Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign CB TJ Carrie (MERGE)

JediXMan

• Shive changed the title to Colts re-sign CB TJ Carrie (MERGE)
5 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Pressure is on Rock Ya-Sin this season. T.J. Carrie took a lot of his snaps down the stretch.

I agree the pressure is on RYS. 

I really wouldn't say Carrie "took" his snaps though. 

Two things. Carrie earned rotational snaps. Also don't forget RYS had 2 concussions (one very early season, one very late season) and also had that mysterious illness (some speculated an appendicitis) later in the season too which called for surgery. RYS came back quickly, but his snaps were a bit limited when he did get back.

Also, Moore played outside about 10-15% of the time too, and when he did, Carrie was NB. 

Overall, it was a weird year for RYS. He played man better than zone in 19, but some reviews said he played better zone than man in 20. We've been tweaking the scheme, and IMO it impacted several DBs (and LBs) in 20 (some positively, some negatively)

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Gives us 6 CB's and I think Rodgers is a keeper . I'm guessing unless Ballard see a whole lot of value , he might not draft a CB this year.

I agree we might not take one at all. Still though, CB1/Rhodes will need to be solved long term at some point. Given we won't have a #1 (likely) next year, I hope they have a good strategy. 

Rodgers is a keeper, but doubt he has a CB1 ceiling at his size. Tell is a wildcard but I don't see CB1 in his future either. 

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree we might not take one at all. Still though, CB1/Rhodes will need to be solved long term at some point. Given we won't have a #1 (likely) next year, I hope they have a good strategy. 

Rodgers is a keeper, but doubt he has a CB1 ceiling at his size. Tell is a wildcard but I don't see CB1 in his future either. 

good point

6 hours ago, dw49 said:

Gives us 6 CB's and I think Rodgers is a keeper . I'm guessing unless Ballard see a whole lot of value , he might not draft a CB this year.

Maybe.....

I thought Carrie played decent football......  Glad he is back

IMHO, I think we SHOULD add at least ONE DB every year, as good practice..... Special teams have heavy use of these newbies coming in

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

I still wouldn't mind a trade down in the 1st and getting Greg Newsome who Ballard has shown interest in, or getting someone like Tyson Campbell in the late 2nd early 3rd round range. 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I keep thinking that we have filled CB1 with FA Rhodes for two years now.  It seems like there are a lot of CB's who are FA's every year.  FA seems to be working at that position for us.  Carrie too for that matter.  Not saying we shouldn't draft one but the need to draft one high might not be that urgent until we have LT and ER addressed.  

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I keep thinking that we have filled CB1 with FA Rhodes for two years now.  It seems like there are a lot of CB's who are FA's every year.  FA seems to be working at that position for us.  Carrie too for that matter.  Not saying we shouldn't draft one but the need to draft one high might not be that urgent until we have LT and ER addressed.  

Yep. Add that to Ballard is not very good at drafting corners. I am almost ok signing vets at this position every couple of years. Maybe Tell  will eventually take that spot. It’s really too bad he decided to take last season off. With the way Rock struggled he might of really got the chance to start.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Yup, the need certainly has decreased since we pretty much put last year's group of CBs back together. 

Rhodes is on a clock though in terms of age/productivity. As long as he doesn't fall apart this year, I'm happy to keep going back to that well. And I'm happy to keep Carrie around. Both Rhodes and Carrie are 30 though.

Honestly though, we totally lucked out last year with Rhodes coming in a turning around his career. Things could have went very different. We really need to hope Rock, Tell, and Rodgers develop so next year's holes aren't as glaring. 

And I really don't care how we fill holes, but CB1 is one of the most expensive holes to fill in FA. And we're going to have a lot of big contracts due. We really need to hit this draft well when it comes to DE and LT, two other very expensive positions. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Yep. Add that to Ballard is not very good at drafting corners. I am almost ok signing vets at this position every couple of years. Maybe Tell  will eventually take that spot. It’s really too bad he decided to take last season off. With the way Rock struggled he might of really got the chance to start.

Based on Wilson and Rock, now Ballard is not good drafting corners?

Oh, good grief....     :facepalm:

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn't say CB has gone as poor as DE drafting, but CB hasn't gone well. Rock was his first pick in 19 (gotta hit your first pick), and Wilson was early capital (early 2nd IIRC) in 2017. The fact Wilson is no longer on the roster likely amplifies the feeling for many.

Overall, DB recruiting has not been a strength (especially early), and to say we have some questionable scheme picks would be an understatement.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't say CB has gone as poor as DE drafting, but CB hasn't gone well. Rock was his first pick in 19 (gotta hit your first pick), and Wilson was early capital (early 2nd IIRC) in 2017. The fact Wilson is no longer on the roster likely amplifies the feeling for many.

Overall, DB recruiting has not been a strength (especially early), and to say we have some questionable scheme picks would be an understatement.

Huh?

First, two picks is too small a sample size.   Not when the jury is still out in Rock.   Talk to me in a year. 

There was nothing wrong with taking Wilson where we did.  It was exactly where he was supposed to be drafted.  It just didn’t work out. 

Also, if we’re going outside two draft picks, since you used the word “recruiting”...   I’d simply say Kenny Moore, Xavier Rhodes, to go with Carrie. 

