Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How you feel about Ballards approach to FA

How you feel about Ballards approach to FA  

116 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Ballards approach to FA?

• We are loaded in cash and have a team ready to make a run Ballard is asleep at the wheel (Angry)
    • We have good draft picks that need to get paid, Ballard has built this team through the draft thus far, he will continue to do so. (Happy)
    • Other, add your answer in the comments

voted "other".

If we end up with Houston (or another vet DE signed), and draft a DE and LT in the first 2 rounds, I'll be happy.

There's no doubt Ballard has done a lot more good than bad in the draft. There's also no doubt he's struggled at the DE position. There's also no doubt it's harder maintain and improve a good roster, and easier to improve on a bad roster (what he inherited). The next couple years will tell us a lot.

• Like 8
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

breaking news colts win their division in the year 2030, we always knew if we were patient his method would work

I'd just like to point out that the Bucs hadn't even made the playoffs before 2020 under Licht's watch. Six years, five losing seasons, 14 games under .500. He drafted Noah Spence and Justin Evans in

This will probably ruffle some feathers, but I don’t think the Colts are close to being SB contenders yet and actually may take a step back in 2021.   I won’t disagree with you on Ballard be

On 4/8/2021 at 3:27 PM, Myles said:

You must admit that the Eagles were a cluster-F@#$ team last season.   

I actually think we up graded at QB.   Wentz is mobile and can throw the deep ball.

Of course I think Pittman, Campbell, Taylor and Mach will be better this year.   You don't?

Are you really counting on Campbell?

• Like 3
On 4/8/2021 at 3:27 PM, Myles said:

Of course I think Pittman, Campbell, Taylor and Mach will be better this year.   You don't?

They might.  

Every team hopes their players get better every year.  Hopefully Mack doesn't miss the season again

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

breaking news colts win their division in the year 2030, we always knew if we were patient his method would work

My, my, my.....

How you've suffered as a fan...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

In consecutive offseasons he has traded picks for the most important positions on each side of the ball. Buckner and the 3T “drives” this defensive scheme and they elevated again last season with him wrecking havoc on the interior. Quarterback has been an unsure, unsecured position since #12 retired. He didn’t dabble in free agency for those. He found players of high value and traded picks for them instead of drafting and developing. He’s been methodical in free agency and conservative with cash which will pay big dividends going forward. He’s been successful in the draft, which is where he puts his chips and his mouth on (huge hauls in 2018 and 2020). Another successful draft this year would stack this roster and make us very competitive. Why should we be angry? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, BigO said:

Sure.   He was a top talent when drafted.   Had 2 unrelated freak injuries.  Now ha can be the weapon we hoped for.    

• Thanks 1
On 4/6/2021 at 10:01 AM, MPStack said:

I have zero issues with his approach to FA, because I don’t think most big FA signings impact the new team versus the losing in regards to production.  Meaning they played better, before the big payday. 

However, this season I’m a bit surprised he didn’t go get a legit LT or Edge in FA, which I’d been okay with. 

Is money an issue this season due to Covid and future deals? :dunno:

Ballard is extremely patient and methodical as a GM. He’s not been perfect, but he’s done more good than bad IMO. 

Yes, I agree with you but I totally believe that Ballard has a plan and will do what's best for our team. I mean he knows better than any of us that he needs a left tackle and a pass rusher he's fully aware of it.  I have total and complete faith in Ballard that he'll put a championship level team on the field come week one. 

• Like 1
On 4/7/2021 at 3:44 PM, Myles said:

I'm not saying you are wrong, I just don't know if that's true.   I know teams that do allot of FA signings often come up short of expectations.  

I think the Browns were a lot better team after free agency. Are they championship level no but a lot better. I don't know why Dorsey got fired I thought he was doing a good job trying to make up for no talent.  My point is there are times that you need to dabble in free agency but it is better much better to go the draft rout.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

In consecutive offseasons he has traded picks for the most important positions on each side of the ball. Buckner and the 3T “drives” this defensive scheme and they elevated again last season with him wrecking havoc on the interior. Quarterback has been an unsure, unsecured position since #12 retired. He didn’t dabble in free agency for those. He found players of high value and traded picks for them instead of drafting and developing. He’s been methodical in free agency and conservative with cash which will pay big dividends going forward. He’s been successful in the draft, which is where he puts his chips and his mouth on (huge hauls in 2018 and 2020). Another successful draft this year would stack this roster and make us very competitive. Why should we be angry? 

