Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patrick Jones II DE Pitt

I discovered Patrick Jones when I did my mock at the beginning of this month.  And the more I read about him, and watch film on him, the more I like him.  No, he doesn't have the eye-popping sparkly athleticism as the top DE's in the draft.  But he has length, size, experience, and most of all production.  He won't be drafted in the 1st round.  Because he's not sparkly.  He may even drop to the 3rd round.  But I like him.  I like him a lot.

Also, drafting him would continue the trend of CB populating his defensive line with 2nd and 3rd round picks:

Jabaal Sheard, 2011 round 2 Cleveland Browns

Justin Houston, 2011 round 3 Kansas City Chiefs

Margus Hunt, 2013 round 2 Cincinnati Bengals

Kemoko Turay, 2018 round 2 Indianapolis Colts

Tyquan Lewis, 2018 round 2 Indianapolis Colts

Here's some highlight film on him.  And get out there and read about him.  You'll like him too.

For whatever it's worth,  Jones was the lowest rated DL at the Senior Bowl.   Evaluators said he had one of the worst weeks of any player.    Cost himself some money.    It's not clear where/when he gets drafted.

Same with Leatherwood...   lowest rated OL at the Senior Bowl.   

I don't know how that impacts Ballard, Dodd and the rest of the evaluation team?

Ok, I will not be deterred!

Yeah, it's true, his RAS is pretty bad.  As I said, he's not sparkly athletic.

But he does have some good company where he is on the list.

Chad Bratzke 7.64

Tanoh Kpassagnon 7.39

Calvin Pace 7.11

Dante Fowler 6.97

Marcus Spears 6.81

Jason Pierre-Paul 6.62

Elvin Dumervil 6.54

Henry Anderson 6.17

Mike Vrabel 6.14

Yannick Ngakoue 5.89

Jabaal Sheard 5.39

I just hope that his body of work playing at Pitt is a better indicator of what he could be than how he did at the Senior Bowl.

I can't see us taking him based on how he tested. Plus he looks horrendous at the senior bowl. His listed weight would have you think he can play with his hand in the dirt, but his play strength is not good. Gets pushed around alot.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I dont think he was the best pass rusher on that Pitt team

Agreed. I used to watch their tape to watch Jones at first, always came away WAY more impressed by Weaver.

3 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

I can't see us taking him based on how he tested. Plus he looks horrendous at the senior bowl. His listed weight would have you think he can play with his hand in the dirt, but his play strength is not good. Gets pushed around alot.

Agreed. I used to watch their tape to watch Jones at first, always came away WAY more impressed by Weaver.

Weaver is a target i wouldnt mind having between Rds 2 to 4. It may be too much but i sort of feel like we need 2 edge players out of this draft. Would be crazy if we got something like Paye and Weaver.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

Weaver is a target i wouldnt mind having between Rds 2 to 4. It may be too much but i sort of feel like we need 2 edge players out of this draft. Would be crazy if we got something like Paye and Weaver.

Elerson Smith in Round 4 is what I would love for us to double down with if we draft our first in the first 2 rounds.

I dont hate him, he has some good tape.

I think the OTHER DE on that line is a bit better (Weaver)

Jones is probably going to be available in the 4th or 5th round

At that slot, he is not a bad pickup

The fact is, we probably need TWO DE in this draft.

One early and one later

If he is the SECOND one, so be it....

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Elerson Smith in Round 4 is what I would love for us to double down with if we draft our first in the first 2 rounds.

I like the way he rushes the passer and he plays tough with great effort. Seems realky smart and Hes also got good strength and quickness. I think hes definitely a Ballard type pick we could end up seeing. Honestly his tape is better than Oweh by a good bit. Yes i have a few questions about the level of comp but i think he could cut the mustard. I watched a few clips from Senior Bowl practice. Didnt seem out of place.

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Heck i even like his interviews! Has a great attitude. If the Colts dont have him on the radar id be surprised.

21 hours ago, chad72 said:

Im glad you showed me him. I didnt know anything about him. Hes a real nice fit for how we play.

I truly hope we draft two DEs this year.

Its THAT important

One that might get at least some starting reps, one that we can develop for later

I think Jones COULD be one of the guys who has some measurables, that we pick up in round 4 or 5.

23 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont hate him, he has some good tape.

I think the OTHER DE on that line is a bit better (Weaver)

Jones is probably going to be available in the 4th or 5th round

At that slot, he is not a bad pickup

The fact is, we probably need TWO DE in this draft.

One early and one later

If he is the SECOND one, so be it....

So Ballard has Lewis, Turay, Banogu, Muhammad, and one of the new guys that can play outside.
 And history shows it is rare to find a rookie in any draft that is ready to compete against NFL level tackles. Ballard drafting 2 DE's looks like a Zero% chance. And if he signs Houston the chance he drafts Any DE's might be less thah 50-50. JMO of course.

I was really high on him early into the process. Like around November-December. But the bad Senior Bowl mixed with the bad Pro day/RAS score has me wanting to steer clear. I don’t see anything enticing anymore. I’d rather take Turner or Janarius Robinson

38 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I was really high on him early into the process. Like around November-December. But the bad Senior Bowl mixed with the bad Pro day/RAS score has me wanting to steer clear. I don’t see anything enticing anymore. I’d rather take Turner or Janarius Robinson

I am seeing Turner all over the place in draft position

I think he is a great prospect with all the measurables, that could be in a rotation and provide decent run support as well as some much needed pass rush, day one

The easy thing is to say..... pick 54......  But I think he goes in the early second round

This will be a tough draft day

We need 2 players from this draft to contribute this year.......

