Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the Next Pick (MERGE)


Recommended Posts

I can't see Ballard, a calculating man, agreeing to getting a QB based off of a coach's crush. 

 

We were in a tough situation. There weren't a lot of fantastic QBs out there to choose from in FA. Stafford required way too much. The rest weren't worth the money and or were never realistically considered for trade. 

 

We were never going to be able to command enough capital to move up in the draft to get a rookie starter. So here we are. Wentz was simply the best option with a bad hand dealt. He's familiar with the system, he has a good rapport with the coaching staff, he has shown potential in the past and the organization deems he's worth the risk to "fix". 

 

Numerous NFL analysts are all agreeing that this was a good trade and a good fit for Carson and the Colts. Could this all fail? Sure, absolutely it could. But as of this moment this was basically our best option.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No... this will be me

From WTNP Episode 3:  We want a guy who wants to be coached, wants to get better, has high character, and has something you can point to that makes him unique. Is it me?  Or do these traits all a

To be fair, Rivers had a terrible season before coming to Indy and Reich said he could fix Rivers and he did.    Before that Reich got Andrew going on a return from injury and a long time wi

Posted Images

I watched both episodes so far. The first one was more in line with the normalcies on "with the next pick". The scouts showing their experiences of traveling in the covid conditions and how it affects them this year. Really had no issue with it. A bit boring and corny, but informative.

 

The 2nd episode grinds my gears a bit. It makes me warm up to Wentz and the type of person he is, but it makes me very nervous that most of the episode was about Reich and Wentz bonding over their faith. Obviously we can point to 2016 and 2017 and say they work well together, but I would of liked to see more about why Ballard and Reich thought Wentz was a great football player. He was the best option available no doubt, but I think this episode did a poor job of showcasing why he could be our franchise QB. He could be the nicest and most religious guy in the world, but that doesn't win football games. Show me something more on a show like this.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I watched both episodes so far. The first one was more in line with the normalcies on "with the next pick". The scouts showing their experiences of traveling in the covid conditions and how it affects them this year. Really had no issue with it. A bit boring and corny, but informative.

 

The 2nd episode grinds my gears a bit. It makes me warm up to Wentz and the type of person he is, but it makes me very nervous that most of the episode was about Reich and Wentz bonding over their faith. Obviously we can point to 2016 and 2017 and say they work well together, but I would of liked to see more about why Ballard and Reich thought Wentz was a great football player. He was the best option available no doubt, but I think this episode did a poor job of showcasing why he could be our franchise QB. He could be the nicest and most religious guy in the world, but that doesn't win football games. Show me something more on a show like this.

This is probably true There is a much better video of Reich from 2016 when they drafted Wentz talking about what he brings to the team. He talked about mental toughness ect. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I watched both episodes so far. The first one was more in line with the normalcies on "with the next pick". The scouts showing their experiences of traveling in the covid conditions and how it affects them this year. Really had no issue with it. A bit boring and corny, but informative.

 

The 2nd episode grinds my gears a bit. It makes me warm up to Wentz and the type of person he is, but it makes me very nervous that most of the episode was about Reich and Wentz bonding over their faith. Obviously we can point to 2016 and 2017 and say they work well together, but I would of liked to see more about why Ballard and Reich thought Wentz was a great football player. He was the best option available no doubt, but I think this episode did a poor job of showcasing why he could be our franchise QB. He could be the nicest and most religious guy in the world, but that doesn't win football games. Show me something more on a show like this.

Ya, the religious slant bugged me a bit too. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2021 at 10:41 AM, RollerColt said:

I can't see Ballard, a calculating man, agreeing to getting a QB based off of a coach's crush. 

 

We were in a tough situation. There weren't a lot of fantastic QBs out there to choose from in FA. Stafford required way too much. The rest weren't worth the money and or were never realistically considered for trade. 

 

We were never going to be able to command enough capital to move up in the draft to get a rookie starter. So here we are. Wentz was simply the best option with a bad hand dealt. He's familiar with the system, he has a good rapport with the coaching staff, he has shown potential in the past and the organization deems he's worth the risk to "fix". 

