Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Cosell on 2021 Draft's OTs

Some highlights:

Rashawn Slater - projects as a tackle, start him as a tackle. Consistently effective in pass-protection. Uses the independent arm technique wery well. He's a balance and body-control player through his reps. Good in the run game working to the second level. Had good feel for leverage and angles. Because he's not long - in his body type he's streamlined and compact in his movement but he really understands how to use his body. A lot to like about his game. Had problems against AJ Epenesa whose long arms got inside of his frame on a number of snaps and caused him problems. 

- Alijah Vera-Tucker - same situation as Slater - 2020 tape as LT was very impressive both as a run blocker and in pass-protection. Naturally powerful man, but he's got light feet, he's got good lateral movement.  Very good balance. Strong hands. Did really good job controlling the edge in his vertical sets, even though he doesn't have great length. Reminds him in his body type and manner of play to Tristan Wirfs. 

- Christian Darrisaw - pure tackle - in terms of pure ease of movement he topped my list. He's got light athletic feet - you notice it in pass pro, you notice it in the run game. He's really loose hipped, with good balance and stature, kept his hands in good position. So smooth and fluid... It looked like he wasn't really working hard to do what he needed to get done. 

- Taven Jenkins - another player some might think is a guard because he's not a higher level athlete, but I think he's a tackle. You can argue his feet are a little heavy at times, sometimes he played over his feet, but he's an aggressive competitive guy. Really good in the run game... really good! Great finishing traits. Nasty edge to his play. He's a physical tempo setter for an OLine.  He's not quite as strong in pass protection, but there were some really excellent short sets, some vertical sets, he uses his hands well... he's got strength throughout his body. When he can be proactive and aggressive using his heavy hands he's really good in pass pro[this is my note, not Cosell - the Colts teach this precise technique to their OLinemen - early proactive and aggressive strikes, so this might be something they really like about him]. He's more of a strong man player, than he's a purely athletic player, but to me he should be given the opportunity to line up at tackle. 

- Dillon Radunz - he struggled with foot quicklness in pass protection. He's a terrific run blocker. Different OL coaches and teams will have him evaluated in different ways. He was highly efficient player against lower level of competition, but the tape raises some meaningful issues about how he would transition to the league - he's not the level of athlete you ideally want on the outside and as I was projecting him in my mind, I thought he would struggle against quality EDGE pass-rushers in the NFL with that lack of foot quickness, that lack of  the lateral movement traits that  you ideally like. And in fact, the more I watched him, the more I kept thinking about Mitche Morse, who made the transition from playing RT in Missouri for 3 straight years to playing center right from day 1 in the league. With Radunz I kind of saw the same thing. 

- Brenden Jaimes(Nebraska) - Really liked his tape. He's a finesse type rather than a physical mauler, but he's got good length throughout his body - linear body type. Good athletic ability, he can mirror effectively against edge speed, good body control , uses his hands well. One of those guys that might not be viewed as a top 10 guy but I think he could be a quality starting OT in the NFL at some point

- Walker Little - he's played 1 game in the last 2 years... my guess is if he played more, we would be talking a lot more about him. (He was really good in that one game). 5 star... some people thought he was the best recruit in the nation. One of the better OT prospects in this draft class 

They said they've talked about some other prospects(Cosmi, Eichenberg, Leatherwood) in earlier episode of the podcast but I cannot find that episode right now. If I find it I will post it. 

38 minutes ago, polk_high_allstar said:

What is the boards feeling on Vera-Tucker?  Strong chance he is on the board at 21.  Could he actually be a LT in our system or does he fit more at guard?  Seen him projected as both.

