Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BR Best move of 2021: Colts trade for Wentz

danlhart87

6 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

If the team has a losing record the next two years it’s not a good roster. It will have some good players but as a whole no, rosters that lose are not good. I don’t really know how to explain that anymore. They would obviously keep some players and let others go.  A new GM would most likely bring in his own coach who will want his type players.  It happens every year. Doesn’t really matter bc it’s a made up scenario and I think the Colts are going to be SB contenders. 

So when we went 7-9 two seasons ago, we didn't have a good roster?

When the Broncos went 5-11 last year, they didn't have a good roster? Same question about the Chargers?

I'm not sure you appreciate how much of an impact a franchise quarterback has on a team. The Broncos go 11-5 with last year's roster plus an actual quarterback. 

Just because the QB can't win games, doesn't mean the roster is bad.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

When the Broncos went 5-11 last year, they didn't have a good roster? Same question about the Chargers?

I'm not sure you appreciate how much of an impact a franchise quarterback has on a team. The Broncos go 11-5 with last year's roster plus an actual quarterback. 

The Broncos issues were injuries last season.

34 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

There are very few quarterbacks that turn 5-11 into 11-5.    Sure you can win more with a better quarterback, that’s obvious.  But many are simply not that good.  They’re not that good enough. 

19 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

This is true, I don't know why people are shocked when we bring it up.

I am pretty skeptical about this. He personally made a lot of mistakes last year that were not the fault of anyone else.

That is easy to say without knowing exactly what all was going on.  I was in a situation once where I went from feeling confident in my job and management to being completely not trusting my management.  It changed the way I communicated with them since I did not trust them at all.  And because of that it impacted the work that I did.

When that relationship breaks down it is very difficult to quantify how someone will react.  Add on top of that the injuries and everything in Philly seems like a wild card.

Now I am not saying I expect Wentz to automatically become a top 5 QB, but I do think with Reich and Ballard he will be in the best possible position to resurrect his career.

Is there risk?  Sure.  But if you look at it as a risk/reward analysis this move is less risky and less costly than trying to grab a QB in the draft.  What we would have to give up in draft capitol would be huge and the risk of a rookie not working out is pretty large in the NFL.

On 4/7/2021 at 5:52 PM, tvturner said:

It's definitely not the best move of the offseason 

If I believed everything I read online I might agree with you however I caught the end of the week 5 game versus the Steelers on the NFL Network last night towards the end of the 3'rd quarter till the end while the team did lose he made some great plays to get his team into position to win . IMO the coach Pederson calling out the punter to kick a 57 yard field goal was stupid only being down 2 points , They needed 5 yrds for a first down , It ended up a loss . Wentz gets the blame but it IMO if you had seen how he was playing your opinion might actually be worth something .

I realized I need to watch more of his games because as I read I believe people hear this stuff & just repeat it without taking anytime to see for themselves how good Carson Wentz is to lazy to do there own homework . 

Trading for Carson Wentz was without a doubt the Colts best move this off season , With the Colts O-line & running game which was lacking in Philly . Not to mention much better coaching people will be shocked at how well he does in 2021 . The only QB's the Colts have had that were better was 18 & 12 . There are gonna be many such as yourself eating crow for thanksgiving . 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are very few quarterbacks that turn 5-11 into 11-5.    Sure you can win more with a better quarterback, that’s obvious.  But many are simply not that good.  They’re not that good enough. 

Of course there aren't many. If there were, quarterbacks wouldn't be as important or valuable as they are.

2 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

Ok.  They won’t turnover the roster.  The new GM and Coach will only change the QB and the Colts will win!!  

50 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

The Colts have a better shot at winning the Super Bowl with Wentz than they did with Rivers. Fact.

You might want to at least wait and see the man throw a pass first before stating such an opinion as fact. 

4 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

If I believed everything I read online I might agree with you however I caught the end of the week 5 game versus the Steelers on the NFL Network last night towards the end of the 3'rd quarter till the end while the team did lose he made some great plays to get his team into position to win . IMO the coach Pederson calling out the punter to kick a 57 yard field goal was stupid only being down 2 points , They needed 5 yrds for a first down , It ended up a loss . Wentz gets the blame but it IMO if you had seen how he was playing your opinion might actually be worth something .