I agree what did most pundits say that we had the most complete roster in football last season.  Why, because Ballard built that through the draft for the most part and it hasn't put the team in salary cap hell like many other teams that don't even have the roster that we have so the credit goes to Ballard. 

5 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I agree what did most pundits say that we had the most complete roster in football last season.  Why, because Ballard built that through the draft for the most part and it hasn't put the team in salary cap hell like many other teams that don't even have the roster that we have so the credit goes to Ballard. 

Teams are built to sustain by drafting well early, forming a key core unit, and continuing to stack drafts and be smart through free agency and roster management. That means not spending big or past value which is all anyone does in free agency. That means letting guys test free agency and willing to let them walk at a high cost. And continuing to find solid players throughout the year on the waiver wire and through other means, such as trading. 

Ballard to me is as good as anybody on roster management, especially this early in his career as a GM. He had a tough break with Luck retiring. Maybe he had a good feeling that would happen when he signed on. Maybe he didn’t. He’s managed it well with that adversity. A lot of GM’s would have bombed after that. They bomb anyways. Ballard has not. This team is going to be built to sustain. Now it’s time to win some championships. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Teams are built to sustain by drafting well early, forming a key core unit, and continuing to stack drafts and be smart through free agency and roster management. That means not spending big or past value which is all anyone does in free agency. That means letting guys test free agency and willing to let them walk at a high cost. And continuing to find solid players throughout the year on the waiver wire and through other means, such as trading. 

Ballard to me is as good as anybody on roster management, especially this early in his career as a GM. He had a tough break with Luck retiring. Maybe he had a good feeling that would happen when he signed on. Maybe he didn’t. He’s managed it well with that adversity. A lot of GM’s would have bombed after that. They bomb anyways. Ballard has not. This team is going to be built to sustain. Now it’s time to win some championships. 

Yep. Think Ballard said he would build through the draft from the beginning. He is doing just that. Both sides of the ball, all phases will be littered with recent draft picks. He is going to have his team on the field this year. I love the core of this team. Really hope some others step up their game. 

17 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

38 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Yep. Think Ballard said he would build through the draft from the beginning. He is doing just that. Both sides of the ball, all phases will be littered with recent draft picks. He is going to have his team on the field this year. I love the core of this team. Really hope some others step up their game. 

Bazinga! I LOVE what Ballard is doing. 

I thought the biggest things holding us back last year were QB play and defensive consistency. I love Phil and he played his heart out last year, but he was very immobile and was lacking in arm strength. If Wentz can return to form, that would immediately make us AFC Championship contenders IMO. With the defense, at time it was spectacular, other times very mediocre. If Ballard can hit big in the draft on our gaps, we could be SB contenders soon. FA was boring, but that’s a Ballard FA for you. We resigned Rhodes, Odum, TY, Muhammad, and signed Mack for pocket change. We also added some great OL depth and a possible diamond-in-the-rough DE. I’m sad Walker left, he left for cheap and was a great team player. Autry was a good player but his attitude is lacking, so I’m not crying over his departure. Would like to keep Houston for depth; we’ll see where that goes.

Overall, a tremendously boring FA, but the kind of FA we need, with some minor setbacks. A-

On 4/10/2021 at 7:20 AM, BigO said:

Ballard seems to still believe in PC.   He thinks the kid has just suffered bad luck.

Campbell played nearly 40 games at Ohio State.   Not sure he missed a game due to injury?   He didn’t have a history of injuries that came with him.   I’m certainly willing to believe PC wasn’t born under some unlucky star.  

Parrus has tremendous physical gifts.   We should all hope he can stay healthy. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'm so glad that Tannenbaum isn't our GM because I think he's an * and that our franchise would in big trouble if it were the case. He had his mock draft on ESPN and let just say I'm just so thankful that Ballard is our GM. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

He does what he says he’s going to do. He said from day 1 the focus would be on drafting and retaining players. Being cautious through free agency. Finding talent throughout the entire year not just the months of March and April. Willing to take a chance once the locker room was ready. He’s not done bringing talent in. He and his team are evaluating players as well as any team can during the pandemic, which has to be exhausting and much more difficult than normal. It also calls for being more cautious and patient or risking making major mistakes. 

• Like 1

I like his approach and always have. Big, splashy free agent signings rarely translate to overall success. I'm expecting some value signings for DBs, especially Safety. Don't be surprised at another DE with some "gas left in the tank" like Justin Houston was, and maybe still is. There is a very thin line between " still able to contribute" and "past his playing days", especially with Edge guys. 

