Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

Dane is one of the draft analysts that I respect the most and he puts in a ton of work throughout the year and this all culminates in his NFL draft guide. If you are subscribed to the Athletic you can see it there, but this thread is about his mock draft which he published today. It's full 7 round 32 teams mock. Here are the picks for the Colts:

https://theathletic.com/2512750/2021/04/14/2021-nfl-mock-draft-all-7-rounds-and-259-picks-from-trevor-lawrence-to-feleipe-franks/
 

Quote

 

21. Indianapolis Colts – Jaelan Phillips, edge, Miami (Fla.)

Phillips is a tough evaluation due to his medical history, but his talent is worthy of early first-round consideration. If the Colts’ medical staff gives general manager Chris Ballard two thumbs up, Phillips could be a steal for a team in need of more juice rushing the passer.

 

54. Indianapolis Colts – Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame

127. Indianapolis Colts – Simi Fehoko, WR, Stanford

165. Indianapolis Colts – Darren Hall, CB, San Diego State

206. Indianapolis Colts – Nick Niemann, LB, Iowa

248. Indianapolis Colts – Briley Moore, TE, Kansas State


 

 

How do you feel about that draft? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be OK, but I'd rather have an OT in the first. I think OT has more effect on the entire game than an Edge, who I would take in the second. Worse case, you can always trade for a proven Edge. Obviously, it all depends on who falls where, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t be happy about this at all.  Phillips is probably off my draft board due to concussions.  Eichenberg is too low an option at LT.  Fehoko is too similar to Pittman and Patmon - we want to be multiple on O, and I don’t see how bringing another similar young WR helps with that.  That’s a bit early for Darren Hall too (though I do like him).  I would be depressed for weeks if this was our draft, mainly because of those first two picks...

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

It would be OK, but I'd rather have an OT in the first. I think OT has more effect on the entire game than an Edge, who I would take in the second. Worse case, you can always trade for a proven Edge. Obviously, it all depends on who falls where, though.

IDK

 

I could really go either way. This defense end class is limited. BPA may just be a OT.....  in that case,

just take the OT

 

but, if available Paye or Phillips MIGHT be the BPA at 21

 

It all depends on the CB list

 

With the current state of affairs...... 

 

With our current excellent OL, If we had an average LT we would be OK

 

With our current DL, if we have an average DE, our defense wouldnt do as well

 

We actually have 2 holes to fill on the DL

 

We have 1 hole to fill on the OL

 

If we do it right, we might get both in this draft

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Archer said:

I wouldn’t be happy about this at all.  Phillips is probably off my draft board due to concussions.  Eichenberg is too low an option at LT.  Fehoko is too similar to Pittman and Patmon - we want to be multiple on O, and I don’t see how bringing another similar young WR helps with that.  That’s a bit early for Darren Hall too (though I do like him).  I would be depressed for weeks if this was our draft, mainly because of those first two picks...

I never understand takes like this. You literally cannot speak on injury history unless you have inside information on the situation. Obviously if the Colts took him at 21, they vetted him and feel more than confident its not an issue moving forward. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He jumps off the screen more than Paye does.  He somewhat reminds me of Buckner, but with the injury history, I don't see it.  Unless they make a trade or sign Villanueva or something, I think T is the pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I never understand takes like this. You literally cannot speak on injury history unless you have inside information on the situation. Obviously if the Colts took him at 21, they vetted him and feel more than confident its not an issue moving forward. 

I don’t have inside info on the situation, but the public info is too bad for my taste.  He decided to medically retire in 2019 due to his concussion history.  It’d have to be pretty bad to do that to such a high recruit.  He may have reconsidered, but I wouldn’t draft someone with that kind of history given what we know about the cumulative effects of multiple concussions.. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Archer said:

I don’t have inside info on the situation, but the public info is too bad for my taste.  He decided to medically retire in 2019 due to his concussion history.  It’d have to be pretty bad to do that to such a high recruit.  He may have reconsidered, but I wouldn’t draft someone with that kind of history given what we know about the cumulative effects of multiple concussions.. 

Someone (sorry I can't remember who) in another thread recently mentioned that UCLA has a rule about concussions and that after 3, they force you to medically retire. I haven't verified that info yet, but if it's true, it at least helps put into perspective that the retirement wasn't his decision and explains the transfer so he could play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shive said:

Someone (sorry I can't remember who) in another thread recently mentioned that UCLA has a rule about concussions and that after 3, they force you to medically retire. I haven't verified that info yet, but if it's true, it at least helps put into perspective that the retirement wasn't his decision and explains the transfer so he could play.

That could be something different, I suppose.  It certainly goes back to NorthernColt’s original point, which is that the Colts have a process for vetting such medical issues.  And if Ballard, armed with much more medical info than we’ll ever see, feels comfortable enough to draft him, then that should be good enough for us.  That’s a pretty valid point.  However, as we stand right now, just knowing that he has an extensive concussion history...well, I’d grade him down quite a few spots for that...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Archer said:

I don’t have inside info on the situation, but the public info is too bad for my taste.  He decided to medically retire in 2019 due to his concussion history.  It’d have to be pretty bad to do that to such a high recruit.  He may have reconsidered, but I wouldn’t draft someone with that kind of history given what we know about the cumulative effects of multiple concussions.. 

You just proved my point, considering you just made a statement that isnt even correct. He didnt choose to retire, ucla medically retired him, then he transferred so he could play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CoachLite said:

It would be OK, but I'd rather have an OT in the first. I think OT has more effect on the entire game than an Edge, who I would take in the second. Worse case, you can always trade for a proven Edge. Obviously, it all depends on who falls where, though.