I realized I need to watch more of his games because as I read I believe people hear this stuff & just repeat it without taking anytime to see for themselves how good Carson Wentz is to lazy to do there own homework . 

Trading for Carson Wentz was without a doubt the Colts best move this off season , With the Colts O-line & running game which was lacking in Philly . Not to mention much better coaching people will be shocked at how well he does in 2021 . The only QB's the Colts have had that were better was 18 & 12 . There are gonna be many such as yourself eating crow for thanksgiving . 

I agree, but Johnny U and Bert Jones shouldn't be forgotten either?  I would be thrilled if Wentz surpassed all of of them though :)!

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

For what they gave up to get Stafford (3 firsts) vs what we gave up to get Wentz buts Wentz deal by far a better move.

One first was for taking on Goffs contact but I get your point.  I still think Stafford was the better trade. Much less risk.  Wentz may turn out to be the better one but right now no one knows. 

4 hours ago, Qwiz said:

You might want to at least wait and see the man throw a pass first before stating such an opinion as fact. 

I have watched him throw some it is a fact he can throw better than Old Man Rivers watched him throwing against Pittsburgh last night game 5 in 2020 he made very good throws maybe you need to look at more than opinions .

3 minutes ago, Coltsfan98 said:

I don't get the love affair with Stafford. The guys played 12 seasons in the league and never won a playoff game. He had the best WR in the league for much of that time too. IMO the rams way overpaid for him.

The Rams are in win now mode, that is why they paid a lot to acquire Stafford.

Stafford was/is a good QB, that was stuck on a horrible team. His career numbers are impressive (top 10) in a lot of categories when he retires. You don’t suck, achieving that. 

I’d take Stafford over Wentz all day, everyday and the Colts did inquire. 

13 minutes ago, Coltsfan98 said:

I don't get the love affair with Stafford. The guys played 12 seasons in the league and never won a playoff game. He had the best WR in the league for much of that time too. IMO the rams way overpaid for him.

The NFL community believes most of what has gone wrong in Detroit was not Stafford’s fault.   They believe the problems were GM related...  ownership related...   coaching related. 

Few QB’s have Stafford’s tools.  His arm talent his eye popping and jaw dropping.  The Tams think they can out MS in a better environment to succeed.  I guess we will all find out if they’re right or not. 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The NFL community believes most of what has gone wrong in Detroit was not Stafford’s fault.   They believe the problems were GM related...  ownership related...   coaching related. 

Few QB’s have Stafford’s tools.  His arm talent his eye popping and jaw dropping.  The Tams think they can out MS in a better environment to succeed.  I guess we will all find out if they’re right or not. 

I think the Rams over paid but it’s still a win win for both sides. If the Rams get back to the SB it will be worth it, even a couple NFC championship games would justify the trade...if they win a championship it will definitely be worth it.  Detroit now has the ammo to help build a playoff contender. They won’t bc it’s Detroit lol but it was still a good trade by them. One of the few QB trades you see where both teams will probably come out ahead. 

When I compare it to the Wentz trade, Ballard took the Eagles to the cleaners and got the better of the two QBs they had. Interested to see what Sirriani can do with Hurts.  That kid seems to be a class act. The way he handled being replaced by Tua was professional in every way.  I remember the reporter asking him 3min after the championship game vs Georgia ended how he felt being replaced and seeing Tua go out there and bring the team back.  I thought it was slimy to ask that question at that moment(should have waited until the press conference and let the kid celebrate with his team) and Hurts handled it with class. Stayed for another year, came in and I believe won the SEC championship for Bama then transferred after he graduated. I’m rooting for the guy and feel for him bc the Philly press and fans can be a bit harsh to say the least lol. 

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think the Rams over paid but it’s still a win win for both sides. If the Rams get back to the SB it will be worth it, even a couple NFC championship games would justify the trade...if they win a championship it will definitely be worth it.  Detroit now has the ammo to help build a playoff contender. They won’t bc it’s Detroit lol but it was still a good trade by them. One of the few QB trades you see where both teams will probably come out ahead. 

