Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Mental Health Initiative

Happy2BeHere

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-initiative-aims-to-help-end-stigma-around-mental-health-issues

I admire Mr. Irsay, he’s publicly disgraced himself a handful of times but he owned up to it every time. 

Mental Health has no bounds, doesn’t care if your rich or poor, young or old, strong or weak. It will come for whomever. God bless all of us who struggle with such ailments.

Mental health issues impact literally everyone. The degree to which people are affected obviously differs, but everyone will experience a mental health issue at some point in their life, just like everyone will experience a physical health issue of some kind.

I think the stigma around mental health issues has diminished greatly over the course of the last 3-5 years. They're seen by fewer and fewer people as a sign of weakness or lack of fortitude than previously. 

I think the next step is treating these issues as if they are any other health issue. Sometimes they're brought on through no fault of our own, sometimes our habits and lifestyle can generate or exacerbate them. They need treatment like any other health issue, and shouldn't be a source of judgement or ridicule like any other health issue. 

My dad suffers from mental illness. It took decades for him to finally tackle it. Trying to convince someone they need help was one of the most impossible task we ever took.  Even cost him relationships with two of my brothers. Wasn’t until his employer of 30yrs told him he either had to seek help or they were going to terminate him. He admits now he knew something was wrong but was afraid everyone would think he was crazy and hate him.  Sadly, not getting treatment caused more people to think that.  Hopefully, programs like this can help people reach out and not be embarrassed or scared.  

Archived