Then I’d add the later round draft picks... Tell, Taylor and Hairston.  

I don’t think CB has anything to apologize for just yet. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

First, two picks is too small a sample size.   Not when the jury is still out in Rock.   Talk to me in a year. 

There was nothing wrong with taking Wilson where we did.  It was exactly where he was supposed to be drafted.  It just didn’t work out. 

Also, if we’re going outside two draft picks, since you used the word “recruiting”...   I’d simply say Kenny Moore, Xavier Rhodes, to go with Carrie. 

Then I’d add the later round draft picks... Tell, Taylor and Hairston.  

I don’t think CB has anything to apologize for just yet. 

Even if you take a guy where the talking heads predict (and that's debatable), does that totally absolve a GM? Folks always give Ballard credit for scouting, etc. and finding the guys (and being better better than the talking heads). This time he took a guy (Wilson) that was predicted to go in 60s-90s at 46, and it was a miss. He was graded 6.2 by NFL.com, and the 6.2s ended at 95. So it's even debatable if 40s wasn't a reach. Anywho, if you're going to give credit for finds, you also have to take credit away for misses. And Wilson was an obvious miss.

Rhodes, Moore, and Carrie were all great in FA. Rhodes and Carrie had track records to judge in the pros though at least. Moore was a slam dunk.

Tell hasn't done anything yet. Harriston isn't on the roster. I don't know who Taylor is.

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

truth hurts. 2 high draft picks and so far no success. We have been better at finding corners in other ways. Same thing with edge so far.  If Rock doesn’t turn the corner this season he will probably be done as a colt. 

This is interesting.... from root world just now.

I'm thinking the report was bogus as I can't find any site that confirms we resined him.

Free agent CB T.J. Carrie visited the Bills.

Carrie set a three-year low in tackles last season but had two interceptions, a fumble recovery, and a defensive touchdown on limited snaps (38%). The Colts moved Carrie outside in sub-packages after he had a 30% slot rate in 2019. With Josh Norman gone, Carrie would give Buffalo a veteran to push Taron Johnson behind Tre'Davious White and Levi Wallace.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 17, 2021, 10:12 AM ET

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

This is interesting.... from root world just now.

I'm thinking the report was bogus as I can't find any site that confirms we resined him.

Carrie set a three-year low in tackles last season but had two interceptions, a fumble recovery, and a defensive touchdown on limited snaps (38%). The Colts moved Carrie outside in sub-packages after he had a 30% slot rate in 2019. With Josh Norman gone, Carrie would give Buffalo a veteran to push Taron Johnson behind Tre'Davious White and Levi Wallace.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

He visited the Bills days ago.  Old news.  Multiple reports said resigned after the visit.  Hopefully it will be confirmed soon.

20 minutes ago, dw49 said:

This is interesting.... from root world just now.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

Kenny Moore confirmed it yesterday. BuT TJ Carrie himself confirmed it.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Don't you know, all GM's outside of Ballard, hit on everything.  Not sure why we keep Ballard?  :hissy:.  Ballard is doing a hell of a good job, and I wouldn't trade him for any GM in the league.  We went from the worst GM to the best GM, be thankful Colt fans.

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

truth hurts. 2 high draft picks and so far no success. We have been better at finding corners in other ways. Same thing with edge so far.  If Rock doesn’t turn the corner this season he will probably be done as a colt. 

If Rick doesn’t turn the corner.   There’s that word — IF.

And if he does, your claim, which is premature at best, will be factually wrong. 

Again,  too soon to know.   Again, too small a sample size.   Your constant rush to judgement always leads to these kind of moments.   

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Even if you take a guy where the talking heads predict (and that's debatable), does that totally absolve a GM? Folks always give Ballard credit for scouting, etc. and finding the guys (and being better better than the talking heads). This time he took a guy (Wilson) that was predicted to go in 60s-90s at 46, and it was a miss. He was graded 6.2 by NFL.com, and the 6.2s ended at 95. So it's even debatable if 40s wasn't a reach. Anywho, if you're going to give credit for finds, you also have to take credit away for misses. And Wilson was an obvious miss.

Rhodes, Moore, and Carrie were all great in FA. Rhodes and Carrie had track records to judge in the pros though at least. Moore was a slam dunk.

Tell hasn't done anything yet. Harriston isn't on the roster. I don't know who Taylor is.

OK.....    the internet works out here in California.     Here's what I found.

Currently, right now,  on NFL.com,  you can go to the draft prospects section.   Load-up the year 2017,  and see how they were ranked.    Quincy Wilson is the 64th ranked player from that year.    He's the 4th name down on page 4 and it's 20 players per page.  

Here are the other rankings.

The worst, highest, is Kiper at pick 79.

PFF has him at 60.

Mayock has him 46.

McShay and Legwold at ESPN, both, separately have him at pick 31.

Jeremiah has him at pick 27.

It's funny now how you make Rhodes an easy decision to sign.    He was coming off two terrible years.   No one predicted he'd have the bounceback he did.    Now you make it seem obvious because he had a long track record.   And Carrie's track was such that he was signed late in the FA process.    Few here were excited about the signing.    Now you want to minimize accomplishment by making it seemed like anyone would do what CB did.

No one is perfect.  Especially not in the world of personnel.   We will know more about Rock by the end of the year.

Archived