Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

worst trade in colts history

Everyone bangs on about the Hughes trade with the benefit of hindsight, yet forget the circumstances behind it. 

He was fed up of being sat, and had a real axe to grind, in short had made it clear he didn't want to be in Indy. Up to that point he hadn't shown much exactly. So do you take something for a player who was overtly stating he didn't want to play for the team, and had was very unlikely to play the way he did for the Bills while here. There was very much a personal dislike for Irsay for whatever reason.

Didn't work out in our favour but I get the why.

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Trent Richardson was the worst, but giving up on Hughes to the bills hurt a lot too.

I wondered how many posts until Richardson was mentioned lol.

This is the worst trade I've seen them make I think.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Everyone bangs on about the Hughes trade with the benefit of hindsight, yet forget the circumstances behind it. 

He was fed up of being sat, and had a real axe to grind, in short had made it clear he didn't want to be in Indy. Up to that point he hadn't shown much exactly. So do you take something for a player who was overtly stating he didn't want to play for the team, and had was very unlikely to play the way he did for the Bills while here. There was very much a personal dislike for Irsay for whatever reason.

The way I remember it is they tried to make him a rushing linebacker in our 3/4.  He had a hard time making the move and he became frustrated and the team decided it was not going to work.  They traded him to the Bills and he became a hand down ER and he quickly flourished and had a great career.  He is still there.  The Colts took a chance with their 1st pick and it didn’t work out.  I have always been skeptical of position switches ever since.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I am with you. There is just sometimes it will never workout. He wouldn't have been resigned so getting anything for him was something. It isn't just a giving up too early, it is more a wasn't a good pick to begin with. There are just certain guys that need certain teams to play well. 

3 hours ago, JediXMan said:

What are some of the worst trades?  To me Trent Richardson is one of the top ones.

Trent Richardson was the worst Jeff George being second but at least George had promise. 

• Thanks 1

It depends on what we are referring too. Obviously, Trent Richardson turned out the WORST. But, when the trade was initially agreed upon, myself and most of social media thought we were going to have one of the most, if not the top, lethal offenses in the league. Nobody thought he would be THAT bad. 

The Browns drafted Johnny Manziel, who was even worse. Obviously, we could have gotten Dee Ford, Jason Verrett, Jimmie Ward, etc, but we could have easily drafted Marcus Smith, Dominique Easley, etc

What made the Trent Richardson trade even more hilarious is we kept forcing him in as starter every week and he'd let us down with his 2 yd/run average e-v-e-r-y game. Meanwhile, Ryan Grigson was probably demanding Chuck Pagano keep Trent in anyways. As a Colts fan, I was like, "How many bad games does this guy have to have before he's benched?"

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

These are all bad, of course.

But we can’t forget about trading John Elway for Hinton, Hermann, and a draft pick who became Ron Solt.

Colts had no choice, Elway threatened to play baseball instead. 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Colts had no choice, Elway threatened to play baseball instead. 

Yeah, but they had a choice in what they got in return.  Or they could’ve picked somebody else first.

They had options.  Either way, it was a disastrous trade.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, but they had a choice in what they got in return.  Or they could’ve picked somebody else first.

They had options.  Either way, it was a disastrous trade.

You know, maybe the worst part about that whole episode was that Frank Kush — who was the main reason Elway didn’t want to play for the Colts - ended up quitting before the end of the 1st season in Indy with a stellar record of 4-11.

TRich was a really bad trade...but not a franchise-defining bad trade.

I don’t see it as much worse than Polian giving up a future 1st to draft Ugoh in the 2nd round. 

The Jeff George trade on the other hand...

• Like 1

The Fredd Young one hurt. We gave up two number 1s and he never really panned out. I'll even say I wasn't thrilled giving up the rights to Cornelius Bennett for Dickerson (although that trade helped put us back on the map)

But MAN. Elway.

Bob Irsay traded him after waiting a whole 5 weeks to (no hardball there), WITHOUT telling the GM at the time. Worst. trade. ever.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Trent Richardson was the worst, but giving up on Hughes to the bills hurt a lot too.

Hughes really didn't do anything for us when he was here.  He wasn't working out in the 3-4 system and like @SteelCityColthas already said, he was very unhappy here.  

In three years in Indy he had 51 tackles and 5 sacks and started just 7 total games.  He wasn't made for the system we were playing and he didn't want to play here anyway.  

