Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Jerry Hughes Ever Gonna Get A Shot?

BProland85

I know this kid has talent, or else he wouldnt have been projected to go in the 1st round a few years back. If, and I still say IF we keep Freeney when the draft is done, Hughes is still not going to be a starter at OLB.

My question is, when if ever is Hughes gonna get a shot to start? I dont think he's been given much time on the field to do much, and with this new 3-4 defense, it should benefit him better playing as a DE/OLB hybrid player.

I just would like to see this 1st round pick go unwasted is all Im saying. Thats why I've been a supporter of trading Freeney all this time. He still has trade value and is getting a little older, so if a team gets desperate come draft day and is willing to offer a high 3rd or better, I would go for it and add talent elsewhere.

I know this kid has talent, or else he wouldnt have been projected to go in the 1st round a few years back. If, and I still say IF we keep Freeney when the draft is done, Hughes is still not going to be a starter at OLB.

My question is, when if ever is Hughes gonna get a shot to start? I dont think he's been given much time on the field to do much, and with this new 3-4 defense and coach Pagano motivating him, it should benefit him playing as a DE/OLB hybrid player.

I just would like to see this 1st round pick go unwasted is all Im saying. Thats why I've been a supporter of trading Freeney all this time. He still has trade value and is getting a little older, so if a team gets desperate come draft day and is willing to offer a high 3rd or better, I would go for it and add talent elsewhere.

Either the old regime didn't feel he lived up to his potential, or he just has too much talent in front of him with Freeney and Mathis. New front office and direction, gives him a chance in training camp and preseason to show his worth or go away. Not been impressed with him, but agree he hasn't had much of a chance to show his potential

If he impresses this year, in the limited amount of snaps he will play as a 3-4 OLB, he could be our starter next year if the Colts do not retain Freeney. I say not this year, but he could next year. The only shot he has this year is if one of the starting OLBs get injured.

This is his make or break year. If he doesn't show up this year and produce (or show flashes at the very least), I think he will be gone.

I don't know if he even has the whole year. It may well be that Coach Pagano wants to see him during the offseason and through minicamp/preseason. I suspect we'll know by then if he can transition or not. I hope he can.

This is his make or break year. If he doesn't show up this year and produce (or show flashes at the very least), I think he will be gone. However, he is ideally suited as a 3-4 OLB rather than a 4-3 DE, so he is in the perfect situation.

I read down through here before I posted. I knew we had the same thing to say. If Pagano cannot light the fire...nobody can.

I've wondered if Hughes can be used in the new defense. Time will tell. I am hoping he finds his groove.

He played OLB in a 3-4 at TCU. Should be better standing up than having his hand in the dirt. I'm thinking he's gotta impress in camp and preseason to stay on the team, so good luck to him!

Not sure who projected him as that but ok.

I actually thought when I first joined the forum that he was and OLB because of the projections. Then someone proved me wrong with the same video. I think that is why so many fans that never saw TCU think he was an OLB.

Jerry Hughes has been given plenty of snaps to show us something and the result has been diddly poo. Don't try to blame it on the coaches for not getting him on the field or that he was behind 2 great DEs. He was terrible when he did get in the game and that's why he didn't get in very often.

I, like everyone else, hope he finds the light but I'm not holding my breath.

If we're playing a so-called hybrid, there should be plenty of substitutions. In our previous defense, the only real reason to bring Mathis and Freeney off the field was for running downs, and you're not bringing Hughes in in that case. Neither of them have been injured in the two years he's been on the team, so he really hasn't had any time on the field. And when he has been on the field, he's shown a little bit of promise, but not a lot. And more importantly, he hasn't stood out as a special teamer, where with his size and athleticism he should be a stand-out. He should be a Darrell Reid type of special teams guy, but instead he's the guy who whiffed on Antonio Cromartie in the Jets game in 2009.

I really think he's a better fit at OLB, and I hope he gets some meaningful reps coming up. But seeing as how he's not going to be a starter, he needs to pull him weight on special teams.

My question is, when if ever is Hughes gonna get a shot to start? I dont think he's been given much time on the field to do much, and with this new 3-4 defense, it should benefit him better playing as a DE/OLB hybrid player.