• Like 4

so many on this forum are happy with ballards 32 and 32 record for four years now going into 5, many on here must like just like being average, and just running in place. these people make excuses for him, like someone retired or got hurt. they dont seem to remember his horrible 2019 draft or having a lack of gamechangers with his dollar general method and not winning our weak division. going to be a long time for him to make the colts an elite team with his method.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
On 4/11/2021 at 4:01 PM, superrep1967 said:

I'm so glad that Tannenbaum isn't our GM because I think he's an * and that our franchise would in big trouble if it were the case. He had his mock draft on ESPN and let just say I'm just so thankful that Ballard is our GM. 

Tannenbaum is trying to follow in Skip Bayless' footsteps. I cannot stand his commentary. Not sure who's carrot he's waxing in NY to have a spot on Get Up, but I quit watching it because of that buffoon, as much as I do like Greenberg and always have.

10 hours ago, coltsfan1965 said:

I like his approach and always have. Big, splashy free agent signings rarely translate to overall success. I'm expecting some value signings for DBs, especially Safety. Don't be surprised at another DE with some "gas left in the tank" like Justin Houston was, and maybe still is. There is a very thin line between " still able to contribute" and "past his playing days", especially with Edge guys. 

Yeah I agree with your take on Edge guys 100% Castonzo retiring kind of put Ballard in a pickle but I don't think anyone was really shocked when he retired. Not sure why they signed him for 2 years when he himself flirted with retiring after 2019 and wanted to take it year by year. So personally I was surprised Ballard wasn't a bit more aggressive addressing that particular position.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

Tannenbaum is trying to follow in Skip Bayless' footsteps. I cannot stand his commentary. Not sure who's carrot he's waxing in NY to have a spot on Get Up, but I quit watching it because of that buffoon, as much as I do like Greenberg and always have.

Yeah I agree with your take on Edge guys 100% Castonzo retiring kind of put Ballard in a pickle but I don't think anyone was really shocked when he retired. Not sure why they signed him for 2 years when he himself flirted with retiring after 2019 and wanted to take it year by year. So personally I was surprised Ballard wasn't a bit more aggressive addressing that particular position.

I with you I like Greenberg but can't stand Tannenbaum so I don't watch either. 

12 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

so many on this forum are happy with ballards 32 and 32 record for four years now going into 5, many on here must like just like being average, and just running in place. these people make excuses for him, like someone retired or got hurt. they dont seem to remember his horrible 2019 draft or having a lack of gamechangers with his dollar general method and not winning our weak division. going to be a long time for him to make the colts an elite team with his method.

You are sad... 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

ballards 32 and 32 record for four years

His teams with real quarterbacks is 21-11. At least be realistic with your bashing. Otherwise, you just look like you are picking a fight you won’t win. Team had more all-pros on the roster last year than everyone but the Packers who had the same amount. Don’t be a tool

On 4/6/2021 at 10:16 AM, The Fish said:

Pro's, con's. 

I don't love that well all know there's big ole fat holes on the roster. I also am cool with not giving out stupid contracts for guys who may or may not keep balling after the bigger pay days.

I don't know where there are 'big ole fat holes' in the roster. 

Yes, losing AC stinks, but Ballard has gotten a few serviceable players in FA who will at least provide solid depth, if not be able to step in a be decent starters.  This draft is pretty deep at OT and my guess is we'll see one added there (plus, I won't be shocked if Ballard and Co. are fairly high on Pinter and O'Donnell as developing players along with Tevi and Davenport from FA).  A whole here, but Ballard's already addressed it to some extent and we have a long way to go before preseason even starts.

Our edge position on the DL is a bit concerning, but I think Isaac Rochell reminds me a bit of Autry when we signed Autry.  Houston is still out there and it sounds like Ballard was talking to him just a week or so ago - my guess is Ballard gave him a range (price and length) of contract where the Colts will play within and after talking to a few other teams Houston will come back and negotiate with us to stick around on a 1-2 year deal (or he'll find a team that overpays him and walk).  Again, this draft seems pretty strong on rush ends, and my guess is Ballard is not done attacking this position.  That said, my biggest concern here is health - if healthy, I think Lewis, Turay, Rochell, and Muhammad are serviceable DEs (not great) and we're not terrible there - with the addition of Houston, that's a fairly solid unit - if Banogu somehow really emerges that's a huge plus and if we get Houston back and bring in a guy via draft, we're probably fine at that spot so long as Turay and Lewis can stay healthy.