I actually think he will be long gone. He's projected to be an OG which we don't need.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

- Taven Jenkins - another player some might think is a guard because he's not a higher level athlete, but I think he's a tackle. You can argue his feet are a little heavy at times, sometimes he played over his feet, but he's an aggressive competitive guy. Really good in the run game... really good! Great finishing traits. Nasty edge to his play. He's a physical tempo setter for an OLine.  He's not quite as strong in pass protection, but there were some really excellent short sets, some vertical sets, he uses his hands well... he's got strength throughout his body. When he can be proactive and aggressive using his heavy hands he's really good in pass pro[this is my note, not Cosell - the Colts teach this precise technique to their OLinemen - early proactive and aggressive strikes, so this might be something they really like about him]. He's more of a strong man player, than he's a purely athletic player, but to me he should be given the opportunity to line up at tackle. 

I watched a little bit of Jenkins a couple weeks ago, and this is what I remember seeing. He has potential to be a good starter, but needs to refine his pass pro sets and keep his hands disciplined. Susceptible to speed rushers, for sure. Not that I have a particularly good handle on this draft class, but in a vacuum I saw him as a 40-60 pick kind of guy, not a 20-30 guy that we should draft in the first. 

Darrisaw is MUCH better overall, way better movement and in space, but not as physical. Interesting that Cosell says it looks easy for him, maybe that's why he seems less aggressive? 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

I watched a little bit of Jenkins a couple weeks ago, and this is what I remember seeing. He has potential to be a good starter, but needs to refine his pass pro sets and keep his hands disciplined. Susceptible to speed rushers, for sure. Not that I have a particularly good handle on this draft class, but in a vacuum I saw him as a 40-60 pick kind of guy, not a 20-30 guy that we should draft in the first. 

Darrisaw is MUCH better overall, way better movement and in space, but not as physical. Interesting that Cosell says it looks easy for him, maybe that's why he seems less aggressive? 

Yeah this is the exact thing that came across my mind the moment I heard him say it. I've been thinking about Darrisaw's lack of aggression before that (about whether I'm too harsh about it) and warming up to him for the last week and this sentiment hit even harder... I think I'm coming around to him being the better prospect too.

About Jenkins - do you think he can be LT?

14 minutes ago, wordofmouth said:

I wonder when Little will be picked. He is quite intriguing. Would taking him with our 2nd be too soon. He seems to have a great upside. 

I think Little with our second pick would be great.   I just hope he lasts that long.   

2 hours ago, wordofmouth said:

I wonder when Little will be picked. He is quite intriguing. Would taking him with our 2nd be too soon. He seems to have a great upside. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Little with our second pick would be great.   I just hope he lasts that long.   

Yeah... like Fran Duffy said in that segment - I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome for Little in the draft. He could easily go top 25 or he could slip to the 4th round. No idea how teams will view him. I think I would love him even at 21. His tape is good enough to be top 20 pick. The problem is... his most recent tape is a single game in 2019 and if you go before that... you have to go 30 months(!!!) ago to see him play. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah... like Fran Duffy said in that segment - I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome for Little in the draft. He could easily go top 25 or he could slip to the 4th round. No idea how teams will view him. I think I would love him even at 21. His tape is good enough to be top 20 pick. The problem is... his most recent tape is a single game in 2019 and if you go before that... you have to go 30 months(!!!) ago to see him play. 

I think some team would have to be very brave to take him in the first.     I think the only way he falls to the 4th is if his medicals are a problem.   But I think his Pro Day hopefully showed he’s healthy enough to have tested well.  He ran well enough so his knee should be good.  He lifted well so his shoulder should be good.   

That leaves Day 2. 

I think the odds are really strong he goes in the 2nd or 3rd round.   I just have no idea when?   

Honestly, after seeing/hearing this and doing my research, I’m more comfortable with the LT situation. We don’t necessarily have to pull the trigger on someone at 21 or anyone after that that in the 1st if we trade down. I like guys like Spencer Long, Walker Little, etc... in the 2nd round.

However if do take one in the 1st, it seems like we don’t have to panic if we miss out on Cosmi. Darrisaw could be there, but it seems like Jenkins is an option at tackle.

I go back and forth whether or not Radunz and Jenkins are truly LT material and aren't T/G tweeners.