 

Numerous NFL analysts are all agreeing that this was a good trade and a good fit for Carson and the Colts. Could this all fail? Sure, absolutely it could. But as of this moment this was basically our best option.

 

To be fair, Rivers had a terrible season before coming to Indy and Reich said he could fix Rivers and he did. 

 

Before that Reich got Andrew going on a return from injury and a long time without football.

 

So my view is that if Frank Reich says he can fix Carson Wentz the logical thing to do is to believe him.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

One would think if the Colts were going to release the next video in the “with the next pick” series, they’d be doing it right about now!   
 

So maybe it gets released....   tomorrow?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NewColtsFan said:

One would think if the Colts were going to release the next video in the “with the next pick” series, they’d be doing it right about now!   
 

So maybe it gets released....   tomorrrow?  

They’ve been released at 7pm in the past

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

They’ve been released at 7pm in the past

Yes...   but typically it’s been advertised for hours, if not a full day.   They typically don’t release it cold without alerting anyone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

They’ve been released at 7pm in the past

 

Yep they have it set to be released at 7 tonight on YouTube.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s good, but certainly not great.   They spent way, WAY too long on the wrestling contest.  That needed to be much shorter. 
 

And not nearly enough time about what made their process this year different than any other year?   
 

A little disappointing from what I was expecting.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

From WTNP Episode 3:  We want a guy who wants to be coached, wants to get better, has high character, and has something you can point to that makes him unique.

Is it me?  Or do these traits all add up to Kwity Paye?

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

From WTNP Episode 3:  We want a guy who wants to be coached, wants to get better, has high character, and has something you can point to that makes him unique.

Is it me?  Or do these traits all add up to Kwity Paye?

If Kwity Paye fell to 21, I'd be SHOCKED.  Extremely excited but, shocked.  That guy desires greatness and is on a mission to attain it for not only himself but, his mother and family.  Would LOVE to see him in COLTS BLUE!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

From WTNP Episode 3:  We want a guy who wants to be coached, wants to get better, has high character, and has something you can point to that makes him unique.

Is it me?  Or do these traits all add up to Kwity Paye?

 

Sorry, I want a DE that runs over grandmothers and kicks puppies. He has rage issues, and born to kill tattooed 100 times on his body. He's only allowed out of lock up for practices and game days.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joecolts said:

If Kwity Paye fell to 21, I'd be SHOCKED.  Extremely excited but, shocked.  That guy desires greatness and is on a mission to attain it for not only himself but, his mother and family.  Would LOVE to see him in COLTS BLUE!

I actually think the chances of him falling are good. He will be a no Brainer at that point.

 

@csmoparif Paye falls to 21 and we pass on him...

 

angry the office GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I actually think the chances of him falling are good. He will be a no Brainer at that point.

 

@csmoparif Paye falls to 21 and we pass on him...

 

angry the office GIF

I hope you're right.  I think Dallas is a real possibility for him at 10.  They may very well go CB but, I could see them grabbing Paye.  If we were fortunate enough to grab Paye in the first and Eichenberg or another tackle in the 2nd, I'd be very pleased

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a couple players that if they fell to 21 that would be no brainer where you would take them and not a OT. If Paye falls that’s a no brainer. He has colts character written all over him. I also think If a guy like Smith falls I won’t be shocked if we took him at 21. He is another Marvin.  Put smith on the outside with Pittman and Campbell in the slot. That is so much speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I actually think the chances of him falling are good. He will be a no Brainer at that point.

 

@csmoparif Paye falls to 21 and we pass on him...

 

angry the office GIF

No... this will be meGIF by Giffffr

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

What if Paye fell to like 16-18. Wonder if that could be a trade up possibility.

 

Ballard said they won’t pass up any player with unique and special traits ni matter if it is a need. Now I doubt we would take a QB at 21 or a Guard. But I can see WR.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

What if Paye fell to like 16-18. Wonder if that could be a trade up possibility.

