Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How you feel about Ballards approach to FA

How you feel about Ballards approach to FA  

116 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Ballards approach to FA?

• We are loaded in cash and have a team ready to make a run Ballard is asleep at the wheel (Angry)
    • We have good draft picks that need to get paid, Ballard has built this team through the draft thus far, he will continue to do so. (Happy)
    • Other, add your answer in the comments

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

breaking news colts win their division in the year 2030, we always knew if we were patient his method would work

I'd just like to point out that the Bucs hadn't even made the playoffs before 2020 under Licht's watch. Six years, five losing seasons, 14 games under .500. He drafted Noah Spence and Justin Evans in

This will probably ruffle some feathers, but I don’t think the Colts are close to being SB contenders yet and actually may take a step back in 2021.   I won’t disagree with you on Ballard be

I'm good with it.   I've liked many of the low cost free agents he has brought in.  Guys who want to prove themselves.  

The locker room atmosphere seems to be great.   But that is from an outsider.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have zero issues with his approach to FA, because I don’t think most big FA signings impact the new team versus the losing in regards to production.  Meaning they played better, before the big payday. 

However, this season I’m a bit surprised he didn’t go get a legit LT or Edge in FA, which I’d been okay with. 

Is money an issue this season due to Covid and future deals? :dunno:

Ballard is extremely patient and methodical as a GM. He’s not been perfect, but he’s done more good than bad IMO. 

• Like 6

Ballard is taking the time to build the team the right way. As a fan, this makes me angry...LOL.

Seriously, it does, because I want to see results NOW. I am a fan (fanatic) and I want my team to win NOW. Sure, I can sit back and enjoy the ride, but I don't want to go through the ups and downs. I just want to enjoy the highs.

Ballard is doing it the right way, which is brilliant. Kudos to him for keeping with his vision, and not giving in.

• Like 1

Pro's, con's. 

I don't love that well all know there's big ole fat holes on the roster. I also am cool with not giving out stupid contracts for guys who may or may not keep balling after the bigger pay days.

• Like 3

I don't think anyone is against building the team through the draft.  He's doing that but that's not his only path.  He did add Buckner and Wentz via trades as well.  So he is open to that path.  His use of FA has been alright but not great.  I don't like spending money on older FA's that comes with more potential downside.  But making one move or two for a younger proven FA with upside is where I think he could do better.  Especially this year when so many good players were available due to cap restraints.  So here we are weeks before the draft with two big holes to fill  LT and ER as usual.  I think LT is coming from the draft most likely a stab at a ER as well.  Still some time to go so we shall see what comes next.  But like I said so far FA is alright but not great. 

• Like 5

I've been very happy with Ballard's overall approach throughout his tenure so far. I've been frustrated by his approach this off-season, however.

I certainly didn't expect - and wouldn't haven't wanted - Ballard to spend recklessly in FA. I think it would have been both affordable and massively impactful to go out and sign one of the top edge rushers though. I don't see any reason that we couldn't have matched 3/$45m for Carl Lawson. That would have been a huge addition. I also don't understand why we don't have a league average left tackle on the roster when guys like Villenueva, etc. are still out there and would absolutely take one year deals.

LT and DE are massively important positions, and we have no one fit to play either at present. We're not getting two starters in the draft but will basically be forced to take those positions regardless of how the board falls rather than being able to take the BPA.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Im good with it. The only time anyone feels ecstatic about a FA signing is when that player is elite level status, and that wasn't going to happen this year. Would have liked to see at the very least, Houston come back on the DL. 

But overall I'm okay with it. I want to keep as many of our guys as possible and that becomes less likely the more we sign bigger named FAs. 

• Like 1

I almost feel like this is a wait snd see year for Ballard. I think if we still had luck he would go all in and loosen the purse strings but with wentZ being our qb this team could be either really good or kinda bad depending on how he plays.  I think Ballard is just trying to hold things together and see where we are as a franchise. We are either a serious contender (if wentZ plays really  well) and the defense stays roughly the same ,  or we are horrible and drafting a qb next year if wentZ is really bad and the defense stays roughly the same as last year). 
  So I kinda get why he wants to see what we got. 

