Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Change 1 thing about Colts history


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Also while your at it, bring back a plan on how to advance against the Pat's..  and don't let Kraft & Belichek get their hands on the time machine. :funny:

I'd actually go back and sabotage Mora's hire, leading to the Colts hiring BB in 98, 2 years before he takes the Pats job.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They stay in Baltimore so i’d only be an hour and a half away and could attend every game.

Brandon Burlsworth's car accident......kid worked so hard to come so far and was the type of player and person who fits the franchise perfectly. I have zero doubt he would have helped anchor the O Lin

Super Bowl 3 loss to Jets

Posted Images

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The way he played football and snowboarding was the way he rolled.

 

I know, and that's what endeared him to a lot of fans.  I'm not saying he would have changed his nature under Ballard/Reich.  I'm saying they would have managed/coached him better, like they did in '18.  His nature would still come out in key moments, like that Superman dive he did in the playoff win against KC, or like the Elway helicopter run.  It just wouldn't be necessary on every frickin 3rd down, or every frickin play inside the redzone.

 

If Luck had been introduced to this kind of system from the get-go (like, I don't know, the previous system with Manning...), I don't think Luck would have taken nearly as many hits because he would have been getting the ball out quickly, whether pass or run, like Manning was doing up until that point.  He wouldn't have had to play hero-ball in almost every single game.

 

If only Luck had that kind of management/coaching from Day 1... but unfortunately, Irsay got obsessed with one facet of the Pats because they used it on the Colts repeatedly... run the ball with a power running scheme, and play aggressive defense with a big 3-4 bully defense.  So Irsay abandoned what had been working, completely flipped the front office, the scheme, and the roster, then ran a generational QB into the ground during a rebuild that never came to fruition, and now we're right back where we were a decade ago.

 

Maybe Ballard and Reich weren't ready in 2011 to be the GM and HC that they are today, but man... if Luck had Ballard and Reich taking the reins from Polian and Caldwell... keeping the same sort of systems in place on offense and defense and continually upgrading the roster the way Ballard has done so far (especially the OLine)...  If there was a way to align all of this up differently, so that TODAY we could be talking about how many MORE :lombardi: Luck was going to bring to Indy...

 

200.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Also while your at it, bring back a plan on how to advance against the Pat's..  and don't let Kraft & Belichek get their hands on the time machine. :funny:

 

 

I think it was a Onion interview with Archie Manning where he said a man wearing a hoodie drove up to him in a strange stainless steel car shortly after Cooper was born, The man insisted he that Archie get a vasectomy at once, and he would gladly pay for it.

Couldn't find it to post a link.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 6:48 AM, indyagent17 said:

Garcon catches the third and 10 ball and goes for 16 yards. The colts score and the game changes and the Colts win.

 

Little known play that changed the complexion of the game, He didn't follow the ball into his hands and was looking upfield and he was wide open

 

2nd place, Carnell Lake doesnt shoestring tackle Lamont Warren in the 4th quarter of the AFCCG

 

 

I probably thought about those 2 plays for years and years after they happened . Both games are IMO over if made. We had another chance in the Pitt game when Coryatte couldn't hang on to the easy interception on Pitts game winning drive.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have not fired polian and Caldwell after the first bad season,  let Peyton have Andrew under his wing for 2 or 3 years and let polian retire under his own power then hire Chris Ballard. I believe to this day we would still have Jim Caldwell as our head coach and Andrew luck as our quarterback. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

'95 AFC Championship - Bailey catches hail mary

'05 Playoffs - Nick Harper doesn't get stabbed in the leg by his wife and takes the fumble to the house.

Picture it

 

The year is 2167 (notice im using same year) your new mission is doozy. you must call nick harper about a secret team meeting make sure he has zero communication between him and his wife. 

 

He runs it back and we win SB against Seahawks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t get me wrong I love that the Colts are named the Colts, but I always thought it would’ve been cool if when they first moved to Indy they named themselves after something to do with cars or something. I understand why they didn’t, but still. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoosierHero said:

Don’t get me wrong I love that the Colts are named the Colts, but I always thought it would’ve been cool if when they first moved to Indy they named themselves after something to do with cars or something. I understand why they didn’t, but still. 