Our TE group is not great, but with Doyle and MAC we have a fairly solid 1-2 group here.  I'd really like to see us add an explosive playmaker (MAC showed flashes last year as did Burton if we bring him back, and I think Doyle's a solid all-around TE, though not the explosive guy I want).  Not many very good TEs left in FA (could get a decent guy like Jordan Reed or Tyler Eifert on a short contract) and after Pitts, I don't see many who I'm sold on as receiving threats in the draft... either way, our TE play was OK last year and if we go into the season with Doyle, MAC, Farrod Green and others on our current roster, I don't see it as a 'big ole fat hole.'

Our WR group, with the resigning of TY should be solid.... Pittman, if he continues to develop, along with TY and Pascal are a formidable top 3 -- if Campbell is healthy and we get solid development from our 5-6 guys (assuming we don't draft or sign any other WRs), I think we're solid going into the season with Pittman, TY, Pascal, Campbell, Patmon and Dulin/Harris.  If Campbell stays healthy and Patmon emerges, that could be an elite group compared to rest of the league.  I won't be shocked if we go after another playmaker in the draft, but this unit isn't a 'big ole fat hole.'

With Wentz and Eason at QB, we should be solid.  My guess is we'll bring in a guy like Hoyer or some other cheaper vet as a 3rd QB... my main concern is Wentz staying healthy, but I think if he does, he'll bounce back fine with a change of scenery and a reunion with Reich.  

LBs we should be fine - wouldn't mind adding a bit more competition, but I'm not seeing that as a hole.  

DBs, we had solid play from Willis and for the most part Blackmon at S, so we should be OK there - at least no worse than last year and I won't be shocked if we add another player or if Marvell Tell helps at S.  We have Rhodes back at DB, and Kenny Moore II returning in the slot.  I am not very worried about Ya-Sin (I see why other people are, but I don't think last year was as bad as people make it out to be for him and I think he's got the work ethic and mental toughness to continue improving), Tell should help CBs if he doesn't move to S... the loss of Carrie isn't great, but our secondary isn't really a 'big ole hole.'

All in all, I think Ballard has faith in his coaching staff and his younger players that they'll keep developing.  We have a very solid young core.  Like every team (except maybe the Bucs), we have some question marks... but we have a long off-season left ahead of us and I have no doubt that this team will be ready to compete for the AFC South title by the time Ballard gets through the draft and remaining FA.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:38 AM, Mackrel829 said:

I've been very happy with Ballard's overall approach throughout his tenure so far. I've been frustrated by his approach this off-season, however.

I certainly didn't expect - and wouldn't haven't wanted - Ballard to spend recklessly in FA. I think it would have been both affordable and massively impactful to go out and sign one of the top edge rushers though. I don't see any reason that we couldn't have matched 3/$45m for Carl Lawson. That would have been a huge addition. I also don't understand why we don't have a league average left tackle on the roster when guys like Villenueva, etc. are still out there and would absolutely take one year deals.

LT and DE are massively important positions, and we have no one fit to play either at present. We're not getting two starters in the draft but will basically be forced to take those positions regardless of how the board falls rather than being able to take the BPA.

You don't know (nor does anyone on this board as a fan) if guys like Villenueva, etc. have been 'absolutely' willing to take 1 year deals at this point.  My guess is, they don't want to do that and they're feeling the market out... as we get closer to the draft, it's not like the market is getting better for some of the vets out there.  I don't know that we don't have a league average LT on our roster among Davenport, Tevi, ODonnell and Pinter, TBH - but if Ballard's not comfy with any of them, we can still get a guy like Villenueva or draft one -- this happens to be a very deep OT draft.

At DE, I agree with @Supermanthat Lawson's contract was a bit overpriced for a guy who gets pressure but not sacks.  Muhammad who we got back (for 1/5 of Lawson's annual amount) gets pressure as well, you pay guys at DE >$15+ mil/year when they are able to turn pressures into sacks.  Houston is still out there, and my guess is we bring him back on a 1-2 year deal (likely for no more than Lawson and Houston is a far more productive rush end).  If we do that, our DE position is fine and edge is pretty deep in this year's draft should we address it there.

I don't really think anything Ballard's done is going to prevent him from going BPA with some limitations (e.g., with Wentz and Eason at QB, we're likely not going to take a QB in the first 3 rounds, nor are we likely to draft a C, etc.).  The draft has multiple OT who should be able to come in and start from day 1 within the first few rounds.  The edge group is pretty deep.  The WR is very deep.  

• Like 2

Well early Free Agency usually leads to overpaying for what will be a lack of production vs. money spent.  Not in all cases, though more often than not.  So I am glad that Ballard shies away from the first wave,  He has Leonard, Q, and Smith's extensions to contend with, so signing someone long term, for big money, would affect that.  And if you want to build through the draft, and keep them, you need the cash to pay them. 