Ballard has the right approach. We are not going to mortgage the future just to create a small window of opportunity. Fans want it now, and that’s part of being a fan. A successful GM has to think long-term. 

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Im good with it. The only time anyone feels ecstatic about a FA signing is when that player is elite level status, and that wasn't going to happen this year. Would have liked to see at the very least, Houston come back on the DL. 

But overall I'm okay with it. I want to keep as many of our guys as possible and that becomes less likely the more we sign bigger named FAs. 

Holder says they are still talking to Houston but they are also talking with the other available FA ER’s.  It might come down to whoever agrees first is signed.  He’s certainly not sitting there waiting for Houston. 

I picked Happy, but wanted to add that I could get behind him being a little more aggressive for needed positions. To be clear, he's done that plenty, including 2020 when he signed Rivers and traded for Buckner. It would have been nice to see a swing at edge this year, though.

However, it was pretty obvious that they weren't going to spend big this offseason. Shrinking cap, lots of FAs to try to retain, and pending extensions for young players. The writing was on the wall as early as last offseason.

• Like 7

I think it’s the right way. He clearly didn’t like any of the edge guys in FA this year. He would of went after one of them if he thought they could make the difference.

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

I've been very happy with Ballard's overall approach throughout his tenure so far. I've been frustrated by his approach this off-season, however.

I certainly didn't expect - and wouldn't haven't wanted - Ballard to spend recklessly in FA. I think it would have been both affordable and massively impactful to go out and sign one of the top edge rushers though. I don't see any reason that we couldn't have matched 3/$45m for Carl Lawson. That would have been a huge addition. I also don't understand why we don't have a league average left tackle on the roster when guys like Villenueva, etc. are still out there and would absolutely take one year deals.

LT and DE are massively important positions, and we have no one fit to play either at present. We're not getting two starters in the draft but will basically be forced to take those positions regardless of how the board falls rather than being able to take the BPA.

I think it’s clear Ballard didn’t like Lawson. Or any of the FA edge guys. The two biggest edge guys stayed with their teams.  As much as fans might like these guys Ballard didn’t.

Wentz

Buckner

Rhodes

Moore

Pascal

Glowinski 

All major contributors obtained outside of the draft. That is 5-6 starters with right now more penciled in at LT and DE.  I think Ballard has done a superb job supplementing his draft approach.  Stay the course...it’s coming along nicely. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
30 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think it’s clear Ballard didn’t like Lawson. Or any of the FA edge guys. The two biggest edge guys stayed with their teams.  As much as fans might like these guys Ballard didn’t.

I don't know why he wouldn't like him. Seems like a perfect fit for us and signed a reasonable contract.

I really like how Ballard approaches free agency.

He's taking care of our own and brining in players with something to prove.   Kind of like the Autry signing.

Al-Quadin Muhammad (DE), Sean Davis (S), Chris Reed (OG) signed as free agents

T.Y. Hilton (WR) signed as a free agent

MARCH

Joey Hunt (C) Julie'n Davenport (T) signed as free agents

Sam Tevi (T) signed as a free agent

Xavier Rhodes (CB) signed as a free agent

Marlon Mack (RB) signed as a free agent

Isaac Rochell (DE) signed as a free agent

Andrew Brown (DT) claimed off waivers (HOU)

Carson Wentz (QB) acquired in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for the Colts' 2021 third-round draft pick and a 2022 conditional second-round draft pick

• Thanks 2

it wasn't that long ago under Grigson, he was spending and bringing in Free agents. We remember how that turned out, probably cost us a another future HOF QB, I guess we will never know. Ballard is actually building a team. I still find it funny that some fans wonder why he is keeping so much CAP, well it not rocket science on who we are going to have to pay soon. No my opinion is Ballard is doing it the right way and we may have even have gotten a QB out of this. :thmup:

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I don't know why he wouldn't like him. Seems like a perfect fit for us and signed a reasonable contract.

I don't agree with either of the bolded statements. He doesn't sack the QB, and he got $15m/year.

• Like 4

I think Ballard likes to retain most of our guys at his own price tag. But I think if we want to keep our O-Line and D-Line together, he's going to have to shell out money with extensions soon. 