 

Ballard said they won’t pass up any player with unique and special traits ni matter if it is a need. Now I doubt we would take a QB at 21 or a Guard. But I can see WR.

People have wondered about trading up every year.   Every year Ballard says he’s not a trade up in the first round kind of GM.  Maybe not in those exact words, but he says it, or implies it, or infers it. 
 

And yet people wonder every year.  Even when we’re down picks and want more.   People still wonder....      

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

What if Paye fell to like 16-18. Wonder if that could be a trade up possibility.

 

Ballard said they won’t pass up any player with unique and special traits ni matter if it is a need. Now I doubt we would take a QB at 21 or a Guard. But I can see WR.

I doubt we trade up, not having already traded for Wentz. That was our “trade up” this year

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

People have wondered about trading up every year.   Every year Ballard says he’s not a trade up in the first round kind of GM.  Maybe not in those exact words, but he says it, or implies it, or infers it. 
 

And yet people wonder every year.  Even when we’re down picks and want more.   People still wonder....      

I think this team is in a different position now where we need quality over quantity. Ten draft picks aren’t going to make the team every year now we have built this team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

What if Paye fell to like 16-18. Wonder if that could be a trade up possibility.

 

Ballard said they won’t pass up any player with unique and special traits ni matter if it is a need. Now I doubt we would take a QB at 21 or a Guard. But I can see WR.

If it were I as the GM, I would be finding a way to trade up but, that's probably why Ballard is and not myself...lol.  I don't see him doing it.  As much as I would like to, his discipline and belief in his plan will dictate a stand pat or move down and gather more.  Solely my opinion and I've been wrong before.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I doubt we trade up, not having already traded for Wentz. That was our “trade up” this year

Oh I doubt it. But we don’t need a lot of draft picks. Ballard has done so good drafting. Let’s get quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

What if Paye fell to like 16-18. Wonder if that could be a trade up possibility.

 

Ballard said they won’t pass up any player with unique and special traits ni matter if it is a need. Now I doubt we would take a QB at 21 or a Guard. But I can see WR.

 

I just don't see us using draft capital to move up. It would cost us our 2nd to move up 7ish positions, and our 4th only moves us up like one position, maybe.... I think we're purely in stay OR move back mode given we're without a 3rd this year, and likely without a 1st next.

 

I think we'd take Paye at 21. I actually like Oweh better though. I think his ceiling is higher than Paye's. I wouldn't complain though we Paye, Oweh, or Philips (if he checks the health box) at 21. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What'd I get from this episode? Well, sounds like they're possibly going to take some risks on guys they might not have before. Whether character or health. Sounds like they feel the locker room is ready now.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think this team is in a different position now where we need quality over quantity. Ten draft picks aren’t going to make the team every year now we have built this team.

It's about early picks more than about 10 picks, but more capital is important, even with the team being in a different position now. 

 

To have a healthy roster, you have to pick up a few new starters via the draft each year, and several key depth guys. If you don't, you get FA-heavy and the financial side of things gets out of hand. We're to a point now too that some of the "hits" in previous drafts are about to get paid, and paid very well. It's as important as ever that we reload via the draft as much as possible with key guys on cheap rook contracts.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want to know who this bad charay person they were referring too. They said what if he fell in the second. Is that to pick 54 or is it because they want to trade back from 21 to early 2nd? Ahhh. I'm wondering if it's someone like Ronnie Perkins at 54

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

I really want to know who this bad charay person they were referring too. They said what if he fell in the second. Is that to pick 54 or is it because they want to trade back from 21 to early 2nd? Ahhh. I'm wondering if it's someone like Ronnie Perkins at 54

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Gregory Rousseau, and that it's not truly about "bad character".  Great length and hands, but a year since playing, only getting sacks against lesser interior linemen, disastrous pro day, stock falling.  Does he work hard enough?  Does he care enough?  Is he coachable?  Can you turn him into an outside pass rusher?  Is he gonna be Barkevious Mingo?  Do we take a risk on a guy with a lot of athletic promise, but question marks on whether or not they can be fulfilled?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Gregory Rousseau, and that it's not truly about "bad character".  Great length and hands, but a year since playing, only getting sacks against lesser interior linemen, disastrous pro day, stock falling.  Does he work hard enough?  Does he care enough?  Is he coachable?  Can you turn him into an outside pass rusher?  Is he gonna be Barkevious Mingo?  Do we take a risk on a guy with a lot of athletic promise, but question marks on whether or not they can be fulfilled?