With that said, I like the 1 year deals as they allow him to go BPA in the draft, which is his suit.  Both the 2018 and 2020 drafts are proof of that.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2021 at 8:45 PM, DEFENSE said:

Sounds like your talking about the Texans . As a Colts fan I'v read many stupid posts on this site over the years this being the stupidest of all .

4 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

You don't know (nor does anyone on this board as a fan) if guys like Villenueva, etc. have been 'absolutely' willing to take 1 year deals at this point.  My guess is, they don't want to do that and they're feeling the market out... as we get closer to the draft, it's not like the market is getting better for some of the vets out there.  I don't know that we don't have a league average LT on our roster among Davenport, Tevi, ODonnell and Pinter, TBH - but if Ballard's not comfy with any of them, we can still get a guy like Villenueva or draft one -- this happens to be a very deep OT draft.

You're obviously right. We don't know anything for certain. I'm pretty confident about each of the two statements that I made though - that AV would take a one year deal for fair money, and that we don't have a league average tackle - which is all I can be.

It does seem to be a deep tackle class, and there also seems to be value at the edge position at the back end of the first round. I just don't like the fact that we pretty much have to take edge and tackle (probably in that order too) and can't afford to pursue other options should they fall to us.

What if one of the top three corners falls to us? We take him, take the best tackle available in the second, and have to make do with a 4th round edge rusher at best.

I think it's very likely that we trade back this year, but then we don't even get the pick of the edge rushers in the mid-late second. I'd feel excellent about trading back if we already had league average starters at tackle and corner. With gaping holes at each of those positions, I'm not so keen.

There are still a couple of weeks to go until the draft, and there's obviously plenty of time after that too to get something sorted. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ballard puts together. I just hope the season doesn't end with him making comments like we've heard before (specifically about the on-line) about wishing that he'd done more.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Sounds like your talking about the Texans . As a Colts fan I'v read many stupid posts on this site over the years this being the stupidest of all .

Gotta love the diversity on this Forum. Frankly, I find him amusing as hell. The only thing I haven’t figured out yet, is if he’s serious. 

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

His teams with real quarterbacks is 21-11. At least be realistic with your bashing. Otherwise, you just look like you are picking a fight you won’t win. Team had more all-pros on the roster last year than everyone but the Packers who had the same amount. Don’t be a tool

I mean...what was Grigson with a real QB...41-23? If we are throwing out seasons based on who the QB was...2015 should be tossed as well. 

And in 2015, the Colts actually went 6-3 with backup QBs. 

But Grigson never gets credit for winning with a good QB.

Also, one of those All-Pros on last year's team was a direct result of not having “a real QB” in 2017. So at the least, not having a real QB in 2017 has to be seen as an advantage...not a disadvantage. It's disingenuous to take out 2017 and not acknowledge what they got out of it, in terms of roster construction.

Even if we throw out 2017, the record since 2018 is 28-20 and 1-2 in the playoffs. It's good not great. I am not one to trash Ballard, but I do think there is a tendency to overpraise. This is a big year.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

I mean...what was Grigson with a real QB...41-23? If we are throwing out seasons based on who the QB was...2015 should be tossed as well. 

And in 2015, the Colts actually went 6-3 with backup QBs. 

But Grigson never gets credit for winning with a good QB.

Also, one of those All-Pros on last year's team was a direct result of not having “a real QB” in 2017. So at the least, not having a real QB in 2017 has to be seen as an advantage...not a disadvantage. It's disingenuous to take out 2017 and not acknowledge what they got out of it, in terms of roster construction.

Even if we throw out 2017, the record since 2018 is 28-20 and 1-2 in the playoffs. It's good not great. I am not one to trash Ballard, but I do think there is a tendency to overpraise. This is a big year.

he absolutely does and did. He was executive of the year as a rookie because he drafted Luck and put together a roster that won 11 games a year removed from 2... I’m fully aware of what Grigson accomplished. What he failed miserably on was drafting, and protecting his most valuable asset.

Those aspects, ironically, is where Ballard has succeeded the most... The big difference being Grigson spent big to build a veteran laden roster through free agency while inheriting pillars like Robert Mathis and Reggie Wayne at two instrumental positions that Ballard has struggled putting big talent at. Ballard is winning similarly with a very young roster. A lot of that (in my opinion) comes to the coaching hired. Reich has done a very nice job with a young roster and an uncertain qb room. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

it is good. We lost to Kansas City and a strong Buffalo squad that were better than us in those playoff games. The great could come quick... I feel this team is much closer to that than I ever did with Grigson’s teams. Even with #12 under roster. The blowout losses drained whatever thoughts of being super bowl contenders I had. And there were plenty. 2014 was our contender year- we lost to Pittsburgh 51-26, New England 42-17, and then again in the conference championship 45-17... that is not contending. 