My only main gripe is not getting a veteran Edge rusher in FA. Especially when a lot of them didn’t sign big contracts due to the cap this year. I feel like LT is going to get properly addressed in the draft. Not addressing De depth puts more pressure on Ballard to draft a good one in the draft.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Ballard has the right approach. We are not going to mortgage the future just to create a small window of opportunity. Fans want it now, and that’s part of being a fan. A successful GM has to think long-term. 

They have plenty to sign Nelson, Smith and Leonard next year, and then some

I dont think anyone expected a big spending spree, but the team actually looks worse than last year

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

They have plenty to sign Nelson, Smith and Leonard next year, and then some

I dont think anyone expected a big spending spree, but the team actually looks worse than last year

I don't think it looks worse.  Not all that improved though.   The RB position is as solid as you can get.   The WR position is solid.   Depth has been addressed on the O-line and D-lines.   Rhodes is back at CB and safety depth/starter has been added.   The QB position has been addressed.  

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't agree with either of the bolded statements. He doesn't sack the QB, and he got $15m/year.

Sacks aren't always indicative of pass rush effectiveness. They're a very unreliable, and often misleading, statistic. Gregory Rousseau should be going in the top 10 of the draft if sacks are a reliable statistic. Regardless, he's had 19 sacks in 3 years. Not great but hardly someone who 'doesnt sack the QB'.

Pressures are far more indicative of pass rush effectiveness, and Lawson was fourth amongst edge rushers last season with 64. Pass rush win rate is also a much more reliable statistic than sacks. Lawson finished 3rd in the league there with a win rate of 23.4% behind only TJ Watt and Joey Bosa.

Lawson also received an 84.9 pass rush grade from PFF, which was one among the highest in the NFL and was the highest in the FA class iirc.

$15m for an edge rusher of that calibre is excellent money. That's $1m less than Leonard Floyd, $1.5m less than Bud Dupree (who I assume you think is better than Lawson because he had more sacks), $3m less than Trey Flowers, and is almost half of Joey Bosa's annual average salary.

Is it just the 19 sacks in three years that you have an issue with or are you able to elaborate further on why you disagree?

• Like 2

I am amazed at how fans equate the level of the upcoming season without regard to development. I don't care how much you spend, how many FA's you sign...or far that matter "steal", if you don't develop players, your team will fail in the long run. Drafting and more important...developing your players....is the key to success. 

This is a young team, with a new QB and will have new pieces on the oline. This is NOT the time to spend the teams extra cap. Get Carson a year with the team, and get the oline gelled, and the cap will likely go up next year. Maybe even a lot. Then grab a high profile FA if the opportunity is there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think anyone is against building the team through the draft.  He's doing that but that's not his only path.  He did add Buckner and Wentz via trades as well.  So he is open to that path.  His use of FA has been alright but not great.  I don't like spending money on older FA's that comes with more potential downside.  But making one move or two for a younger proven FA with upside is where I think he could do better.  Especially this year when so many good players were available due to cap restraints.  So here we are weeks before the draft with two big holes to fill  LT and ER as usual.  I think LT is coming from the draft most likely a stab at a ER as well.  Still some time to go so we shall see what comes next.  But like I said so far FA is alright but not great. 

Like I said. . . meh.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

Sacks aren't always indicative of pass rush effectiveness. They're a very unreliable, and often misleading, statistic. Gregory Rousseau should be going in the top 10 of the draft if sacks are a reliable statistic. Regardless, he's had 19 sacks in 3 years. Not great but hardly someone who 'doesnt sack the QB'.

Pressures are far more indicative of pass rush effectiveness, and Lawson was fourth amongst edge rushers last season with 64. Pass rush win rate is also a much more reliable statistic than sacks. Lawson finished 3rd in the league there with a win rate of 23.4% behind only TJ Watt and Joey Bosa.

Lawson also received an 84.9 pass rush grade from PFF, which was one among the highest in the NFL and was the highest in the FA class iirc.

$15m for an edge rusher of that calibre is excellent money. That's $1m less than Leonard Floyd, $1.5m less than Bud Dupree (who I assume you think is better than Lawson because he had more sacks), $3m less than Trey Flowers, and is almost half of Joey Bosa's annual average salary.

