Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz playing in a Dome??

So i was doing some checking and the last time the eagles played us at home was back in 2014 which means Carson Wentz never played inside Lucas Oil before so i know he's probably going to be really excited when he steps inside the stadium for the first time to play. (minus the combine) that being said i wonder if he will put up very big numbers due to him being inside a dome? i really hope so

Well, I just read an article that said he has a losing record while playing in a dome in the NFL, so I hope he can.  Of course he's been in hostile territory each time he played in a dome, but...

He has played 3 games in a dome in his NFL career. He has 700 yards, 4TD, 5 INT and a 77.6 passer rating.

Not very good...but it also means nothing...with that small of a sample size.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

He has played 3 games in a dome in his NFL career. He has 700 yards, 4TD, 5 INT and a 77.6 passer rating.

Not very good...but it also means nothing...with that small of a sample size.

He should easily surpass those numbers  over the next two years:)

• Haha 1

Playing 8 games in a dome should only help him. Then add on another 3 games in good weather it is all a advantage for him. Colts are lucky to play in the South because they have good weather guaranteed in 11 games. 

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Playing 8 games in a dome should only help him. Then add on another 3 games in good weather it is all a advantage for him. Colts are lucky to play in the South because they have good weather guaranteed in 11 games. 

This year we will play 11 games in a dome/roof. (HOU, AZ, ( home games). 2 Games in Florida. 1 in CA. 1 in TN. The other 2 will depend on when we are scheduled as one is BUF and one is BAL. If early season could have nice weather. If late in season could be snowed in. So basically 15 of 17 games will be inside/nice weather (Unless rain storms of course) with 2 up in air depending on time of year

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yes, it seats a whopping 19k.  

And it’s the second loudest building I’ve ever in. Metrodome being number 1 when the Twins won the World 
Series in game 7 in 91’ 

We don’t need him to put up big numbers or gain some kind of competitive advantage from him playing indoors. 

We don’t need Wentz to be an annual MVP candidate who checks in near the top of all the stats categories. We just need him to come in and manage the games and do his job. 

It’s not all on Wentz. And that is by design. Our success isn’t supposed to start and/or end with him. 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

We don’t need him to put up big numbers or gain some kind of competitive advantage from him playing indoors. 

We don’t need Wentz to be an annual MVP candidate who checks in near the top of all the stats categories. We just need him to come in and manage the games and do his job. 

It’s not all on Wentz. And that is by design. Our success isn’t supposed to start and/or end with him. 

The Colts will need Wentz, to perform like Wentz of 2017, not 2020. The Colts didn’t trade for Wentz to manage games. They inquired about Stafford first, who is definitely not a game manager. Wentz was plan B and are hoping Reich can get Wentz back on track. 

The success or lack of success, will fall heavily on Wentz as QB, because the Colts aren’t dominant on either side of the ball. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Respectfully disagree. 

We're NOT the '85 Bears, or Dilger's Ravens or early years of Belichek's pats...  etc.....

We NEED Wentz to play at a high level, a level to compete & beat QB led offenses like Mahomes, Allen, and a whole slew of young hot shots coming up like Burrow, Lawrence, Herbert etc...

• Like 5
4 hours ago, NodakColt said:

And it’s the second loudest building I’ve ever in. Metrodome being number 1 when the Twins won the World 
Series in game 7 in 91’ 

I heard that it was loud.  Fortunately he won’t have to worry about that at home in Indy either.  

• Like 1

The controlled environment of the dome should help, but I doubt he cares being from ND, and an outdoors guy.

And what we need from him.... He doesn't need to be top 3, but he needs to be top 10. As said above, we don't have a D to dominate like past game manager teams have had. At the end of the day, there are many many more teams that win the SB with a good QB, than with a game manager. A good to great D helps too. 

• Like 4
16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The controlled environment of the dome should help, but I doubt he cares being from ND, and an outdoors guy.

And what we need from him.... He doesn't need to be top 3, but he needs to be top 10. As said above, we don't have a D to dominate like past game manager teams have had. At the end of the day, there are many many more teams that win the SB with a good QB, than with a game manager. A good to great D helps too. 

Perfect example was last year.  Brady gets all the credit for leading the Bucs to the SB win.  Which he did in changing the culture and playing controlled FB.  But everyone knows their D won that game.

You're right, we're a long way from having a dominating defense.  And as of right now, we're not even as good as we were last season, with the loss of Autrey, probably Houston, and a few other role players.  

• Like 1
On 4/14/2021 at 8:09 AM, Smonroe said:

Perfect example was last year.  Brady gets all the credit for leading the Bucs to the SB win.  Which he did in changing the culture and playing controlled FB.  But everyone knows their D won that game.

You're right, we're a long way from having a dominating defense.  And as of right now, we're not even as good as we were last season, with the loss of Autrey, probably Houston, and a few other role players.  

Yup. Brady certainly was an upgrade, and a role model of leadership and culture, but that D late in year was a terror. 

And yes, I'm worried about all phases of the D to be honest. Autry and Houston will be missed, and I think our run D will miss Walker. If we didn't have so many other big needs, I'd want an upgrade at MIKE.

• Like 1