would be our 1st or 2nd, which would lower those cap hits.

 

 

So I would say your scenario would leave us with around $10m left.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

I think Ballard thinks the guys we have now, if healthy, are better options. Add a DE in the draft and we're fine.

I disagree with this. I believe Ballard didn't want to pay up for an EDGE rusher. He admitted he wanted Autry back, and he went to the Titans instead. That was plan A. Afterward, he signed Rochell and re-signed Muhammed to somewhat stabilize the D-Line. He is now having to decide whether to re-sign Houston, or draft an EDGE in the first two rounds. 

 

We are being forced to see what we have in Banogu, Turay, and Lewis. They are all 2nd round picks and it's sink or swim for them. They definitely aren't better options than Autry and Houston. I would say the same about the top EDGE rushers in FA this year. Cheaper? Yes. Better? No. Right now, we don't have an EDGE rusher that we can depend on. Maybe that changes, but EDGE is our biggest weakness on the team, bar none. At least with LT, it can be masked with Q and the rest of the O-Line along with some solid depth we signed. We are literally masking the entire EDGE spot with Buckner right now, and we're fully dependant on signing Houston back, or drafting an EDGE rusher that makes an immediate impact without knowing yet if Banogu, Turay, or Lewis improves.

 

Unfortunately, losing Autry hurt pretty badly. That will be hard to make up without some luck.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jskinnz said:


1) The Colts pass rush was ehh with Houston. 
2) Houston’s play certainly fell off as the year went along. 
3) Houston is not getting any younger and already showed signs of slowing. 
4) They are clearly going to draft a DE early this year. 
5) There is such a thing as player development. Maybe Turey and Banagu are better this year. 
6) After the draft, they will examine their roster and see if a vet DE makes sense. I would be willing to bet that Houston will still be available in 2 weeks

 

Conclusion - worrying about an aging, declining player right now makes little sense to me. 

I totally agree you said it perfectly Houston was ehh last season and believe if he was anymore than ehh Ballard would already signed him already. This is a big year for Turay if he can stay healthy maybe he can have a big year. I believe Ballard has a plan and I'm looking forward to finding out what it is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

As I said on another thread... Our current DE group is near the bottom of the NFL (Bottom 5)

 

We HAVE to address this with at least one of our early picks 

 

 

Completely agree. 

 

The biggest issue.....if Houston is still our primary focus.....is that even resigning him barely elevates it.

 

Young blood is needed and it has to be miles better than the previous attempts we've made to improve it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a Houston fan, so don't get me wrong when I say this, but: 

 

When a 32 yr old DE with 8 sacks is your best option, you have issues. 

 

I don't get the warm & fuzzies thinking about their current options after him either.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I disagree with this. I believe Ballard didn't want to pay up for an EDGE rusher. He admitted he wanted Autry back, and he went to the Titans instead. That was plan A. Afterward, he signed Rochell and re-signed Muhammed to somewhat stabilize the D-Line. He is now having to decide whether to re-sign Houston, or draft an EDGE in the first two rounds. 

 

We are being forced to see what we have in Banogu, Turay, and Lewis. They are all 2nd round picks and it's sink or swim for them. They definitely aren't better options than Autry and Houston. I would say the same about the top EDGE rushers in FA this year. Cheaper? Yes. Better? No. Right now, we don't have an EDGE rusher that we can depend on. Maybe that changes, but EDGE is our biggest weakness on the team, bar none. At least with LT, it can be masked with Q and the rest of the O-Line along with some solid depth we signed. We are literally masking the entire EDGE spot with Buckner right now, and we're fully dependant on signing Houston back, or drafting an EDGE rusher that makes an immediate impact without knowing yet if Banogu, Turay, or Lewis improves.

 

Unfortunately, losing Autry hurt pretty badly. That will be hard to make up without some luck.