Is it just the 19 sacks in three years that you have an issue with or are you able to elaborate further on why you disagree?

I went over all this before FA, stating why I didn't think Lawson was a good pass rusher and didn't want to spend big money on him. I agree that pressures are important, but the importance of pressures is becoming overstated. Pressures don't end plays, in fact, a QB can still make a positive play even when under pressure. A pass rusher with a lot of pressures, but not a lot of sacks, is generally not able to close.

That's Lawson. He doesn't have the physical traits or the production of a high level edge rusher, and that's why I didn't want him. Didn't want Bud Dupree or Leonard Floyd, either. I compared Lawson to Flowers (high pressure rate, doesn't get sacks). I also don't care about his PFF grade.

Joey Bosa got paid because he gets sacks to go along with all those pressures. That's why he didn't reach FA, and why Watt won't. Paying $15m/year for an edge rusher who doesn't make plays isn't my idea of a good FA spend. I'd rather spend the $25m/year (spread over six years, not five) for Bosa, than $15m for Lawson. Because Bosa actually makes plays.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

The 5 sack leading teams in the NFL 2020.

Steelers

Rams

Eagles

Cardinals

Buccs

It seems the number of sacks does equate to how good a D-line is a little bit.  

I think that people are over bullish on the state of this franchise in the future with the whole be patient thing.  We lack at the most expensive positions.  Our stars at less expensive positions are coming up for massive massive pay raises.  I am not confident that when the bill comes due after next season, we will have talent in place in premium postions that is cost effective so that we can sign our non premium studs.

If Wentz becomes a dependable star I think we are in decent shape.  If not, I think all the In Ballard We Trust stuff will look pretty silly.  

I think the guy has gotten us competitve with all the obstacles he's faced, but as if today, I think we are a worse team than last year.  If Wentz isn't really good (and I lean he will be BTW), he won't be as good as Rivers.  I like Taylor now, but he's still just a RB and isn't going to run us to a title.  That hasn't happened since Emmitt Smitt or so.  

I have a lot of doubts about this franchise going forward.  But then hey, I'm a lifelong Cub Fan and always expect the worst possible outcome.

• Like 4

Too early to tell..

I’m sure Ballard will try to fill the two biggest holes (Edge, LT) via the draft. If he doesn’t get his guys and certain players fall in other positions, I think we could see a late free agent add. Clowney? A LT?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I went over all this before FA, stating why I didn't think Lawson was a good pass rusher and didn't want to spend big money on him. I agree that pressures are important, but the importance of pressures is becoming overstated. Pressures don't end plays, in fact, a QB can still make a positive play even when under pressure. A pass rusher with a lot of pressures, but not a lot of sacks, is generally not able to close.

That's Lawson. He doesn't have the physical traits or the production of a high level edge rusher, and that's why I didn't want him. Didn't want Bud Dupree or Leonard Floyd, either. I compared Lawson to Flowers (high pressure rate, doesn't get sacks). I also don't care about his PFF grade.

Joey Bosa got paid because he gets sacks to go along with all those pressures. That's why he didn't reach FA, and why Watt won't. Paying $15m/year for an edge rusher who doesn't make plays isn't my idea of a good FA spend. I'd rather spend the $25m/year (spread over six years, not five) for Bosa, than $15m for Lawson. Because Bosa actually makes plays.

Fair enough. I've not seen any of your previous comments on this so I appreciate the (repeated) explanation.

Lawson's not on the level of Joey Bosa, and I'm certainly not arguing that he is. He's more than 50% of Joey Bosa though, which is why I contend that his contract is reasonable. He's not a top 5 edge rusher, but he's not getting paid like one. He's getting paid like a top 10ish guy, which is exactly what I think he is. That's far and away better than anyone we have on the roster will even come close to.

In a vacuum, I'd take Bosa at $25m vs Lawson $15m. In our specific situation this off-season, I think Lawson was by far the best option available, and would have been an excellent addition.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

The 5 sack leading teams in the NFL 2020.

Steelers

Rams

Eagles

Cardinals

Buccs

It seems the number of sacks does equate to how good a D-line is a little bit.  