Trade for a proven edge? 
 

What team trades a proven edge rusher?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

You just proved my point, considering you just made a statement that isnt even correct. He didnt choose to retire, ucla medically retired him, then he transferred so he could play.

Lol.  I already acknowledged your point about the team having complete medical info in my response to Shive’s post above, and admitted I didn’t know about UCLA’s concussion policy.       But, if saying something that “isn’t even true” proves the other person’s point, then I must point out that apparently he transferred to Miami because they have a better music program.  It seems he did decide to medically retire and pursue his other passion - music.  But then changed his mind.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Archer said:

I must point out that apparently he transferred to Miami because they have a better music program.  It seems he did decide to medically retire and pursue his other passion - music.  But then changed his mind.  

It very well could have been that UCLA medically retired him. He wasn't sure if football would still be an avenue for him based off of that, so he picked a school that had a good program in his other passion, music. That way he would be able to set himself up for success if he couldn't play football anymore and if he could, he was still going to a school with a good football program.

 

Honestly, we can speculate all day about his thought process around the decisions he made and his "love of the game", but unless he comes right out and publicly gives an account, I don't think we'll know. For that and the medical concerns, he seems like he'll remain a tough prospect to place a draft value/ranking on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Archer said:

Lol.  I already acknowledged your point about the team having complete medical info in my response to Shive’s post above, and admitted I didn’t know about UCLA’s concussion policy.       But, if saying something that “isn’t even true” proves the other person’s point, then I must point out that apparently he transferred to Miami because they have a better music program.  It seems he did decide to medically retire and pursue his other passion - music.  But then changed his mind.  

He didnt choose it. They wouldn't let him play anymore.

 

My point being anyways is, as fans, I find it odd that we write guys off or take them of our fan board, due to medicals, as if we literally know anything medically about them. Point being, evaluate the player, thats all we can do forsure. Imo he's easily the best pass rusher in the draft, so until the Colts or anyone says he's medically unfit, he's still edge1, imo obviously. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

He didnt choose it. They wouldn't let him play anymore.

 

My point being anyways is, as fans, I find it odd that we write guys off or take them of our fan board, due to medicals, as if we literally know anything medically about them. Point being, evaluate the player, thats all we can do forsure. Imo he's easily the best pass rusher in the draft, so until the Colts or anyone says he's medically unfit, he's still edge1, imo obviously. 

I agree - some of the guys that they’re billing as top pass rushers scare me a bit.  Particularly his Miami teammate - Rousseau.  But Ojulari and Ossai too.  Paye’s  a stud, though.  Oweh I like, but I’d have to watch a lot of tape to determine why he got no sacks last year.  But Phillips has got it all.  I suspect any teams that aren’t worried about concussions after his medicals will have him as EDGE1...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2021 at 11:39 AM, stitches said:

Dane is one of the draft analysts that I respect the most and he puts in a ton of work throughout the year and this all culminates in his NFL draft guide. If you are subscribed to the Athletic you can see it there, but this thread is about his mock draft which he published today. It's full 7 round 32 teams mock. Here are the picks for the Colts:

https://theathletic.com/2512750/2021/04/14/2021-nfl-mock-draft-all-7-rounds-and-259-picks-from-trevor-lawrence-to-feleipe-franks/
 

 

How do you feel about that draft? 

Wasted pick 1 more concussion and its over !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I honestly think that's the point of this visit.   I'm not convinced that is the case. I think there's a ton of pressure and criticism in the wake of not addressing LT in the draft and he has to publicly commit to the guy that is slotted in at LT1 at the moment. His statements about Tevi have been followed by "but we'll continue to scour the market", which tells me that they're not sold on him at all and will sign a FA if they can get an upgrade over Tevi.
    • Or.... they could conceivably move Strachan into a 4th TE role.....With an eye to the future. Doyle won’t be around much longer. If he can put on 10-15 pounds and keep his quickness, who knows?  In that scenario, both he and Patmon could make the squad. 
    • Hey now...Freiermuth went the very next pick. Considering they went TE with their 3rd pick (and probably a reach at that)...it was obviously a huge priority.   So damn close though. Just a brutal series of events for those of us who liked him as the next Colts TE1.   I would have been very happy with Marshall as well. If you aren’t going with the TE2 in the class...then grab the WR who many had a late 1st round grade on that put up big production last year when Chase and Jefferson weren’t hogging the targets. I actually think he’s a better prospect than Pitt...but the pair could have formed a very solid duo.    I still think my prediction about them drafting a TE and getting Ertz will come true...especially now that the TE they drafted is a different type of TE and similar to Burton.     
    • Correct. I do not disagree with any of that. I’m just saying that there is no sure thing and my point was that a lot of these draft grades will definitely change in a year. They always do. So I take them with a grain of salt
    • Really doubt Trevor busts. And would bet a lot of money Ehlinger never balls lol.    It's understandable why Jax is rated so high. Their first 5 picks were good. And when you have 4 picks in the first two rounds, it's hard to mess that up. Trevor, Etienne, Campbell, Little, and Cisco is hard to argue with.
  • Members

    • Dingus McGirt

      Dingus McGirt 1,662

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Pelt

      Pelt 405

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PeterBowman

      PeterBowman 1,491

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • krunk

      krunk 4,359

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Old Colt

      Old Colt 164

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dogg63

      Dogg63 2,215

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • wig

      wig 159

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PeytsBlocker

      PeytsBlocker 15

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • adubb84

      adubb84 413

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfan_canada

      coltsfan_canada 255

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...