Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

worst trade in colts history

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

The sad thing is we gave up TWO first round picks for a player that was more successful on special teams

I will say this, between

Jeff George Trade

Eric Dickerson Trade

Fredd Young Trade

Irsay finally realized that he wasnt a GM

Cincy hasnt figured that out yet, as the owner / owners family keeps dabbling in GM activity

It was horrible, I remember thinking why???  It was almost as if Seattle had something on Irsay, lol!  Though you are correct, he finally figured out he wasn't a GM and Tobin thankfully followed.

16 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

The sad thing is we gave up TWO first round picks for a player that was more successful on special teams

I will say this, between

Jeff George Trade

Eric Dickerson Trade

Fredd Young Trade

Irsay finally realized that he wasnt a GM

Cincy hasnt figured that out yet, as the owner / owners family keeps dabbling in GM activity

I did wonder in 97 after he took full control of the team, how close were we to a Jim Irsay owner/gm situation? It honestly had to be a powerful temptation. 

On 4/16/2021 at 5:49 AM, jskinnz said:

Sorry but that one was not bad at all considering who they got to replace Faulk. 

problem is that Faulk's replacement wasn't selected with the picks from the rams, that was mike Peterson and Brad scioli

I agree with the Marshall Faulk as one of the Top 5 worst Colts trades:

- I understand we drafted Edgerinn James at #4 that year and he was a great pick.

- The Rams manipulated that trade by having Eric Dickerson talk to Irsay about how unhappy Faulk was

- We should have gotten the #6 pick instead of a 2nd round and 5th round pick(Mike Peterson and Brad Scoli) 

- The Rams selected Torry Holt (@ #6) and between Holt and Faulk powered a couple of super bowl runs (1 win) for the Rams.  THe Rams were 4-12 in 1998 and the next year they won the Super Bowl. The Colts didn't make the Super Bowl during the Edgerinn years.

- If we could have gotten the #6 pick (like Marshall should have gotten in the prime of his career) imagine a team that next year with Peyton, James, Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison.  Or not make the trade at all and take Holt at #4 (or Champ Bailey) with a Marshall Faulk in the backfield.  We featured Edgerinn as much as we would have featured Marshall. both were pro bowlers (Marshall was a MVP)

Again, it turned out OK for us as Edgerinn was a great pick.  But that pick was already ours - we didn't trade Marshall for the 4th pick - we traded Marshall for the Mike Peterson and Brad Scoli

• Like 1

I mean in terms of worst impact for the price Jeff George wins. 

But the Richardson trade still feels like it hurt more. The George Trade was a high risk/high reward deal to get the cornerstone to build around for the next 15 years. 

With Richardson we just straight up got fleeced and made to look silly. When we were ready to win then with Luck. And trading for him was not at all a necessity. The Browns needed a boob, and they called Grigson.

• Like 1

The Colts giving up a first for Craig Erickson was pretty disastrous with the benefit of hindsight. He lost the job to Jim Harbaugh and fell as low as 3rd string.

At least with the Jeff George trade we got a return getting a couple of first and a third, That future first we got from Atlanta netted us Marvin Harrison.  With Erickson, we got a starter for a game and a half and the pick we gave up still had Ray Lewis on the draft board.  

Trent Richardson was a bad trade, but it doesn't come close in my estimation.  There just weren't a ton of prospects around the 26th pick in the 2014 draft that, even looking back on their careers, would have been better off.  Maybe Davante Adams or Demarcus Lawrence?  But we'd have probably been up in arms about it if we drafted either of at 26 instead of trading down.  That class was pretty top heavy looking back.

Again, hindsight is 20/20 and all that and we obviously wouldn't have made those trades if we had a crystal ball, but to think that in 96 we could've had Marvin Harrison AND Ray Lewis?  

• Like 1

I agree with some of the other posters, it was the Elway trade all the way. The thought of the watching Elway play QB in Baltimore, and the reality of watching Art Schlichter ,and a bunch of other bum QB’s , was enough to make you drink cases of Natty Boh to quell the pain. 

What made the Elway trade worse was the fact that the Colts passed on taking Dan Marino, which I think they were in position to do at the time.  That would have made the Elway trade nothing to speak about, and may even have been a net gain.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-draft-trade-broncos-colts-john-elway-facts-history-1983-053117

From a pure draft pick capital for player impact, the Fredd Young trade was probably number 1 on the list.

From a franchise impact perspective, the move up and selection of Jeff George was probably the worst.  Bad player, and a worse attitude and likability.

• Like 1
On 4/20/2021 at 12:13 AM, John Waylon said:

I mean in terms of worst impact for the price Jeff George wins. 

But the Richardson trade still feels like it hurt more. The George Trade was a high risk/high reward deal to get the cornerstone to build around for the next 15 years. 

With Richardson we just straight up got fleeced and made to look silly. When we were ready to win then with Luck. And trading for him was not at all a necessity. The Browns needed a boob, and they called Grigson.

The Richardson trade was bad, but not really that bad.   It was a later 1st round pick.   Richardson had a good rookie season.  

The George trade was bad because we gave up a lot for a nothing.   Colts trade tackle Chris Hinton, receiver Andre Rison, 1991 first-rounder and a 1990 fifth-rounder to Atlanta for the right to select Jeff George No. 1.  Hinton was a 7 time pro bowl LT and was even an all pro 1 year with Atlanta.   Risen was a 5 time pro bowler.   Throw in another 1st rounder and a fifth rounder to top this trade off.