Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the Next Pick (MERGE)

WoolMagnet

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I wonder who the character concern guy is we are thinking about picking... I don't think it's Rousseau. Interestingly enough I haven't heard many players having character concerns this year - Ronnie Perkins? Micah Parsons? Kelvin Joseph? There are some minor things about Jaelan Phillips possibly having other interests than football... I don't know. The Kelvin Joseph thing is scary from what I've heard - I've heard him described as the guy with most character concerns in the last decade. I've heard people professionally talking draft make jokes about "if you knew you are getting Aaron Hernandez type of production, but in year 5 you know he's going to kill someone and go to jail, how low are you going to take him?"... That type of concern. He probably is off the board for us.

To me, of the ones you mentioned, the character guy is Paye. His work ethic, his back ground and his personal story all line with a Ballard pick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

To me, of the ones you mentioned, the character guy is Paye. His work ethic, his back ground and his personal story all line with a Ballard pick

I meant guy with character concerns. Paye ... and most of the players mocked in that range really seem to be top notch guys. I don't expect Paye lasts until 21 though. 

I agree with an earlier poster about the wrestling part of the video being too long, but I think it's cool they do that and are able to rib each other.

The BEST part of this episode was Chris Ballard's shirt.  Norman Dale Basketball Camp 1952.  I need to get one of those!  I notice he wears a lot of Indiana related shirts and hats, which I think is very cool.

2021-04-29 13_33_13-Facebook.png

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I meant guy with character concerns. Paye ... and most of the players mocked in that range really seem to be top notch guys. I don't expect Paye lasts until 21 though. 

I'm a bit worried that they'll draft Phillips at 21.   He's been a great player when he has played, but there are too many question marks.   Lots of injuries.  Lots of concussions.  Quit football for a year for medical reasons.    I wouldn't risk it.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm a bit worried that they'll draft Phillips at 21.   He's been a great player when he has played, but there are too many question marks.   Lots of injuries.  Lots of concussions.  Quit football for a year for medical reasons.    I wouldn't risk it.

I wouldn’t sweat it.  They don’t use premium picks on risks like that.  ie Monty sweat. 

edit- Just noticed the pun.  It was not intended lol

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think it was @Defjamz26who found out that his retirement may have been forced by UCLA and may not have been his call.   The school has a policy of three concussions equals retirement, a protective measure.  

Honestly, I think we’re conservative in such things, so I don’t expect he’s even on our board.   But if we draft him,  then he’s been cleared by our doctors.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s good, but certainly not great.   They spent way, WAY too long on the wrestling contest.  That needed to be much shorter. 

And not nearly enough time about what made their process this year different than any other year?   

A little disappointing from what I was expecting.  

I agree I was disappointed to I didn’t care anything about the wrestling thing either. I was bored with it. Hopefully, the next one is much better. Maybe they couldn’t find much without them arguing...lol

11 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I agree I was disappointed to I didn’t care anything about the wrestling thing either. I was bored with it. Hopefully, the next one is much better. Maybe they couldn’t find much without them arguing...lol

I wanted to hear Ballard talk about the shortened season means less 2020 game tape to evaluate and how hard that makes their job.    And how no combine means it's hard to trust the Pro Day results.    And the lack of medicals is a terrible, terrible thing for all 32 teams.    Those are things that could have been talked about without giving away strategy.....   a missed opportunity....    but this year is like no other,  so I cut them some slack.    I'm just glad CB is willing to share what he does....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Payton Turner be the choice. 
character guy, edge, apparently climbing on several teams boards

Every time i hear "climbing up a team's board", I cant help but think of incompetence. LOL.

I think a serious club would have already had it's board set before the final week of the draft. Unless a player pulls a Laremy Tunsil, the board should be set right? The Colts should already have Turner slated somewhere, no reason for him to move up or down because of what other teams may or may not be thinking.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it was @Defjamz26who found out that his retirement may have been forced by UCLA and may not have been his call.   The school has a policy of three concussions equals retirement, a protective measure.  

Honestly, I think we’re conservative in such things, so I don’t expect he’s even on our board.   But if we draft him,  then he’s been cleared by our doctors.  

Turns out he went early and I think we got the better choice.   Woo hoo!    I am thrilled with Paye.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Turns out he went early and I think we got the better choice.   Woo hoo!    I am thrilled with Paye.   

Me too.   When Ballard called the choice one of the easiest he’s had in his career,  that’s all I needed to hear.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Me too.   When Ballard called the choice one of the easiest he’s had in his career,  that’s all I needed to hear.  

no one predicted him still being on the board for us.   When I seen him still there for us, I knew he would be our pick.   Dedicated, skilled, ambitious, an incredible athlete, great character, strong, fast, teachable and willing.   

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 1:38 PM, Barry Sears said:

I agree with an earlier poster about the wrestling part of the video being too long, but I think it's cool they do that and are able to rib each other.

The BEST part of this episode was Chris Ballard's shirt.  Norman Dale Basketball Camp 1952.  I need to get one of those!  I notice he wears a lot of Indiana related shirts and hats, which I think is very cool.

2021-04-29 13_33_13-Facebook.png

He got it here.

https://theshopindy.com/

I've spent way to much money on that website.

poor john travolta GIF

• Like 1

I loved frank passively pushing for granson and everyone picking up on it.  That’s what he does. Lol

i also liked when Ballard asks Davis if he has a chip in his shoulder.   “I’ve got a big chip on my shoulder”

The Whole thing has me fired up. 

