Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign CB TJ Carrie (MERGE)

JediXMan

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK.....    the internet works out here in California.     Here's what I found.

Currently, right now,  on NFL.com,  you can go to the draft prospects section.   Load-up the year 2017,  and see how they were ranked.    Quincy Wilson is the 64th ranked player from that year.    He's the 4th name down on page 4 and it's 20 players per page.  

Look at his numeric rating. It's the same as a ton of guys. He's one of 34 guys rated 6.2

That would make him tied for 63rd to 96th.

Here are the other rankings.

The worst, highest, is Kiper at pick 79.

PFF has him at 60.

Mayock has him 46.

McShay and Legwold at ESPN, both, separately have him at pick 31.

Jeremiah has him at pick 27.

So again... all over the place. As I said, it goes back to scouts and GMs hitting or missing. If you give credit for the hits, you have to give credit for the misses. This was a miss.

And it really doesn't matter where talking heads have a guy as Ballard says. When he was drafted, many didn't like the pick and thought he was potentially a product of FL just having a good overall secondary. Keep in mind he wasn't even the best CB on FL's team that year and was playing CB2.

It's funny now how you make Rhodes an easy decision to sign.    He was coming off two terrible years.   No one predicted he'd have the bounceback he did.    Now you make it seem obvious because he had a long track record.   And Carrie's track was such that he was signed late in the FA process.    Few here were excited about the signing.    Now you want to minimize accomplishment by making it seemed like anyone would do what CB did.

I didn't say it was easy. I said they had NFL history to judge. Both were very very cheap, so little risk. Carrie was considered a very solid backup at Cleveland, so not sure why anyone gets credit one way or another. He's the same player here as he's been before, and that is a solid backup. And Rhodes being cheap, and especially transitioning to a heavy zone D, wasn't exactly a huge gamble. 

No one is perfect.  Especially not in the world of personnel.   We will know more about Rock by the end of the year.

I still have hope for RYS.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Look at his numeric rating. It's the same as a ton of guys. He's one of 34 guys rated 6.2

That would make him tied for 63rd to 96th.

So again... all over the place. As I said, it goes back to scouts and GMs hitting or missing. If you give credit for the hits, you have to give credit for the misses. This was a miss.

And it really doesn't matter where talking heads have a guy as Ballard says. When he was drafted, many didn't like the pick and thought he was potentially a product of FL just having a good overall secondary. Keep in mind he wasn't even the best CB on FL's team that year and was playing CB2.

I didn't say it was easy. I said they had NFL history to judge. Both were very very cheap, so little risk. Carrie was considered a very solid backup at Cleveland, so not sure why anyone gets credit one way or another. He's the same player here as he's been before, and that is a solid backup. And Rhodes being cheap, and especially transitioning to a heavy zone D, wasn't exactly a huge gamble. 

I still have hope for RYS.

Sorry,  long response.   Much to respond to.

To the Wilson ranking....   sorry, no.    That's NOT the way it works.    Wison may be tied in grade with over 30-something other players,  but at some point,  you have to rank them in order of preference   And Zierlein ranks has him at 64.  He could've been ranked at any of the other spots.   But he wasn't.   He was slotted at 64.   That's how this works.   

And while you  can call it "all over the map"  a number of good evaluators have him with a first round grade.   The worst was Kiper with a mid-3rd round grade.   We took Wilson right in the middle of the range of rankings.   Mid-40's.    There isn't an issue with where we took him.   Tabor may have been CB1 for Florida,  but he was not a better NFL prospect.   He tested badly and slipped.   Wilson was the youngest player in the draft.   The size of a safety.   He had better upside and long range potential.  Unfortunately,   he wasn't mature enough and it hasn't worked out for him at any stop.   But he was drafted roughly where he should have been.   

Carrie may or may not have been a good solid back-up,  but he was a BIG disappointment in Cleveland.   He was signed to a big deal.   $8 mill per.    That's starter money, not back-up.   Cut after two years.    And no one was interested until late in the process.   Ballard found value in the discount isle.

