Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rosenthal Ranks Ballard Number 1

On ranking GMs use of draft capital since 2015 Rosenthal had Ballard ranked 1st with his best pick being Nelson and his worst being Quincy Wilson

Ballard's reputation as one of the league's best drafters is well earned, especially after coach Frank Reich joined him in Indianapolis. Ballard will be dining off the 2018 draft for years, with two All-Pros (Nelson and Darius Leonard), another great starter ( Braden Smith) and a terrific role player Nyheim Hines all in the same class. The 2020 crop of Michael Pittman, Jonathan Taylor and Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate Julian Blackmon is proof you don't need a first-round pick for a draft class to make a huge impact. Ballard benefits in this exercise from having the job for just five years, because the more you draft, the more mistakes are bound to happen.

the rest of the top 10 were:

1. Ballard Colts

2. Kevin Colbert Steelers

3. Jason Licht Bucs

4. Brandon Beane Bills

5. Loomis Saints

6. Speilman Vikings

7. Robinson Titans

8. Jerry Jones Cowboys

9. John Lynch 49ers

10. Veach Chiefs

https://www.nfl.com/news/general-manager-power-rankings-nfl-draft-edition

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

To be clear,  Rosenthal is NOT calling Ballard the best General Manager.

He's calling him the best drafter.     And there's a difference.    There's plenty that a GM does that has nothing to do with the draft.

And he's making that ranking basically based on TWO  drafts,  18 and 20.     He's certainly not factoring in 17 or 19 in a positive way.    So, there's room for debate here.

Just saying....

I can't post long here.    I have to go back and continue to pray to my Ballard Shrine that I have in my house.   I spend a great deal of time there, and especially each April!      :worthy:         :worthy:         :worthy:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And he's making that ranking basically based on TWO  drafts,  18 and 20.     He's certainly not factoring in 17 or 19 in a positive way.    So, there's room for debate here.

Spot on! 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just saying....

I can't post long here.    I have to go back and continue to pray to my Ballard Shrine that I have in my house.   I spend a great deal of time there, and especially each April!      :worthy:         :worthy:         :worthy:

Killing Me Love GIF by Tal Wilkenfeld

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
32 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Obviously,  Rosenthal threw out Ballard's first draft. Lol

To Ballard's credit his first draft was a very weird position.  Ballard had Pagano as coach and the two of them had some very serious fundamental discrepancies about what constituted a winning football team - for example, Ballard clearly wants a 4-3 D and Pagano was a 3-4 guy.  Pagano was raving about Hooker as the next Ed Reed (I still wonder if Ballard would have made that pick had he has Reich and Flus in the building instead of Chuck).  To Hooker's credit, he was in the running for DROY and Pro Bowl until he got hurt his rookie year and he did look a bit better in the 3-4 than he has in the 4-3 (IMO anyway), though for the most part he's been solid for us (when healthy).

Mack was turning into a stud for us before he got hurt last year.  Grover Stewart has really improved and earned his big contract extension that he got mid-season last year.  Anthony Walker also produced multiple 100+ tackle seasons for us and was very productive for a late round guy.  While Banner didn't work out for us (sounds like a bad work ethic), he's been a starter in the league... Basham and Hairston have been OK for the NYJ and Q. Wilson was playing with the NYG late last season.

I may be wrong as of right now (current free agency) but I believe everyone of Ballard's draft picks from 2017 (his first draft) on are still in the league in some capacity.  My guess would be that he's the only GM in the league who could say the same (or one of the very few).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love him, and I really like that he's willing to trade back to get more picks. But there are risks. trading out of the first round in 2019 in a slot where Montez Sweat was picked, to then take Banogu in round 2 hasn't panned out yet. But maybe Ben turns it around this year.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you for that.  That made my day.  :funny:

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear,  Rosenthal is NOT calling Ballard the best General Manager.

He's calling him the best drafter.     And there's a difference.    There's plenty that a GM does that has nothing to do with the draft.

Just saying....

Draft weekend should be fun. I can't wait. I will be watching.

• Thanks 1

As an admitted Colts homer with blue-colored glasses on... I agree that Ballard is the best drafting-GM in the league.  But it's not like he is in a league of his own.  There are more than a few very good drafting-GMs in the league.

But on top of being very good at drafting, I think the thing that really makes Ballard the right guy for the job, is that he is PATIENT in every other aspect of being a GM (free agency and the year-long process of hiring/firing).  He understands that yes, it is a "what have you done for me lately" business, but it takes time and patience to build sustained success.  He's been building a culture first by building the locker room with the right kind of guys.

I think with the current locker room, the Colts will be perennial contenders moving forward with Ballard as the GM.  He is stacking good drafts, making smart moves in free agency and trades, and keeping the Colts out of cap-hell.  If he keeps it up, he's going to stay the #1 GM for the foreseeable future.