9 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't know where there are 'big ole fat holes' in the roster. 

Yes, losing AC stinks, but Ballard has gotten a few serviceable players in FA who will at least provide solid depth, if not be able to step in a be decent starters.  This draft is pretty deep at OT and my guess is we'll see one added there (plus, I won't be shocked if Ballard and Co. are fairly high on Pinter and O'Donnell as developing players along with Tevi and Davenport from FA).  A whole here, but Ballard's already addressed it to some extent and we have a long way to go before preseason even starts.

Our edge position on the DL is a bit concerning, but I think Isaac Rochell reminds me a bit of Autry when we signed Autry.  Houston is still out there and it sounds like Ballard was talking to him just a week or so ago - my guess is Ballard gave him a range (price and length) of contract where the Colts will play within and after talking to a few other teams Houston will come back and negotiate with us to stick around on a 1-2 year deal (or he'll find a team that overpays him and walk).  Again, this draft seems pretty strong on rush ends, and my guess is Ballard is not done attacking this position.  That said, my biggest concern here is health - if healthy, I think Lewis, Turay, Rochell, and Muhammad are serviceable DEs (not great) and we're not terrible there - with the addition of Houston, that's a fairly solid unit - if Banogu somehow really emerges that's a huge plus and if we get Houston back and bring in a guy via draft, we're probably fine at that spot so long as Turay and Lewis can stay healthy.

Our TE group is not great, but with Doyle and MAC we have a fairly solid 1-2 group here.  I'd really like to see us add an explosive playmaker (MAC showed flashes last year as did Burton if we bring him back, and I think Doyle's a solid all-around TE, though not the explosive guy I want).  Not many very good TEs left in FA (could get a decent guy like Jordan Reed or Tyler Eifert on a short contract) and after Pitts, I don't see many who I'm sold on as receiving threats in the draft... either way, our TE play was OK last year and if we go into the season with Doyle, MAC, Farrod Green and others on our current roster, I don't see it as a 'big ole fat hole.'

Our WR group, with the resigning of TY should be solid.... Pittman, if he continues to develop, along with TY and Pascal are a formidable top 3 -- if Campbell is healthy and we get solid development from our 5-6 guys (assuming we don't draft or sign any other WRs), I think we're solid going into the season with Pittman, TY, Pascal, Campbell, Patmon and Dulin/Harris.  If Campbell stays healthy and Patmon emerges, that could be an elite group compared to rest of the league.  I won't be shocked if we go after another playmaker in the draft, but this unit isn't a 'big ole fat hole.'

With Wentz and Eason at QB, we should be solid.  My guess is we'll bring in a guy like Hoyer or some other cheaper vet as a 3rd QB... my main concern is Wentz staying healthy, but I think if he does, he'll bounce back fine with a change of scenery and a reunion with Reich.  

LBs we should be fine - wouldn't mind adding a bit more competition, but I'm not seeing that as a hole.  

DBs, we had solid play from Willis and for the most part Blackmon at S, so we should be OK there - at least no worse than last year and I won't be shocked if we add another player or if Marvell Tell helps at S.  We have Rhodes back at DB, and Kenny Moore II returning in the slot.  I am not very worried about Ya-Sin (I see why other people are, but I don't think last year was as bad as people make it out to be for him and I think he's got the work ethic and mental toughness to continue improving), Tell should help CBs if he doesn't move to S... the loss of Carrie isn't great, but our secondary isn't really a 'big ole hole.'

All in all, I think Ballard has faith in his coaching staff and his younger players that they'll keep developing.  We have a very solid young core.  Like every team (except maybe the Bucs), we have some question marks... but we have a long off-season left ahead of us and I have no doubt that this team will be ready to compete for the AFC South title by the time Ballard gets through the draft and remaining FA.

At DE, I agree with @Supermanthat Lawson's contract was a bit overpriced for a guy who gets pressure but not sacks.  Muhammad who we got back (for 1/5 of Lawson's annual amount) gets pressure as well, you pay guys at DE >$15+ mil/year when they are able to turn pressures into sacks.  Houston is still out there, and my guess is we bring him back on a 1-2 year deal (likely for no more than Lawson and Houston is a far more productive rush end).  If we do that, our DE position is fine and edge is pretty deep in this year's draft should we address it there.