Little Red Corvettes?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2021 at 9:05 PM, HoosierHero said:

Don’t get me wrong I love that the Colts are named the Colts, but I always thought it would’ve been cool if when they first moved to Indy they named themselves after something to do with cars or something. I understand why they didn’t, but still. 

 

The Pistons would have been a cool name if it wasn't already an NBA team. Could have had like some crossed pistons on the helmet or something cool like that. Also could have kept the Blue and White color scheme and done Cunningham Racing stripes down the middle of the helmet.

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 2:44 AM, danlhart87 said:

Saw this on Reddit and thought it was interesting 

 

Mine would be 2005 AFC Divisional Round loss to Steelers 

 

That loss still kills me...

I'm honestly a bit surprised how many folks on here have mentioned this game over The 95 AFCCG and SB 44. My Uncle would not speak to me for a month after that game as I am still a Pittsburgh fan and have different feelings about it. Don't forget you guys also fired Vanderjagt after that game and replaced him with Vinateri. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drafting Tom Brady in the 5th round in 2000.

 

He sits behind Manning and gains a reputation as a really solid backup before moving on to start for some random team and coming into its own much later, maybe 06-07.  This gives us a much better chance to get to the Superbowl while the team was at the peak of the Manning years.  Maybe Brady even sticks around and takes over after Manning in 2011, becoming a surprise late bloomer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

I'm honestly a bit surprised how many folks on here have mentioned this game over The 95 AFCCG and SB 44. My Uncle would not speak to me for a month after that game as I am still a Pittsburgh fan and have different feelings about it. Don't forget you guys also fired Vanderjagt after that game and replaced him with Vinateri. 

It took me a long time to get over that game.  Actually, I’m not sure I am over it yet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bert Jones not getting slammed onto the Arrowhead stadium floor. 15 to 16 years of him at QB would have either kept them in Baltimore or he would have been fun to watch in the hoosier dome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish the Colts had beaten the Saints in the SB.   That alone would remove any negative views of having won “only one” SB.  Being able to say with pride that your favorite team has won multiple Super Bowls would forever lessen the sting that exists here today of being only a one-time winner.

 

Even for me, a Colts fan originally because of Andrew Luck, that would be a bigger deal than if Luck had enjoyed a 12-15 year career here. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, nick Harper cuts the other way, Bailey catches it, basket holds on to the ball, the redskins don’t try to rip Peyton Manning’s head off, draft Tom Brady so no one ever hears of him and the evil empire is never born, hire Ballard rather than Grigson, not trade for Jeff George...  A lot of options and that’s just in the Indy days.  There is also a strong case to be made for make a trade and draft Marino rather than Elway.  
 

I am honestly not sure which one I would pick I am just glad not draft Ryan leaf isn’t an option.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wish the Colts had beaten the Saints in the SB.   That alone would remove any negative views of having won “only one” SB.  Being able to say with pride that your favorite team has won multiple Super Bowls would forever lessen the sting that exists here today of being only a one-time winner.

 

Even for me, a Colts fan originally because of Andrew Luck, that would be a bigger deal than if Luck had enjoyed a 12-15 year career here. 

History lesson for you. The Colts have won 2 Super Bowls and have lost 2 Super Bowls. You need to bone up on Colts history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

History lesson for you. The Colts have won 2 Super Bowls and have lost 2 Super Bowls. You need to bone up on Colts history.

The only one comment might be referencing the fact that Manning only won 1

 

I'm probably wrong though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The only one comment might be referencing the fact that Manning only won 1

 

I'm probably wrong though 

You are right he was clearly talking about the Colts being knocked for only winning one Super Bowl in the Manning era not franchise history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

History lesson for you. The Colts have won 2 Super Bowls and have lost 2 Super Bowls. You need to bone up on Colts history.

I am pretty sure he meant Manning's Colts only winning 1 SB. Had we beat the Saints that core team and his resume would look better, it didn't end well. Having said that it was still a great ride from 2003-2009 going 89-23 with a SB win right in the middle of that run in 2006. We just didn't close the decade out like we should've. Manning also won 4 League MVP's during that 7 year run = 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2009.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

History lesson for you. The Colts have won 2 Super Bowls and have lost 2 Super Bowls. You need to bone up on Colts history.