LT and LDE

I just cant see Darrisaw getting past Chargers, and Jenkins getting past Washington/Chicago

I also think Paye is long gone as well

If any of these 3 are still on the board.....  you pick them

If not.....  NO, GB and the Jets should get a call for a trade

On 4/14/2021 at 6:25 PM, John Hammonds said:

I discovered Patrick Jones when I did my mock at the beginning of this month.  And the more I read about him, and watch film on him, the more I like him.  No, he doesn't have the eye-popping sparkly athleticism as the top DE's in the draft.  But he has length, size, experience, and most of all production.  He won't be drafted in the 1st round.  Because he's not sparkly.  He may even drop to the 3rd round.  But I like him.  I like him a lot.

Also, drafting him would continue the trend of CB populating his defensive line with 2nd and 3rd round picks:

Jabaal Sheard, 2011 round 2 Cleveland Browns

Justin Houston, 2011 round 3 Kansas City Chiefs

Margus Hunt, 2013 round 2 Cincinnati Bengals

Kemoko Turay, 2018 round 2 Indianapolis Colts

Tyquan Lewis, 2018 round 2 Indianapolis Colts

Here's some highlight film on him.  And get out there and read about him.  You'll like him too.

He seems to set the edge well and has good hustle.  I like it!

On 4/16/2021 at 9:32 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I am seeing Turner all over the place in draft position

I think he is a great prospect with all the measurables, that could be in a rotation and provide decent run support as well as some much needed pass rush, day one

The easy thing is to say..... pick 54......  But I think he goes in the early second round

This will be a tough draft day

We need 2 players from this draft to contribute this year.......

LT and LDE

I just cant see Darrisaw getting past Chargers, and Jenkins getting past Washington/Chicago

I also think Paye is long gone as well

If any of these 3 are still on the board.....  you pick them

If not.....  NO, GB and the Jets should get a call for a trade

Yes I couldn’t agree more. The second round is going to be very difficult to read. I also do not see Turner going past the first 45 picks. He is getting more chatter about him. I would love to know how Ballard sees and rates him. 

I would love Darrisaw but as you mentioned he doesn’t get past LAC. They need line help bad. Paye I see going early along with Phillips because the DE position is not strong this year. We hopefully get Jenkins or maybe a move and still get Cosmi. 

On 4/16/2021 at 10:23 AM, throwing BBZ said:

So Ballard has Lewis, Turay, Banogu, Muhammad, and one of the new guys that can play outside.
 And history shows it is rare to find a rookie in any draft that is ready to compete against NFL level tackles. Ballard drafting 2 DE's looks like a Zero% chance. And if he signs Houston the chance he drafts Any DE's might be less thah 50-50. JMO of course.

You may end up being right, but lets be honest, these 4 are not playmakers, they are just familiar names to us on a roster.

We need some pass rush to get this defensive scheme to work. None of these 4 have proven that they can bring this on a consistent basis

When the offensive line was weak, we drafted both Q and Smith in the same year

I hope they take the same tact this year. 1 early, and 1 mid rounds that can develop.

Also, 3 of these 4 are free agents next year. We will have some churn next year.

We had better load up at an important position, IMHO

On 4/16/2021 at 11:23 AM, throwing BBZ said:

That looks like one of the weaker DE groups in the league to me.  Houston and Clowney would have been an upgrade over all of them imo

59 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

That looks like one of the weaker DE groups in the league to me.  Houston and Clowney would have been an upgrade over all of them imo

Even IF we do sign Houston (I am for it!).........We would have four of five DEs that will be FAs

in the next 12 months

Not a great situation

And.... if Turray gets 12 sacks, he will want huge money......

(I dont know if they will pay it)

Our current Defensive End group is one of the weakest in the NFL, maybe bottom 5.

There is really no other way to look at it

We have chosen NOT to address this in FA, which is fine......

That leaves the draft. and really ONLY the draft

Thats why I dont choose to get excited over bringing in other positions early than OT and DE, in the early rounds.

We need to get some decent prospects for DE this year, or we will be in the same situation next year

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Even IF we do sign Houston (I am for it!).........We would have four of five DEs that will be FAs

in the next 12 months

Not a great situation

And.... if Turray gets 12 sacks, he will want huge money......

(I dont know if they will pay it)

Our current Defensive End group is one of the weakest in the NFL, maybe bottom 5.

There is really no other way to look at it

We have chosen NOT to address this in FA, which is fine......

That leaves the draft. and really ONLY the draft

Thats why I dont choose to get excited over bringing in other positions early than OT and DE, in the early rounds.

We need to get some decent prospects for DE this year, or we will be in the same situation next year

To your point though at the end of the season Ballard said he had young talent on the dline and needs to see what is there. He wanted to see if anyone is worth keeping. This was said after being asked about the FA’s we had plus money we had. 

I see a draft pick being spent here but not much more. He wants to see if Turay has it and can stay healthy. What can Lewis do with majority of the snaps. Rochelle is young and could become something. You still have Mohammad who could take off. Banogu might take a giant leap who knows but Ballard wants to know. I want Turner to get drafted by us and allow him to blossom but that might just be a wish. Regardless I use to think Houston was an after the draft guy for us but I am doubting that now. Other than the draft I think Ballard is fine with the young roster. 

Archived