When I compare it to the Wentz trade, Ballard took the Eagles to the cleaners and got the better of the two QBs they had. Interested to see what Sirriani can do with Hurts.  That kid seems to be a class act. The way he handled being replaced by Tua was professional in every way.  I remember the reporter asking him 3min after the championship game vs Georgia ended how he felt being replaced and seeing Tua go out there and bring the team back.  I thought it was slimy to ask that question at that moment(should have waited until the press conference and let the kid celebrate with his team) and Hurts handled it with class. Stayed for another year, came in and I believe won the SEC championship for Bama then transferred after he graduated. I’m rooting for the guy and feel for him bc the Philly press and fans can be a bit harsh to say the least lol. 

I feel bad for Hurts already.  He is in a no-win situation in Philly and I predict that things will end badly.  Once he is with a decent program he should be able to have a ok career.  Im not sure he is going to start for anyone but can be a great backup.

20 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I have watched him throw some it is a fact he can throw better than Old Man Rivers watched him throwing against Pittsburgh last night game 5 in 2020 he made very good throws maybe you need to look at more than opinions .

You know what I was saying. Let’s see Wentz actually play for the Colts before we compare his successes/failures to Rivers’ own. 

On 4/9/2021 at 2:24 PM, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

You only watched part of that game. The offense was completely inept in the 1st quarter until Miles Sanders (part of that lack of run game in PHI) broke off a beastly 74-yard TD run on 3rd and 9.

Wentz was good on the next drive...and they scored again. But on the first possession of the 2nd half, Wentz throws an INT near his own RZ...and PIT gets the TD and PHI is down 17. 

So he is definitely gets some blame for that loss. And many other games last season as well. There is plenty to go around in that organization.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:07 AM, AwesomeAustin said:

Taken to the cleaners? Colts were the only team to make an actual offer. And Wentz had tanked his trade value with his awful play and with his subsequent request to be traded. 

Plus, he still had a lot of gtd money on his deal...it’s nothing to take on $40M+ in gtd money after COVID. I mean that’s way more money than Ballard spent this entire offseason. 

The LAR had to actually include draft capital to rid themselves of Goff’s tradeable money.

So for Roseman to end up with a (likely) 1 and a 3 out of a completely untenable situation is excellent work. He played it as well as he could. And at worst, he salvaged what he could...because the alternatives weren’t viable. At best, he got a 2 and a 3 for damaged goods.

And I doubt either GM sees it as a “steal” or “fleecing.” It was their amicable solution to a problem each of their org’s faced.

Roseman’s mistake was paying Wentz...or at least structuring the contract the way he did to have to eat so much dead cap space. But that was a sunk cost regardless once Wentz wanted out.

On 4/9/2021 at 10:20 PM, MPStack said:

Stafford was/is a good QB, that was stuck on a horrible team. His career numbers are impressive (top 10) in a lot of categories when he retires. You don’t suck, achieving that. 

Stafford was my hope as well, yet the price was insane, not that he wasn't worth it.  I truly believe Reich can turn Wentz around, and if the Colts can grab either Darrisaw, Cosmi, or Tenkins , it will be an easier transition.

5 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Taken to the cleaners? Colts were the only team to make an actual offer. And Wentz had tanked his trade value with his awful play and with his subsequent request to be traded. 

Plus, he still had a lot of gtd money on his deal...it’s nothing to take on $40M+ in gtd money after COVID. I mean that’s way more money than Ballard spent this entire offseason. 

The LAR had to actually include draft capital to rid themselves of Goff’s tradeable money.

So for Roseman to end up with a (likely) 1 and a 3 out of a completely untenable situation is excellent work. He played it as well as he could. And at worst, he salvaged what he could...because the alternatives weren’t viable. At best, he got a 2 and a 3 for damaged goods.

And I doubt either GM sees it as a “steal” or “fleecing.” It was their amicable solution to a problem each of their org’s faced.

