Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Couple notes from The One Percent Better podcast


Recommended Posts

Doyle has always been a mixed bag of success to this team and it all comes down to QB play and if he can stay healthy.  With Luck, he just couldn't stay healthy and with JB/PR he just never got the chemistry together which is probably why he didn't end up on IR.  I totally got why they resigned him as our offense was dismal without him but without a dynamic QB lining up under center, Jack Doyle is a waisted asset just like TY.  In comes Wentz, a product of hitting the TE but will Jack Doyle be able to hold up to the work load or will he revert back to the days when he couldn't handle being the every day target?  History has the answers unfortunately.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I've been wanting a dynamic TE for a couple of years now. Doyle is good, but aging...and Mac isn't quick twitch enough. 

Very few true TEs are "quick twitch"

MAC had pretty good separation stats all year.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Very few true TEs are "quick twitch"

MAC had pretty good separation stats all year.

Said he wasn't quick twitch enough, and that is for my likes. I am referring to his ability change direction with his torso and arms to haul in challenging throws. Dallas Clark was outstanding at that. For me, it's more important than separation. He's too stiff most of the time. I love the guy, but he is not dynamic enough to be the main TE. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Said he wasn't quick twitch enough, and that is for my likes. I am referring to his ability change direction with his torso and arms to haul in challenging throws. Dallas Clark was outstanding at that. For me, it's more important than separation. He's too stiff most of the time. I love the guy, but he is not dynamic enough to be the main TE. 

 

Clark wasn't really a true TE to me. Guys like Clark at 6-3, or Burton, etc., are more HB/slot guys than TEs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Hoping they get Tremble

Reich was seen talking to the TE coach at the ND pro day. We need that third round pick back.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich was seen talking to the TE coach at the ND pro day. We need that third round pick back.

Glad the staff finally learned from there mistakes as I said last draft that Chase Claypool and Cole Kmet would be stellar choices but what the hell do I know.  No need to talk to the TE coach but whatever floats there boat.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

Glad the staff finally learned from there mistakes as I said last draft that Chase Claypool and Cole Kmet would be stellar choices but what the hell do I know.  No need to talk to the TE coach but whatever floats there boat.

I'm happy to wait till next year, and draft Michael Mayer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I fortunately, this isn’t a great class of tight ends.   Not sure what we will find if we wait until Day 3?


Very true.  Even day two.  After Pitts the drop off is significant.  There will be FAs with experience that would be just as good or better.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really expecting Ertz to find his way on the team.  If not then Burton will be back I think.  We know he can play.  If they have their eyes on Tremble it will probably require a trade up to get him I believe.  We moved up for Taylor so it could happen sometime during the draft.  So many ways to go.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s cool Doyle will be able to retire a colt. It’s a cool story to play for your home team your entire career. He is always reliable. If they needed ten yards he would get you eleven.  He had the one year with the hip and kidney thing but other then that he has been a very reliable colt. Every team needs a Doyle.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Very few true TEs are "quick twitch"

MAC had pretty good separation stats all year.

I'll never know why we didn't give him more snaps running routes.  At least in the red zone.  It was like Trey Burton got healthy and MAC got dog housed or something.  Burton missed the first month and still had 20 more snaps running routes. Which was weird since he was like, the highest rated TE by PFF standards at one point.  By the end of the season he was still ranked in the top 5, 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

MAC can take over for Doyle as the traditional blocking/possession TE.  He's not the kind of dynamic TE Irsay was talking about a while back.

 

If we don't acquire Ertz for 1 or 2 years, Tremble, McKitty, or Brevin Jordan from UMiami would fit that profile.

 

Since we're a little thin/unstable at the receiver position, acquiring that move TE this year will help Wentz get comfortable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'll never know why we didn't give him more snaps running routes.  At least in the red zone.  It was like Trey Burton got healthy and MAC got dog housed or something.  Burton missed the first month and still had 20 more snaps running routes. Which was weird since he was like, the highest rated TE by PFF standards at one point.  By the end of the season he was still ranked in the top 5, 

He had a knee injury most of the year. Might of been part of the reason. I thought I read it could be a thing that could effect him the the rest of his career. Sounded like something genetic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Kid is a stud. Really need him to stay another year so he and Buchner can get us a Natty.

If he has another good year, IMO he'll be a top 2 TE. I think he'll be a go too this coming season.  I'd love him to stay too, but just can't see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'll never know why we didn't give him more snaps running routes.  At least in the red zone.  It was like Trey Burton got healthy and MAC got dog housed or something.  Burton missed the first month and still had 20 more snaps running routes. Which was weird since he was like, the highest rated TE by PFF standards at one point.  By the end of the season he was still ranked in the top 5, 

IMO, Reich used him another slot since Campbell was out. 