I’m talking about INDIANAPOLIS Colts history. 
 

And you know it.        :thmdown:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am pretty sure he meant Manning's Colts only winning 1 SB. Had we beat the Saints that core team and his resume would look better, it didn't end well. Having said that it was still a great ride from 2003-2009 going 89-23 with a SB win right in the middle of that run in 2006. We just didn't close the decade out like we should've. Manning also won 4 League MVP's during that 7 year run = 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2009.

I will add to this, to the people that say Manning accomplished just as much in Denver in 4 seasons than he did in Indy is completely false. He went to 2 SB's and won 1 with each franchise but in Indy he won 4 League MVP's and a SB MVP, in Denver he only won 1 League MVP and in his SB win, Von Miller won SB MVP. So what he accomplished in Indy skunks what he done in Denver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will add to this, to the people that say Manning accomplished just as much in Denver in 4 seasons than he did in Indy is completely false. He went to 2 SB's and won 1 with each franchise but in Indy he won 4 League MVP's and a SB MVP, in Denver he only won 1 League MVP and in his SB win, Von Miller won SB MVP. So what he accomplished in Indy skunks what he done in Denver.

Eh... yeah and but..

 

Look I didn't really root for Denver while he was there, but 55 TD season, 2 SB appearances, it's not hard to see why the generality that it was roughly equivalent exists given that it took 4 years to amass that pile of data points.

 

I like Luck and rooted hard for him, but it's always going to be a part of the story that the Colts moved on from our MJ too soon and then Luck didn't hit any of the data points that make Manning's time in Denver notable. 

 

Broadly speaking (and not that it overly matters) but with hindsight being 20/20, I'm prepared to say it now... oops. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Eh... yeah and but..

 

Look I didn't really root for Denver while he was there, but 55 TD season, 2 SB appearances, it's not hard to see why the generality that it was roughly equivalent exists given that it took 4 years to amass that pile of data points.

 

I like Luck and rooted hard for him, but it's always going to be a part of the story that the Colts moved on from our MJ too soon and then Luck didn't hit any of the data points that make Manning's time in Denver notable. 

 

Broadly speaking (and not that it overly matters) but with hindsight being 20/20, I'm prepared to say it now... oops. 

Manning still had a better career in Indy. When he won his SB in Denver he was out of gas but had just enough to not make any big mistakes and let his defense do their thing. He carried Indy for 13 seasons, in Denver he had 1 great season in reality that was in 2013 with the 55 TD's and 5477 yards. In 2004 he had 49 TD's and nearly 5000 yards and less INT's than he had in 2013. 

 

Hindsight - Yeah we could've kept our MJ and traded a bunch of picks for that #1 which was Luck. Having said that going into 2012 we had an aging team and a bad O.Line. I am not sure Grigson could've got the help Peyton needed to win another SB? Grigson wasn't great at drafting. At the time when we let Peyton walk and drafted Luck it was simply the right move, a move I would've made anyway. Luck still gave us 3 very good to great seasons right out of the box and we beat Denver in the 2014 playoffs. In Denver, Peyton had a team ready to win, we were in rebuild mode in 2012.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Manning still had a better career in Indy. When he won his SB in Denver he was out of gas but had just enough to not make any big mistakes and let his defense do their thing. He carried Indy for 13 seasons, in Denver he had 1 great season in reality that was in 2013 with the 55 TD's and 5477 yards. In 2004 he had 49 TD's and nearly 5000 yards and less INT's than he had in 2013. 

 

Hindsight - Yeah we could've kept our MJ and traded a bunch of picks for that #1 which was Luck. Having said that going into 2012 we had an aging team and a bad O.Line. I am not sure Grigson could've got the help Peyton needed to win another SB? Grigson wasn't great at drafting. At the time when we let Peyton walk and drafted Luck it was simply the right move, a move I would've made anyway. Luck still gave us 3 very good to great seasons right out of the box and we beat Denver in the 2014 playoffs. In Denver, Peyton had a team ready to win, we were in rebuild mode in 2012.