 

Mingo still has a job though lol. In fairness, he was sub 250 guy with a track and field background, which was a very odd profile. He got hit hard with injuries early in his career too.  I'd call his draft selection a reach though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's about early picks more than about 10 picks, but more capital is important, even with the team being in a different position now. 

 

To have a healthy roster, you have to pick up a few new starters via the draft each year, and several key depth guys. If you don't, you get FA-heavy and the financial side of things gets out of hand. We're to a point now too that some of the "hits" in previous drafts are about to get paid, and paid very well. It's as important as ever that we reload via the draft as much as possible with key guys on cheap rook contracts.

Well said. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

Mingo still has a job though lol. In fairness, he was sub 250 guy with a track and field background, which was a very odd profile. He got hit hard with injuries early in his career too.  I'd call his draft selection a reach though.

He does indeed.  And has bounced from team to team to team, because each of them sees his athletic promise, and believes they can unlock his potential, but it never really works out.  He has no natural position.  He's been unsuccessful as an outside pass rusher, either as a DE or an OLB.  He's not had success as a 3-technique.  Nor as an off linebacker.  At the end of the day, he's a tall, long, athletic guy.  And that's what is gonna be written on his tombstone.  Rousseau has the possibility of following that same path.  It's a risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2021 at 10:41 AM, RollerColt said:

I can't see Ballard, a calculating man, agreeing to getting a QB based off of a coach's crush. 

 

We were in a tough situation. There weren't a lot of fantastic QBs out there to choose from in FA. Stafford required way too much. The rest weren't worth the money and or were never realistically considered for trade. 

 

We were never going to be able to command enough capital to move up in the draft to get a rookie starter. So here we are. Wentz was simply the best option with a bad hand dealt. He's familiar with the system, he has a good rapport with the coaching staff, he has shown potential in the past and the organization deems he's worth the risk to "fix". 

 

Numerous NFL analysts are all agreeing that this was a good trade and a good fit for Carson and the Colts. Could this all fail? Sure, absolutely it could. But as of this moment this was basically our best option.

I am sure he didn’t do it solely because of Frank’s past and like of him but I am sure it played a factor as it did with Rivers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

He does indeed.  And has bounced from team to team to team, because each of them sees his athletic promise, and believes they can unlock his potential, but it never really works out.  He has no natural position.  He's been unsuccessful as an outside pass rusher, either as a DE or an OLB.  He's not had success as a 3-technique.  Nor as an off linebacker.  At the end of the day, he's a tall, long, athletic guy.  And that's what is gonna be written on his tombstone.  Rousseau has the possibility of following that same path.  It's a risk.

