Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My two favorite prospects 

Who you got if both are there at 21?

SAMUEL COSMI

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Texas, Cosmi manned the left tackle spot in former head coach Tom Herman’s offense. He was a right tackle in high school and as a freshman for the Longhorns before moving to the left side in 2019 and producing two years of ascending play and consistent results. Cosmi blocks with quickness and urgency in pass protection, usually marrying his eyes with his hands and base to stay square. He will give ground vs. power but uses sink-and-settle to recover and relies on his posture to create leverage. Overall, Cosmi lacks overwhelming size/power traits, but he wins with lateral positioning and strong hands to cover up edge speed and execute in the run game. He projects as a solid NFL starter.

TEVEN JENKINS

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Oklahoma State, Jenkins lined up primarily at right tackle in offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn’s offense. His versatility and intelligence allowed him to fill in at four different offensive line positions in college (everywhere except center), not allowing a sack as a junior or senior. Jenkins ties up rushers early with outstanding body control and works hard to stay attached, finishing with the kill shot and sending defenders into tomorrow once he gets the upper hand. He tends to lean into blocks and defaults to his power over technique, which creates occasional balance problems. Overall, Jenkins must improve his consistency, especially vs. arc speed, but he is competitive and powerful with light feet for his size. He compares favorably to Cam Robinson and projects as an NFL starter at tackle or guard.

Via Dave Brugler's 2021 Draft Guide 

I'm still not sure.... when I post my rankings there very likely is going to be a ranking of Jenkins as a RT/G and as a LT. And the difference will be not because I value LT more than RT, but because we already have RT so the value for the Colts of a RT is lower than that of a LT. 

• Thanks 1

JMO, but I think the comparison should be Radunz vs Jenkins, who both are very similar. 

I think Cosmi is better than both by a notable amount.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ballard and Frank are always talking team fit, who fits your team best.  Jenkins seems like a good fit to me, and will likely be available.  

• Thanks 1

Cosmi if those are my options but I’m firmly in team trade down. I like Radunz and would like to get him bottom of the first and gain an extra pick since we’re a little short on picks and are pretty much barren on the edge. 

• Thanks 1

5 years ago, I would have said Cosmi because of his experience at LT.

IMO, in this day and age, RT and LT are equally important positions. LT gets the love because it has long been considered the most important spot on the O-line, but teams today have good pass rushers on both sides of their defense. There is no such thing as “only plays LE” anymore, players switch and shuffle along the line constantly.

With that being said, you’re seeing the same thing in college recently. RTs and LTs both have talented rushers to go up against, so the only issue in a switch would be teaching the tackles to flip the opposite direction in their sets. RTs and LTs in today’s league can play either side of the line, it’s just not seen as such because historically this wasn’t the case. 

That being said, while Cosmi and Jenkins are both fine prospects, I don’t see Jenkins, as smart as he is, having much of an issue translating to LT, and since I think his upside is much higher than Cosmi’s, I’m going with Teven here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sam Cosmi is a better fit for us imo because he can play left tackle. However, I think Teven Jenkins is the better player.

Cosmi's lack of knee bend in his sets scares me a lot. He just doesn't play with enough leverage. If we take him I hope we trade down first.

• Thanks 1
On 4/10/2021 at 6:46 AM, stitches said:

I'm still not sure.... when I post my rankings there very likely is going to be a ranking of Jenkins as a RT/G and as a LT. And the difference will be not because I value LT more than RT, but because we already have RT so the value for the Colts of a RT is lower than that of a LT. 

So here’s a new thought that I’ve had when it comes to Jenkins. If Mechki Beckton can play LT in the NFL, why can’t Jenkins? I’m interested to get your and @NewColtsFan take on this.

However I would take Cosmi just because he actually compares favorably to Castonzo.

32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

So here’s a new thought that I’ve had when it comes to Jenkins. If Mechki Beckton can play LT in the NFL, why can’t Jenkins? I’m interested to get your and @NewColtsFan take on this.

However I would take Cosmi just because he actually compares favorably to Castonzo.

Becton had played LT the year before he came in the league. He was much bigger and much longer player and for his size he was much better athlete than Jenkins(not that Jenkins is a bad athlete but Becton was a special athlete for his size). 

I am still not sure what side of the fence I will land on in regards to Jenkins. 

28 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Perhaps I should file this under BREAKING NEWS:    I’m warming up to Jenkins.   Ive probably been harder on Jenkins than any other prospect in a long time.  Maybe I’ve been unfair to the kid?

The more I read, the more I like.  And Jenkins next to Q might become the scariest left side in football.

