Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good post! People who complain about Ballard should be glad they aren’t Eagles or Texan fans. Sure, you can “buy” a championship team, via FA but I like what Ballard is doing. 
    There’s question marks on our receivers, CBs and DEs but some of that is health, some experience and just getting better. All three areas could be solid and even a little underrated at times.

Superstars rarely hit FA anymore...so I don't begrudge Ballard for not signing them. You have to trade for them...and that's what he did with DeFo. 

But there is definitely a medium between signing a handful of FA cheap backups...and signing a bunch of expensive FAs. And recent SB participants have definitely used FA to help build their teams at times, so it definitely has its benefits.

Ballard has really only been aggressive at addressing 3T. But that was also his 4th offseason.

Wentz wasn't an aggressive move...it was a value play. It was the cheapest option (in terms of cost and draft capital) that they thought had the best chance to work out. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Good post! People who complain about Ballard should be glad they aren’t Eagles or Texan fans. Sure, you can “buy” a championship team, via FA but I like what Ballard is doing. 
    There’s question marks on our receivers, CBs and DEs but some of that is health, some experience and just getting better. All three areas could be solid and even a little underrated at times.

Our attitude should be to win by any means necessary to win championships. Especially when you have the means. Brady wasnt the only star FA signing by Tampa that "bought" their Lombardi. Fournette, Suh, Antonio freakin Brown, Brady, Gronk. Not to mention they are all resigned. Not against what Ballard is doing by any stretch but which path to getting there shouldnt be as nit picked either. I like the long haul approach just want that trophy also.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Our attitude should be to win by any means necessary to win championships. Especially when you have the means. Brady wasnt the only star FA signing by Tampa that "bought" their Lombardi. Fournette, Suh, Antonio freakin Brown, Brady, Gronk. Not to mention they are all resigned. Not against what Ballard is doing by any stretch but which path to getting there shouldnt be as nit picked either. I like the long haul approach just want that trophy also.

I get the thought process, but the long haul approach, done correctly, can produce multiple trophies, vs a single trophy

There are so many instances in pro sports where the win now, at all costs approach, has produced a really good team for one year......  But... more often than not .... it has produced a disfunctional team that implodes soon.

The Jags are a great recent example

You may get 11-5 team one year, then 4-12 , for 2-3 years .......  

For me, the right mindset starts first, bringing in the right leadership, then the right players with the right attitude........

Of COURSE I wanted a DE in FA....  but.....  hopefully we get a little better this year, and can get deeper in the playoffs 

The Saints won the Super Bowl in Brees 4th year.

The Packers won the Super Bowl in White's 4th year.

The Broncos won the Super Bowl in Peyton's 4th year.

Brady - we know how that turned out. Moral of the story, if you sign the biggest name free agent, you better be patient waiting for your Super Bowl ring.

33 minutes ago, coltsva said:

The Saints won the Super Bowl in Brees 4th year.

The Packers won the Super Bowl in White's 4th year.

The Broncos won the Super Bowl in Peyton's 4th year.

Brady - we know how that turned out. Moral of the story, if you sign the biggest name free agent, you better be patient waiting for your Super Bowl ring.

Well, Lebron won in his 2nd year with Miami and Lakers. :) Mahomes won it in his 2nd year as starter with not many free agents added but the defense started playing better under Spags. :) 

Lot of things need to come together. With Brees, White, Peyton, Brady, the bigger commonality was the play of the O-line being able to run the ball to maintain balance and the defense playing at a high level resulting in key turnovers in the playoffs. That was also a factor for Mahomes and the year his OL did not show up, we saw what happened in the last SB, like with Peyton in his first SB vs Seahawks as a Bronco with not much defensive support and OL play.

Thus, the ultimate factor in all of the above instances - get good scoring defense / turnovers from your defense and have an OL that can protect the QB and help you stay balanced on offense come playoff time. Then your marquee QB can make the plays necessary when needed instead of being solely relied on to win you games.

• Like 1

There are those who seem to assume that a SB win is the only thing that matters. Obviously, it's what all fans, players, coaches, owners, etc want......but building and maintaining a wining team long term is just as important. 

Personally, I want the Colts to be a contender most every year. That is my hope, that is my dream. In 2006, things went right and Championship was won. It will happen again. 

Ballards two big FA purchases were right on target. I hope he maintains that philosophy. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Most of the players you mention are riding the coat tails of their names from pervious seasons and weren't brought in to be starters just depth, and aside from the playoffs didn't do too much to contribute through the season.

-Fournette wasn't a star, he was more of a reclamation project and was mostly a change of pace back till Jones got hurt. 

-Suh was signed in 2019 

-Antonio Brown isn't the WR he used to be, hence he only had 8 catches in the entire playoff run

-Gronk was mostly a nonfactor for a lot of the season 

In the Ballard topic I went much more indepth but basically to simplify it the Bucs have added roughly 2 FAs a year that became starters. At the Super Bowl they had roughly 8 (going off memory) FA starters, which may sound like a lot but to compare with the Colts we actually have more starters from FA and waivers (not including trades) than the Bucs do. The Buccaneers just have made some amazing draft picks the last 4 or so years and only needed a QB, which Brady was able to come in and push them from being a super talented roster to Super Bowl level team.

