Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arden Key released by the Raiders

Arden Key was just released by the Raiders.  It was only a few years ago when he was a highly thought of ER prospect.  I believe he is only 24 yrs old.  Considering our current ER situation I think he might be a good FA signing to bring into camp and check out.  Maybe Mathis could help him get going.  

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Arden Key was just released by the Raiders.  It was only a few years ago when he was a highly thought of ER prospect.  I believe he is only 24 yrs old.  Considering our current ER situation I think he might be a good FA signing to bring into camp and check out.  Maybe Mathis could help him get going.  

He gets no sacks. Raiders are now playing our D but never the less Raiders still saw no fit

34 minutes ago, tvturner said:

I think the last thing our edge group needs is an another developmental project who hasn't shown he can produce 

Any ER we draft this year will be another developmental project who will have to show they can produce.  As we know it can take ER’s some time to produce.  Adding one more can’t hurt.  That’s why they bring 90 players to camp. 

40 minutes ago, krunk said:

Id take a chance on Maurice Hurst. Most of us liked him at 3 Tech coming out of Michigan. Hes avg around 4 sacks each year. Kinda light in the pants though and 1 dimensional

Sorry,  I'm not following?     Take a chance on Hurst?

As far as I can tell,  Hurst is still on the Raiders roster and is very much a part of their plans.   I don't know if he starts,  but he plays and puts up numbers for them.    So, I don't think he's available.

What am I not understanding?

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As far as I can tell,  Hurst is still on the Raiders roster and is very much a part of their plans.   I don't know if he starts,  but he plays and puts up numbers for them.    So, I don't think he's available.

Read further. He got cut along with Key

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/15/raiders-waive-maurice-hurst-and-arden-key-release-kyle-sloter/amp/

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Read further. He got cut along with Key

Thanks!     There's no link here so I didn't read further.    Wow, I'm stunned!

My main concern, is that we passed on Hurst for 5 rounds when he came out (and I LOVED him!)  so, I assume his medicals did not pass our doctors,  so I wonder if we'd be willing to sign him now?     I honestly don't know,  but would guess the doctors not letting us sign him.    Only a guess.  

I think he'd be a great back-up to Buckner!

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

They cut Hurst?     Wow,  I sure didn't see that coming!    I'd love to be a fly on the wall to know why they'd just cut him?

I hope we kick the tires on him.    I was a huge fan of his a few years ago.    If the Docs clear him,  I'd be highly in favor of signing him.    He's got very decent production for a part-time starter.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They cut Hurst?     Wow,  I sure didn't see that coming!    I'd love to be a fly on the wall to know why they'd just cut him?

I hope we kick the tires on him.    I was a huge fan of his a few years ago.    If the Docs clear him,  I'd be highly in favor of signing him.    He's got very decent production for a part-time starter.

Not sure but Raiders run D was pretty poor. Maybe he was getting manhandled. I dont know. His pass rush numbers look pretty decent though.

31 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Any ER we draft this year will be another developmental project who will have to show they can produce.  As we know it can take ER’s some time to produce.  Adding one more can’t hurt.  That’s why they bring 90 players to camp. 

Kwity Paye and Jaelan Phillips aren't developmental projects

10 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Kwity Paye and Jaelan Phillips aren't developmental projects

Phillips may not be,  but Paye absolutely is.

That's what reviews of his work say.....    He has barely scratched the surface of his ability and needs NFL coaching.

Not sure what you're reading,  but what I'm reading says the opposite.

17 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Raiders have NO pass rush, they're desperate. So if they cut a 24 years old pass rusher, no thank you..

Which team cut Kenny Moore because they didn’t think he could play?  Patriots?   Sometimes a change in scenery can work out.  The Bellicheck’s and Gruden’s of the world are not perfect either.  

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Philips has concussion history. I believe he took a year off football. If Balard didn't touch Sweat because of medical issues, I doubt he goes near Phillips.