I expect him to get a lot more targets this year.  The guy simply did well at everything, and caught just about everything thrown to him. Only that one bad drop (bounced off his chest). Aside from that, he was a stud. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich was seen talking to the TE coach at the ND pro day. We need that third round pick back.

We will get it as Ballard trades out of 1st round. He picks up LT Jenkins and  and Tremble in the 2nd round with their 1st 2 picks. Could u imagine that Oline and run blocking?? Nasty....nasty and then nasty. I could live with that haul.  Wouldn't have to address the Dend position as out time of possession would be 40 mins a game lol.  Their running game would be scary and old school. Would love it.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tight Ends tend to come from a number of different sources. I would like to see the Colts have a couple of developmental guys this year who are just great athletes and can learn. If they draft one, it needs to be someone who falls for some reason, but is a great value. I doubt if this will be a first or second round pick. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 9:24 AM, Wentzszn said:

I wonder if maybe Cox can have a better season with Wentz as the QB. We will see. He needs to get Cox those 50/50 balls.

MAC was extremely productive whenever called on. IMO Reich used Burton too much. Probably because we were lacking a traditional slot when Campbell went down.

 

I loved MAC's usage and productivity on intermediate routes. That MN game was phenomenal. Not sure why Reich never went back to those routes. 

 

I think he'll be crazy good on 50/50.

 

So in short, I think it's all up to Reich.... Hoping nonetheless he and Wentz develop some great chemistry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 12:48 AM, BornHoosier said:

Wentz is a TE qb, do we want to waste another year waiting for all the pieces to fall in place?

In the NFL all the pieces will never fall in place.  All teams have holes.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 12:38 AM, BornHoosier said:

Glad the staff finally learned from there mistakes as I said last draft that Chase Claypool and Cole Kmet would be stellar choices but what the hell do I know.  No need to talk to the TE coach but whatever floats there boat.

You know who else were good picks?  Pittman and Taylor.  The guys they used their seconds on.  You’d have to give them up.  
 

I liked claypool and kmet coming out of school too but I am not exactly disappointed with the guys the Colts did draft instead and wouldn’t call drafting them mistakes.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 11:48 PM, BornHoosier said:

Wentz is a TE qb, do we want to waste another year waiting for all the pieces to fall in place?

Historically, you can find TEs in the mid to lower rounds. The hype on Pitts may be warranted but I remember how people talked about OJ Howard like he'd come into the league and be the next Gronk or Calvin J. Today, the top 3 TEs in the league are:

1]Travis Kelce. Drafted before him in 2013? Eifert, Ertz, Escobar, Vance Mac. Kelce was a 3rd rounder. 

2] Darren Waller. He was drafted as a WR by the Ravens. 14 TEs went before him including the Irish dynamos O'Shaugnessy and O'Leary. Waller was picked in the 6th round.

3] George Kittle. 8 guys picked before him inc. the supposed future HoF OJ Howard. Kittle was a 6th rounder.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 11:08 PM, Wentzszn said:

Ballard will talk to the media Friday.

 

Stephen Holder said he heard Doyle is going to retire after this year. We really need a younger TE.

Check out my "Final April Mock" in the Draft section.  I have us taking Baby Gronk Friermuth at 54.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Historically, you can find TEs in the mid to lower rounds. The hype on Pitts may be warranted but I remember how people talked about OJ Howard like he'd come into the league and be the next Gronk or Calvin J. Today, the top 3 TEs in the league are:

1]Travis Kelce. Drafted before him in 2013? Eifert, Ertz, Escobar, Vance Mac. Kelce was a 3rd rounder. 

2] Darren Waller. He was drafted as a WR by the Ravens. 14 TEs went before him including the Irish dynamos O'Shaugnessy and O'Leary. Waller was picked in the 6th round.

3] George Kittle. 8 guys picked before him inc. the supposed future HoF OJ Howard. Kittle was a 6th rounder.

 

 

Howard has been good, just a lot of injuries. 

 

Kelce likely dropped a bit due to the drug suspension in Cinci.

 

Waller was a WR in college, and came from wishbone O, so it's understandable he wasn't taken early. It also took a "journey" to find the spot he's currently in.

 

Kittle had low production in college.

 

As far as Pitts though, he'll be very good. He's more jumbo WR than TE. He needs to be used the right way though.