Roseman’s mistake was paying Wentz...or at least structuring the contract the way he did to have to eat so much dead cap space. But that was a sunk cost regardless once Wentz wanted out.

I’m basing this on the belief Wentz will be the answer at QB and we will become SB contenders. Trading a 1st and 3rd for a franchise QB is an extremely good deal.  Takes double to triple that just to move up and draft a rookie.  

On 4/9/2021 at 10:20 PM, MPStack said:

Their career statistics are almost identical for quarterback rating, completion percentage, touchdown percentage and interceptions percentage. Wentz may be higher risk after the poor season last year (I think he'll rebound in a better situation in Indy), but he may also be higher reward at age 28, compared to Stafford at age 33. 

2 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Their career statistics are almost identical for quarterback rating, completion percentage, touchdown percentage and interceptions percentage. Wentz may be higher risk after the poor season last year (I think he'll rebound in a better situation in Indy), but he may also be higher reward at age 28, compared to Stafford at age 33. 

If, you re-read my post, I think I was more or less explaining why the Rams paid such a huge price to acquire Stafford and that Stafford is an elite QB IMO.  

The original OP is more or less looking through blue colored glasses, stating Ballard once again, won a trade, and a trade that didn’t involve both the Colts and other team (Rams).  You can compare those two trades all you want, but it’s just immaterial and pointless.

The Rams are in win now mode, the Colts IMO, are not. So, the price for Stafford was too steep for the Colts, who did inquire about Stafford, before trading for Wentz. 

The trade with Philly, benefitted at the moment, both the Eagles and Colts. Hopefully, Wentz returns to 2017 form and I’m optimistic he will, but I prefer a talent like Stafford whose got another 3-4 good years in him. 

However, Wentz is now the guy, and I’m fine with it. 

On 4/9/2021 at 7:12 PM, Coltsfan98 said:

I think you meant to say the Lions never won a playoff game.  Yes - the QB in today's NFL is the most important position but even great QBs need some help.

Stafford is a really good QB.  I have watched quite a few Lions games since my wife's family is from north of Detroit.  Injuries have definitely impacted his career and he did fall in love with the side arm pass for a while.  He still can deliver an accurate ball from multiple angles though.  He has at times fallen into patterns of making bad decisions but I think it is similar to Rivers - when he gets a little desperate he takes risks and many times they don't work out.

Anyway - I did hope the Colts could land him but the price was way too high. 

I also know lots of people here are not happy about the Wentz trade.  I wasn't thrilled in the beginning but looking at the overall cost and the ability to get out after 2 years if this doesn't work is a pretty great move.

I would like to know what other options that are available for QB would look better than Wentz and how we would work the deal?

32 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I think you meant to say the Lions never won a playoff game.  Yes - the QB in today's NFL is the most important position but even great QBs need some help.

Stafford is a really good QB.  I have watched quite a few Lions games since my wife's family is from north of Detroit.  Injuries have definitely impacted his career and he did fall in love with the side arm pass for a while.  He still can deliver an accurate ball from multiple angles though.  He has at times fallen into patterns of making bad decisions but I think it is similar to Rivers - when he gets a little desperate he takes risks and many times they don't work out.

Anyway - I did hope the Colts could land him but the price was way too high. 

I also know lots of people here are not happy about the Wentz trade.  I wasn't thrilled in the beginning but looking at the overall cost and the ability to get out after 2 years if this doesn't work is a pretty great move.

I would like to know what other options that are available for QB would look better than Wentz and how we would work the deal?

I agree with your first point that you're not going to win with just a QB and that actually seems to be what some of the Wentz detractors on here fail to admit when looking at Wentz last season. That Philly team was a disaster not just because of Wentz.

As for Stafford I think he's talented for sure but I would say he had some pretty decent teams earlier in his career. When Schwartz was the HC they had some decent defenses and like I said he had Calvin Johnson for many years. Not to mention the NFC north isn't really a great division most years. Yeah GB and MN are usually decent every year but CHI has been mediocre for a long time. And even GB has struggled mightily with AR.

