Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher Report 2020 Re-Draft

Mackrel829

Randomly came across this article from Bleacher Report this morning. It's a Re-Draft of the 2020 NFL, and has Julian Blackmon going at #19 and Jonathan Taylor going at #24.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2939601-re-drafting-the-2020-nfl-draft.amp.html

So we didn't have a first round pick last year, but ended up with two first round prospects.

Not bad.

11 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

Randomly came across this article from Bleacher Report this morning. It's a Re-Draft of the 2020 NFL, and has Julian Blackmon going at #19 and Jonathan Taylor going at #24.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2939601-re-drafting-the-2020-nfl-draft.amp.html

So we didn't have a first round pick last year, but ended up with two first round prospects.

Not bad.

Out 2020 draft has been graded very highly.   I don’t remember which was which,  but ESPN and the NFL network graded our draft.   One had it ranked first, the other had it ranked second.   Not too bad at all. 

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I think Ballard’s 2020 draft, was his best draft in terms of player contribution top to bottom. At least six players played significant snaps. Impressive indeed. 

I think you have to go with 2018.

In 2020, 3 played mostly special teams, with 3 playing O/D.

In 18, we got 6 contributing on O/D plus 2 STs. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think you have to go with 2018.

In 2020, 3 played mostly special teams, with 3 playing O/D.

In 18, we got 6 contributing on O/D plus 2 STs. 

Should’ve probably elaborated a little bit more, that I think in terms of draft position and picks, the Colts 2020 draft was the most impressive to me with Ballard. 

The 2018 draft was excellent, but let’s face, Nelson was the best position player in that draft by far and he traded down to get him, while acquiring additional picks.

The Leonard selection to date, is by Ballard’s best draft pick IMO. 

25 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Should’ve probably elaborated a little bit more, that I think in terms of draft position and picks, the Colts 2020 draft was the most impressive to me with Ballard. 

The 2018 draft was excellent, but let’s face, Nelson was the best position player in that draft by far and he traded down to get him, while acquiring additional picks.

Agreed with your thinking.  While 2018 was a great draft, its not like it took genius GM acumen to make that trade down and still get an elite player. 

Trading for Buckner, selecting Pittman, Taylor, and Blackmon...trading up for Taylor ahead of the Jags, was more impressive decision making, IMO.

As well as the total ramp up to the draft that contributed to the Taylor and Blackmon selection, IOW, he did not give Hooker the 5th year option and did not commit to Mack.

9 minutes ago, MPStack said:

in 18, we drafted 3 (Nelson, Smith, Leonard) guys that are top 10 or better at their positions, and were quickly very good. Then add in Hines who almost set rook records for receiving.

Then you have Turay, Lewis, and Wilkins who have all contributed, or are expected to contribute. Then you have Adams and Franklin on STs.

In 2020, We have a top 10ish RB who was rated/ranked the 2nd best RB in the draft, and Pittman, who was rated/ranked the best X in the draft. We should expect both to be good, and I think they will. Pittman has a ways to go though. Blackmon played great early, very poorly late. Then you have 3 STs guys.

IDK, I don't think it's even close.

1 minute ago, DEFENSE said:

ballard struck out on the 2019 draft, not good for a gm whose method depends on better than average drafting

Definitely not a good draft, and every GM is going to have a bad draft. 

With that being said, if Ballard is going to mostly and exclusively build through the draft, he needs more drafts like 2020 IMO. 

The Colts won’t be drafting top 10 for quite some time. 

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

in 18, we drafted 3 (Nelson, Smith, Leonard) guys that are top 10 or better at their positions, and were quickly very good. Then add in Hines who almost set rook records for receiving.

Then you have Turay, Lewis, and Wilkins who have all contributed, or are expected to contribute. Then you have Adams and Franklin on STs.

In 2020, We have a top 10ish RB who was rated/ranked the 2nd best RB in the draft, and Pittman, who was rated/ranked the best X in the draft. We should expect both to be good, and I think they will. Pittman has a ways to go though. Blackmon played great early, very poorly late. Then you have 3 STs guys.

IDK, I don't think it's even close.

Ballard had more assets in 2018, than 2020,  not arguing with the overall production of 18’s draft versus 20’s draft. 

I think Ballard got more value out of the 2020 draft in terms of picks and position, than 2018. 

5 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

Not bad.

You could also argue Michael Pittman Jr. should be highly considered in that 1st round also. 

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

Ballard had more assets in 2018, than 2020,  not arguing with the overall production of 18’s draft versus 20’s draft. 

I think Ballard got more value out of the 2020 draft in terms of picks and position, than 2018. 

I think I might agree. It's super close for me.

Production and overall quality of player is far higher in '18's class, but 20's might win in terms of quality of player vs. draft position. Nelson is a top 2-3 player at his position, but if you're drafting a guard at #6 then he better be.

With that being said, Leonard and Smith were each phenomenal value at the position that they were taken, and Wilkins relatively limited role is more a reflection of how good our RB room is rather than how good a player he is.

I changed my mind. I think '20 was better.

I can't decide!

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

You could also argue Michael Pittman Jr. should be highly considered in that 1st round also. 

You could. A lot of people had him valued/mocked right around the turn, with a number projecting him in the late first round iirc. 

I think you could easily replace Darnell Mooney at #31 with Pittman.

8 players will define Chris Ballard

Draft

1. Quenton Nelson (transformed the o-line)

2. Darius Leonard (easily hall of fame pace to start)

3.  Kemoko Turay (or whoever he drafts to be our premier pass rusher... I’m just guessing Turay because I’m still very high on him)

4. Jonathan Taylor (bell cow back brought in at the perfect time for the Colts and Frank Reich’s rushing identity. 

5. Michael Pittman- Will be WR1 very soon and going forward. 

6. Julian Blackmon (He is what Malik Hooker should have been. Playmaker at the back end of the defense) 

Trade

7. Deforest Buckner (transformed the defensive line “3 tech drives this defense”)

8. Carson Wentz (Our franchise qb that can elevate this team to a consistent championship level) 

This is of course my interpretation and is based off high hopes (maybe too high) for Carson Wentz, Kemoko Turay and even Pittman. The rest are young, but very promising players, and already establishing themselves as top tier players. This core could put this team in championship contention for the next decade... and that will define Chris Ballard

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

8 players will define Chris Ballard

Draft

1. Quenton Nelson (transformed the o-line)

2. Darius Leonard (easily hall of fame pace to start)

3.  Kemoko Turay (or whoever he drafts to be our premier pass rusher... I’m just guessing Turay because I’m still very high on him)

4. Jonathan Taylor (bell cow back brought in at the perfect time for the Colts and Frank Reich’s rushing identity. 

5. Michael Pittman- Will be WR1 very soon and going forward. 

6. Julian Blackmon (He is what Malik Hooker should have been. Playmaker at the back end of the defense) 

Trade

7. Deforest Buckner (transformed the defensive line “3 tech drives this defense”)

8. Carson Wentz (Our franchise qb that can elevate this team to a consistent championship level) 

This is of course my interpretation and is based off high hopes (maybe too high) for Carson Wentz, Kemoko Turay and even Pittman. The rest are young, but very promising players, and already establishing themselves as top tier players. This core could put this team in championship contention for the next decade... and that will define Chris Ballard

sounds great

Archived