Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Darnold traded to Panthers for 2nd (2022), 4th (2022) & 6th round (2021) picks

• chad72 changed the title to Sam Darnold traded to Panthers for 2nd (2022), 4th (2022) & 6th round (2021) picks
2 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Wow. Jets thinking an Ohio State QB is gonna do it for them? 

Zach Wilson, Broadway Zach is what they have in mind.

WTH are the Panthers thinking? Just a 2nd rounder would have done it in 2022, IMO. Ballard reigns supreme with his trade for Wentz, cornered the Eagles, IMO.

• Like 3

Hmm, three picks for Darnold.

(1) '21 6th
(1) '22 2nd

(1) '22 4th

I'm not sure I agree that it's too much.  Yeah, wherever and whenever they are, it's still 3 picks.  But, let's face it, a 6th round pick is almost a throwaway.  And that's the only one this year.  The 2nd and 4th next year are more substantial.

As with any trade, whether or not it's too much is all going to depend on how well he plays.  I'll admit that I'm probably higher on Darnold than many people are -- and I felt like he should've been on the Colts' radar after Rivers' retirement.  I wouldn't have been too upset with this price.

That said, I have more optimism in Wentz than Darnold.  So I'm glad we didn't have to find out.  Anyway, congrats to Sam!

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just a 2nd rounder would have done it in 2022, IMO.

Er, but where does that opinion come from?  Do you think that the Panthers offered above Darnold's actual market value as an opening bid?  Because, assuming they didn't (and that seems a safe assumption...Scott Fitterer, who worked alongside Dodds for a number of years in Seattle, is no *), then whatever they did start at wasn't enough to get it done.

What any of us thinks a player should be worth and what a player actually proves to be worth in trade or FA are often two different things.  I mean, I can see where you'd say that you wouldn't offer any more than a 2nd rounder in '22, but that valuation only exists in a vacuum.  In the real world, you're not only dealing with another team across the table, you're also dealing with other prospective buyers.

As the old saying goes, something is worth what a buyer agrees to pay to acquire it and seller agrees to accept to part with it.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Hmm, three picks for Darnold.

(1) '21 6th
(1) '22 2nd

(1) '22 4th

I'm not sure I agree that it's too much.  Yeah, wherever and whenever they are, it's still 3 picks.  But, let's face it, a 6th round pick is almost a throwaway.  And that's the only one this year.  The 2nd and 4th next year are more substantial.

As with any trade, whether or not it's too much is all going to depend on how well he plays.  I'll admit that I'm probably higher on Darnold than many people are -- and I felt like he should've been on the Colts' radar after Rivers' retirement.  I wouldn't have been too upset with this price.

That said, I have more optimism in Wentz than Darnold.  So I'm glad we didn't have to find out.  Anyway, congrats to Sam!

The thing is, there is no QB controversy here in Indy between Wentz and Eason, in the coach's eyes.

Between Teddy and Sam Darnold, I am not sure what the Panthers accomplish when they have given Teddy a 3 year contract upwards of $60 mil. bringing in Darnold who would have been on his last year forcing the Jets to choose whether or not they pick up the 5th year option in 2022? Most likely, just like Trubisky, they would have let Darnold go. The Panthers could have gotten him in 2022 without those draft picks lost.

That is the reason I felt it was too much. Monetarily, it does not hurt the Panthers because they can cut Darnold loose just like the Jets would have after the 2021 season but how are they going to evaluate him, by cutting Teddy or demoting Teddy? It doesn't make sense on so many levels.

Now, if the Panthers turn around and trade Teddy to the Bears, it might make sense. At this point, it seems like they have paid too much by acting a year too early.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Er, but where does that opinion come from?  Do you think that the Panthers offered above Darnold's actual market value as an opening bid?  Because, assuming they didn't (and that seems a safe assumption...Scott Fitterer, who worked alongside Dodds for a number of years in Seattle, is no *), then whatever they did start at wasn't enough to get it done.

What any of us thinks a player should be worth and what a player actually proves to be worth in trade or FA are often two different things.  I mean, I can see where you'd say that you wouldn't offer any more than a 2nd rounder in '22, but that valuation only exists in a vacuum.  In the real world, you're not only dealing with another team across the table, you're also dealing with other prospective buyers.

As the old saying goes, something is worth what a buyer agrees to pay to acquire it and seller agrees to accept to part with it.

See my response above.

Just now, chad72 said:

See my response above.

Gotcha.  And I do see what you're driving at.

But, let's face it, if you're Matt Rhule or Scott Fitterer, are you going to have that much confidence in Bridgewater....to risk a potentially better option, currently on the market, being back off the market after next season?  I just don't think this is all that much to give up for an insurance policy.  There's absolutely no guarantee that they could acquire SD after next season.  So, if they're at all intrigued by him (and I could see why they are), then they're better off making a slightly richer deal now than waiting until next year hoping for a cheaper one.

