Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favorite Draft prospect and why

47 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Hey my friend who is your favorite 

I don't watch a lot of college ball, so I would have to agree with the other posters that Id be excited for a good LT or DE. Don't appreciate posters labeling other groups of posters as stupid simply because they didn't answer the way someone wanted them to. 

It's no secret my favorite player in the draft is Liam Eichenberg.  Started 36 games the last three years for the Irish at Left Tackle, allowing only 3 total sacks, all of them in 2018.  Not a single sack the past 2 seasons.  This season, allowed only 1 QB hit.  And remember, their opponents included the pass rushing terror squad from Pitt.  Nada.  He's not the most athletic, and has a limited ceiling.  But his high-grade technique makes him plug and play ready today.  8.56 RAS score, mostly coming from his strength and agility scores.  Not so much on explosion.  The biggest knock on him is his 32 3/8" arms.  That's not poor.  That's downright bad.  And yet, he earns multiple first team all American honors, and keeps his QB clean.  It's a serious reach to take him at #21.  But I would do it.  My favorite player.

17 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

It's no secret my favorite player in the draft is Liam Eichenberg.  Started 36 games the last three years for the Irish at Left Tackle, allowing only 3 total sacks, all of them in 2018.  Not a single sack the past 2 seasons.  This season, allowed only 1 QB hit.  And remember, their opponents included the pass rushing terror squad from Pitt.  Nada.  He's not the most athletic, and has a limited ceiling.  But his high-grade technique makes him plug and play ready today.  8.56 RAS score, mostly coming from his strength and agility scores.  Not so much on explosion.  The biggest knock on him is his 32 3/8" arms.  That's not poor.  That's downright bad.  And yet, he earns multiple first team all American honors, and keeps his QB clean.  It's a serious reach to take him at #21.  But I would do it.  My favorite player.

I would be on board with Eichenberg in trade down scenario 

On 4/16/2021 at 2:54 PM, danlhart87 said:

My favorite team in college is the Texas Longhorns so my favorite is Samuel Cosmi 

Please move to draft 

I would say my draft crush is Greg Newsome, CB, Northwestern. He's fast, athletic, a great player, well coached, and never out of position. 6'1 190, perfect scheme fit for us. Ballard visited his pro day and loves him. Great RAS. Great combine. He can even defend the run. My favorite CB in the draft. Take a look at him if you haven't already.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:41 AM, Coltsman1788 said:

Tevin Jenkins. He plays nasty like Big Q. I want to pair them up and maul defenses with the run all game.  That left side of the Oline would be something serious.

Tevin Jenkins is my favorite prospect that is realistic for the Colts at 21. Nasty player that would be work great next to Q.  Its been reported that Ballard likes him too.  Fingers crossed.

Joseph

At 21: Radunz is my favorite option to get the most important need filled right away with a stud OT.  I love his game, he's got some nasty to him and good feet, moves really well in space too he's my kind of OT.  Rankings are all over the place but this guy probably won't make round 2 and he's my favorite OT in this class.  Need plus value here IMO.

At 54: Friermuth is my favorite TE in this class.  Now I realize everything's about measurables and athleticism and everyone's swooning over Pitts who is a fine prospect.  But guys like Friermuth who bring a safe target across the middle that DBs will bounce off of offer a lot of value to your QB.  When this guy gets the ball in the secondary you can see the DBs hate taking him on.  Guys like that can have a wear down effect on a secondary which will always have value even in an age where speed is more valued than ever.  This would be need plus value as well.

At 127: Amari Rodgers is going to be a fine slot receiver in this league.  Teams will feel him right away too.  Good chance he goes off the board before this point but him being in play here is a testament to the depth of this class, which means there are other options to finish up your WR room with this pick no matter how this draft goes down.

CB and WR have multiple guys I like in rounds 3 and 4, as both groups are very deep.  I think from an efficiency perspective getting those two rooms some help makes sense in those rounds.

I'm not sure of "favourite" is the right word but Spencer Brown is the most intriguing to me.

He's the biggest boom or bust offensive lineman I can remember in recent times. Massive, nasty, apparently insanely athletic, benches 500lbs, good teammate......but played right tackle at a lower level of competition and had a mixed Senior Bowl.

In a draft where a lot of the tackles have some question marks due to the curtailed collage season and relative limited playing time I'm interested to see where Brown goes and what he becomes.

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not sure of "favourite" is the right word but Spencer Brown is the most intriguing to me.

He's the biggest boom or bust offensive lineman I can remember in recent times. Massive, nasty, apparently insanely athletic, benches 500lbs, good teammate......but played right tackle at a lower level of competition and had a mixed Senior Bowl.

