Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper 2021 Mock Draft: A dream draft for the Colts? (MERGE)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31239949/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-new-two-round-predictions-top-64-picks-including-two-trades-six-qbs-needs-filled

In the first round Colts go for somewhat of a risk and select Jaelan Phillips, EDGE from Miami. I absolutely love Phillips and I think he's a top 10 player in the class purely football-wise... but... he's had issues with concussions in the past that made him retire once in college, before returning last year. Either way... if Ballard and his doctors OK this, I would be one of the biggest fans of that pick. Here's what Kiper writes about it:

21. Indianapolis Colts

Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami

With my first-round offensive tackles all picked, Indianapolis should address its pass rush, even if it does bring back Justin Houston. Phillips might be the best pure pass-rusher in this class, but he needs to improve his all-around game. He also has some durability concerns -- he had multiple concussions at UCLA before he transferred to Miami -- which means his medical checks with teams are extremely important.

And here's Kiper's selection for the Colts in R2:

54. Indianapolis Colts

Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas

The Colts haven't had much turnover this offseason -- other than, you know, the quarterback switch with Carson Wentz in and Philip Rivers out -- but one of their biggest losses was at left tackle, where longtime starter Anthony Castonzo retired. They added Julien Davenport as a swing tackle option, but they're likely to draft a tackle as well. Cosmi played both left and right tackle at Texas, and he looked like a future top-15 pick in 2019. I also think he could easily slide in to play guard. This pick is good value.

If you told me this would be our draft in the first two days, I'd be ecstatic. This would be a huge haul in my opinion... but I kind of don't find it realistic for two main reasons - I don't think Cosmi lasts to 54 and I don't think Ballard would draft a player who's already retired once because of medical concerns after what he went through with Luck. 

So what do you think? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • stitches changed the title to Mel Kiper 2021 Mock Draft: A dream draft for the Colts?

Meh, I honestly can’t get excited a bout any DE/Edge prospects in RD #1. 

I’d rather go with a CB, if someone like J. Horn falls to 21 and land a OT in RD #2. 

I think the Colts would be wise, to go with the highest rated OT at 21, and CB at 54. 

Ballard says he doesn’t force things, so don’t force a pick at 21 to try and fix the pass rush. 

• Like 4

This draft is more along the lines of where I have these players valued. The only thing that would make this mock better is if Indy were able to trade down to the end of the 1st and still get DE Jaelan Phillips while also adding draft capital. I would only be on board of course if he checks out medically and our front office believes he can have a long career. 

Secondly, I have never fully bought that Samuel Cosmi is worth our 21st overall pick. I value him more as a 2nd round OT, so getting him with the 54th overall pick would be my ideal scenario. 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/13/2021-nfl-draft-colts-mock-jaelan-phillips-samuel-cosmi-mel-kiper/

• Like 1

Oh damn... sorry... I posted the same thing... 

I absolutely love that mock for the Colts, if Ballard and his medical staff think Phillips will be OK. I don't think you can hope to get much better than this. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Meh, I honestly can’t get excited a bout any DE/Edge prospects in RD #1. 

I’d rather go with a CB, if someone like J. Horn falls to 21 and land a OT in RD #2. 

I think the Colts would be wise, to go with the highest rated OT at 21, and CB at 54. 

Ballard says he doesn’t force things, so don’t force a pick at 21 to try and fix the pass rush. 

Why don't you love Phillips? I think he's great. I absolutely love his tape(and he tested and measured great too... he pretty much has it all... except clean medical record). IMO he's a top 10 player in the draft if you remove the worry about his concussions. 

Didn't realize you already posted this, but here is my response to this mock draft by Mel...

This draft is more along the lines of where I have these players valued. The only thing that would make this mock better is if Indy were able to trade down to the end of the 1st and still get DE Jaelan Phillips while also adding draft capital. I would only be on board of course if he checks out medically and our front office believes he can have a long career. 

Secondly, I have never fully bought that Samuel Cosmi is worth our 21st overall pick. I value him more as a 2nd round OT, so getting him with the 54th overall pick would be my ideal scenario. 

