Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jared's 1st 2021 Colts Mock Draft with no trades

This is my 1st attempt at one of these so far, and I have little information right now, but I'll try and do the best I can. Hoping to crank out 3 of these by the time the draft begins on the 29th.

Round 1.) Kwity Paye, EDGE, Michigan- I realize we need a LT very badly. However, I believe Darrisaw will go before 21, and Teven Jenkins is more of a RT than a LT. That's why we choose Paye in the 1st. He is by far the best EDGE in the class to me, fits the scheme from what I've seen, and can start immediately on a team that is extremely weak at the position after missing out on re-signing Autry and possibly Houston. 

Round 2.) Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame- He may or may not fall to us in the 2nd round, but there will be a OT or two that does fall, and I'll assume for the sake of this mock draft, that he's the guy who falls to us. Eichenberg is solid at everything, just not great. He reminds me of Anthony Costanzo and I think he can start right away for us at LT. This would solidify the line for a long time after we paid Braden and Quenton.

Round 4.) Monty Rice, ILB, Georgia- I haven't studied him a lot yet, but I think he'd make a very good Anthony Walker replacement in the LBer group. EJ Speed and Glasgow aren't good enough to start behind Okereke IMO or start if he goes down due to injury, so that's where Monty Rice comes in.

Round 5.) Bobby Brown, DT, Texas A&M- Excellent run defender that plays well in a 4-3 defense. Very solid scheme fit that can possibly get playing time on running downs. Only downside is he's not a 3 down player, but with Buckner and Grover starting, it really shouldn't matter.

Round 6.) Rachad Wildgoose, CB, Wisconsin- He is more of a slot corner than anything else, but he can play any scheme. Only played two games last year due to injury, but that's why he fell. Very intelligent player that has room to improve, and with Rhodes and Carrie under 1 year contracts, they'll be no pressure during his first year for him.

Round 7.) Dax Milne, WR, BYU- Dax can play in any scheme and can also play special teams. Solid route runner who can catch the ball. He's very quick and can make big plays.

Let me know what you think below!

I like it, I would be happy if we could pull this off

The first 2 would be great candidates for immediate starting reps

I hope Paye makes it to us

You also addressed ILB spot, which I think will be important

Are you good with our current TE position?

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like it, I would be happy if we could pull this off

The first 2 would be great candidates for immediate starting reps

I hope Paye makes it to us

You also addressed ILB spot, which I think will be important

Are you good with our current TE position?

For the sake of this mock, and no trade-downs, I'm assuming that Ballard is still waiting on Ertz to be released. It may happen before or after the draft, but when it happens, I believe we pounce and get him for a decent price to come here and be with Wentz this year.

20 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

For the sake of this mock, and no trade-downs, I'm assuming that Ballard is still waiting on Ertz to be released. It may happen before or after the draft, but when it happens, I believe we pounce and get him for a decent price to come here and be with Wentz this year.

I also think that happens eventually. Although if they get Tremble in the draft they might be less interested in Ertz...

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I also think that happens eventually. Although if they get Tremble in the draft they might be less interested in Ertz...

You mentioned Tremble in a PM earlier... I've watched a bit of him since then and I'm VERY intrigued. There are some shades of Kittle coming out of the draft. Do you remember Kittle? I really liked him back then, because he was an excellent blocker in college AND he had crazy high YAC even if his total receiving numbers were not great. Both of their teams didn't utilize TEs much(with Tremble it might have been because Book was short and didn't see the field very well down the middle + Tremble was just unleashed as a blocker on designed runs/screen plays so often... he was like... "move FB" on a lot of those... he would move before and after the snap but not with the design of receiving the ball but rather with the purpose of blocking for a receiver or a runner, thus creating blocking advantage with his moves). Both of them tested very athletic at the combine. Tremble doesn't quite have the YAC and YPC Kittle had in college, but I still think there is untapped potential in his receiving game. I also love how he was utilized as a FB in some situations. We've done some similar things with some of our TEs before(Ryan Hewitt I think), but they were not as talented as Tremble I think.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

That's true to an extent. Although Tremble is much more of a blocking TE. He'd be the eventual replacement for Doyle IMO, while Ertz would be a primary receiving TE. Not sure they would necessarily cancel each other out. The only issue is we'd have 4 TE's on the roster that we'd almost have to keep, and in that situation it'd be a bit hard to dump Doyle's contract. 

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

You mentioned Tremble in a PM earlier... I've watched a bit of him since then and I'm VERY intrigued. There are some shades of Kittle coming out of the draft. Do you remember Kittle? I really liked him back then, because he was an excellent blocker in college AND he had crazy high YAC even if his total receiving numbers were not great. Both of their teams didn't utilize TEs much(with Tremble it might have been because Book was short and didn't see the field very well down the middle + Tremble was just unleashed as a blocker on designed runs/screen plays so often... he was like... "move FB" on a lot of those... he would move before and after the snap but not with the design of receiving the ball but rather with the purpose of blocking for a receiver or a runner, thus creating blocking advantage with his moves). Both of them tested very athletic at the combine. Tremble doesn't quite have the YAC and YPC Kittle had in college, but I still think there is untapped potential in his receiving game. I also love how he was utilized as a FB in some situations. We've done some similar things with some of our TEs before(Ryan Hewitt I think), but they were not as talented as Tremble I think.

I think a report said that Reich was at ND's pro day, and spent a lot of time talking to their TEs coach. So if that's true, there's a link to be considered, besides the obvious Indiana/Nelson link. Lichtenburg is the other link to look out for.

Kittle is the obvious comp. He didn't light the world on fire in college, but he seemed to have some raw, untapped ability as a versatile TE, plus the excellent blocking skills. Their workouts and measurements are almost identical. I think maybe Tremble moves a little better, but that's off memory of Kittle coming out. I haven't watched a lot of TEs this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tremble goes higher than expected.

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's true to an extent. Although Tremble is much more of a blocking TE. He'd be the eventual replacement for Doyle IMO, while Ertz would be a primary receiving TE. Not sure they would necessarily cancel each other out. The only issue is we'd have 4 TE's on the roster that we'd almost have to keep, and in that situation it'd be a bit hard to dump Doyle's contract. 

I think they've kept four TEs before, but yeah that's the concern. Ertz and Doyle are basically on the decline, but I assume that if we signed Ertz we would not be getting rid of Doyle or MAC, so you have three TEs basically locked in, barring injury. I'd still take Tremble, but I don't see anything happening with Ertz before the draft, so if we already had Tremble I wonder if we'd still make a move for Ertz. He'd probably be able to get more money from another team.

17 hours ago, stitches said:

Tremble has been one of my early favorites

I saw one of the commentators mention the other day, that Tremble has had issues with drops

The little games I have watched, they didnt throw much to him...... is this an issue?

Archived