We got Kelvin Shepard in return who started 7 games (played in 15) and had 46 tackles the lone year here (basically equaling Hughes' 3 year output).  

Hughes has gone onto a nice career in Buffalo, by changing position to edge rusher/DE.  Good for him.  Unless we switched to a 4-3 and moved him to a specialty role of edge rusher from the DE position, he would never have produced like that here.  

It's easy to look at Hughes' numbers in Buffalo and think we lost out big on him, but the scheme we were running and his attitude in Indy wouldn't have worked out for him or us.  For what he was doing for us, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think he would have been cut and not made our final roster.  Instead we traded him and got decent value back, albeit for only 1 year.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MPStack said:

Jeff George

Fredd Young

Compared to Young, George seems like a reasonable trade especially considering the return in the Atlanta trade. But omg was fredd young was just 2 1st round picks in the toilet

• Like 2
6 hours ago, MPStack said:

The Colts gave up Andre Bad Moon Rison (5x Pro Bowler) and Chris Hinton (7 x Pro Bowler, 3 x All Pro, when it actually meant something) and a 1st Rd pick to draft J. George. 

Updated! 

The T. Richardson trade isn’t even close to that failure of a trade. It’s just somewhat of a current event for some. 

Yeah what is funny is when the Trent trade took place there were many Colts fans that liked it. I was even one that didn't mind it because I thought with Andrew at QB that he would be able to be somewhat productive. Hindsight is easy now because he ended up stinking. I agree with you, I think the George trade was worse but not much worse. George was supposed to be the next great franchise QB and we gave up a lot to get him.

12 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I think the answers here reflect the older age of some (me) and length of time as Colts fans. To me the answer is clearly Fredd Young. 

The Colts have made some stinkers in their trades, for sure. But Fredd Young ... WOW!

I wouldn't even put the Richardson trade in the top 3-4 for the Colts.   We didn't give up a high first round pick for him.   He had a good rookie season in Cleveland.   It could be argued that we actually won that trade since the Browns used the pick on Maziel.  

Trading Faulk to the Rams for a 2nd and a 5th round pick was much worse.  

Trading a first and 3rd to move up from 7 to 5 and take Trev Alberts wasn't good.

This one is the worst.  Colts trade tackle Chris Hinton, receiver Andre Rison, 1991 first-rounder and a 1990 fifth-rounder to Atlanta for the right to select Jeff George No. 1.

• Like 4
23 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

There's definitely some behind the scenes that we don't know about, but my beef with the trade is that we couldn't get anything better than Kelvin Sheppard. And then the guy you drafted busts, which compounds the issue.

We just saw star QBs nearly go scorched earth against their teams, and not get traded. The Colts couldn't have placated a third year edge rusher for one more season? Especially with Freeney leaving? Just wasn't great roster management up front, and then Hughes goes on to be a double digit sack guy while our pass rush was a sore spot.

This is nowhere near as bad as the Trent Richardson trade that would come a few months later, though.

• Like 1
On 4/15/2021 at 2:25 PM, WentzinRome said:

Thanks man, just when I thought Fred Young was a distant memory, you bring him back, lol!  What an awful trade.

The sad thing is we gave up TWO first round picks for a player that was more successful on special teams

I will say this, between

Jeff George Trade

Eric Dickerson Trade

Fredd Young Trade

Irsay finally realized that he wasnt a GM

Cincy hasnt figured that out yet, as the owner / owners family keeps dabbling in GM activity

• Like 1
On 4/15/2021 at 11:13 PM, ColtV said:

Compared to Young, George seems like a reasonable trade especially considering the return in the Atlanta trade. But omg was fredd young was just 2 1st round picks in the toilet

You may be right but the George trade hurt us by losing a great Tackle (Hinton) and an up and coming WR (Rison)

in addition to the picks

Here is what I like about Ballard....... He and his team do the "pre work" and makes sure he looks deeply into the kid before he drafts him, especially at a high draft position.

George was a selfish person, with an ugly ego before he came to the pros. He was a devisive person. He was not a leader.

Ballard would have figured him out, and not drafted him (I believe)

Ballard has developed the right culture of work and team focus, that George would not be a fit for.

I think we are fortunate that we have Ballard. He has a plan

His plan and high standards, keep the poor trades to a minimum

• Like 2