 

 Houston is pretty decent but he doesn't elevate our pass rush so much.
And historically few rookies come in and make much difference in year one.
I don't think Ballard really wanted Autry, TY, or likely Houston back. He wanted them to sign for Big $$$ and get the comp picks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 I would be surprised if Houston wasn't re-signed as the Colts pretty much need him and he might not get more money elsewhere.  There may not be a player that can make an immediate impact at 21 at the Edge position.  Plus the depth of OT would be the wiser move at 21, since you are more likely to get a better quality player at OT.

 

 I can't see the Colts starting the season with Lewis, Turay(if he can even stay healthy), Banogu, Muhammed, and possibly Rochell, without seriously considering the need for Houston's experience.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ballard wanted all of the players we signed back or he would not have made them an offer.  He signed them for contracts he was happy with.  He lost Autry and I''m sure he was disappointed.  I think he wants Houston back as well.  If Houston signs elsewhere I think we will sign one of the other FA ER's.  You really can't count on one of the rookie ER's to come in and make a big impact.  Not with this class.  Need to sign a vet who can still hold the fort.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

 I would be surprised if Houston wasn't re-signed as the Colts pretty much need him and he might get more money elsewhere.  There may not be a player that can make an immediate impact at 21 at the Edge position.  Plus the depth of OT would be the wiser move at 21, since you are more likely to get a better quality player at OT.

 

 I can't see the Colts starting the season with Lewis, Turay(if he can even stay healthy), Banogu, Muhammed, and possibly Rochell, without seriously considering the need for Houston's experience.


Ballard says he won’t force anything, so maybe the Colts will just have to roll with what they have at DE. I honestly don’t know, but I’m no fan of the DE class. So, if he addresses the OT or even CB position, and drafts a DE/Edge in the middle to late Rd I’m fine with it, because he’ll at least improved other areas moving forward. He cannot fix everything in 2021 and needs to just keep adding quality players to the roster. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, w87r said:

OtC has us at $23.5m w/o Carrie signing. I imagine he is close to minimum, but will figure him in at $2m for this. So that would be a top 51 cap hit of $1.2m. Dropping us to $22.3m.

 

Now if we were to sign Ertz and Houston for your $12m that would only be a top 51 cap hit of $10.4m, dropping our cap space to $11.9m.

 

Currently only 2 of our draft picks count against the top 51:

#21 - $2.48m

2nd - $1.15m

 

Those 2 would only be a top 51 cap hit of $2m, dropping our cap space to $9.9m.

 

 

All other picks would fall below that threshold and not count against the top 51 cap.

 

Saying that, your scenario has us trading down(likely, imo), so good chance  it would be our 1st or 2nd, which would lower those cap hits.

 

 

So I would say your scenario would leave us with around $10m left.

This is great info. Thank you. Just curious: what are your thoughts on re-signing Houston vs. the other options?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have no idea if this is 100% true, but I believe Ballards intent was to re-sign Autry and Muhammed, and let Houston go for a high compensatory pick. Think about it, we already re-signed Muhammed. Before that, we tried to get Autry back, and he went with the Titans. Autry is younger, and he signed for 3 years $21,500,000. Houston is older, and will probably sign for a bit more a year. That means we would of not only got a younger player at EDGE, but we would of got a higher compensatory pick in that scenario.

 

Now Ballard didn't get Autry, is probably going to get a 5th for him or something along those lines, and has to decide whether to re-sign Houston for more, who is older, and not get the higher pick for him. After the draft, I believe you don't give or receive compensatory picks for signing FA's or getting your own signed. So that comes into play as well. Ballard has a big decision here, and he knows better than us if Houston is getting interest elsewhere right now, or if it's worth it to sign him for another deal. 

 

Heck, Ballard may be interested in an EDGE rusher on day 1. Never know. We'll see. :) 

ballard may think our pass rush is on the roster

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hoose said:

This is great info. Thank you. Just curious: what are your thoughts on re-signing Houston vs. the other options?