I don't really think anything Ballard's done is going to prevent him from going BPA with some limitations (e.g., with Wentz and Eason at QB, we're likely not going to take a QB in the first 3 rounds, nor are we likely to draft a C, etc.).  The draft has multiple OT who should be able to come in and start from day 1 within the first few rounds.  The edge group is pretty deep.  The WR is very deep.  

The only thing I have an issue with about how Ballard has handled this off season is not getting out in front of the issue at LT sooner. He knew AC was not "all in" over a year ago. That is what to me has been the main problem since the end of 2020. Other than that I have no issue with any of the moves he has or hasn't made. He has spread his attention around and I think he's fully aware of exactly where all the holes on this team are at. The thing that bothers me is I'm huge on keeping the trenches solid. 

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised we did try to sign Clowney for $11-$12 million, since he signed with Cleveland for $10 million.  I think he previous contract was $12-$13 million with up to $2 million in incentives.

Maybe Ballard did not want him or Clowney did not want to play for the Colts.  He is looking forward to playing with Miles Garret on the DL but he could have also looked forward to playing with Buckner on our DL, with Darius Leonard backing them up.

Oh well, was not meant to be.  I sill like Justin Houston, not is if it a 1 yr contract issue vs contact salary or both.  I thought when he was on, he reminded me a little of former Steeler, James Harrison. At 6-3 270, he has the size to play the run and enough athleticism to provider a decent edge rush.

If Banogu can break through to the expectations for where he was drafted, early in the second round and Turay can make the 2nd year jump, post injury, it will be huge for us.

Ballard, has overall done well, the biggest issue I reflect on his his 2019 draft.

In our 1st of 3 picks in the 2nd round

# 49 DE Ben Banogu (see above)    #51 Titans select WR AJ Brown, we could have used him that year as TY was hurt a lot that year

#59 WR Paris Campbell   Hard luck with Injuries, looked good when not injured

#64 Seattle selects WR DK Metcalf, who is making a big splash there

I remember watching the draft and at #49, telling my wife the Colts will draft AJ Brown or DK Metcalf, when they draft Banogu, I had to go to my draft magazines/references to look him up, did not know of him at the time.  I'm aware you don't have to be well known to succeed in the NFL.

At #59, I said again to my wife, the Colts got to select DK Metcalf, but was OK with Campbell and reviewing his scouting reports. Just had bad luck with injuries.  Hopefully, this is his year.

Ballard positive, drafting LB Darius Leonard. Unlike Banogu, I've heard of him a little but was still little surprised.  Great Pick.

The trade for first round pick #3 to the NY Jets for their #6 (OG Q. Nelson), and 2 and round draft choices.  Then drafting OT B. Smith in the 2nd round. I think that is the foundation that makes us a solid team.  Offensive lineman are not sexy picks but with a solid offensive line and it is great to finally be able to say that, we will always be considered a team to contend with.  Have a Jonathan Taylor running behind that line is a plus.  Again a biased opinion,  I would take J. Taylor over any other RB in football right now, even over the Titans Travis Henry,  some would disagree but that is my opinion.  I mentioned this to a Titan fan and we had a friendly disagreement/discussion about but did agree, both are very nice RB's.

• Like 1
On 4/13/2021 at 10:32 PM, JoeThornburg said:

The only thing I have an issue with about how Ballard has handled this off season is not getting out in front of the issue at LT sooner. He knew AC was not "all in" over a year ago. That is what to me has been the main problem since the end of 2020. Other than that I have no issue with any of the moves he has or hasn't made. He has spread his attention around and I think he's fully aware of exactly where all the holes on this team are at. The thing that bothers me is I'm huge on keeping the trenches solid. 

Well, AC did sign a 2 year deal and he hasn't really dealt with injuries the way he did last year throughout most of his career.  Part of me thinks Ballard thought 2 years with AC meant two years - though I understand your stance as AC openly stated he was contemplating retirement before last season.  

I think Ballard is also very big on keeping the trenches solid.  He's said that since day 1 and he took one of the worst OLs in the NFL and has turned it into one of, if not the best in the NFL in a relatively short time.  One thing I really like about Ballard is that he looks multiple years out in drafts -- my gut tells me he probably didn't do a ton to address the LT position as much last year (at least in the draft) due to the fact that this draft is very deep with OT talent.  For all I know, Ballard and the coaching staff could be content with what we have on the OL as is -- or we can still address it in FA (e.g., Villaneuva) or in the draft -- either way, I trust that Ballard's not going to allow this team to go into the upcoming season with an OL he's uncomfortable with.