 

I do agree TEs can be found later in the draft. Small school underrated guys, jumbo WR conversions, guys from schools that simply don't use TEs a lot in the passing game, TEs who simply had bad QBs and suffered, etc.. TE use across the board varies a lot in college. It's one reason the position is a bit devalued along with so many guys coming from later rounds or even UDFAs. Heck, both our starters are UDFAs.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 9:40 PM, BornHoosier said:

Doyle has always been a mixed bag of success to this team and it all comes down to QB play and if he can stay healthy.  With Luck, he just couldn't stay healthy and with JB/PR he just never got the chemistry together which is probably why he didn't end up on IR.  I totally got why they resigned him as our offense was dismal without him but without a dynamic QB lining up under center, Jack Doyle is a waisted asset just like TY.  In comes Wentz, a product of hitting the TE but will Jack Doyle be able to hold up to the work load or will he revert back to the days when he couldn't handle being the every day target?  History has the answers unfortunately.  

Wouldn't surprise if they went OT and TE with 1st 2 picks

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

We need to give Patmon a shot at TE.

Nah. The bag on Patmon is that he doesn't play to his 6-4 size when playing WR. You can't have that TE.

Here's his NFL prospect profile. It's pretty consistent across the other grades. His coach even echoed the sentiment about not playing to his size.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dezmon-patmon/32005041-5416-2967-3c9d-d58aabb33560

 

Maybe if he gets a nastiness transfusion from Q, and picks up 20 lbs. 

 

In short, if he's stuck behind Pittman at X (and he is), I'd love to see him and Pittman on the field at the same time as X and big slot. Or maybe even give Patmon a shot at situational big-Z given his build up speed of 4.48. Reich has tried to turn speed/Z guys into possession guys, maybe he'll try to turn a possession guy into a speed/z guy this time lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Listen don’t forget big grove I the mix to he played some good football for us , like I can see us have like a nascar package if the two de pan out , since they both can play inside and out 
    • huh? Mack is the best zone runner we have by far. Wilkins isn't bad. Taylor really struggled, especially early. He was better late, but he's still not on the level as Mack was. Keep in mind Taylor ran a ton of power at Wiscy.
    • I voted Patmon and Harris, 6, and yes (Campbell will at least play some outside).   I don't see us keeping more than 2 bigs given Pascal's history playing X and big-slot, and Patmon gets the edge on being the second big since he's been here a year already, and has already played pitch and catch a bit with Wentz. Wouldn't shock me though if Strachan beat him out. I chose Harris because I think he provides some upside that Dulin doesn't has. And since Rodgers had a lot of success in the return game, Dulin's STs play may not be as in-need as it was last year.    I think we keep 6, but wouldn't be shocked to see us carry 7 early. I think Campbell's health and how he looks will impact that decision.    On Z/slot, and Campbell moving outside, both CB and FR mentioned that was the plan (Campbell to gradually work outside) when they drafted him. Given his injury luck, moving him out of slot sooner than later might be the plan. The fact TY's time is nearing an end, they need to find that answer anyway.
    • With most inside running in zone, you're still talking split second decisions, and their stated goal was to turn Mack and Wilkins into more decisive runners between the tackles.  Mack still reads and hesitates more Taylor or Wilkins, but he's much more decisive than he was when he entered the league.    
    • Listed by height Assumed 53 locks in blue   Name / Height / Weight / 40 Time Mike Strachan 6-5 / 224 / 4.54 Michael Pittman 6-4 / 223 / 4.52 (Starting X) Dezmon Patmon 6-4 / 225 / 4.48 Tarik Black 6-3 / 213 / 4.54 Zach Pascal 6-2 / 214 / 4.55 (4th WR, X backup, will play big-slot too) Tyler Vaughns 6-2 / 184 / 4.69 (4.62 also reported) Ashton Dulin 6-1 / 215 / 4.43 Gary Jennings 6-1 / 216 / 4.43 Quartney Davis 6-1 / 200 / 5.54 Parris Campbell 6-0 / 208 / 4.31 (Starting slot, move to Z this year?) JJ Nelson 5-10 / 160 / 4.28 TY Hilton 5-10 / 183 /  4.34 (Starting Z, move to slot this year?) DeMichael Harris 5-8 / 178 / 4.37   RAS (could not find Nelson or Harris)                           
  • Members

    • C_Lew

      C_Lew 7

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • krunk

      krunk 4,363

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coming on strong

      coming on strong 1,197

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 10,241

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • danlhart87

      danlhart87 9,243

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Introspect

      Introspect 196

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solid84

      Solid84 33

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Grewich

      Grewich 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • conklincolt

      conklincolt 33

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bWild

      bWild 25

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...