To be fair..we drafted Jerry Hughes after a couple of years when Freeney and Mathis were hurt a lot..

and then (corrcet me if I'm wrong) but Freney and Mathis havent missed a game in 2 years now...

so Jerry has been somewhat unlucyy.,...

but I didnt think he was physically ready for NFL O-linemen as a rookie and maybe he is now...

He'll certainly get a chance now....because our new coaches dont know he cant play

I think this is his chance with the new regime...and the 3-4.

I agree Brent its his chance,he is very suitable for the 3 4 as a linebacker,has all the physical attributes,may have played De in college at the mid major,as a lot of kids do undersize because of his physical capability,he was probably best athlete they had to play that position,

I believe what it will boil down to is how determined Hughes is to get on the field. I see two possibilities: 1.Jerry could move to FB since the Colts need a FB and he played RB in high school. He is a better athlete than Gronkowski and would have a shot at winning that job. 2.He could switch to ILB and compete with Conner and Angerer. He seems to tend to read and react instead of attacking and he is just as athletic as Angerer and Conner while being a litter bigger.

I believe what it will boil down to is how determined Hughes is to get on the field. I see two possibilities: 1.Jerry could move to FB since the Colts need a FB and he played RB in high school. He is a better athlete than Gronkowski and would have a shot at winning that job. 2.He could switch to ILB and compete with Conner and Angerer. He seems to tend to read and react instead of attacking and he is just as athletic as Angerer and Conner while being a litter bigger.

HMMMM! FB ....If he does not attack in a Pagano defense he may not last long. Interesting post!

You know your 1st round picks a failure when... You're talking about moving him from his natural position of DE to FB, because he played RB in high school.

That's funny right thar.

Jerry does not look like a natural at DE. Maybe he is more suited to FB but his college coach needed a DE and switched him to fill a need. He gained over 1400 yards his senior year in high school. I suggested also ILB as an option because it doesn't seem reasonable that he will get a lot of playing time behind Freeney and Mathis.

Not only was he projected to go in the first round, he indeed was drafted in the first round,,

Jerry does not look like a natural at DE. Maybe he is more suited to FB but his college coach needed a DE and switched him to fill a need. He gained over 1400 yards his senior year in high school. I suggested also ILB as an option because it doesn't seem reasonable that he will get a lot of playing time behind Freeney and Mathis.

He played RB in high school... RB, not FB. Oh, yeah and did I mention that it was HIGH SCHOOL?

As for ILB I haven't seen any field awareness or football smarts out of him that tell me he would have any success at ILB and he has shown us, on ST, his inability/unwilligness to tackle.

I agree Brent its his chance,he is very suitable for the 3 4 as a linebacker,has all the physical attributes,may have played De in college at the mid major,as a lot of kids do undersize because of his physical capability,he was probably best athlete they had to play that position,

The 3-4 transition may be the best thing that ever happened to Hughes. Although he didn't play OLB in college, I think he'll be better suited for that spot than Freeney (unfortunately). Whether he'll be able to play the spot at a high level, though, remains to be seen.

Yeah, I don't know why people keep thinking that. He was clearly used as a DE almost exclusively at TCU.

I had not seen him play in college, and ESPN's mock drafts had him projected as a 3/4 OLB. The video clearly shows him hand down. Just stating the facts....

Can I float a brain fart out there...can he play strong safety?

I think Hughes was improperly coached from the start. He was supposed to be next in line for either Mathis or Freeney and that never came to fruition. I say "improperly" coached because Hughes fits as a linebacker, not a defensive end.

With Pagano now in charge, I think Hughes is going to get moved to linebacker as an experiment to see if that is where he really fits. However, on the flip side Hughes has one shot at this. He failed as a defensive end, and if he can't make it as a linebacker I don't see him staying.

Pagano is going to want guys who make plays, wreak havoc and hustle on defense...If Hughes can adapt and contribute, great! If he can't,I don't see him making the final roster.

He'd be a great compliment in the 3-4 to swap with Freeney or Mathis in my opinion. He's fast, athletic, and if given a shot I think he'll do well.

It's all on him though......

Evidently up until now he hasn't impressed anyone with his play so with the new coaches watching he'll have another shot anyway.

That's the thing. New coach, so he is in no one's dog house. New system, one which suits him best. 3rd year in the league, so he knows how everything works. Everything is being set up for him to have a good season. Let's see how he does