In a draft where a lot of the tackles have some question marks due to the curtailed collage season and relative limited playing time I'm interested to see where Brown goes and what he becomes.

Ive read a lot on Brown as well...I think someone gets a steal with him

On 4/17/2021 at 3:02 AM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Gregory Rousseau, the man is a freak of nature. He reminds me of Issiah Simmons last year or of Metcalf.  A freakish athlete with high ceiling and motor. He will be s guy turning heads and leaving people wondering why they choose any DE over him...

Here’s the issue.   The thing with Rousseau is that he’s NOT an athletic freak.   He has the perfect size and arm length and hands.....  BUT....    he’s not fast, or quick, or explosive.  All the athletic testing scores for Rousseau were poor.  Very disappointing. 

He opted out of the 2020 season, and had 6 months to get ready for his Pro Day and was just meh...   that’s a red flag. 

Plus...   here’s one the things that is not talked about much.   His great year of sacks two seasons ago, where he recorded 15.5 sacks...    most of them were not out wide as a defensive end.  Against weaker opponents, Rousseau would often slide to the middle playing right over the center against completely over-matched players.   Like taking candy from a baby. 

If he was an athletic freak, he’d be a top-10 player.   But he’s not.    He passes the eye ball test to look at him.   But when you turn in the tape, the flaws are not hard for a scout to spot. 

My 4 first round favorites: 

Rashod Bateman - He's probably only behind Smith as a pure route runner, he can play anywhere on the field, his body control and catch point abilities are A+ and he's an alpha male on the field. Truly think he'll be a top 2 WR from this class in a few years

Greg Newsome - Physical and versatile, he'll play anywhere you want him, he can fit whatever scheme you run, and he's a dog in zone coverage. My CB2 and I think he's going to be an absolute stud

Caleb Farley - Probably the most resilient player in the class, he's been through a lot, and he keeps pushing through. He's got fantastic athleticism mixed with his great speed and he's so smooth at CB. He's also big and fast enough to cover anyone in the NFL

Jaelen Phillips - He's incredibly smart, he's always has a plan on a down-to-down basis, and his gameday play-by-play adjustments are insanely good, top that off with everything else he brings and you've got a monster

20 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

At 21: Radunz is my favorite option to get the most important need filled right away with a stud OT.  I love his game, he's got some nasty to him and good feet, moves really well in space too he's my kind of OT.  Rankings are all over the place but this guy probably won't make round 2 and he's my favorite OT in this class.  Need plus value here IMO.

At 54: Friermuth is my favorite TE in this class.  Now I realize everything's about measurables and athleticism and everyone's swooning over Pitts who is a fine prospect.  But guys like Friermuth who bring a safe target across the middle that DBs will bounce off of offer a lot of value to your QB.  When this guy gets the ball in the secondary you can see the DBs hate taking him on.  Guys like that can have a wear down effect on a secondary which will always have value even in an age where speed is more valued than ever.  This would be need plus value as well.

At 127: Amari Rodgers is going to be a fine slot receiver in this league.  Teams will feel him right away too.  Good chance he goes off the board before this point but him being in play here is a testament to the depth of this class, which means there are other options to finish up your WR room with this pick no matter how this draft goes down.

CB and WR have multiple guys I like in rounds 3 and 4, as both groups are very deep.  I think from an efficiency perspective getting those two rooms some help makes sense in those rounds.

Radunz is an intriguing prospect but I highly doubt he is a 1st rounder. Have yet to see anyone consider him that level. He can be a good player but I see RT for him honestly. Regardless at 21 there will be better options before him IMO. 

I do like Friermuth at 54. If he is there it would be a good pick and great weapon for Wentz. 

I have loved Amari for a while now. He looked good at the Senior Bowl but unfortunately he will be gone by the 3rd round IMO. I would love him though. Good hands and good routes with some quick feet. 

6 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Radunz is an intriguing prospect but I highly doubt he is a 1st rounder. Have yet to see anyone consider him that level. He can be a good player but I see RT for him honestly. Regardless at 21 there will be better options before him IMO. 

I do like Friermuth at 54. If he is there it would be a good pick and great weapon for Wentz. 

I have loved Amari for a while now. He looked good at the Senior Bowl but unfortunately he will be gone by the 3rd round IMO. I would love him though. Good hands and good routes with some quick feet. 

I'll be surprised if Radunz goes past pick 31.  And his film is really good, on par to my eye with the players I see mocked in that range.