Of course, there are limits to that.  But a current year 6th and future year 2nd and 4th doesn't seem like all that much to put on the table, considering their weakness at the position.

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Gotcha.  And I do see what you're driving at.

But, let's face it, if you're Matt Rhule or Scott Fitterer, are you going to have that much confidence in Bridgewater....to risk a potentially better option, currently on the market, being back off the market after next season?  I just don't think this is all that much to give up for an insurance policy.  There's absolutely no guarantee that they could acquire SD after next season.  So, if they're at all intrigued by him (and I could see why they are), then they're better off making a slightly richer deal now than waiting until next year hoping for a cheaper one.

Of course, there are limits to that.  But a current year 6th and future year 2nd and 4th doesn't seem like all that much to put on the table, considering their weakness at the position.

I hope it works out for Sam Darnold, IF he gets the chance due to a Teddy injury or string of bad performances. They are hoping for a Ryan Tannehill like "Adam Gase system failure" deja vu. :) 

Or maybe there is a "Teddy to the Bears" trade around the corner??? 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Wow. Jets thinking an Ohio State QB is gonna do it for them? 

From what I'm gathering rumor is they almost certainly are getting Wilson, rather than Fields. 

• Like 1

Is it just me or do the Jets just not develop players well? I can't put my finger on it but there is just so much inconsistency with that organization. 

I hope he is able to salvage his career even if he is a USC guy. 

• Like 1
Just now, chad72 said:

I hope it works out for Sam Darnold, IF he gets the chance due to a Teddy injury or string of bad performances. They are hoping for a Ryan Tannehill like "Adam Gase system failure" deja vu. :) 

Yeah, clearly.  But even setting the Gase connection aside, I'm sure they saw some untapped potential there that was worth taking a chance on.  Giving up 3 picks to get him suggests something more than a typical backup QB role.  I think it suggests that they don't have a high degree of confidence in TB -- and I can't say that I blame them on that, $63M contract or not.

TB had an OKish season last year.  3700 yards/15 TDs in the air (with 11 picks), another 279/5 on the ground.  But that's not the sort of performance to stake your franchise on.  I think they have to be on the lookout for affordable alternatives -- and Darnold presents one right now.

Bridgewater the higher floor for sure, dependable and can game manage, panthers rolling dice on higher ceiling with Darnold.....I expect Bridgewater to be traded as Panthers have P.J. Walker and Will Grier both on roster as 2nd and 3rd QBs.....Houston a def possibility, Tenn to backup Tannehill, Atlanta to back up Ryan, Denver to compete with Lock if they dont draft a QB........I always liked Teddy hope he lands in a favorable spot returning from that horrific injury was inspiring. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I think we can officially say we won that trade 

Colts got: 6th, 37th and 49th overall and their second-rounder in 2019 

Jets got: 2nd (2022), 4th (2022) & 6th round (2021) 

lol

7 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Bridgewater the higher floor for sure, dependable and can game manage, panthers rolling dice on higher ceiling with Darnold.....I expect Bridgewater to be traded as Panthers have P.J. Walker and Will Grier both on roster as 2nd and 3rd QBs.....Houston a def possibility, Tenn to backup Tannehill, Atlanta to back up Ryan, Denver to compete with Lock if they dont draft a QB........I always liked Teddy hope he lands in a favorable spot returning from that horrific injury was inspiring. 

I feel bad for Teddy. Let's see where he goes. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, chad72 said:

WTH are the Panthers thinking? Just a 2nd rounder would have done it in 2022, IMO. Ballard reigns supreme with his trade for Wentz, cornered the Eagles, IMO.

Ballard had a huge advantage because this is where Wentz wanted to be. That created almost no market outside of Indy for him. Could of been a lot different if the connections for him in Indy weren’t there. That seems like a lot to give up for Darnold. If they keep teddy he is a good vet for Darnold to learn under.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Teddy getting moved now I would think.  Maybe the Pats or Broncos.

I think everyone knows what he is now. Backup material! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Obviously a 2nd next year wouldn't have done it

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

I think we can officially say we won that trade 

Colts got: 6th, 37th and 49th overall and their second-rounder in 2019 

Jets got: 2nd (2022), 4th (2022) & 6th round (2021) 

lol

If we want to compare the Jets' talent for subtracting value, how about comparing them to the Dolphins?

The Jets trade up to #3 for Darnold, spending a 1st and two 2nd's, and then trade Darnold for a 2nd, a 4th and a 6th.

The Dolphins spend a 1st on Laramy Tunsil (13th overall), and through multiple trades, turn him into four 1st's and a 3rd.

My how Darnold's value has fallen.    Obviously Carolina is still gonna be sorting through their QB situation next season.

The idea that they were going to take Mac Jones probably just blew up, not that the idea of taking Jones at #8 ever made much sense anyway.