The gamble regarding Rhodes was this....    what if he didn't work out?    We signed him to be no less than CB2, and CB1 if things went well.    The $$ cost may not have been much.   But now imagine how this forum would look at Ballard if Rhodes was a bust and his play cost us a playoff spot?   The gamble was signing someone on a cheap deal.   People would be screaming that Ballard got what he paid for and why didn't he sign someone better to a bigger deal?   It would've been a lost opportunity to do better.

Again....  I'm not clearing Ballard of blame.   But no one bats 1,000 in this business.   A first rounder is considered by some to be a 50-50 proposition.   On balance, I think Ballard has done well.   Hope you'll note my post from the other day where I disagreed with Greg Rosenthal calling Ballard the best GM when it comes to the draft.   I think that's wrong and I explained why.

We will have a better idea by the end of this season.  Guys like Turay and Lewis from the 18 class,  plus the first four from the 19 class...   RYS, BB,  Parris and Oke.   If those guys come through,  Ballard's drafting will look even better.    And if not, we will see when the winter of 22 comes around.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,  long response.   Much to respond to.

To the Wilson ranking....   sorry, no.    That's NOT the way it works.    Wison may be tied in grade with over 30-something other players,  but at some point,  you have to rank them in order of preference   And Zierlein ranks has him at 64.  He could've been ranked at any of the other spots.   But he wasn't.   He was slotted at 64.   That's how this works. 

You're reaching here. NFL.com has always done tiers or buckets. NZ graded him the same as as a bunch of other guys at 6.2 which is "Good backup who could become starter".  Not 6.21, not 6.19... 6.2, the same as 30+ other guys. 

And while you  can call it "all over the map"  a number of good evaluators have him with a first round grade.   The worst was Kiper with a mid-3rd round grade.   We took Wilson right in the middle of the range of rankings.   Mid-40's.    There isn't an issue with where we took him.   Tabor may have been CB1 for Florida,  but he was not a better NFL prospect.   He tested badly and slipped.   Wilson was the youngest player in the draft.   The size of a safety.   He had better upside and long range potential.  Unfortunately,   he wasn't mature enough and it hasn't worked out for him at any stop.   But he was drafted roughly where he should have been.   

You call them evaluators. They are talking heads. And as I mentioned, Ballard said he doesn't care what those guys think. It's his board. He missed, plain and simple. 

Carrie may or may not have been a good solid back-up,  but he was a BIG disappointment in Cleveland.   He was signed to a big deal.   $8 mill per.    That's starter money, not back-up.   Cut after two years.    And no one was interested until late in the process.   Ballard found value in the discount isle.

He was cut because he had starter money. We picked him up on the rebound for cheap as a backup. Good signing for depth, but it's not genius. 

The gamble regarding Rhodes was this....    what if he didn't work out?    We signed him to be no less than CB2, and CB1 if things went well.    The $$ cost may not have been much.   But now imagine how this forum would look at Ballard if Rhodes was a bust and his play cost us a playoff spot?   The gamble was signing someone on a cheap deal.   People would be screaming that Ballard got what he paid for and why didn't he sign someone better to a bigger deal?   It would've been a lost opportunity to do better.

At worst he would have been CB2. Again, not genius. It worked out. He was a past pro-bowler for goodness sakes. Good signing on the cheap, and worked out well for our zone.

Again....  I'm not clearing Ballard of blame.   But no one bats 1,000 in this business.   A first rounder is considered by some to be a 50-50 proposition.   On balance, I think Ballard has done well.   Hope you'll note my post from the other day where I disagreed with Greg Rosenthal calling Ballard the best GM when it comes to the draft.   I think that's wrong and I explained why.

We will have a better idea by the end of this season.  Guys like Turay and Lewis from the 18 class,  plus the first four from the 19 class...   RYS, BB,  Parris and Oke.   If those guys come through,  Ballard's drafting will look even better.    And if not, we will see when the winter of 22 comes around.

Nobody is saying everyone bats 1000. My only comment was he hasn't been good at CBs in the draft. You then proceeded to drive it off a cliff. 

12 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

CB and DE, not good.