I think Teven Jenkins is more a RT than a LT.  Also his back issue leading him to opt out is a massive concern to me.  Backs are very hard to predict.  I'd steer clear of this guy unless I wanted a RT and was very happy with his medical reports which we are not privy to.

Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw are all outstanding but unlikely to make it to the 20s.  Eichenberg is excellent but has short arms and his own coach called him a RT.

All these things will work to put Radunz into late round 1.  Teams need tackles there just aren't enough of those big felllas.

1 hour ago, Boondoggle said:

I'll be surprised if Radunz goes past pick 31.  And his film is really good, on par to my eye with the players I see mocked in that range.

I think Teven Jenkins is more a RT than a LT.  Also his back issue leading him to opt out is a massive concern to me.  Backs are very hard to predict.  I'd steer clear of this guy unless I wanted a RT and was very happy with his medical reports which we are not privy to.

Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw are all outstanding but unlikely to make it to the 20s.  Eichenberg is excellent but has short arms and his own coach called him a RT.

All these things will work to put Radunz into late round 1.  Teams need tackles there just aren't enough of those big felllas.

I know Jenkins opted out of the last month of the season.   But I haven’t read anything that talks about a bad back.   Do you have a link to a story that talks about that?

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know Jenkins opted out of the last month of the season.   But I haven’t read anything that talks about a bad back.   Do you have a link to a story that talks about that?

Thanks. 

Here you go:

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/teven-jenkins-to-forgo-rest-of-season-to-prepare-for-nfl-draft/

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/osu/osu-football-offensive-lineman-teven-jenkins-opts-out-of-the-remaining-season/article_e2dc8652-332e-11eb-8b37-f39399d95975.html

6 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Itll be interesting to see if anything surfaces and whether or not anything shows up on his medical profile from the examinations he received a week ago.  

Thanks again....

5 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

I mean you do make a good point and a lot of teams are wanting tackles so it could happen for Radunz being grabbed in the first. Again, his name has not been mentioned among tackles with a first round potential but anything is possible for sure. 

Jenkins was a struggle for me as well but I have watched him more and read up on what scouts have said and the LT transition seems to be something they consider for him. The guy is extremely strong and has a solid playing style with power. NFL coaching hopefully gets him to use his feet better and have a better slide to help against the NFL speed. I read those articles you posted in regards to the injury and it seems minuscule to say the least. A reason for him to be done in my eyes. Nothing has been said sense which means any medical would be fine on him. I am not privileged to that information but no comments have been made. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Itll be interesting to see if anything surfaces and whether or not anything shows up on his medical profile from the examinations he received a week ago.  

Thanks again....

I didn't realize this either. If something does show up significant, he could fall to the 2nd round potentially. Maybe a blessing in disguise for the Colts. Maybe we trade down and take him after picking up a 3rd rounder? That'd be a dream scenario! :) 

19 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I mean you do make a good point and a lot of teams are wanting tackles so it could happen for Radunz being grabbed in the first. Again, his name has not been mentioned among tackles with a first round potential but anything is possible for sure. 

Jenkins was a struggle for me as well but I have watched him more and read up on what scouts have said and the LT transition seems to be something they consider for him. The guy is extremely strong and has a solid playing style with power. NFL coaching hopefully gets him to use his feet better and have a better slide to help against the NFL speed. I read those articles you posted in regards to the injury and it seems minuscule to say the least. A reason for him to be done in my eyes. Nothing has been said sense which means any medical would be fine on him. I am not privileged to that information but no comments have been made. 

Well to begin with I am certainly no draft expert.  Just another draft geek and fan enthusiast who watches film I can find and I don't really put too much stock into draft sites other than using them as references for my own lists.  Just something I enjoy doing.

But talking lists...  PFF's big board has Radunz at 32, and Jenkins at 31.  Which I think is fine btw.  Draft Network has Radunz at 33 and Jenkins at 28, which is also fine to my eye.  Great Blue North which I always reference has Radunz at 50 and Jenkins at 23.  I would note that this year there's way more variance it seems than normal which makes sense given the nature of the last year.

Senior Bowl is also something I put a lot of stock in.  Radunz had a great week.  Really that alone on top of his film I think cements him in that late first round group.

Lastly the OTs tend to go earlier than expected just due to supply/demand and any of these guys who teams think might be able to play LT is going to be snapped up very quickly as that is a cornerstone position.  This is why I don't let myself think a guy like Darrisaw falls to us.  I mean anything is possible but it doesn't seem too probable to me.

So either way I do think Ballard is going to find a LT in this draft.  It just might not be the guy we expect.  If they don't like Jenkins or Radunz I would think they move up.  Protections being there for Wentz is crucial.

Archived