Jones possibly to NE. or falls to the second round. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

My how Darnold's value has fallen.    Obviously Carolina is still gonna be sorting through their QB situation next season.

The idea that they were going to take Mac Jones probably just blew up, not that the idea of taking Jones at #8 ever made much sense anyway.

Zero chance Mac Jones falls to the 2nd Round 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The odds makers say Mac Jones is gong 3rd to the Niners

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

That would be great for the Colts. Good chance 5 QBs go in the first round before we pick. Could push a blue chip player to us.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

That would be great for the Colts. Good chance 5 QBs go in the first round before we pick. Could push a blue chip player to us.  

But Panthers not taking a QB hurts us.

5 hours ago, craigerb said:

But Panthers not taking a QB hurts us.

WFT and Chicago are picking right before us.  One of them will select a QB if available and anyone wanting to trade up will move ahead of them. 

I think it was a good move by the Panthers.   Many think Darnold can be very good.   He was on the worst team for a QB the past couple years.   The Panthers didn't give up much for a QB taken with the 3rd pick in 2018.  

His pre draft review was as follow:

At the end of the day, Darnold has NFL size, arm strength, accuracy, pocket mobility, poise and field reading capability. 

His floor is solid starter, but he has the ceiling to be one of the top tier quarterbacks in the game as he gains more experience.

I read that Rhule I think when he was up for the jets job got to interview Darnold before he was drafted. They hit it off really well. Darnold  talked a lot about culture ect. I think this is a really good fit for him.

Darnold had the worst start of a career you can imagine. First, he's in New York where even the slightest mistake is front page material. Second, he had the QB killer of a coach, and he really lived up to that billing. Next he has no offence to speak of, no line and no receivers. He was getting killed on every play, his offence game plan was nothing and he had nobody to throw to. Got so bad he started seeing ghosts. He's in a great spot now, a fantastic QB coach, great HC and much better pieces around him. If he's going to make it now's the time..

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Darnold had the worst start of a career you can imagine. First, he's in New York where even the slightest mistake is front page material. Second, he had the QB killer of a coach, and he really lived up to that billing. Next he has no offence to speak of, no line and no receivers. He was getting killed on every play, his offence game plan was nothing and he had nobody to throw to. Got so bad he started seeing ghosts. He's in a great spot now, a fantastic QB coach, great HC and much better pieces around him. If he's going to make it now's the time..

Add on top of that, he had to fight off mono the first month or two of his 2nd season I believe? He's had an unfortunate start to his career for sure. Hopefully Carolina can give him a new start, but he's going to be in a nasty division this year facing that Buccaneer defense twice. 

20 hours ago, chad72 said:

Between Teddy and Sam Darnold, I am not sure what the Panthers accomplish when they have given Teddy a 3 year contract upwards of $60 mil.

They can release T. Bridgewater after June 1 and save almost 8 million on their cap (15 mil dead cap).

bringing in Darnold who would have been on his last year forcing the Jets to choose whether or not they pick up the 5th year option in 2022? Most likely, just like Trubisky, they would have let Darnold go. The Panthers could have gotten him in 2022 without those draft picks lost.

I don't think the Panthers are waiting until 2022, besides a lot can happen over that time and alter the 'landscape' tremendously. They went and got him, and will pick up Darnold's 5th year option too.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/05/panthers-picking-up-sam-darnolds-fifth-year-option/

That is the reason I felt it was too much. Monetarily, it does not hurt the Panthers because they can cut Darnold loose just like the Jets would have after the 2021 season but how are they going to evaluate him, by cutting Teddy or demoting Teddy? It doesn't make sense on so many levels.

Financially feasible after June 1.

Now, if the Panthers turn around and trade Teddy to the Bears, it might make sense. At this point, it seems like they have paid too much by acting a year too early.

I think a big restructure would have to happen before a trade happens. Probably unlikely.

19 hours ago, Drew2975 said:

Is it just me or do the Jets just not develop players well? I can't put my finger on it but there is just so much inconsistency with that organization. 

That is the big Question!  Is it the Jets, or is it really Darnold. Time will tell now. {maybe it's both...}

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Teddy getting moved now I would think.  Maybe the Pats or Broncos.

My feeling is he gets released after June 1.  Maybe the Saints then make a play for him then.  But a restructure and trade might also happen (but not to the Saints...).  I doubt any trade happens without a restructure.

19 hours ago, MPStack said:

I think everyone knows what he is now. Backup material! 

Even in New Orleans? He was 5-0 and fan favorite there (though he was Brees backup).

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I've heard the chatter.  WalterFootball has said that scouts believe its Fields they are after.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Even in New Orleans? He was 5-0 and fan favorite there (though he was Brees backup).

Teddy is Mr. Consistency! He’s a good backup/mediocre starter. 

I don’t feel sorry for him, like others do. 

Carolina trading for Darnold, should be the wake up call for the TB fan club.