No one made any comments regarding correlation between sack numbers and overall team defence. Generating a high number of sacks as a team is obviously going to positively influence overall team defence. My assertion, which isn't a particularly controversial one, was that sack numbers for an individual player don't necessarily correlate to pass rush performance for that individual player. 

12 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Too early to tell..

I’m sure Ballard will try to fill the two biggest holes (Edge, LT) via the draft. If he doesn’t get his guys and certain players fall in other positions, I think we could see a late free agent add. Clowney? A LT?

If Ballard fills these two holes with worthwhile starters out of this upcoming draft and the picks we have, then I would lick his boots if he wanted me to.

1 minute ago, Mackrel829 said:

No one made any comments regarding correlation between sack numbers and overall team defence. Generating a high number of sacks as a team is obviously going to positively influence overall team defence. My assertion, which isn't a particularly controversial one, was that sack numbers for an individual player don't necessarily correlate to pass rush performance for that individual player. 

I typically does correlate to how good of a D-line a team has.  

The top 5 in sacks are all near the top in how good their D-line is.   These were all very good lines last season.  

Steelers

Rams

Eagles

Cardinals

Buccs

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I typically does correlate to how good of a D-line a team has.  

The top 5 in sacks are all near the top in how good their D-line is.   These were all very good lines last season.  

Steelers

Rams

Eagles

Cardinals

Buccs

Yes. Again, no one is disputing that. My assertion, once more, is that sack numbers for individual players do not reliably correlate to pass rush performance for those individual players.

I.e. Bud Dupree had more sacks last season than Carl Lawson. That doesn't mean that Bud Dupree is a better pass rusher than Carl Lawson.

Ballard gonna Ballard. We all know how he operates, and yet every year some writers and fans think this will be the year when he completely scraps his philosophy and goes wild in FA. He has made some strategic moves in both trades (Wentz, Buckner) and FA (Rivers), but he never goes crazy. I like the approach, but I understand why some don’t. 

• Like 1

Building thru the draft and sprinkling in a veteran or two free agents to fill in the blanks is always the best way to build a team - unless you suck at drafting, which Chris Ballard does not.

He addressed the most glaring need for the team and that is a Franchise QB. I don't care about the lackluster year Wentz had last year, he is a franchise type QB and that will bear itself out over the next few years. He did it without giving up a player and without major draft capitol - compared to the rest of the QB trades.

He has addressed either depth or starting OLine with a flurry of free agent signings in Hunt (C/G), Sam Jones (OG), Chris Reed (OG), Jake Benzinger (OT), Julien Davenport (OT), Elijah Nkansah (OT), Sam Tevi (OT), and Casey Tucker (OT) since the end of the season. It's important to remember that an olineman is fickle and can be great for one team and suck for another depending on the linemates, coaches and scheme. 

I will not fall into the trap of saying he did not focus on edge rushers I just think some didn't match what we want motor wise, or perhaps locker room presence wise........and of course most were overpaid to begin with.  I am inclined to think that after Lewis's resurgence last year he feels he can handle left end with Banogu as the designated rusher. On the right side Muhammed plays the run pretty darn well so he likely could start and Turay is the designated rusher. I know that sounds like an unproven commodity but they have to prove it sometime with more PT/Snaps. The draft will likely bring us one (likely to compete as a starter) or two (likely a skills guy that needs coaching up) to fill in the blanks. I would not overlook that Houston could be brought back as a rotational piece, or a Kerrigan could still be brought in as well as a situational guy. I'd be happy adding those two to what we have plus a stud rookie.

Bringing Xavier back was huge as it gives CB and company an opportunity to draft a projectable CB prospect that may not be ready to start now, but in a year or two. Plus, that gives a mental boost to the other young guys which will give them more confidence in refining their abilities. 

So essentially Chris Ballard and company has put themselves in a position to draft best available player instead of forcing a CB, or a DE or an OT. Will they draft those three positions, absolutely they will. But if a TE they want is available in a certain round they can draft that TE versus forcing one of the other 3 spots. I have full confidence that Ballard will have another solid draft and will come out smelling like roses once again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1