Ballard is a top 5 GM for sure, but those positions have been a issue at draft, and we're trying to solve by FA the last 2 years

Yup. I've always said there are 7 positions (below) you need to hit well in the draft if you want a healthy roster. All expensive, and all vital to success. The rest of the positions are cheaper and easier to fill in FA, or mid/late rounds. We've only hit on one in Ballard's years so far (current roster) and that's WILL. We've covered two long term via FA (Wentz, Buckner), have been covering 2 short term via FA, have one open hole (LT), and one aging vet (WR1). It would be really nice to get long term LT and Edge1 answers this coming draft.

QB

LT

WR1

Edge1

3T

CB1

WILL

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. I've always said there are 7 positions (below) you need to hit well in the draft if you want a healthy roster. All expensive, and all vital to success. The rest of the positions are cheaper and easier to fill in FA, or mid/late rounds. We've only hit on one in Ballard's years so far (current roster) and that's WILL. We've covered two long term via FA (Wentz, Buckner), have been covering 2 short term via FA, have one open hole (LT), and one aging vet (WR1). It would be really nice to get long term LT and Edge1 answers this coming draft.

QB

LT

WR1

Edge1

3T

CB1

WILL

Agreed. And we can all say that we need Money to pay our guys, but a Carl Lawson type of deal was possible and not done. 

Again, great GM, but still human, just as Polian was. 

3 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

Agreed. And we can all say that we need Money to pay our guys, but a Carl Lawson type of deal was possible and not done. 

Great so far. I've said many times, easier to be great improving a bad roster. Harder to maintain and improve a decent/good roster. 

13 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

Ballard didn’t like him. Just because fans think he would of been a good fit doesn’t mean Ballard did.

What happens if Turay and Lewis have monster years. We need to extend them on top of all the others we need to extend. We have a lot of money going out for this 2018 draft class. Hines also. This is going to be a very expensive draft class to re-sign.

13 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

I mean it seemed the Bengals didn't care to keep Lawson either since they signed hendrickson to a similar deal that Lawson got (4 year 60 million vs 3 year 45 million). Granted the deal is slightly different with the Bengals having an out on the hendrickson deal after the first year and the Jets having an out after the 2nd year.

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

I mean it seemed the Bengals didn't care to keep Lawson either since they signed hendrickson to a similar deal that Lawson got (4 year 60 million vs 3 year 45 million). Granted the deal is slightly different with the Bengals having an out on the hendrickson deal after the first year and the Jets having an out after the 2nd year.

It's just an example, we had Money and edge free agents, TB with no money resign Barret. Those types of "no movement" is something that I don't like. Remember when we wasted some Manning years with horrible defenses? Yes, sometimes agressive FA pays up.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Ballard didn’t like him. Just because fans think he would of been a good fit doesn’t mean Ballard did.

What happens if Turay and Lewis have monster years. We need to extend them on top of all the others we need to extend. We have a lot of money going out for this 2018 draft class. Hines also. This is going to be a very expensive draft class to re-sign.

Lawson was a example. Expect turay and Lewis to have breakout years is hope, not plan.

22 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

CB and DE, not good.

Ballard is a top 5 GM for sure, but those positions have been a issue at draft, and we're trying to solve by FA the last 2 years

I'm confused. He has not been good at drafting DEs or CBs.  Isn't that the core to any good defense? The only good Dlinemen has acquired is thru a trade. Ballard is not the drafting genius that people want to assume he is. I would actually give more credit to Reich than Ballard for this teams success.  Go ahead and pile on me.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Surprised he’s back.  I thought he was brought in last year because of Tell opting out but i am not mad or disappointed he’s back.

I believe he was. However, this is like year 2 of Tell's contract and development, so bringing Carrie back will give him an additional year to develop. Maybe he makes the team, maybe he gets placed on the practice squad. I have a feeling he isn't going to be expected to play too much this year unless he proves it in OTA's and preseason, or unless there are a couple injuries. 

Plus, Kenny Moore plays slot and TJ Carrie is a backup slot CB. So if Moore is specifically hurt, Carrie could probably fill in Moore's spot 75% as good as he could. That alone is worth $2 million this year.