And that's not "Ballard-worship" either.  That's just saying that our GM is doing a good job so far.  There are a number of GMs in the league nipping at his heels, and one bad year could cost him his job.  Heck, one bad night at a bar could cost him his job.  But I honestly don't see either happening.  If he keeps up what he's begun so far, I see Ballard captaining this ship for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Hungry Mr Bean GIF

I'll be watching and eating 

At my age and stage and health...   I try to carefully watch what I eat.

But for the three days of the draft, all bets are off!   Pizza, wings, meatball sub, and favorite treats and desserts!   It’s a 3-day pig out fest!

Of course, once it’s over, it’s back to living like a monk! :peek:

• Like 4
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

At my age and stage and health...   I try to carefully watch what I eat.

But for the three days of the draft, all bets are off!   Pizza, wings, meatball sub, and favorite treats and desserts!   It’s a 3-day pig out fest!

Of course, once it’s over, it’s back to living like a monk!   :peek:

Eat wings.  Be happy.   Make sure you order all flats!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

As an admitted Colts homer with blue-colored glasses on... I agree that Ballard is the best drafting-GM in the league.  But it's not like he is in a league of his own.  There are more than a few very good drafting-GMs in the league.

But on top of being very good at drafting, I think the thing that really makes Ballard the right guy for the job, is that he is PATIENT in every other aspect of being a GM (free agency and the year-long process of hiring/firing).  He understands that yes, it is a "what have you done for me lately" business, but it takes time and patience to build sustained success.  He's been building a culture first by building the locker room with the right kind of guys.

I think with the current locker room, the Colts will be perennial contenders moving forward with Ballard as the GM.  He is stacking good drafts, making smart moves in free agency and trades, and keeping the Colts out of cap-hell.  If he keeps it up, he's going to stay the #1 GM for the foreseeable future.

And that's not "Ballard-worship" either.  That's just saying that our GM is doing a good job so far.  There are a number of GMs in the league nipping at his heels, and one bad year could cost him his job.  Heck, one bad night at a bar could cost him his job.  But I honestly don't see either happening.  If he keeps up what he's begun so far, I see Ballard captaining this ship for a long time.

I’ll post something here that will surprise some given my open and widely known admiration for Ballard....

I would not list him as the top drafting GM.  I’d put Pittsburgh’s Kevin Colbert ahead.  Ballard has four drafts to his name.  Two are great, two are very meh.   So I think his resume isn’t long enough to earn that title.  Colbert has been the Steelers GM for 10 years and they’ve always been highly competitive.  And if you read his draft achievements in the article, I think his far out pace Ballard’s. 

Maybe someday for CB, but I don’t think that day has arrived just yet.  What he does this draft may change the perspective of him one way or the other. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ll post something here that will surprise some given my open and widely known admiration for Ballard....

I would not list him as the top drafting GM.  I’d put Pittsburgh’s Kevin Colbert ahead.  Ballard has four drafts to his name.  Two are great, two are very meh.   So I think his resume isn’t long enough to earn that title.  Colbert has been the Steelers GM for 10 years and they’ve always been highly competitive.  And if you read his draft achievements in the article, I think his far out pace Ballard’s. 

Maybe someday for CB, but I don’t think that day has arrived just yet.  What he does this draft may change the perspective of him one way or the other. 

:agree:

• Thanks 1

What stood out to me was the guys listed as the worst picks were ones that myself and many others were clamoring for at the time.  Obviously not an exact science and very difficult to get right.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I may be wrong as of right now (current free agency) but I believe everyone of Ballard's draft picks from 2017 (his first draft) on are still in the league in some capacity.

Well Hooker is a free agent and Wilson is on a futures contract with the Giants. Hairston has been on and off practice squads, but he was a late pick too.

• Like 1

just like the rest of life...

it's all about what have you done for me lately?

as good as he has been one season of misses, he is a chump...

I'm a big fan, things can go south very quickly!

15 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Well Hooker is a free agent and Wilson is on a futures contract with the Giants. Hairston has been on and off practice squads, but he was a late pick too.

Haven't heard much about Hooker's progress on rehabbing his injury... but so long as he clears a physical (and wants to play), I can't imagine him not being in the league this season.  

I just looked -- it appears as Daurice Fountain is currently a FA as well.  I like Fountain, seems like a nice young man and it's a shame he had that ankle injury.  I think we're probably too deep at WR (I'd still like to see us add one more stud, but we've got a lot of talented guys battling for the 5th and 6th WR spot among Patmon, Dulin, Harris, JJ Nelson already) for Fountain to make our team... but would root for him if he got a chance elsewhere.