On 4/8/2021 at 3:09 PM, NewColtsFan said:

sign CB to a long-term extension.   And I believe CB will, in turn, sign Reich to a long term extension.   

So I think those two at the tulip have nothing but job security. 

...or are they tiptoeing thru the tulips.

On 4/11/2021 at 2:31 PM, shasta519 said:

You only watched part of that game. The offense was completely inept in the 1st quarter until Miles Sanders (part of that lack of run game in PHI) broke off a beastly 74-yard TD run on 3rd and 9.

Wentz was good on the next drive...and they scored again. But on the first possession of the 2nd half, Wentz throws an INT near his own RZ...and PIT gets the TD and PHI is down 17. 

So he is definitely gets some blame for that loss. And many other games last season as well. There is plenty to go around in that organization.

I actually taped the entire game after the fact I watched his LT allow the defender nail Carson Wentz & was impressed greatly with Phily's # 13 Travis Fulgram he & Wentz connected & as the game went on to get very close that run by  Miles Sanders was huge . I was concerned when I noticed that Wentz started to remind me of Andrew Luck I would prefer not to see my QB running with the ball it rarely ends well . There running game & receivers available in that game were doomed to fail. Wentz will do much better here in Indy the team & coaches are just what he needs to be successful hopefully this draft brings in a quality LT & edge rusher for obvious reasons . 

8 hours ago, craigerb said:

Don't you think Irsay himself agreed to the trade?

I don't understand your point. Basically every owner agrees to basically every significant roster move. Are you arguing that no GM or head coach has ever been fired? Or that Irsay would fire himself instead of Ballard and/or Reich?

17 hours ago, Coltsfan98 said:

I agree with your first point that you're not going to win with just a QB and that actually seems to be what some of the Wentz detractors on here fail to admit when looking at Wentz last season. That Philly team was a disaster not just because of Wentz.

As for Stafford I think he's talented for sure but I would say he had some pretty decent teams earlier in his career. When Schwartz was the HC they had some decent defenses and like I said he had Calvin Johnson for many years. Not to mention the NFC north isn't really a great division most years. Yeah GB and MN are usually decent every year but CHI has been mediocre for a long time. And even GB has struggled mightily with AR.

Yes - it looked for a while that Detroit might turn things around early on with Stafford.  He has talent but maybe he needed some better coaching to help him avoid his big mistakes which he would make with some regularity.  Maybe - I have no idea who his QB coaches were and I am not going to look it up.  And I do think his injuries played a part.  The multiple shoulder separation injuries are no joke. 

I think had Stafford come to Indy he would have been put in a great situation to excel just like Wentz now has that opportunity.  Both guys now have some baggage and need help to turn their careers around and they are both getting that opportunity.  I would still like to see Stafford do well and the Rams might be a great place for him also.  

Either way, I'm glad we didn't give up what the Rams did for Stafford.   

On 4/14/2021 at 2:19 AM, Mackrel829 said:

I don't understand your point. Basically every owner agrees to basically every significant roster move. Are you arguing that no GM or head coach has ever been fired? Or that Irsay would fire himself instead of Ballard and/or Reich?

No and yes.

When I saw the Carson Wentz trade go down, and the compensation we gave up, I paid attention to the Bears more than any non-Colts team. They were in a similar situation as us team-wise, draft-pick wise (20th pick to 21st pick), and we both had interest in Wentz. After we got him, you saw the Bears were immediately helpless. Wentz was gone, no solid QBs left in FA, the Wilson trade fell through, and they had to sign Andy Dalton. That could be us.

We got Wentz for peanuts considering we are picking 21st and didn't have to give up our 1st and/or 2nd rounder this year. If Wentz gets hurt, we have a bit of insurance from losing our 1st rounder in 2022. That's the best move of 2021 so far. If you don't believe me, look at the Bears forums and how they reacted when they signed Dalton instead of trading for Wilson. They wish they were the Colts right now.

If the Rams don't make the playoffs, will the Stafford trade be considered a bust? Considering what they gave up to acquire Stafford, I'm not sure if would be a bust, but it will fall badly on the Rams. There will be some criticism if they don't make it.

Archived