I would prefer to sign Houston and draft one. Will evaluate other options once that is off the table.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming Autry’s money (that they offered) didn’t go to TY...then you would think they budgeted for a vet ER signing. Of course this likely won’t happen after the draft once the comp pick deadline passes. 
 

And at that point, they might be able to get one for very cheap. 
 

If they wanted Houston back, I think they would have signed him by now. He doesn’t impact the comp picks because he’s an internal FA...and it’s pretty clear that no other team is going to sign him until after the comp pick deadline. So I am guessing the Colts aren’t interested unless the price is very cheap.

 

As much as I would love to see a Muncie kid playing for the Colts, I don’t know if Kerrigan makes a lot of sense either because of his age.

 

But obviously we don’t get an answer until after the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MPStack said:


Ballard says he won’t force anything, so maybe the Colts will just have to roll with what they have at DE. I honestly don’t know, but I’m no fan of the DE class. So, if he addresses the OT or even CB position, and drafts a DE/Edge in the middle to late Rd I’m fine with it, because he’ll at least improved other areas moving forward. He cannot fix everything in 2021 and needs to just keep adding quality players to the roster. 

he may expect the people he has drafted for pass rush to be great this year

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

ballard may think our pass rush is on the roster


He might, as Ballard has stated, it takes 3-4 years for pass rushers to start contributing. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

he may expect the people he has drafted for pass rush to be great this year

You may be right, but that’s a heckuva gamble considering how meager the pass rush was last year. Eliminate Houston and Autry and you’re really only left with Buckner as a reliable pass rush threat. And with the odds that a draft pick won’t make an impact  until year 2 at best, what are you left with? Which is why I advocate for resigning Houston in 2021 and drafting a DE early for the future. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MPStack said:


He might, as Ballard has stated, it takes 3-4 years for pass rushers to start contributing. 

 

So even if we draft an edge rusher this year, based on Ballard's comments, they won't really contribute this year.  So all of the concern that we must draft an ER early to save us this year aren't really valid in Ballard's view.  

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

 Our current DE group is near the bottom of the NFL (Bottom 5)

 

We HAVE to address this with at least one of our early picks 

 

 

 

But in what is called a weak DE draft class, how much if any will a 1st or especially a 2nd round pick improve the DE group??

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gspdx said:

 

So even if we draft an edge rusher this year, based on Ballard's comments, they won't really contribute this year.  So all of the concern that we must draft an ER early to save us this year aren't really valid in Ballard's view.  

 


I would hope not. Especially, if your drafting folks in the 1st and 2nd Rd. I expect most 1st Rd players to contribute as rookies. 2nd Rd picks, should be starting or heavily contributing by year two IMO. You don’t draft guys in the 1st or 2nd rounds, that take 3-4 years to develop. If, they take that long, call it what it is, a bad pick. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MPStack said:


I would hope not. Especially, if your drafting folks in the 1st and 2nd Rd. I expect most 1st Rd players to contribute as rookies. 2nd Rd picks, should be starting or heavily contributing by year two IMO. You don’t draft guys in the 1st or 2nd rounds, that take 3-4 years to develop. If, they take that long, call it what it is, a bad pick. 
 

 

 

I get what you are saying.  But if Ballard truly believes this I don't think he will be pressured into having to go for an edge rusher early.  I think quite a few people could be disappointed by his draft if that is what they are expecting.

 

I am not saying whether it is right or wrong; I am just trying to see things the way Ballard does.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, w87r said:

OtC has us at $23.5m w/o Carrie signing. I imagine he is close to minimum, but will figure him in at $2m for this. So that would be a top 51 cap hit of $1.2m. Dropping us to $22.3m.

 

Now if we were to sign Ertz and Houston for your $12m that would only be a top 51 cap hit of $10.4m, dropping our cap space to $11.9m.

 

Currently only 2 of our draft picks count against the top 51:

#21 - $2.48m

2nd - $1.15m

 

Those 2 would only be a top 51 cap hit of $2m, dropping our cap space to $9.9m.