I stand corrected he threw 10 INT's in both 2004 and 2013 but the same amount anyway but you guys get my overall point. I was thinking he only threw 9 in 2004 for some reason. I just looked it up. Anyway, Denver's defense in 2015 was one of the best I have ever seen, it wasn't the 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears but arguably top 5. Colts defense wasn't anywhere near as good in that timeframe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 2:44 AM, danlhart87 said:

Saw this on Reddit and thought it was interesting 

 

Mine would be 2005 AFC Divisional Round loss to Steelers 

 

That loss still kills me...

 

This can be anything btw

A game

A player

An injury

A preferred draftee

Hire Ballard instead of Grigson, Keep Peyton, trade the number 1 pick for a HUGE haul. Stock up on D and roll. (Yes I realize there was a cap issue as well)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • You have to NOT Believe in getting better, and try as i might i can't get the Bracket comparison. Bracket became pretty decent against the run but his height/length was a weakness dropping in coverage.  Oke seems the opposite. As of today.  Some think he has a brain and that experience should benefit him in all areas of his game. This should be a really good learning year for him.
    • Positions that are clear (real and perceived) QB1, X-WR, RB1, APB, RT, RG, C, LG, 3T, NT, CB1 (Rhodes), NB (Moore), WILL, TE1 and TE2.   The rest, have some element of fog (real or perceived) IMO.   Offense QB2 - If Eason is clearly #2, not sure whey we waste a draft pick on another QB. I didn't get it then, and not now lol. Z - Hilton his aging. Pretty clear the plan when drafting Campbell was that he would gradually work outside. Slot - PC is the obvious guy if healthy, but if he is healthy, and they start moving him outside, we still have questions.  LT - Fisher is clear if he returns to form. If not, a lot of fog. TE3 - Granson is a wildcard but assuming they want to use him as a move-slot-TE like they tried to use Burton. Not really a true TE   Defense L and RDE - time share here. There are several rotations I can see here, and likely won't be set early. MIKE - Oke is the clear leader, but there will be a lot of eyes on his run D. A time share here would not shock me. SAM - we don't use it a lot, so who knows. I could even see Oke playing SAM and Franklin handling MIKE on those SAM downs. LB Depth - who knows. Will we ever see Speed emerge? CB2 and CB Detph - RYS vs Carrie vs Tell vs Rogers. Nothing would surprise me. FS - Blackmon needs to take a big step forward in deep coverage. If not, I could see a rotation here. SS - Willis is very solid, but I could see him getting pushed by Shawn Davis.  
    • I think the QB position is a little unique in terms of depth expectation and planning.  And it depends on your expectations of the team.  See below in my response to CR91 for more.   Not sure I understand. How was letting Walker go an "answer".      Couple points here...  Hoyer's loss vs Miami was 99% on Reich. After Hoyer played pretty well vs Pitt (coming in cold) in which he had 3 TDs / 1 INT and completed 65% of passes, Reich chose to 1) not practice Hoyer with the 1s leading up to the Miami game, and 2) chose to throw it all over the school yard (around 40 attempts) vs a team that was horrible vs the run. Just super bad game plan and prep. I agree that a pricey vet QB, or spending much on a backup QB in general is pretty much a waste. That is, unless you are a true SB contender going into the year (and can afford it). I've always felt if your starting QB goes down for the year, might as well accept things and embrace a higher draft pick come next draft. It's extremely rare to go deep with a backup. Even Foles wasn't seen as a high end backup. He was just off a cheap one year deal, and was contemplating retirement. He came back to Philly for a moderate deal, which most thought was even too much. That was purely luck. Just my opinion, but I like riding out Eason and trying to develop him along the way. And trade him (if he's not in contention for starting job) later if you can get picks, or keep him if he's decent and cheap. I, like you, like what the Pats do most years.
  • Members

    • ColtsBlueFL

      ColtsBlueFL 4,655

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BlackTiger

      BlackTiger 156

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 5,502

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • The Fish

      The Fish 1,261

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 10,828

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cgi4life

      cgi4life 74

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • life long

      life long 238

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dogg63

      Dogg63 2,317

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Fisticuffs111

      Fisticuffs111 2,009

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • legend300

      legend300 64

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...