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'm confused. He has not been good at drafting DEs or CBs.  Isn't that the core to any good defense? The only good Dlinemen has acquired is thru a trade. Ballard is not the drafting genius that people want to assume he is. I would actually give more credit to Reich than Ballard for this teams success.  Go ahead and pile on me.

I'll pile on you here. Ballard has put together a great team since taking over in 2017. We lost Luck (I blame a combination of Grigson and Luck himself for this), and that ruined 2019 and stunted our growth in 2020 with a one-year stopgap in Rivers. We have Wentz now. He's 28 years old. We'll get a decade out of him to compete if he's above-average or better. He has the chemistry with Reich.

Remember, if Ballard hadn't built a solid team before getting Wentz after Luck retired, we'd be back to 2012. However, because Ballard did the foundation first, we can now try and compete again for a decade with Wentz immediately. We have a few weaknesses, but we have the draft and the rest of the offseason to fill them. We do need to improve our DEs. We can still sign Houston back and/or draft an EDGE in the first two rounds. CBs we re-signed Rhodes and Carrie, and Ballard has shown interest in Newsome, Farley, and Asante Samuel. We could easily take a CB at 21, or trade down and get one. We will get a couple starters out of the draft. 

I wanted an EDGE too, and thought it was a mistake to sign Hilton back and not an EDGE in FA, but we have to re-sign our own as well, and a 5 year deal to an EDGE for 12-15 million a year will take away money short and long-term. We have a reduced salary cap this year. The rest of that money will go towards draft picks, offseason depth signings after the draft and UDFA's, and Braden Smith, Darius Leonard, and Quenton Nelson.

20 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

It's just an example, we had Money and edge free agents, TB with no money resign Barret. Those types of "no movement" is something that I don't like. Remember when we wasted some Manning years with horrible defenses? Yes, sometimes agressive FA pays up.

Lawson was a example. Expect turay and Lewis to have breakout years is hope, not plan.

I was talking more about money. If they have break our years they will need paid. Ballard I think wants to see what the younger guys can do in contract years. They need the playing time to see. It’s either going to be bad or they will step up. 

23 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Leonard, Walker, Okereke, Blackmon, Willis, a good part of our defense are draft picks and way better than most of our last 5-8 years guys at those positions. It's not that good, but it's not that bad either, for sure well above average

8 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I was talking more about money. If they have break our years they will need paid. Ballard I think wants to see what the younger guys can do in contract years. They need the playing time to see. It’s either going to be bad or they will step up. 

I can understand the thinking, but I cannot agree. To see whats players have you have otas, training camp, pra season, practice. We you do a Project and want to check concept, you do a pilot (practice), you dont go live with hope.

We can build tru draft, but some pieces are too important to not have plan A and B, DE is one of them.

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard has put together a great team since taking over in 2017. We lost Luck (I blame a combination of Grigson and Luck himself for this), and that ruined 2019

We have Wentz now. He's 28 years old. We'll get a decade out of him to compete if he's above-average or better. He has the chemistry with Reich.

Remember, if Ballard hadn't built a solid team before getting Wentz after Luck retired, we'd be back to 2012. However, because Ballard did the foundation first, we can now try and compete again for a decade with Wentz immediately. We have a few weaknesses, but we have the draft and the rest of the offseason to fill them. We do need to improve our DEs. We can still sign Houston back and/or draft an EDGE in the first two rounds. CBs we re-signed Rhodes and Carrie, and Ballard has shown interest in Newsome, Farley, and Asante Samuel. We could easily take a CB at 21, or trade down and get one. We will get a couple starters out of the draft. 

Well said. 

1 hour ago, DiogoSales said:

I can understand the thinking, but I cannot agree. To see whats players have you have otas, training camp, pra season, practice. We you do a Project and want to check concept, you do a pilot (practice), you dont go live with hope.

We can build tru draft, but some pieces are too important to not have plan A and B, DE is one of them.

We all know practice doesn’t mean much. It does no good for Turay or Banogu if they don’t get time to evaluate them. I don’t think we will be bad. We will add a DE or two in the draft to go along with what we have and possibility sign Houston . I am more worried about the backup 3t with Autry gone. We seen what happened when Buckner and Autry both missed the TN game.

Archived