 

 

All other picks would fall below that threshold and not count against the top 51 cap.

 

Saying that, your scenario has us trading down(likely, imo), so good chance  it would be our 1st or 2nd, which would lower those cap hits.

 

 

So I would say your scenario would leave us with around $10m left.

Wow!    Only the top 2 draft picks count against the top 51?!?   Wowza!    I never heard that one before!!     See?   That’s why I @ you, so you’d see my post and surely chime in! Wow, did that pay off!  


(Have I said “wow” enough times yet?!?). :thmup:

 

Based on your calculations, we’re going to have the needed money (and maybe a little more) to make the possible in-season moves, etc.    

 

We might even be able to squeeze an extra mill here or there at Houston and/or Ertz?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

They will probably have a weak pass rush this year, and continue to struggle closing out good offenses.  Im not sure Houston is even the answer and the draft doesnt look great either

 

We had it last year too, but the Colts still finished 11-5, so it’s not the end of the world. I suspect that might be the case again in 2021, and I’d rather Ballard fix something else, be it OT, CB or maybe even WR, if the Edge prospects are just not that good. The Colts don’t need anymore guys, that are going to take 3-4 years to contribute as pass rushers. Those guys are already on the roster.  
 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow!    Only the top 2 draft picks count against the top 51?!?   Wowza!    I never heard that one before!!     See?   That’s why I @ you, so you’d see my post and surely chime in! Wow, did that pay off!  


(Have I said “wow” enough times yet?!?). :thmup:

 

Based on your calculations, we’re going to have the needed money (and maybe a little more) to make the possible in-season moves, etc.    

 

We might even be able to squeeze an extra mill here or there at Houston and/or Ertz?

Eventually the other draft picks that stick with team will count against the cap, but that will be after final cuts and some of those players above them are gone.

 

Edit: and it is only our top 2 picks because those picks make over the $850k of our current 51st highest salary.

 

And (2) players at $850k will fall off when those 2 are signed and save $1.7m from that against top 51.

 

$3.63m(1st/2nd round picks)

-$1.7m(2 players drop off top 51)

_________

$1.93m net top 51 cap hit

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

We had it last year too, but the Colts still finished 11-5, so it’s not the end of the world. I suspect that might be the case again in 2021, and I’d rather Ballard fix something else, be it OT, CB or maybe even WR, if the Edge prospects are just not that good. The Colts don’t need anymore guys, that are going to take 3-4 years to contribute as pass rushers. Those guys are already on the roster.  
 

Yeah I’m with you on this.  Especially if we can resign Houston or sign another veteran ER.  Fix OT and take a WR or CB with the first two picks and we have a chance at another great draft.  I am hearing and reading a lot of reports today about a lot more teams willing to trade back.  I see that as a red flag especially in light of a weak ER class.  With all of the uncertainty this year I would prefer we draft into the strength of the class.  TY an Rhodes aren’t getting any younger. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Draft experienced college starter LDE types like Payton Turner or Carlos Basham in the 2nd round for immediate help, and a more bendy guy like Chancey Golston in the later rounds...which is where bendy developmental guys should be drafted.

 

The thing with Houston might be beyond Ballard's immediate control.  Houston might be thinking he could do the Veldeer move...sign with a playoff team late in the year and hope to slide into a Super Bowl ring situation....unless the money to play the entire year blows him away.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Draft experienced college starter LDE types like Payton Turner or Carlos Basham in the 2nd round for immediate help, and a more bendy guy like Chancey Golston in the later rounds...which is where bendy developmental guys should be drafted.

 

Absolutely

 

Get TWO... one early, one mid round

 

Let them compete

 

My guess is that we will lose HALF of our current DEs after the season

 

THEN what do you have, if you dont put some emphasis on it in this draft?

 

Keep bringing in young'ns with potential at DE, we WILL..... find one (Or two) that will develop

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Absolutely

 

Get TWO... one early, one mid round

 

Let them compete

 

My guess is that we will lose HALF of our current DEs after the season

 

THEN what do you have, if you dont put some emphasis on it in this draft?