While I agree Rousseau does have a bit of a boom/bust profile, I wouldn't compare him to Mingo. Rousseau is more prototypical at almost 270lbs. He's absolutely a 4-3 guy, whereas Mingo was sub 250 (barely 240), and nobody (nobody smart at least) really saw him as 4-3 DE. I don't think he ever played 3T. Every team he's been to he's been a OLB IIRC.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder who the character concern guy is we are thinking about picking... I don't think it's Rousseau. Interestingly enough I haven't heard many players having character concerns this year - Ronnie Perkins? Micah Parsons? Kelvin Joseph? There are some minor things about Jaelan Phillips possibly having other interests than football... I don't know. The Kelvin Joseph thing is scary from what I've heard - I've heard him described as the guy with most character concerns in the last decade. I've heard people professionally talking draft make jokes about "if you knew you are getting Aaron Hernandez type of production, but in year 5 you know he's going to kill someone and go to jail, how low are you going to take him?"... That type of concern. He probably is off the board for us.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • He would be slower in space than Walker. That got Walker fired.
    • Is it against the rules to play a 6-4 guy in the slot to run crossers and slants? Is .10 of a second difference not enough for 6-5 guy to overcome against a 6-0 guy that doesnt really know where you are going? With this type of size could be bully slot, bully X, big bullies everywhere then pound it down their throats with run game taboot. TY is a great Colt. The Ghost is also very fitting lets not forget, so he got paid to teach and mentor this year. We need a guy that cant be ghosted. We keep 6, Campbell plays TY, and we use our mismatches everywhere.  
    • I do not know. I'm not a GM, and don't try to play one on teh interwebs. ;)   This is what I do know-   Chris Ballard, Frank Reich and the assistant coaches knows a lot more about the abilities and skills and their fit of players on the roster than I do. The Pro Player scouting department knows a lot more about the same information concerning Free Agents and potential cut or for trade players than I do.  The Team physician, athletic trainers and medical staff know a lot more about roster health and the health and prognosis of our draft class and potential Free Agents on the radar than I do.   I would want to know everything that our teams Director of Player Personnel and the Director of the Pro Scouting department has on Free Agent tackles and how (much) and what areas are they better than any current player(s) on the team, and how their skill set better fits in with the team playbook that will be installed.   For injured free agents, I'd want full medical details. I'd want my team physician to examine and evaluate the player thoroughly, and have access to discuss in detail with their doctors and view their reports on procedures,treatments, and progress notes.  And I would be in frequent conversations with the owner and head coach about their input on the data that is collected.    Then hopefully make the best, rational decisions (or non-decisions) possible, maybe (hopefully) even one involving the salary capologist's assistance at some point, if necessary. Like Ballard, work diligently and smart, and avoiding the “living in a desperate world” scenario. And it's not about 'who' gets it right, it's just plain about getting it right.   What would you do?    
    • Im a bit curious on some thoughts about our big bodies. Do you all think it is absolutley necessary that these guys can nail every route on the tree? From what I gather its mostly about that. Would think having the size advabtage could negate some of that. Isnt that kinda the point? Contested or arrant throws happen on the perfect ran routes also. Seems we have a bit of trouble getting these guys on the field and producing.
    • I just watched the only tape available on Strachan online - vs West Virginia State. To be fair this seems like it was his worst game of the season, but he didn't impress me much. The CBs that cover him seem tiny and he cannot beat their press-man off the LOS. He gets jammed and his routes interrupted by physically playing defenders. There are several cases where he beats press-man, but it's mostly because of his superior athleticism rather than skill. He is a willing and physical blocker. Runs very limited route tree(mostly go routes and slants). He had some success on the move when he could release uninterrupted and the defender didn't have a chance to put his hands on him, but overall I would say he seems like a serious project.  Right now I cannot see him getting on an NFL roster. IMO it's very likely Ballard will try to sneak him on the practice squad unless he takes a big stept this off-season.     From his highlights tape - he seems pretty athletic against that competition. He does outrun defenders. He has good ballskils - tracks the ball well, catches it securely outside his frame, fights for it and attacks it in the air. You can see the appeal. I just am not sure he will ever be able to beat press-man and get open against NFL level defenders. People above compared him to DK Metcalf but Metcalf is a monster against press-man. He doesn't let defenders put a hand on him... he just overwhelms them with physicality and when they don't try to jam him, he is fast enough to outrun them.    My prediction for him is PS in 2021. 
  • Members

    • Grewich

      Grewich 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • throwing BBZ

      throwing BBZ 1,214

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Bleeds Blue

      Bleeds Blue 3

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nadine

      Nadine 6,728

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cjrulli

      cjrulli 143

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PRnum1

      PRnum1 335

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mr.Debonair

      Mr.Debonair 1,733

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mel Kiper's Hair

      Mel Kiper's Hair 2,413

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheEdgeis1

      TheEdgeis1 8

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Colt.45

      Colt.45 436

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...