TJ is a 3 year starter.  80% of his starts at RT, the other 20% at LT.   And the analysts I read basically say right tackle or guard.   Since he hasn’t been able to hold on to the LT job, I've taken that to mean “he can’t”. 

But since he appears to have the tools, maybe what he needs is just better coaching. NFL coaching.   Maybe that’s why we’ve spent so much time with him?   Trying to gage his thoughts on converting from the right side to the left. 

Im hoping this is the case.  One more candidate to consider is a good thing.   The mire hopefuls the better.   A trade down that gets us a 3, plus then drafting LT/DE or DE/LT would be a home run start to our draft. 

• Like 3
On 4/10/2021 at 3:30 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Cosmi would be my choice.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:55 AM, DougDew said:

JMO, but I think the comparison should be Radunz vs Jenkins, who both are very similar. 

I think Cosmi is better than both by a notable amount.

I agree with both of you, but hope Darrisaw falls to 21.

Cosmi is the better prospect, but Jenkins is the more likely option at 21. I can't see Cosmi getting out of the top 20

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps I should file this under BREAKING NEWS:    I’m warming up to Jenkins.   Ive probably been harder on Jenkins than any other prospect in a long time.  Maybe I’ve been unfair to the kid?

The more I read, the more I like.  And Jenkins next to Q might become the scariest left side in football.

TJ is a 3 year starter.  80% of his starts at RT, the other 20% at LT.   And the analysts I read basically say right tackle or guard.   Since he hasn’t been able to hold on to the LT job, I've taken that to mean “he can’t”. 

But since he appears to have the tools, maybe what he needs is just better coaching. NFL coaching.   Maybe that’s why we’ve spent so much time with him?   Trying to gage his thoughts on converting from the right side to the left. 

Im hoping this is the case.  One more candidate to consider is a good thing.   The mire hopefuls the better.   A trade down that gets us a 3, plus then drafting LT/DE or DE/LT would be a home run start to our draft. 

To steal a quote from Jskinnz, "oh dear god". Never thought I'd read that from you especially with how much you criticized me for wanting Jenkins.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Cosmi is the better prospect, but Jenkins is the more likely option at 21. I can't see Cosmi getting out of the top 20

Well...    if it means anything to you....   I have seen Cosmi going in the top-20 no place.   

I think his great Pro Day means very little to teams and the top evaluators but more to fans trying to figure things out. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...    if it means anything to you....   I have seen Cosmi going in the top-20 no place.   

I think his great Pro Day means very little to teams and the top evaluators but more to fans trying to figure things out. 

I don't know how much that is true. Look at Zach Wilson for example. Did you see him going second to the Jets before his pro day or Mac Jones third to the 49ers?

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't know how much that is true. Look at Zach Wilson for example. Did you see him going second to the Jets before his pro day or Mac Jones third to the 49ers?

Find me the mocks that show Cosmi going in the first round?

I’m not seeing them on ESPN or NFL Network.  And I don’t think I’ve seen it on PFF, but I don’t follow them as close so I could’ve missed it. 

And your position isn’t  just that he goes in the first.   Your position is that he’s going top-20.   I’d like to see that.  

As for Zack Wilson, he was top-5 before his pro day.   If he moved, it wasn’t much. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not seeing them on ESPN or NFL Network.  And I don’t think I’ve seen it on PFF, but I don’t follow them as close so I could’ve missed it. 

And your position isn’t  just that he goes in the first.   Your position is that he’s going top-20.   I’d like to see that.  

As for Zack Wilson, he was top-5 before his pro day.   If he moved, it wasn’t much. 

That's my point. Cosmi's pro day will get him into the top 20 imo. I don't know about top 5 for Wilson, but for sure Mac Jones was never mentioned to go top 3. Teams fall in love with players especially when they watch them up close at the combine and their pro day

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have started to see these now. They did not exist before but I think Cosmi is on the rise in some circles.

Here are two below. One has him going to Indy at 21 and the other to Tenn at 22

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-three-round-valdovinos-april/2/

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-49ers-take-qb-mac-jones-dolphins-land-te-kyle-pitts-and-washington-new-england-move-up-for-quarterbacks

I warmed up to the idea of Cosmi but then as soon as I started to I started to think he could possibly not be there as well.

We shall see. 

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That's my point. Cosmi's pro day will get him into the top 20 imo. I don't know about top 5 for Wilson, but for sure Mac Jones was never mentioned to go top 3. Teams fall in love with players especially when they watch them up close at the combine and their pro day

Actually, it’s my point.   The Texas Pro Day was back on March 11.   One month ago.