 

Keep bringing in young'ns with potential at DE, we WILL..... find one (Or two) that will develop

Two, but not copies of each other.  One stout that can move inside...like Autry and Shearer.  And one light and bendy to rotate with Turay.  

 

Can't be sure that Lewis and Banogu are going to earn a second contract.  Its probably less than 50% right now that either do, IMO.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

We had it last year too, but the Colts still finished 11-5, so it’s not the end of the world. I suspect that might be the case again in 2021, and I’d rather Ballard fix something else, be it OT, CB or maybe even WR, if the Edge prospects are just not that good. The Colts don’t need anymore guys, that are going to take 3-4 years to contribute as pass rushers. Those guys are already on the roster.  
 

I dont think they should force it in the draft, but there were free agents that i think are better than what we have now.

 

11-5 wasn't bad, but they beat some weak teams last year and struggled getting to the QB against afc playoff teams.  Its hard to close out good teams like the bills and steelers when we have no pass rush

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of acknowledgement or support of "development" on this board is astounding. 

 

FA value is for the most part expensive....or oft injured.....or aging. DeBuc was a rare opportunity, and Ballard nailed it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The thing with Houston might be beyond Ballard's immediate control.  Houston might be thinking he could do the Veldeer move...sign with a playoff team late in the year and hope to slide into a Super Bowl ring situation....unless the money to play the entire year blows him away.

True

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Two, but not copies of each other.  One stout that can move inside...like Autry and Shearer.  And one light and bendy to rotate with Turay.  

 

Can't be sure that Lewis and Banogu are going to earn a second contract.  Its probably less than 50% right now that either do, IMO.

Agreed,

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • OMG. I've been saying the same thing, just using his last name in there too. Such an obscure connection to make and I have no clue how the both of us made it.
    • If Leno is an upgrade then I question why the team signed all these other guys that really can’t play. They aren’t any better than Clark. Should have drafted one rather than signing up quantity over quality.
    • That may be, but why cut one of the most prized positions on a team when he wasn’t all that expensive? It would make sense to cut Nick Foles to save bucks if Leno was as good as some think.
    • Lets look at Leno a bit more   Villinueva had a PFF Ranking at 74.6 Anthony Cantstandya had a PFF Ranking of 73.4 Leno had a PFF Ranking of 74.6   Leno isnt an ALL PRO..... I get it..... but he isnt far off of other LTs that we were clamoring for   Leno also..... started EVERY GAME for 5 years.......  Thats big   Leno is better than Tevi..... if I am Wentz and there is choice between these two, I am standing on the table shouting "LENO!"   As mentioned, Leno would get a "boost" to play better because the line stunts Q is going to hold his own   The Colts need to get thru this coming year at LT. Leno isnt the long term answer (I dont think) But he is good enough to play LT on this line, for this year.   If we play a team with a dominant RDE, you chip the guy, or have a large number of plays where the the TE blocks.    A good running attack also helps slow down the pass rush     I started out wanting Fisher, and they may work something out for the long run, but Leno seems to be someone that we can plug in and go With all the research pointing to a 11-12 months on a full recovery, for Fisher, I think the Colts may let him pass How do you pay the guy for this year, if he isnt playing?   Tough calls..... I hope W.T.H. will not sign Leno.
    • His measurable s (As listed above by Scott) and college success were very very impressive. I wouldnt say no one cares what round you were drafted in, higher picks still get more chances without previous success than non. I guess time will tell but our system seems like a very good fit for what he does well.
  • Members

    • jal8908

      jal8908 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shive

      Shive 2,570

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 427HR

      427HR 2

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PeterBowman

      PeterBowman 1,492

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • il vecchio

      il vecchio 117

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • fatboy

      fatboy 82

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 8,663

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Robin

      Robin 100

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chucklez

      Chucklez 319

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Blueblood23

      Blueblood23 349

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...