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Most of the players you mention are riding the coat tails of their names from pervious seasons and weren't brought in to be starters just depth, and aside from the playoffs didn't do too much to contribute through the season.

-Fournette wasn't a star, he was more of a reclamation project and was mostly a change of pace back till Jones got hurt. 

-Suh was signed in 2019 

-Antonio Brown isn't the WR he used to be, hence he only had 8 catches in the entire playoff run

-Gronk was mostly a nonfactor for a lot of the season 

In the Ballard topic I went much more indepth but basically to simplify it the Bucs have added roughly 2 FAs a year that became starters. At the Super Bowl they had roughly 8 (going off memory) FA starters, which may sound like a lot but to compare with the Colts we actually have more starters from FA and waivers (not including trades) than the Bucs do. The Buccaneers just have made some amazing draft picks the last 4 or so years and only needed a QB, which Brady was able to come in and push them from being a super talented roster to Super Bowl level team.

how many of our low dollar free agents could be starters on the bucs of other elite teams? they start for us because they are the best of the below average talent

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I get the thought process, but the long haul approach, done correctly, can produce multiple trophies, vs a single trophy

There are so many instances in pro sports where the win now, at all costs approach, has produced a really good team for one year......  But... more often than not .... it has produced a disfunctional team that implodes soon.

The Jags are a great recent example

You may get 11-5 team one year, then 4-12 , for 2-3 years .......  

For me, the right mindset starts first, bringing in the right leadership, then the right players with the right attitude........

Of COURSE I wanted a DE in FA....  but.....  hopefully we get a little better this year, and can get deeper in the playoffs 

But JAC is an example of what? The downside to being aggressive? 

In the past 10 seasons, they didn’t win more than 6 games in a season outside of that one year where they pushed. They don’t even sniff the playoffs, let alone a SB, without making the push that they did. If anything, it shows how much impact it can have on a team.

The Colts and JAC are very different org’s though. The Colts aren’t going to suddenly be bad...because they weren’t bad before.

24 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But JAC is an example of what? The downside to being aggressive? 

In the past 10 seasons, they didn’t win more than 6 games in a season outside of that one year where they pushed. They don’t even sniff the playoffs, let alone a SB, without making the push that they did. If anything, it shows how much impact it can have on a team.

The Colts and JAC are very different org’s though. The Colts aren’t going to suddenly be bad...because they weren’t bad before.

Of course the Jags are the poster child of NOT doing the FA right....

And THAT was my point, just curious.......  did you get the gist that my post was FOR the crazy FA approach?

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

Well, Lebron won in his 2nd year with Miami and Lakers. :) Mahomes won it in his 2nd year as starter with not many free agents added but the defense started playing better under Spags. :) 

Lot of things need to come together. With Brees, White, Peyton, Brady, the bigger commonality was the play of the O-line being able to run the ball to maintain balance and the defense playing at a high level resulting in key turnovers in the playoffs. That was also a factor for Mahomes and the year his OL did not show up, we saw what happened in the last SB, like with Peyton in his first SB vs Seahawks as a Bronco with not much defensive support and OL play.

Thus, the ultimate factor in all of the above instances - get good scoring defense / turnovers from your defense and have an OL that can protect the QB and help you stay balanced on offense come playoff time. Then your marquee QB can make the plays necessary when needed instead of being solely relied on to win you games.

I agree with paragraphs two and three.

The first paragraph is really two other completely different situations.

I won’t delve into the Lebron/NBA part. The Chiefs had their star QB still on his rookie contract, similar to when Seahawks and Eagles won their SB’s. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

how many of our low dollar free agents could be starters on the bucs of other elite teams? they start for us because they are the best of the below average talent

Do you even know who they are or are you making blanket statements to back your negative point?

• Like 1
On 4/14/2021 at 11:02 AM, Four2itus said:

There are those who seem to assume that a SB win is the only thing that matters. Obviously, it's what all fans, players, coaches, owners, etc want......but building and maintaining a winning team long term is just as important. 

Personally, I want the Colts to be a contender most every year. That is my hope, that is my dream. In 2006, things went right and Championship was won. It will happen again. 

Ballards two big FA purchases were right on target. I hope he maintains that philosophy. 

Ballard is not infallible, but his building for sustained, long term success is what I want from my team's GM.

The last time the Bucs won the Super Bowl (2002), they followed it up with:

18 years without winning a playoff game

only making the playoffs twice (including 12 straight years without making playoffs)

having a winning record just 5 times, with 3 of those being 9-7.

Maybe this time it will be different for the Bucs, maybe not.

But if that's what lies between Super Bowl wins, then you can have it. I'll sit in the section with Four2itus, chad72, Fluke_33 and Lucky Colts Fan, and enjoy being entertained by meaningful games almost every year.

• Thanks 1