Plenty of mocks have come out since then.  As best I can tell, no one has moved Cosmi up.   I don’t understand it.  I would’ve thought that performance would’ve really helped, yet I don’t see it — anywhere. 

I hope he gets moved up.  I hope he’s under consideration.   I’d be thrilled if we took him.   But so far, I don’t see it. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually, it’s my point.   The Texas Pro Day was back on March 11.   One month ago.

Plenty of mocks have come out since then.  As best I can tell, no one has moved Cosmi up.   I don’t understand it.  I would’ve thought that performance would’ve really helped, yet I don’t see it — anywhere. 

I hope he gets moved up.  I hope he’s under consideration.   I’d be thrilled if we took him.   But so far, I don’t see it. 

If he is there at 21 there is no doubt in my mind you take him 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He was more of a early second round pick. One of the posters already showed two mocks with him in the 20s. I just think he'll go earlier. We'll see in a few weeks.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He was more of a early second round pick. One of the posters already showed two mocks with him in the 20s. I just think he'll go earlier. We'll see in a few weeks.

For what it’s worth....

Over on ESPN, McShay and his crew have Cosmi ranked 57th overall.   Kiper’s list won’t come out until draft week, but he doesn’t have Cosmi as a Top-10 tackle, but he has Cosmi as his #2 guard.  Not a typo. 

Over at NFLNetwork, Jeremiah does not have Cosmi as a top-50 player.  And Zierlein has him 64th overall. 

So I’m not sure how much love is out there for our boy?

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth....

Over on ESPN, McShay and his crew have Cosmi ranked 57th overall.   Kiper’s list won’t come out until draft week, but he doesn’t have Cosmi as a Top-10 tackle, but he has Cosmi as his #2 guard.  Not a typo. 

Over at NFLNetwork, Jeremiah does not have Cosmi as a top-50 player.  And Zierlein has him 64th overall. 

So I’m not sure how much love is out there for our boy?

Cosmi is definitely LT material 

Oh BTW Who the hell is Mel Kiper?

• Like 1

One of the guys that I like to watch, particularly on OL and DL is Voch Lombardi

He gives some great insite, worth a watch.

He also is very high on Jenkins, less on Cosmi

31 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

One of the guys that I like to watch, particularly on OL and DL is Voch Lombardi

He gives some great insite, worth a watch.

He also is very high on Jenkins, less on Cosmi

Jenkins is definitely better player than Cosmi right now and at his original position RT. I'm not sure he will be better player than Cosmi at LT for the future.

• Like 2

I will say that both prospects look like good NFL caliber guys. Cosmi has moved into late first round talk but unless there is a run on Tackles (very possible) I see him being there in the early second round. Jenkins to me is more likely an early to late 20’s pick. 

Cosmi is a good athlete with a lot of upside at LT. If he takes to coaching he can be a very solid LT allowing us to have a dominant left side. He just will need a year or two IMO. 

Jenkins reminds me of a Braden Smith type player. Smith did play Guard at Auburn but had great technique even though he has short arms many believed Guard was it for him. Jenkins appears to be the opposite. Playing RT but being looked at as only IOL by some because of length. Now the comparison to Smith comes with his solid technique. I have mentioned that Jenkins to me was a Guard but he just has that play style you want and I don’t see his length being that huge of an impact since he has good form already. 

I do see a run on OL guys making Ballard not trade back. If he was to trade back it would need to be only a hand full of picks IMO. Definitely not dropping out of the first. KC is for sure taking a tackle at the end of the round. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, stitches said:

Jenkins is definitely better player than Cosmi right now and at his original position RT. I'm not sure he will be better player than Cosmi at LT for the future.

Actually that’s a very reasonable take. I think it’s easier to project Cosmi to LT than it is Jenkins. Cosmi might be the Kolton Miller of this draft. Super toolsy guy that will struggle a bit, but eventually blossom into a pod LT.

The projection is harder for Jenkins but I still think he can do it. If we can turn Braden Smith into a RT, then we should be able to turn Jenkins into a LT. Jenkins also has tape of him absolutely owning Joseph Ossai who might also be a 1st round pick.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Its hard to forecast how either will do.... my crystal ball broke when my wife threw it at me.......  :)

EVERY one of the OTs that we might draft at 21 have some holes........

I do think that Jenkins could play RT, LG, RG with ease, at a pro bowl level, .....day one

I truly dont know about LT, but I think Jenkins MIGHT be a pro bowl player there as well.

I dont think Cosmi could play anything but LT 

If you draft Cosmi, and he doesnt work out at LT, (A REAL possibility, just like anyone at 21) he becomes a backup

If you draft Jenkins, if he doesnt work out at LT, he will be a high level starter at another spot on the Colts line

If you look at the LT spot on run downs, Jenkins would be a clear edge over Cosmi.......