Jaelen Phillips is a monster compared to Sweat

I would be all for signing Maurice Hurst. As for Arden Key I would pass on him. I don't know why they would cut them so soon, but I did see they signed Solomon thomas. 

Just if anyone was curious RAS Score for Hurst was 7.75 and Key was 6.41

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/maurice-hurst/32004855-5250-1348-cfd2-5bfb51dbc5bb

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/arden-key/32004b45-5909-9037-774f-e67d2a30cb11

51 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Jaelen Phillips is a monster compared to Sweat

Phillips was the consensus No. 1 recruit in the 2017 class, and initially attended UCLA. In his two seasons there, Phillips appeared in 10 games, logging 4.5 sacks and eight tackles for loss. His career in Los Angeles was marred by injury; severe wrist damage as a result of a moped accident, sprains of both ankles, and three separate concussions, the last of which forced him to medically retire from football.

Now that's super concerning. I wouldn't touch him.

17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Phillips was the consensus No. 1 recruit in the 2017 class, and initially attended UCLA. In his two seasons there, Phillips appeared in 10 games, logging 4.5 sacks and eight tackles for loss. His career in Los Angeles was marred by injury; severe wrist damage as a result of a moped accident, sprains of both ankles, and three separate concussions, the last of which forced him to medically retire from football.

YUP.   

20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That's great and all

If he passes the Colts medicals, he's a steal at 21

There's a lot of talk about his injury past and none about how good of a defensive end he is

Every single player in the league can be forced into retirement at any point of a season

If he doesn't past the medicals don't take him, if he does you'd be getting thievery at a prime position with a dominant player

He'd be the consensus #1 DE and a top 10 pick if not for his injury history

He compares favorably to several previous draft top 10 DL 

Because i think they see better or more versatile players in this draft to go along with the guys they have or just brought in from FA.  Theyve already got Clellin Ferrell, Solomon Thomas, and Yannick Ngakoue. Arden Key has only 3 sacks in his whole career. Hes played close to 2 full seasons twice including last year where he played a full 16 games with no sacks. Hurst i think has a size issue and i think versatility might be another issue.  Hes probably also a liability vs the run.

9 hours ago, tvturner said:

That's great and all

If he passes the Colts medicals, he's a steal at 21

There's a lot of talk about his injury past and none about how good of a defensive end he is

Every single player in the league can be forced into retirement at any point of a season

If he doesn't past the medicals don't take him, if he does you'd be getting thievery at a prime position with a dominant player

He'd be the consensus #1 DE and a top 10 pick if not for his injury history

He compares favorably to several previous draft top 10 DL 

Passing a physical is easy, in fact I'm sure he already did. The issue is his injury history, and that repeats itself.  Head injuries don't just go away, it makes it easier for the next one to happen. He's had several, in the NFL I highly doubt he won't be knocked out over and over again. I SERIOUSLY wouldn't touch him with our 2nd round pick. Sure he has talent, but so did Trev Albert, and we saw what that got us..

22 hours ago, krunk said:

Id take a chance on Maurice Hurst. Most of us liked him at 3 Tech coming out of Michigan. Hes avg around 4 sacks each year. Kinda light in the pants though and 1 dimensional

How about Sheldon Richardson?  He was just released by the Browns to save 11m in cap space after signing Clowney.  Another veteran player gets released just before the draft when FA money is tighter.  I could see him signing a contract similar to Clowney’s to get to next year.  

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

How about Sheldon Richardson?  He was just released by the Browns to save 11m in cap space after signing Clowney.  Another veteran player gets released just before the draft when FA money is tighter.  I could see him signing a contract similar to Clowney’s to get to next year.  

Hes just a 3 Tech. Weve already got Buckner whos well entrenched as the starter. If we bring in another 3 Tech type guy economically speaking it makes more sense that that guy is a reserve player. Hurst would fit, or somebody maybe from the draft. Richardson wouldnt bc hes an established vet who wants to start and get paid decent money. We are not that desparate in this area right now really. Behind Buckner weve got Lewis who can play 3Tech and weve also got the kid from Penn St that we drafted last year.

Archived