Cosmi, Leatherwood, Brown, and Little are the true LTs that would be available where we pick, whether that's at 21 or 54 depending upon the player.

We could trade down and Leatherwood would likely be there.  I see projections for him early round 2.  All the traits and skills, but lacks aggression and finishing his blocks, from what I read. (uh-oh, Ugoh?)

10 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah this is the exact thing that came across my mind the moment I heard him say it. I've been thinking about Darrisaw's lack of aggression before that (about whether I'm too harsh about it) and warming up to him for the last week and this sentiment hit even harder... I think I'm coming around to him being the better prospect too.

About Jenkins - do you think he can be LT?

I wouldn't be excited about Jenkins at LT in Year 1, but I think he has the potential to move over eventually.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think some team would have to be very brave to take him in the first.     I think the only way he falls to the 4th is if his medicals are a problem.   But I think his Pro Day hopefully showed he’s healthy enough to have tested well.  He ran well enough so his knee should be good.  He lifted well so his shoulder should be good.   

That leaves Day 2. 

I think the odds are really strong he goes in the 2nd or 3rd round.   I just have no idea when?   

Little just feels like mid to late 2nd round. Likely Lots of OTs taken before him. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you may be confusing Little with other prospects.   There’s almost no talk of Little being a RT or G. 

But more to the point, there are so many questions about this guy because of his lack of playing time. No question about the potential, but his being out for virtually 2 years with a significant injury history makes him no more than a Day 2 guy. I like him; but to me, he’s a big time fallback plan. 

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

But more to the point, there are so many questions about this guy because of his lack of playing time. No question about the potential, but his being out for virtually 2 years with a significant injury history makes him no more than a Day 2 guy. I like him; but to me, he’s a big time fallback plan. 

A team would have to see Little as some teams see some of the QB’s who don’t have enough desired starts.   If you think Little can get coached up in a year to be a decent starter his first full year, and a quality starter after that, then R2 is perfectly fine. 

3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I have a guy feeling we don't go T in round one, and another guy feeling that people will freak out when we don't go edge rusher either.... I think there's a real good chance it's a WR or a CB....

If Horn is there im ok with CB 

I'm not big on drafting WR in 1st

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Little just feels like mid to late 2nd round. Likely Lots of OTs taken before him. 

I don't know none of us know.  I know PFF is not the end all be all but they have him as the 4th rated prospect out of all the tackle prospects.  4th. Even with his lack of playing time and two year old injury.  He had an outstanding pro day and his three cone and short shuttle were outstanding.  Signaling his injury issue is behind him.  They said his most outstanding trait is mirror ability.  One of the most important traits for a tackle.  His con was his lack of playing time obviously.  I find it hard to believe he will be the 7th or 8th tackle taken.  I guess we will know soon enough though.  If we picked him at 21 I wouldn't be shocked.  Trading and taking him further back in the 1st would be ideal.  

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't know none of us know.  I know PFF is not the end all be all but they have him as the 4th rated prospect out of all the tackle prospects.  4th. Even with his lack of playing time and two year old injury.  He had an outstanding pro day and his three cone and short shuttle were outstanding.  Signaling his injury issue is behind him.  They said his most outstanding trait is mirror ability.  One of the most important traits for a tackle.  His con was his lack of playing time obviously.  I find it hard to believe he will be the 7th or 8th tackle taken.  I guess we will know soon enough though.  If we picked him at 21 I wouldn't be shocked.  Trading and taking him further back in the 1st would be ideal.  

I honestly would rather get him in trade down and not at 21. I think he goes top 2nd.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you may be confusing Little with other prospects.   There’s almost no talk of Little being a RT or G. 

I was referring to Jenkins, who I think may be impacted if some of the teams consider him as RT only or a G

I need to look, did I also talk about Little in the same way?

OOPs.... You are right, I replied to the wrong OT ... going too fast

Little isnt a guard by a long shot

Archived