On 4/13/2021 at 5:02 PM, Mackrel829 said:

You're obviously right. We don't know anything for certain. I'm pretty confident about each of the two statements that I made though - that AV would take a one year deal for fair money, and that we don't have a league average tackle - which is all I can be.

It does seem to be a deep tackle class, and there also seems to be value at the edge position at the back end of the first round. I just don't like the fact that we pretty much have to take edge and tackle (probably in that order too) and can't afford to pursue other options should they fall to us.

What if one of the top three corners falls to us? We take him, take the best tackle available in the second, and have to make do with a 4th round edge rusher at best.

I think it's very likely that we trade back this year, but then we don't even get the pick of the edge rushers in the mid-late second. I'd feel excellent about trading back if we already had league average starters at tackle and corner. With gaping holes at each of those positions, I'm not so keen.

There are still a couple of weeks to go until the draft, and there's obviously plenty of time after that too to get something sorted. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ballard puts together. I just hope the season doesn't end with him making comments like we've heard before (specifically about the on-line) about wishing that he'd done more.

You said pretty matter-of-factly that AV was willing to sign a one year deal.  We certainly don't know that.  Obviously, as we get deeper into FA and the draft approaches (and soon passes), remaining FAs have a better idea of what teams value them at compared to what they initially thought they are worth.  My guess is AV has either asked for more money or is seeking a longer deal than teams are willing to give him (or a combo of the two), as there is obviously a reason he hasn't been signed... 

As far as LT goes, I don't think it's certain that we don't have at least a league average guy in there among Davenport, Tevi, Pinter and O'Donnell.  Davenport started 15 games in 2018 for the Texans and 8 games in 2019 for the Dolphins (before getting hurt), I don't see anything in there that says he isn't at least average for an NFL starter.  Tevi started 15 games in 2018 (most at RT), 14 in 2019 (at RT) and 14 in 2020 (at LT) - again, he's not the best OT in the NFL, but I don't see anything glaring about him to suggest he isn't around league average.  Keep in mind, whoever plays LT for us is going to be playing next to the best LG in the NFL (Big Q, assuming he stays at LG and doesn't move to LT), a top 3 C in the league (Kelly) and solid guys in Glow and Smith to complete the line.  Additionally, between MaC and Doyle, we have two solid blocking TEs to help if needed.  If Tevi and/or Davenport were slightly below league average in MIA and LA, my guess is that playing on a line with this much talent will help nudge them to average or above average.  

We have league average starters at CB.  Xavier Rhodes was one of the best CBs in the NFL last year and he's coming back.  Kenny Moore III is one of, if not the best slot CB in the NFL.  Sure Ya-Sin had some troubles last year, but he isn't as bad as many make him out to be and my guess is that he'll improve in his 3rd year.  We also have Tell returning and he looked very promising his rookie year before opting out to COVID last year.  

As far as edge goes, I think the FO is probably pretty high on Turay.  I also think we'll bring Houston back.  I'd like to see us address this in the draft, but if we get Houston back, along with Turay, Lewis, Muhammad, and Rochell we're probably in very similar shape as last year (I see Rochell as a similar, but younger, player to Autry - he'll have to prove it, but he should benefit from playing alongside Buckner).  We may be in better shape than last year if Banogu makes a big leap and if we have Turay fully healthy from Day 1.

Not saying you're wrong... but can you provide a quote from Ballard where he talks about wishing he did more after the season was over?  I don't recall him saying much about have major regrets by being inactive the previous off-season after a season ended.

Something that was mentioned on the cover two podcast we don’t think about. What happens if Lewis and Turay have huge years. They will also need extensions too. That entire 18 class was so good and coming up for extensions.

I'm happy to indifferent with FA. Obviously, we have to pay our guys. One thing I would of done differently is not sign Hilton, and allocate that money towards an EDGE rusher. Of course, we could always sign Houston back still before the draft, but I'm not fully expecting it. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the plan at this point though, and we mostly go with last years team, replace Rivers with Wentz, minus Autry and Walker, and draft some new players to fill the weaknesses. 

In any case, I love the draft, and expect us to gain a couple extra picks at some point. Ballard won't just go with 6 total picks. That's not his forte.

• Like 2
On 4/13/2021 at 1:17 PM, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The poster you've responded to is not being stupid, he’s being sarcastic.  

He’s unimpressed with Ballard because the Colts have not won the AFC South on his watch.   The poster is not interested in being patient.  He wants to win NOW!    Sooner than that if it’s possible.