Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts first team meeting - video

Dogg63

Excellent opening message from Frank.

We have built a strong core. Everyone on this call has elite physical traits. I've been to 6 super bowls, and I know that at this level, 90% of it is mental. Let's get this done!

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

Excellent opening message from Frank.

We have built a strong core. Everyone on this call has elite physical traits. I've been to 6 super bowls, and I know that at this level, 90% of it is mental. Let's get this done!

tenor.gif

Every time I hear Reich speak I think about how lucky we are to have gotten him. I remember it like it was yesterday when my son called and asked what I thought about Josh McDaniel. I told him I liked the hire. I then found out what he was really asking about was my thought of him backing out. I was definitely not a happy camper. A few choice words were definitely directed towards McDaniel. I truly am thankful that it happened because I really do think Reich is one of the best coaches in the league. I know he is one of if not one of the best men in the league. Truly a great guy. I will admit I wish he wasn't such a risk taker with his play calling some times, but that's who he is.

Frabk has been to 6 SBs and thats big for experience. I think its worth it to stick things out with him until he gets better. Coaches take longer to develop into elite level status vs a player imo. He messes up sometimes but I think they are growing pains. We will see what the season shows. 

8 hours ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

I know he is one of if not one of the best men in the league. Truly a great guy. I will admit I wish he wasn't such a risk taker with his play calling some times, but that's who he is.

I don't think if you used the word "world" instead of "league" many people would have disagreed with you. ..... I know I wouldn't have.

2 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Talk is cool... Frank is a leader but that needs to start showing in the winning column and making it further in the playoffs..

Every year he had a capable QB he has made the playoffs and won ten and eleven games.  Reich needs stability at the QB position and a little more on game flow. Hopefully he has the QB now. He is a excellent coach.

On 4/20/2021 at 4:34 PM, WentzinRome said:

Thanks for the link!  It quickly reminded me of an old Berraism...

Yogi Berra’s famous quotes: ‘Baseball is 90 per cent mental. The other half is physical’.

Yes, LOL !! I always remember it as "Ninety percent of the game is half mental." though. :) As my wife says - 'same thing, only different'.

Josh McDaniels is a great OC (really not sure about HC or as a person of integrity), but I'd much rather have Reich as HC (or even OC) over him. Colts were lucky to land him when JD backed out. I love the back story to the Frank Reich hire as well.

"When seven NFL jobs came open by the end of Black Monday, the day after the 2017 regular season ended, Frank Reich called his agent with specific instructions. Leave me alone. “Going dark,” is the way Reich described it."

Unlike McDaniels, unlike Matt Patricia of the Patriots, unlike Pat Shurmur of the Vikings – unlike even another Eagles assistant, quarterback coach John DeFilippo – Reich told his agent-

“I'm focused on the task at hand,” he said. “That’s to help our team win playoff games and the Super Bowl. That meant no phone calls, no texts. Whether there was any activity or not (from interested teams calling), I was dark.”

When McDaniels backed out of the job here in Indianapolis and Reich had just won his Super Bowl Ring, this is what Reich wanted his agent to do: "Nothing. Don’t call the Colts. Don’t text them. Don’t even butt-dial them (LOL)." But he really hoped the Colts would call him.

Meanwhile, Bill Polian, who has very close ties to both Irsay and Reich, heard of the JMcD news. He called up Jim Irsay. He said the answer to his dilemma is right there in front of him over in Philadelphia. Irsay then asked Polian to call Chris Ballard. Despite not even being on Ballard’s original top list of coaching candidates, Reich blew him away in a 10 hour interview. Once the other scheduled interviews with Dan Campbell and Leslie Frazier had wrapped up, the Colts knew. Frank Reich was their guy.

“I thought after I got done interviewing him, ‘My lord, what was I thinking?’” {not considering him in the first place} Ballard later admitted. Even Irsay acknowledged the Colts initially whiffed on not looking into Reich. “The more I think, ‘Jim, How come you are so stupid? How could you not have seen the clarity in this sooner.”

So even as the ex Colts GM, Bill Polian was still instrumental in the Colts/Reich head coach hiring. And I'm pleased with it.

Archived