Awesome finish to a wonderfully done series. “Feels” like they almost emulated the missing pieces of what made that 2006 team so special. Sanders, Mathis, freeney = davis, dayo, paye. 

I liked when Freeney talked to Paye. If Paye and Dayo can give us anywhere near what Freeney/ Mathis gave us, these two picks will be worth it. But that’s a long way off.
  Plus, we’ve never had a guy like Buckner and the other depth we have now.

I love Irsay's phone conversations with the players just drafted in this latest episode.  It reminded me of the contrast between Irsay and Pagano conversations after Hooker was picked.  Pagano's was cringe worthy and Irsay's was classy.

Another great episode and good to see they were all excited with each of the picks that were made.

Now, for a nickname for our two new edge rushers...it's "Paye-Dayo" for opposing QBs.

That's usually my favorite of the episodes every year and this one is no exception. I love watching young people get their lives changed for the better and most of the time thanks to a ton of work they've put in to get to that point. 

Here are some things that were pointed out by users on reddit, on several ocassions you can see color coded names on the board of the colts. We know that they called Kwity a "blue card" guy. This is their designation for high character guy, a guy that exemplifies their ideal of attitude, work ethic, effort... 

At 5:12 of the clip you can see the names of already drafted players before us as Frank stands in front of the board. According to that shot, the Colts had blue card designation to DeVonta Smith and Trey Lance(as well as Paye). You can also see a red color designation on Jaylen Waddle. Not 100% sure but I assume this is their injury concern designation. 

At 11:06 of the clip, you can see red color designation on Caleb Farley. You can also see it on Dayo Odeyingbo. The interesting one here is Landon Dickerson - he has BOTH blue and red color designation. Which again fits with what we've heard about him - very high character guy, great leader... but also multiple season ending injuries. 

At 13:04 you can see the following: blue card on Nick Bolton(LB, Missouri) picked by the Chiefs, blue card on Pete Werner(LB, Ohio State) picked by the Saints, red designation on Josh Myers(C, Ohio State) picked by the Packers. You can also see red card on Malcolm Koonce(EDGE, Buffalo) picked by the Raiders. Blue cards on Spencer Brown(OT, Northern Iowa) picked by the Bills and Robert Hainsey(OT/OG, Notre Dame), picked by the Bucs and John Bates(TE. Boise State) picked by WFT. 

At about 15:01 you can see a few picks before our pick Shawn Davis, there is a blue card player, but unfortunately I can't be sure how many picks before us exactly it is - seems like it's either Noah Gray or Darrick Forrest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's usually my favorite of the episodes every year and this one is no exception. I love watching young people get their lives changed for the better and most of the time thanks to a ton of work they've put in to get to that point. 

Here are some things that were pointed out by users on reddit, on several ocassions you can see color coded names on the board of the colts. We know that they called Kwity a "blue card" guy. This is their designation for high character guy, a guy that exemplifies their ideal of attitude, work ethic, effort... 

At 5:12 of the clip you can see the names of already drafted players before us as Frank stands in front of the board. According to that shot, the Colts had blue card designation to DeVonta Smith and Trey Lance(as well as Paye). You can also see a red color designation on Jaylen Waddle. Not 100% sure but I assume this is their injury concern designation. 

At 11:06 of the clip, you can see red color designation on Caleb Farley. You can also see it on Dayo Odeyingbo. The interesting one here is Landon Dickerson - he has BOTH blue and red color designation. Which again fits with what we've heard about him - very high character guy, great leader... but also multiple season ending injuries. 

At 13:04 you can see the following: blue card on Nick Bolton(LB, Missouri) picked by the Chiefs, blue card on Pete Werner(LB, Ohio State) picked by the Saints, red designation on Josh Myers(C, Ohio State) picked by the Packers. You can also see red card on Malcolm Koonce(EDGE, Buffalo) picked by the Raiders. Blue cards on Spencer Brown(OT, Northern Iowa) picked by the Bills and Robert Hainsey(OT/OG, Notre Dame), picked by the Bucs and John Bates(TE. Boise State) picked by WFT. 

At about 15:01 you can see a few picks before our pick Shawn Davis, there is a blue card player, but unfortunately I can't be sure how many picks before us exactly it is - seems like it's either Noah Gray or Darrick Forrest. 

Interesting stuff there. Trey Lance from everything we have heard is a really great kid. He really lights up a room when he does interviews.

On 4/29/2021 at 5:32 AM, csmopar said:

Character concern I think was the DE from Pitt?

47 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Character concern I think was the DE from Pitt?

Possibly. I know listening to Ballard’s interview, they decided that due to the lack of normal scouting activities this year, they were going to put a high priority on high character players with big work ethics

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Possibly. I know listening to Ballard’s interview, they decided that due to the lack of normal scouting activities this year, they were going to put a high priority on high character players with big work ethics

I think they should be doing that every year in the draft for any pick before the 6th round. I’ve made the mistake more than once of falling for someone’s potential knowing they were questionable as a person.  No matter what I did for them they ultimately made bad decisions became too much. They stunted their development, caused issues among other workers and were just a handful.  I will take a group full of good men that can work together any day of the week.