Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is this term used to refer to sports transactions?

A 'godfather offer' in sporting terms is an offer so good that it can't be turned down. It's something generous and favourable to an almost ludicrous degree and thoroughly beneficial to the team receiving (and almost certainly accepting) the offer.

The 'offer' that is made in the film The Godfather is not an offer at all, however. It's a euphemism for a threat of physical violence and death.

When we say, for example, that it would take a 'godfather offer' for the Patriots to trade up to #1 this year, what we're saying is that Bill Belichick is going to phone Trent Baalke and tell him that he's going to kill him if he doesn't trade him the first overall pick.

Can you tell that I'm bored this afternoon?

• Haha 4
On 4/14/2021 at 12:40 PM, Mackrel829 said:

Why is this term used to refer to sports transactions?

A 'godfather offer' in sporting terms is an offer so good that it can't be turned down. It's something generous and favourable to an almost ludicrous degree and thoroughly beneficial to the team receiving (and almost certainly accepting) the offer.

The 'offer' that is made in the film The Godfather is not an offer at all, however. It's a euphemism for a threat of physical violence and death.

When we say, for example, that it would take a 'godfather offer' for the Patriots to trade up to #1 this year, what we're saying is that Bill Belichick is going to phone Trent Baalke and tell him that he's going to kill him if he doesn't trade him the first overall pick.

Can you tell that I'm bored this afternoon?

I know this is SO RIDICULOUS!! I can't tell you how much this pisses me off. Whenever people say that I instantly get enraged and want to storm off. It's not supposed to be used for this, like why would a GM threaten another. I don't think those people know anything about the NFL. :)

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I went A B C.   I loved the Paye pick, Dayo is a high reward but high risk thing. I docked this a lot due to injury risk. That said, I’m okay with the concept of getting two potential impact players at DE back to back. If Dayo comes back to form, him along with Paye on the opposite side and Buckner in the middle with Stewart, should make us a dangerous DL.    I went C the rest of the draft but honestly don’t know much about those players. To me, once you get passed the 4th round, those other guys are typically camp bodies or special teamsters. Every now and again a GEM is found but right now, we can’t really say.     it’s why I hate giving draft grades at this point in the off-season. I mean the Jags have an A+ right now. What if Trevor Busts out? Or what if  Ehlinger balls out and somehow wins the starting job from Wentz?
    • He's like the fans.  For a split second, he almost got a little emotional talking about Luck, but like he said, you have to keep moving forward.  You have no choice.
    • What's the situation of Skai Moore from udfas couple of years ago? Anyone thinks he can make the 53?
    • Talked to Mr. Irsay a few times during camp. Always laid back and like a regular Joe. During camp in THaute they always reserved a room in one of the residence halls for him in case he stayed over. Never did, but I do know he made sure a nice tip was left for the housekeeping staff who would fix up a room that was never used. 
    • Guess he was signed for ST. Doubt he'd compete for one of the lb jobs
  • Members

• ColtsBlueFL

ColtsBlueFL 4,570

Moderators
    • buccolts

buccolts 2,569

• PRnum1

PRnum1 333

• MTC

MTC 1,650

Moderators