Cosmi seems to have better feet than Jenkins, but Jenkins kept up with some very fast, DEs that will be drafted from the right side.

His feet were good enough for these speed rushers. His biggest strength is getting his hands on the DE and shutting it down.

For example, 

Ossai from Texas is a very good DE day 2 prospect...... 

Jenkins drove Ossai from the LOS to the bench.... not just sideline.... but to the bench

He also "rag dolled" the guy on a few plays

The strength in Jenkins hands and his ability to hand fight, mitigates some of the speed rushers ability. to get past him. He mirrors them, then locks them down with the legalized holding in the NFL

Lastly...... the attitude that Jenkins brings to line matches and helps drive the others

So...... I like both prospects, and would be happy with either, but I'm shifting to wanting Jenkins over Cosmi at 21 

If Darrisaw slid to us (I doubt it) I would have a tough decision

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its hard to forecast how either will do.... my crystal ball broke when my wife threw it at me.......  :)

EVERY one of the OTs that we might draft at 21 have some holes........

I do think that Jenkins could play RT, LG, RG with ease, at a pro bowl level, .....day one

I truly dont know about LT, but I think Jenkins MIGHT be a pro bowl player there as well.

I dont think Cosmi could play anything but LT 

If you draft Cosmi, and he doesnt work out at LT, (A REAL possibility, just like anyone at 21) he becomes a backup

If you draft Jenkins, if he doesnt work out at LT, he will be a high level starter at another spot on the Colts line

I disagree and think Cosmi could still play Guard if LT did not work. With his athleticism and footwork plus a year or two in the NFL strength program he could honestly be a better guard than tackle IMO. I like him as a LT though. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I will say that both prospects look like good NFL caliber guys. Cosmi has moved into late first round talk but unless there is a run on Tackles (very possible) I see him being there in the early second round. Jenkins to me is more likely an early to late 20’s pick. 

Cosmi is a good athlete with a lot of upside at LT. If he takes to coaching he can be a very solid LT allowing us to have a dominant left side. He just will need a year or two IMO. 

Jenkins reminds me of a Braden Smith type player. Smith did play Guard at Auburn but had great technique even though he has short arms many believed Guard was it for him. Jenkins appears to be the opposite. Playing RT but being looked at as only IOL by some because of length. Now the comparison to Smith comes with his solid technique. I have mentioned that Jenkins to me was a Guard but he just has that play style you want and I don’t see his length being that huge of an impact since he has good form already. 

I do see a run on OL guys making Ballard not trade back. If he was to trade back it would need to be only a hand full of picks IMO. Definitely not dropping out of the first. KC is for sure taking a tackle at the end of the round. 

I also think there will be a run on OL guys and because of that I can see Ballard taking a tackle at 21.  If he does trade back I think it would be with a team like Cleveland at 26. Not too far back.  KC is lurking for sure.  And any of the last four could take a tackle.  I can't see Ballard taking a big chance here.  As an outlier I could also see Ballard trading up in the 2nd rd to get a player he likes.  Could be a WR to replace Hilton in a year for example.  Maybe a TE if Tremble is appealing to them.  I can see him drafting into the strength of the draft early.  I'm more inclined to think he will go with our current young DL players and see what they have this year.  Need to sign a veteran FA there as well.  

Another point, noted by NCF, is that Cosmi is being rated lower and lower, by some of the known talent evaluators....   

Not that this is Gospel, but I would think some of the evaluators, at this point are talking to NFL scouts.....

But again, the draft is always full of surprises.....

• Like 1

Honestly might come do to if we trade down or not. If we do trade, we have to look at who who we can get if we trade down. But then you run into the same issues. It could be Cosmi or it could be Jenkins there. As NCF has indicated, there’s a lot of people who have Cosmi available in the 2nd. 

I am just hopeful that the Colts are able to draft one of top LT's at 21.  I know the top 3 or 4 will most likely be gone, but there is a very good chance they are able to get one that can start day 1. 

It just makes sense in so many ways.  LT is a premier position and keeping the cost down on a 5 year rookie deal would certainly help with extending Q and Smith.  Kelly already has his extension and that would leave RG as the only spot that wouldn't be locked down over the next few years.  RG is arguably the easiest position to fill on the Offensive Line.  You also have to consider that the Colts want Wentz to ease in and there is no better way than with competent pass protection and a good running game.  I can see Offensive Line dominating the LOS and wearing other teams down while keeping their offense off the field.  Anyone who watched Peyton grimace on the sidelines can surely agree with that :thmup:.

• Like 1