Left tackle all the way for me with the 1st pick.   No messing around with that position.  Biggest need happens to match up with a strong class.  Not rocket science here.  Wentz and Ballard will say thank you very much and on to round two.

• Thanks 3
29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Left tackle all the way for me with the 1st pick.   No messing around with that position.  Biggest need happens to match up with a strong class.  Not rocket science here.  Wentz and Ballard will say thank you very much and on to round two.

If they take LT will most likely be Jenkins or Cosmi 

• Like 1

I'd be very happy with that.

Ts are all over the board after the first 3. I think it's very likely one of Radunz, Little, Eichenberg, or Cosmi is there are 54. And I'd be happy with any of the four. I'm starting to like Carman too.

DEs are all over the board in general. I'd be happy with Phillips if he checks out. I'd be fine with Paye, Oweh, or Rousseau too. 

• Like 1

Like I died and went to Heaven!   

Im sure some here would be fine with the whole “me dying” part, perhaps not so fine with me going to Heaven part.

Hopefully thats another topic for another day a long time from now!   

• Haha 2

I'd pass on the DE.  We need someone who will contribute without looking over our shoulder if he will retire early....at least I wouldn't take him in the first round anyway.  Also, not sure if Cosmi will be there at 54.

• Shive changed the title to Mel Kiper 2021 Mock Draft: A dream draft for the Colts? (MERGE)
7 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/4/13/22381615/mel-kiper-jr-projects-colts-to-select-miami-edge-jaelan-phillips-texas-ot-samuel-cosmi-in-mock-draft

21 Jaelan Phillips 

54 Samuel Cosmi 

Would love this but honestly can't see Cosmi falling to 54

When I saw this mock, I immediately thought "did Mel drop his tackles to make up for his earlier picks?". Not just the Colts, but Pittsburgh and KC both! This was more like a mock to fit general expectations, not the needs for each team. 

I just can’t see Cosmi dropping that far after his RAS score. It was just off the charts. He’s truly a great athlete. That gets him into round 1 IMO. 

8 hours ago, BProland85 said:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/13/2021-nfl-draft-colts-mock-jaelan-phillips-samuel-cosmi-mel-kiper/

This would all be incredible if it came out this way but I still have a hard time believing there won't be a run on OTs from 22-53. That's a lot of picks. That said we could always use the pick we gained to move back up if need be. 

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

This would all be incredible if it came out this way but I still have a hard time believing there won't be a run on OTs from 22-53. That's a lot of picks. That said we could always use the pick we gained to move back up if need be. 

Teams 22 to 53

forget will smith GIF

• Haha 1

There's no way Cosmi drops that far. If he does that's an obvious pick. The problem is there is so little talent at the position right now league wide. Yeah technically it's a deep draft but are you going to get the right fit? A lot of people have him going in the late 1st and early 2nd round. I'd even  say trade a 4th rounder and trade up from that spot if he's on the board past pick 40. Screw it. They made a lot of GOOD depth signings in FA and have a relatively young team now after letting some of their older players walk. He's already made his "experienced, locker room" signings this year with Rhodes and Hilton.  I'd also rather see Houston in more of a spell/backup role anyway.

And I do agree with Kiper here on risking Phillips at #21 if say Paye is off the board. He has to get one of those guys at #21. Otherwise he's gonna end up trading back. I can see it now. I'd rather trade back and get early into the 2nd round to grab Cosmi and get another value pick out of it than reach for a potential 2nd tier OT.

• Thanks 1

Man that’s a steal if that would happen. Phillips is the best edge prospect in this draft. He’d start day 1 and likely be a DROY candidate. His injuries don’t scare me. It’s the concussions that do. We know from Austin Collie that too many concussions can end a career early. But I don’t question his love of the game

IM PUTTING THIS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE ITS IMPORTANT. UCLA HAS A POLICY THAT FORCES PLAYERS TO MEDICALLY RETIRE IF THEY SUFFER 3 CONCUSSIONS. He did not “quit” as people so often say.

• Like 2